• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Clover Anime |OT|Studio Pierrot's answer to Naruto

Lum1n3s

I'm not sure if this is going to turn out great or not, haven't seen the first episode but read the first two volumes when they first came out and Asta got on my fucking nerves. Reminded me of a much more annoying version of Naruto. The premise is pretty dope though but to me it felt like your stereotypical Shonen.

Man. I actually really enjoy the manga, but Asta's voice actively annoyed me multiple times throughout the first episode. I'm gonna try to stick through it though

jrcbandit

Wow, I thought you guys might be exaggerating, but that has to be the worst native voice acting I've ever heard for an anime.

True Asta voice is really annoying, hope I will get used to it, but I will probably watch the dub instead.
I wonder what Japan thinks of his voice acting?

So do funi simuldubs not come out... simultaneously?

They haven't confirmed the date yet, but usually, simuldubs are 2 weeks later.

trejo

Black Clover 1

loud-noises-gif-16-1.gif

I made it about a third through the episode before I simply couldn't take it anymore. I'd like to know who thought it'd be a good idea to have the main character yell every single one of his lines in the most obnoxiously loud way possible because that person needs a stern talking to.

Apart from that, we have a shounen tale about a spunky short-tempered kid who dreams of becoming the next __________ but who has a hard time fitting in because he has no chakra/cosmo/ki/stand/magic/nen to speak of. He also has an edgy dark-haired childhood friend who is just too aloof and cool to show any emotions and who will more than likely become his rival in the future. Now, I couldn't even finish this first episode but I'm willing to bet that at some point it is revealed that loud protagonist-kun is harboring some sort of super amazing hidden/forbidden power that he won't manage to fully control yet until at least a couple of training arcs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 dattebayo out of 10.

Chase17

It is weird to split up chapter 1. I mean chapter 1 is more or less a pilot for most serious. Doesn't help to stop in the middle of it.

caliph95

Black Clover 1

loud-noises-gif-16-1.gif

I made it about a third through the episode before I simply couldn't take it anymore. I'd like to know who thought it'd be a good idea to have the main character yell every single one of his lines in the most obnoxiously loud way possible because that person needs a stern talking to.

Apart from that, we have a shounen tale about a spunky short-tempered kid who dreams of becoming the next __________ but who has a hard time fitting in because he has no chakra/cosmo/ki/stand/magic/nen to speak of. He also has an edgy dark-haired childhood friend who is just too aloof and cool to show any emotions and who will more than likely become his rival in the future. Now, I couldn't even finish this first episode but I'm willing to bet that at some point it is revealed that loud protagonist-kun is harboring some sort of super amazing hidden/forbidden power that he won't manage to fully control yet until at least a couple of training arcs. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1 dattebayo out of 10.
He has rare (I think never seen before
and maybe related to a demon) anti magic
magic so you're not wrong

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Black Clover 1

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/loud-noises-gif-16-1.gif[IMG]

1 dattebayo out of 10.[/QUOTE]

I miss AnimeGAF's cynicism.

(You're 100% on point.)

Daingurse

The main character's voice is fucking hilarious. Unfortunately this shit feels really derivative. Not sure if I'll keep up with this series.

Pein

Banned
Oh god that voice, fuck that shit. It’s almost as bad as old lady goku.

Pierrot should just finish up bleach and expand it and make it better like they do for boruto.

That voice was enough to make me check out, whoever OK'd it must've been on something.

Still finished the episode, it's the most generic shounen plot you could think of. (As has already been detailed in a prior post)

I know Asta is meant to be insufferable (he's not even endearing), a lot of Shonen protags are. But hoooo boy did they screw this up.
I know Crunchyroll and Funi are pushing this series hard like they did MHA. Both come from Shonen Jump and thus have a pedigree to them. But Asta's voice may hurt it in the long run.

I've gotten used to Nozawa's voice, and she's awesome, and I first saw DB through the dub.
I'm amazed at the fact she's 80 and can still scream like a metal song.

What baffles me are the people that say Linda Young is the definitive Freeza. Ryusei Nakao brings class to the role, and Chris Ayres matches it to a T. I hope Daman Mills can be a suitable replacement when the dub reaches the Universal Survival arc.

You gotta admit, she made a great genkai in yu yu hakusho.

Episode 2 was beautiful and Yuno so into hist Asta. I love how inspiration and and great it is and I think it looks good all the time.

Also love the idea of Asta saving the powerful Yuno, we need more.
DLxwbwXUIAAx-Xz.jpg:small
DLxwbvPVoAEmjct.jpg:small

Chase17

Cross posting
Black Clover 02
There's really no reason for them to not just have all of chapter 1 in episode 1. We have a three minute recap. Then most of the episode is a flashback to set up a scene that has already been intermittently cut to during the previous episode/this recap that I think everyone understood the gist off. The fight itself looks nice, but it is just one hit. Really should have done this all in one go.

DLxixPhXkAEkXPM.jpg

And thus, the pinnacle of shonen rivalry was born

It appears that the next episode is going to be full on Asta and Yuno traveling, where in the manga chapter 2 jumps six months right to their destination. I knew I should have been worried when Yuno was all over the op/ed lol. Guess I'll have to wait until episode 4-5 to get to some of the more fun characters.

I like the OP and ED songs.

Wow its Naruto.

Loudmouth hyperactive protagonist check.
Douchey stoic superiority complex rival check.
Wants to be wizard king/Hokage check.
Nobody takes him seriously and makes fun of him check.

