• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Desert Online |OT| Come on in, the sand's fine [Mediah Update]

Ferr986

Meh, don't know what happened but since last patch my game runs like shit. I just can't farm because it goes to sub 20 in grind spots.

Meh, don't know what happened but since last patch my game runs like shit. I just can't farm because it goes to sub 20 in grind spots.

Same for me. GTX OC 970, and I cannot get more than 15 fps in heidel. Everything set to low. Something went wrong with performance this patch.

Must be a memory leak of some sort. Probably that turtle making it run slow as shiiittttttttttt

Bastos

Friends, I have some questions:

- I'm at level 42 at the moment with about 35/45 AP/DP, it that good for my level? I heard that the Vangertz Shield(green) was BiS and got it with the amity system, it's 8+ at the moment.

- How do I know what gear/stats are ideal for my class(Warrior), I read some people saying that it is Evasion and Accuracy, but why? And how do I even check these stats? I never saw my attack missing, I'm lost here.

- Are the enhancement stats raised with gear or leveled up?

- What should I focus first regarding Training Stats?

- Why do people get so crazy about Witch Earring(don't know if that's the name in the NA release). It just adds 5 AP. I don't get what's so special.

- The only way I'm making money is through auction house, selling stuff that I get. I put some workers to gather Potato and only that. Yesterday I got an Artisan Worker, is there an ideal place I can put him and get some money?

- Still on the money topic, can I really get rich by optimizing nodes and stuff? If yes, is there a really good guide somewhere? What are my other options for getting some money?

Thanks! And sorry for so many questions.

Friends, I have some questions:

- I'm at level 42 at the moment with about 35/45 AP/DP, it that good for my level? I heard that the Vangertz Shield(green) was BiS and got it with the amity system, it's 8+ at the moment.

It'd be best if you can get to +14 or +15 on all your gear when your lvl 56. Throw your blackstones at your gear. Enhance your weakest gear first as you build up failstacks. Vangertz is fine. This guide might be beneficial for you if you are new; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pOJYfMQPIA&t=1s

- How do I know what gear/stats are ideal for my class(Warrior), I read some people saying that it is Evasion and Accuracy, but why? And how do I even check these stats? I never saw my attack missing, I'm lost here.

BDO is full of hidden stats you cannot see. Speculation is that some classes benefit more from accuracy than others. It's not that you miss swings in the traditional MMO sense, as this game is quite action heavy. It's that stats are kept from the player on purpose. Grunil is a really good solid armor. I's widely available, have 2 slots for upgrades, good defense, and a lot of people consider it the best all around armor.

Are the enhancement stats raised with gear or leveled up?

Gear.

Remember that armors or weapons are not level bound or class bound. you can play your warrior, upgrade the gear, and then give the gear to another character when you start out.

What should I focus first regarding Training Stats?

Stats? I don't follow.

Why do people get so crazy about Witch Earring(don't know if that's the name in the NA release). It just adds 5 AP. I don't get what's so special.

To upgrade accessories; Necklaces, rings, bracelets, you need to smash two of them together- If you fail, you lose both of them. You have a small chance for them to combine into a stronger version.
This makes it so that a lot of the gear in the game remains desired. People constantly need more identical gear to their own to lvl up. So people need many many witches earings to see if they can get a better Witches Earring. It's difficult to enhance. Cost a lot of money.

The only way I'm making money is through auction house, selling stuff that I get. I put some workers to gather Potato and only that. Yesterday I got an Artisan Worker, is there an ideal place I can put him and get some money?

Put the artisian worker on Alejandros Farm (Cooking Honey). Sells very nicely and fast on the auction house. Alejandros farm is just north of Heidel.

Still on the money topic, can I really get rich by optimizing nodes and stuff? If yes, is there a really good guide somewhere? What are my other options for getting some money?

Incendar Guides; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1ezEU3fQFn4zHjKeTDmFKZDyFaYASC5i

/ Many many different ways to make a lot of money.

