• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BL2's "Tiny Tina" is racist - says a couple white guys.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Who was more annoying, Tina or Claptrap?

At least you can start to warp Claptrap's "LOOK AT ME! I'M DANCIN'! I'M DANCIN'!" as "OW! UH! CHECK ME OUT! I'M DANZEN! I'M DANZEN!"

BHK3

Banned
1WEab

1WEbm

1WEeW

LycanXIII

It's obvious that the ones complaining never lived in or around a lower class area. They probably only know what they saw on TV. I live in Kentucky. The "black" population is low in my area, but it doesn't stop white people from acting that way. It's not because they're racist, it's just because of there "culture."

Paranerd

Neo Member
Granted, I haven't played Borderlands 2, but this seems like something someone would have brought up earlier. I recall seeing articles about Letitia in Deus Ex: Human Revolution near launch. Same thing with Mudflap and Skids in Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. Those characters weren't edited post-release, so it will bizarre if it happens to Tiny Tina.

Slang is in every culture but this type of slang originated in black culture and is indelibly associated with it

So someone who is "not black" can't use "black slang"? What nonsense.

Does it also follow that African-Americans can't use "white slang"?

georgc

Gearbox just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Black culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Africa, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the African/American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Borderlands 2 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Gearboxes's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gearbox has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gearbox, publicly apologize and recall Borderlands for 360/PS3/PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Animekatt

Claptrap was infinitely more annoying to me than Tina. I would always cringe every time he spoke.

Edit: As a black woman, I do not find Tina to be racist in the slightest.

Codeblue

Having just now viewed the character for the first time, this argument is really God damn stupid.

She reminds me more of his sister's persona in HAWP than anything else.

You've got to be really sensitive and pretty dense to compare it to blackface.

ezekial45

Banned
This fucking Mike guy has the nerve to ask someone's race and assume they wouldn't be offended if they weren't black.

As a black man (multiracial, technically) this is fucking bullshit. Who does this Mike Sacco think he is?

LycanXIII

Is this guy offended by the hillbilly Scooter and that character's sexual feelings towards his own sister?

No because Scooter's white and the guy is white. He's comfortable with his own race "being made fun of," but feels awkward when presented with something "foreign" to him.

Stop palying the race card White guys that my job har har. As if those 2 would even have an idea what something racist is. Well seriously now. Her character sounds more like a Play on Blaxploitation characters with a modern twist I suppose. Kinda reminded me of this character from Truck Turner in terms of voice http://youtu.be/cehlH8Zgctw (Tons of Foul language)

Derrick01

Banned
This fucking Mike guy has the nerve to ask someone's race and assume they wouldn't be offended if they weren't black.

As a black man (multiracial, technically) this is fucking bullshit. Who does this Mike Sacco think he is?

The voice of the black community apparently.

Marlowe89

So someone who is "not black" can't use "black slang"? What nonsense.

Does it also follow that African-Americans can't use "white slang"?

The funniest part is that he's actually insinuating that this type of slang is inherently black, which is extremely ironic considering his overall point.

Ok. This is the first time i'm hearing about this character. I don't play boarderlands. I just checked out a YT video and i came to the conclusion that people really love to complain about anything. I actually found the character rather funny.

On to the next useless complaint in the world..........

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Gearbox just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Black culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Africa, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the African/American public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Borderlands 2 for either system, nor will they purchase any of Gearboxes's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Gearbox has alienated an entire market with this move.

Gearbox, publicly apologize and recall Borderlands for 360/PS3/PC or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Thread complete

the voice actress for tiny tina has been talking like that well before blands2.

also, kotaku is the worst. why isn't it banned?

also: tiny tina is fantastic. game needed more of her and less (none) of claptrap.

antitrop

I see where they're coming from, and they're coming from a gigantic pile of shit.

There is hardly anything "racist", in almost any connotation of that word, about the character. It might be a little insensitive at worst. Racist implies far worse than these guys on Twitter are giving it credit for.
They should be ashamed of themselves for even bringing this up.

This Mike Sacco guy... I think he seriously need to reevaluate his priorities.

Tiny Tina was the best character in the game. I am white, for whatever that matters.

JABEE

"Verbal blackface" has to be the funniest phrase I've heard today, next to a grown man saying "made me uncomfy."

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
White mans burden? lol, I'm no racist and I find it offensive that it is accepted that white people (males mostly) are somehow supposed to feel quilty when it comes to racism.

I dont think you know what white man's burden actually is

bengraven

I know a shit ton of white people who talk like her. Most of them grew up with or married black or.Hispanic people. The haters saying she's racist can fuck the fuck off.

Shinta

Banned
Seriously though, I watched the video since I haven't played this game, and nothing about that is even remotely racist. I actually liked the character.

Mike Sacco, it's time to start your Kickstarter video trope series. Should be a huge hit.

Top Bottom