• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert JP OBT is live- Facebook registration & English patch available

IUwK0sd.png

The Japanese version Black Desert online has just went live this Friday (May 8th).
Overall, it's similar to the Korean server, but account registration is a lot more simple in JP. You can just create an account by just linking your facebook account. IP block is there, but a vpn program can easily bypass it.

Guides:
- VPN Gate + Softether plugin : here
* Install, choose VPN Gate relay server, choose a Japanese VPN, done
- Account registration guide : here
- You'll need to insert a Japanese captcha right after registration.
* Use this to solve the captcha : http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/hiragana.htm
- Download : here
* The golden boxes in the middle are the direct client download (.exe and zip)
* Fast download trick from Reddit : here.
- English patch : here
* You'll need to re-apply the patch each time the game get a new update.
- To play the game, turn on the VPN, login to the website and click start game.
- WTFast is recommended to play the game and apparently, mandatory, as vpn connection tend to die randomly.
* How to play with WTFast : here
Alternative WTFast trick:
Same here actually, I followed the guide and WTFast and SoftEther don't seem to cooperate, the game never hooks into WTFast or outright never launches, anyone knows what's up with that? I'm using the WTFast 4.0 beta for reference :/

EDIT! HA got it to work! :D

Here is a little guide:

1: Start SoftEther and connect to a Japanese VPN
2: Start WTFast select Tokyo JP4 as the server, but do not click "Start Game" yet
3: Start Black Desert and wait till you are at the title-screen
4: Disconnect from SoftEther and close it
5: Wait till your normal internet connection is restored
6: Go back to WTFast and press Start Game and let it do its GPN thing
7: Once WTFast is done, switch back to Black Desert's title-screen and start!

Some screens:

Some notes:
Important note for people who are playing this with little or no Japanese ability: if you go on a conversation-rampage in the "general shout" chat and out yourself as a foreigner you risk having your account closed.

Thus far it has been mostly Russian players who have taken the biggest beating but it should be common sense not to make a nuisance of yourself if you're already breaking rules to get in.

My tip is to keep communication between whispering, party or guild chat channels. Using the "general" chat (全体) is risky business.

Edit:

I might add some details about the state of the game. Right now it's a glorified OBT called Open Service. The scope of the world is approximately 60% of that found in the current version of the Korean client which has access to the arid eastern coastal region of the first continent and some places down south. It is also behind in playable classes, the upcoming classes are called Blader, Valkyrie and a female variant of the Blader called Plum (literally). There will be cash shop glamour and quality of life expansions coming but the publishing body (Pmang) haven't released any details.

Have some pictures:

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Tried playing it for a bit on Friday, but sadly my notebook can't handle it even on lower settings...

Ferrio

Banned
Would like to try it out, but not enough to jump through all those hoops. I've experienced those english patches before too, don't wanna wade through google translated quests.

Would like to try it out, but not enough to jump through all those hoops. I've experienced those english patches before too, don't wanna wade through google translated quests.

As far as I know, there are very limited quests in the game. Most of the time, we'll be fighting mobs, not doing quests.
But yeah, we won't understand the story.

Can you disconnect the VPN after login and already in game?

From what I've read, yes.
Cut the VPN on server selection screen.

Sophia

I considered it, but I couldn't get the download speed for the client to go very fast. An 18 GB download at 200-300 KB/second doesn't sound very appealing.

I'll try some other time once the VPN isn't needed to download. :\

Ah, good idea. I'll give it a shot.

EDIT: Didn't work. Even the 2GB client is going to take a few hours, and cutting the VPN just kills the download.

Which download method are you using, the downloader or direct links?
I'm downloading from the direct links without vpn just fine.
I'm using IDM though. Download later, cut the vpn, then start download.

Sophia

Which download method are you using, the downloader or direct links?
I'm downloading from the direct links without vpn just fine.
I'm using IDM though. Download later, cut the vpn, then start download.

I've tried all three methods. Both direct links and the download manager. None of them work for me. Cutting the VPN cancels them all.

EDIT: Scratch that. I managed to get it working through the direct download link. The speed isn't terribly fast tho. Only going at 1 MB a second.

Beats

The download took pretty long for me (around 2 hours for both files). I only played for an hour or so, but the game looks really nice so far and the archer is pretty fun to play.

Hikami

Going to take around 2 hours to download, ah well. Guess I'll just leave that on while I sleep and try it tomorrow.

It's better than the KR version which requires a KSSN

I felt so weird buying a KSSN way back when to play TERA before it was even announced for the U.S. I really wanted to play that game something fierce.

I have really looked into Black Desert much, other than the insane character creator video way back when. I should probably research more.

I've tried all three methods. Both direct links and the download manager. None of them work for me. Cutting the VPN cancels them all.

EDIT: Scratch that. I managed to get it working through the direct download link. The speed isn't terribly fast tho. Only going at 1 MB a second.

You might also want try this trick from Reddit.

honestly I just wanna create characters...

Yeah, me too.
I probably won't invest too much of my time in this version. Just creating characters and strolling around until the Witcher 3 released.

Jijidasu

Important note for people who are playing this with little or no Japanese ability: if you go on a conversation-rampage in the "general shout" chat and out yourself as a foreigner you risk having your account closed.

Thus far it has been mostly Russian players who have taken the biggest beating but it should be common sense not to make a nuisance of yourself if you're already breaking rules to get in.

My tip is to keep communication between whispering, party or guild chat channels. Using the "general" chat (全体) is risky business.

Edit:

I might add some details about the state of the game. Right now it's a glorified OBT called Open Service. The scope of the world is approximately 60% of that found in the current version of the Korean client which has access to the arid eastern coastal region of the first continent and some places down south. It is also behind in playable classes, the upcoming classes are called Blader, Valkyrie and a female variant of the Blader called Plum (literally). There will be cash shop glamour and quality of life expansions coming but the publishing body (Pmang) haven't released any details.

Have some pictures:

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That is way too much work just to fool around with a character creator.

Ashodin

Edit:

Have some pictures:

This is why I'm considering buying an KSSN for the K-version, the english patch for that version is good too. Plus I can play Blader!

is the official site down or something? can't access it even with the vpn...unless I did something wrong with the vpn lol.

edit: yeah seems like something is wrong with vpn

Edit:

Have some pictures:

Thanks for the heads up.
Added it to the OP.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
is the official site down or something? can't access it even with the vpn...unless I did something wrong with the vpn lol.

edit: yeah seems like something is wrong with vpn

The site is up :)

Hikami

Game downloaded faster than I thought so tried it out for a bit. Surprised I can actually run it, on High settings @ 60fps even. Character customization is crazy. Just skimmed over it since I'd be here all night if I tried everything. I'll check out the rest tomorrow.

Top Bottom