What I suggest you do is to you begin getting into life quests. Rinku Talks did a walkthrough of all the lifequests (by black spirit). They introduce you and give you quests to help teach you many of the essential knowledges you need. You cannot make ingots and plywood of the bat- And those are the ones you need to learn to make some solid income. Some of these also yield good/decent rewards; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRj_tcysJk&index=1&list=PLje5-FmLusCY9duT6UXHxwcDEMfPh993-&t

You need to get your energy levelled up and you need more contribution points. Energy and Contribution are just as important as your characters level. Morrolan has some good videos as well; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC130oC2JmKYmdPQhJ2tVLog

Gin-Shiio

Patch Notes for this week's update in KR

This update is special in that it made major balance changes for a lot of classes. I'll let you have a look at your own, but standout changes to me are:
  • Dark Knight's survivability was nerfed as her dodge mechanics have been reworked. Might be a net positive for PvE, but definitely is a massive downgrade for PvP
  • Ranger gains increased or newly-added WP recovery on her Awakening skills. This has been requested for ages, and effectively solved the class' WP problem
  • Valkyrie is buffed across the board with increased damage for her Awakening skills as well as reduced cooldowns and stamina consumption
  • If you're a Maehwa, Musa, Sorc or Warrior main, the patch might be disappointing to you as barely any or no changes have been made to these classes
Balance changes usually make it over around the same time, so expect these changes to go into effect for us in two weeks.

Ferr986

Same for me. GTX OC 970, and I cannot get more than 15 fps in heidel. Everything set to low. Something went wrong with performance this patch.

Must be a memory leak of some sort. Probably that turtle making it run slow as shiiittttttttttt

Seems like a quite a bit of people are having problem with framerate. I literally cannot play (unless I just fish) with this issue.

Patch Notes for this week's update in KR

This update is special in that it made major balance changes for a lot of classes. I'll let you have a look at your own, but standout changes to me are:
  • Dark Knight's survivability was nerfed as her dodge mechanics have been reworked. Might be a net positive for PvE, but definitely is a massive downgrade for PvP
  • Ranger gains increased or newly-added WP recovery on her Awakening skills. This has been requested for ages, and effectively solved the class' WP problem
  • If you're a Maehwa, Musa, Sorc or Warrior main, the patch might be disappointing to you as barely any or no changes have been made to these classes

I doubt the Ranger buff is going to be enough for her MP problems, but I hope so ! (now, there's more Ranger issues other than MP).

Also, the DK nerf, I don't it's much about being a huge downgrade on PvP just more about putting it on the level of other classes, like Sorc. People is going crazy about it though lol

Gin-Shiio

Also, the DK nerf, I don't it's much about being a huge downgrade on PvP just more about putting it on the level of other classes, like Sorc. People is going crazy about it though lol

I agree with you. Dark Knight's iframes made it a nightmare to fight, and frankly wasn't even fair. But the change is massive, so expect a lot of people to reroll to Mystic and DK Dandes to pop up on the market. You know how the playerbase works.
And I forgot to mention, Valks have been buffed substantially!

Bastos

It'd be best if you can get to +14 or +15 on all your gear when your lvl 56. Throw your blackstones at your gear. Enhance your weakest gear first as you build up failstacks. Vangertz is fine. This guide might be beneficial for you if you are new; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pOJYfMQPIA&t=1s

BDO is full of hidden stats you cannot see. Speculation is that some classes benefit more from accuracy than others. It's not that you miss swings in the traditional MMO sense, as this game is quite action heavy. It's that stats are kept from the player on purpose. Grunil is a really good solid armor. I's widely available, have 2 slots for upgrades, good defense, and a lot of people consider it the best all around armor.

Gear.

Remember that armors or weapons are not level bound or class bound. you can play your warrior, upgrade the gear, and then give the gear to another character when you start out.

Stats? I don't follow.

To upgrade accessories; Necklaces, rings, bracelets, you need to smash two of them together- If you fail, you lose both of them. You have a small chance for them to combine into a stronger version.
This makes it so that a lot of the gear in the game remains desired. People constantly need more identical gear to their own to lvl up. So people need many many witches earings to see if they can get a better Witches Earring. It's difficult to enhance. Cost a lot of money.