List goes on and on.

I've only watched a couple preview videos (mainly the memes sprouting from Asta's voice, lol), but I imagine I'll only appreciate the production values. The manga's nothing special and the beginning is especially tired. It's just Naruto and Fairy Tail mashed together.

Also, that we're doing the 2908325089th song and dance surrounding Nozawa's Goku is just...really? Really?

What baffles me are the people that say Linda Young is the definitive Freeza.

Up there with 4Kids Sanji as the worst miscasts in anime dubbing history.

kewlmyc

Cross posting
Black Clover 02
There's really no reason for them to not just have all of chapter 1 in episode 1. We have a three minute recap. Then most of the episode is a flashback to set up a scene that has already been intermittently cut to during the previous episode/this recap that I think everyone understood the gist off. The fight itself looks nice, but it is just one hit. Really should have done this all in one go.

It appears that the next episode is going to be full on Asta and Yuno traveling, where in the manga chapter 2 jumps six months right to their destination. I knew I should have been worried when Yuno was all over the op/ed lol. Guess I'll have to wait until episode 4-5 to get to some of the more fun characters.

I like the OP and ED songs.

Studio Pierrot is going the "long lasting shounen" route with this series, with no seasonal/yearly breaks like MHA is getting. So yeah, expect the pacing to be god awful.

Chase17

Even if the fight was one swing, I like that they at least tried to add some flair to it.

Studio Pierrot is going the "long lasting shounen" route with this series, with no seasonal/yearly breaks like MHA is getting. So yeah, expect the pacing to be god awful.

Hmm. If that is the case at least they seem to be a bit smart about it by putting some in now where it (kind of) makes sense, so we don't get a huge amount of filler all at once later on (though that point would eventually get reached anyways).

Black Clover could benefit from "filler" (IE adapting the light novel), I'm also not upset with them expanding Asta and Yuno's journey to the magic knight entrance exam. You could still do these things without stretching the canon content so thin like they're doing. This adaptation seems completely botched.

caliph95

Oh yeah especially with the manga being fairly new the pacing is going to be bad if what bassforever said it's true both 1 and 2 could have easily been one episode

Oh yeah especially with the manga being fairly new the pacing is going to be bad if what bassforever said it's true both 1 and 2 could have easily been one episode

Here is a simple solution if you wanted to extend the first chapter into 2 episodes

Elongate the fights

Have Yuno actually fight with the bullies (it's what they are).

Have Asta have a longer fight with the thief, heck go nuts maybe have Asta free Yuno (or Yuno breaks free) and the two have to work together learning about the extent of their new powers together.

Another suggestion would be doing what One Piece did, start in media res perhaps at the
dungeon arc
with some narration by Asta after a few minutes of action of "I'll never forget the day we made our promise, and the vows we remade the day we got our grimoire *flash back to chapter 1*"

I highly expect there to be original storylines (filler) since even Twin Star Exorcist, a manga that had less than 30 chapters at the time the anime came, still got an original filler arc as well as other moments in its 52 episode run from Pierrot.

Osukaa

Voice actor for Asta made me quit the show in the first 5 minutes lol

Ughhh I'm on the same boat... Every word that comes out of his mouth is an annoying yell or a complaint... His voice is the worse part of the anime to me as well. He sounds like a reject BlackStar lol. I figure it'll get better or ill just get used to the bleeding from my ears..

caliph95

Ughhh I'm on the same boat... Every word that comes out of his mouth is an annoying yell or a complaint... His voice is the worse part of the anime to me as well. He sounds like a reject BlackStar lol. I figure it'll get better or ill just get used to the bleeding from my ears..
Funny enough Black star is a parody of heroes like Asta

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
See this is why they often get women to voice characters like that. Goku, Luffy, Gon, Naruto

I'm guessing the first simul-dub episode will be next week, two weeks after the premiere. I predict Greg Ayres as Asta.

I liked episode 2 as it gave Asta's determination to become Wizard King some sort of rationale. Also having read the manga, Yuno is
not just an edgy Sasuke clone. He respects Asta and treats him as an equal and is sometime partly humorous.

The earlier parts of the manga definitely channels parts of Naruto and Fairy Tail. The latter is a bit better when it focuses on the fun characters and the fights filled with teamwork and strategy. It also completely embraces it's cliche-ness but that is it's charm for me. It does not do anything new but it is a fun read. While Academia's recent chapters
the mafia arc
sometimes bored me with it's pacing, I am still constantly wanting to read more of Black Clover.

Also regarding Asta being some kind of chosen one,
He is a chosen one in the sense that he has the antimagic grimoire. But as stated by recent chapters he does not have any special blood in him aside from the fact that he has no magic.

Does any one also know how long the anime will go for? One thing I can appreciate about fillers in this os that the side characters can be developed more. Black Clover's slower chapters are some of the best moments in the manga.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Funny enough Black star is a parody of heroes like Asta
Black Star post Mifune fight in the manga becomes genuinely great. Becomes a whole lot more competent and serious and his usual shounen boasts become no longer idle boasting.

He's definitely an exaggerated parody though.

Chase17

So apparently we're gonna see Black Clover get a 51 episode production according to yonkou productions on twitter

Oh nice. Hopefully that means they will at least adapt through
seabed temple arc.

Side note,
Yami
better appear by the end of episode 3 lol.

Top Bottom