Put the artisian worker on Alejandros Farm (Cooking Honey). Sells very nicely and fast on the auction house. Alejandros farm is just north of Heidel.

Incendar Guides; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1ezEU3fQFn4zHjKeTDmFKZDyFaYASC5i

/ Many many different ways to make a lot of money.

What I suggest you do is to you begin getting into life quests. Rinku Talks did a walkthrough of all the lifequests (by black spirit). They introduce you and give you quests to help teach you many of the essential knowledges you need. You cannot make ingots and plywood of the bat- And those are the ones you need to learn to make some solid income. Some of these also yield good/decent rewards; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRj_tcysJk&index=1&list=PLje5-FmLusCY9duT6UXHxwcDEMfPh993-&t

You need to get your energy levelled up and you need more contribution points. Energy and Contribution are just as important as your characters level. Morrolan has some good videos as well; https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC130oC2JmKYmdPQhJ2tVLog
Thank you so much for such thorough explanation. I'll watch all those videos when I get home.

And the by stats I mean those related to running, the one about walking with heavy backpack, etc.

lionpants

Most viable way to level up?

I was hoping you could just grind (like Lineage II), is this possible? Most of the story seems pretty throw away.

Gin-Shiio

I was hoping you could just grind (like Lineage II), is this possible? Most of the story seems pretty throw away.

Mindless grinding is very much possible, and what a lot of people do past their first character. Here's three steps to make levelling while doing it an enjoyably quick experience:
  • Equip accessoires boosting your accuracy. This will help you immensely with hitting enemies of a higher level
  • Upgrade your weapon and armor early on (+10 is sufficient), as it will trivialize enemies up to the 50s
  • Activate your daily exp boosts through the rewards tab
Something nice about the story progression is that arcs are very much standalone. Even if you were to hate arc a, arc b will still be available as soon as you hit the necessary level.

lionpants

Mindless grinding is very much possible, and what a lot of people do past their first character. Here's three steps to make levelling while doing it an enjoyably quick experience:
  • Equip accessoires boosting your accuracy. This will help you immensely with hitting enemies of a higher level
  • Upgrade your weapon and armor early on (+10 is sufficient), as it will trivialize enemies up to the 50s
  • Activate your daily exp boosts through the rewards tab
Something nice about the story progression is that arcs are very much standalone. Even if you were to hate arc a, arc b will still be available as soon as you hit the necessary level.
Great. Thanks.

Mephala

Most viable way to level is to grind. I think dulfy has a 1-56 guide that I use to follow. You don't even really need the exp boost unto late 30s or 50s from my experience as you level real quick any way if you fight the right mobs. Using the buff early sometimes me as it's wasted as you can out grind the spot and spend needless time trekking to the next location for better exp.

Grylvak

Just bought this game and waiting for it to install. I've never played a MMO before but this one seemed fun. Anyone have any tips for a newbie?

Mephala

Feels bad when you see other classes get stuff in an update but nothing happens to your mains or you just get a costume that you don't even like the look of.

I am so ready to try Mystic. I need a new class to melt enemies with.

Mephala

I always find it hard to tell any way. Also, with most classes they get a noticeable weapon change but with both Striker and Mystic they go from gauntlets punch and kicks into more punch and kicks. I guess thats why they get the temporary pop in support from the muscleman/dragon.

Gin-Shiio

I just purchased my first value pack off the marketplace! Praise be Minty!
tenor.gif

Fitz

Damn, that's some mighty fine luck, congrats! I've been trying and failing to get a costume for what feels like an eternity.

I don't understand the pre-order system. I put down 150m for a dandelion Chakram and that shit still goes to the marketplace instead of to a pre-order, because I get notifications that it gets posted. It doesn't help that only like 1 shows per week at the most. Kunoichi isn't a popular class, but I wonder if throwing down 200m on a pre-order would actually help. Makes me wish I paid 70m for the Muskans off of night trader when I saw it instead of trying to pre-order the weapon.

Mephala

I don't know. i read the price for pre-orders is ridiculously high and even then its RNG whether it goes to pre-order or regular market place. If it hits the pre-order queue then it goes to the highest payer I think.

I'd probably just try my luck at Karanda and the Night Vendor.

Mithos

I don't know. i read the price for pre-orders is ridiculously high and even then its RNG whether it goes to pre-order or regular market place. If it hits the pre-order queue then it goes to the highest payer I think.

That's exactly how it works.
And yes something that gets put up for say 150m can actually have a pre-order bid of 100-200million more then that depending on item.

I've personally been very lucky though and gotten all weapons, primary, secondary, awakened (for 2 characters) at around the set price at the market +20-30m on one or two items.

Hubb

I don't understand the pre-order system. I put down 150m for a dandelion Chakram and that shit still goes to the marketplace instead of to a pre-order, because I get notifications that it gets posted. It doesn't help that only like 1 shows per week at the most. Kunoichi isn't a popular class, but I wonder if throwing down 200m on a pre-order would actually help. Makes me wish I paid 70m for the Muskans off of night trader when I saw it instead of trying to pre-order the weapon.

150m is probably not enough for a Dandelion. You might get lucky since it is for a less popular class, but I'd be surprised if the top preorder for it wasn't around 500m.

Ferr986

Black Desert Online has sold more than 530,000 copies on Steam, has 7.65 million registered users

If you've paid any attention to Steam's most popular games listing, you might have noticed Black Desert Online has, surprisingly, occupied a top spot for months now. Despite launching all the way back in May, the MMO continues to be a huge hit. Right now, its developer, Pearl Abyss, is seeking a listing on the Korean Stock Exchange. As a result, they've released some interesting details in a recent press conference that charts just how successful the MMO really is.

According to Kyung In Jung, CEO of Pearl Abyss, Black Desert Online currently operates in 100 different countries across seven regions. Jung says that 7.65 million people have registered accounts to play the game (though keep in mind that doesn't indicate active users). As a result, Black Desrt has brought in a whopping ₩340 billion ($301 million USD) to date. That's impressive since, according to Jung, Black Desert Online only cost a paltry ₩1.2 billion ($1 million USD) to make.

Since launching on Steam, Jung reports that Black Desert Online has sold 530 thousand copies, which, while only a small percentage of other huge 2017 hits like PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, is impressive. That translates into just over $1.3 million in sales. Few Korean MMOs see that much success in the West in such a short time.

Taking that all into consideration, it's no surprise that Pearl Abyss is working on other MMOs. According to Jung, four other games are currently in development that "might have the keyword 'MMO.'"

Good for them. But they really should optimize their engine. I'd really, really like to see BDO with much better draw distance and vastly reduced popup.
We can only hope the Xbox version remaster will bring a general sense of optimization, and not just added post processing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Good for them. But they really should optimize their engine. I'd really, really like to see BDO with much better draw distance and vastly reduced popup.
We can only hope the Xbox version remaster will bring a general sense of optimization, and not just added post processing.

I think it's funny how the poor draw distance optimisation has been worked into a gameplay mechanic.

I'd happily pay big money to remove the pop in from the game.

Ferr986

I mean, they STILL haven't fixed the FPS issues some of us had since that update from August, so yeah tech wise they are very bad.

I left till they give a damn to fix it, because otherwise it's unplayable to me.

Btw next update will probably be Kama pt.1.

Skar

I have been looking into seriously immersing myself into an mmo and I've decided that this is going to be the one when it comes out on xbox. It'll be perhaps my first true Xbox one x timesink and my first real Xbox timesink in general since the original Xbox days.

In the meantime I have ESO on my regular ps4 and I enjoy path of exile very much although that isn't true mmo. ESO will be like an introduction to the modern mmo for me. I haven't played since ever quest on ps2.

Gin-Shiio

I have been looking into seriously immersing myself into an mmo and I've decided that this is going to be the one when it comes out on xbox. It'll be perhaps my first true Xbox one x timesink and my first real Xbox timesink in general since the original Xbox days.

In the meantime I have ESO on my regular ps4 and I enjoy path of exile very much although that isn't true mmo. ESO will be like an introduction to the modern mmo for me. I haven't played since ever quest on ps2.

Black Desert is very much a sandbox-type MMO, and about as immersive as they come. You've made a great pick. I have no doubt the game will look stunning on the console either.
The release is still a couple of months off, but I'll be responsible for the xbox OT then. I hope I'll be able to include all information needed to help out a beginner.

I'm really intrigued about this. It seems like it has a pace of its own and can actually cater to a pretty casual play style. Two toddlers, work + a mile long backlog of other games generally limit my MMORPG game time to few hours a week, max. So I don't feel like paying a monthly subscription for the likes of WoW, but I would love an MMO to just jump in and spend an hour or two occasionally.

How active is the Gaf guild on the EU side?

Mephala

I'm really intrigued about this. It seems like it has a pace of its own and can actually cater to a pretty casual play style. Two toddlers, work + a mile long backlog of other games generally limit my MMORPG game time to few hours a week, max. So I don't feel like paying a monthly subscription for the likes of WoW, but I would love an MMO to just jump in and spend an hour or two occasionally.

How active is the Gaf guild on the EU side?

I've seen some EU gaffers on the forum but I don't think there is an actual active EU Gaf Guild. NA GAF guild is hanging in there but active wouldn't be the best word either, well, a few members maybe.

I've seen some EU gaffers on the forum but I don't think there is an actual active EU Gaf Guild. NA GAF guild is hanging in there but active wouldn't be the best word either, well, a few members maybe.

Ah, that's too bad. Still on the fence about getting this. Probably will at some point,just got to look into it a bit more first.

Gin-Shiio

Ah, that's too bad. Still on the fence about getting this. Probably will at some point,just got to look into it a bit more first.

Nothing better to make up your mind than give the game a shot, right? You can sign up for a 7-day trial through their website. One thing to keep in mind: accounts created there cannot be used to play on Steam and vice versa.

Ferr986

For what I did read Kama 1 is pretty useless, camps are for lvl 60s and the city is introduced in Kama 2. They should have put them both together IMO.

Also, STILL waiting for the FPS fix some players (me included) are experiencing. Honestly, I would pay extra money for, once the PS4 gets released, move all my shit there, even if it locks me permanently of the PC version. Atleast I wouldn't have these kind of issues...

DMiz

Hey guys!

I have never gotten fair in BD, but am interested in doing so as a way to wean myself off of FFXIV (I can't afford a subscription model at this time, unfortunately).

The last time I got into BDO was about a month ago, at which time i had noted that the controller options were not that amazing... I was disappointed with how tricky the inputs seemed to be. Have these improved since then?

Ferr986

Hey guys!

I have never gotten fair in BD, but am interested in doing so as a way to wean myself off of FFXIV (I can't afford a subscription model at this time, unfortunately).

The last time I got into BDO was about a month ago, at which time i had noted that the controller options were not that amazing... I was disappointed with how tricky the inputs seemed to be. Have these improved since then?

No. It has been only a month after all. Wait till the xbox one version to see if they improve controller suport.

Hubb

I got lucky and got another Bheg's Gloves. If someone on the NA server wants to try to set up a preorder for it just let me know.

They daily login rewards are incredible.

If you stay logged in and just AFK process for 5 hours, you get 5 million from making beers. Now they are also handing out memory fragments, sharp crystals, blackstones every hour.

Even if you don't have time to play I recommend just processing. Minimize the game to the tray where it consumes very little cpu power, and check on it. Keep evolving your worker and just make a shit ton of plywood and ore and beer. make that passive money.

the game can let you passively achieve a lot.

The new Kamasylvia area is beautiful but its true- This Part 1 is meh. There is not much going on here. Part 2 is supposed to be much better so lets see if it comes out in late october/november.

We need performance overhaul. We need a UI overhaul. The UI is so cluttered. We need a overhaul of swimming.

Top Bottom