• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Friday Week: 900k DS, 600k Wii

Kifimbo

PR. Block if gold.

Consumers Snap Up 1.5 Million Nintendo Video Game Systems During Black Friday Week
Value-Minded Shoppers Purchase 900,000 Nintendo DS and 600,000 Wii Systems

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--When confronted with a wide range of Black Friday retail options, U.S. holiday shoppers again turned to Nintendo. Nintendo sold 900,000 combined units in the Nintendo DS™ family of systems and 600,000 Wii™ consoles between Sunday, Nov. 21, and Saturday, Nov. 27, according to the company’s internal sales estimates.

“For the past several years, consumers have decided that Nintendo defined both top value and all-inclusive entertainment, and that sentiment continues again at the start of this shopping season.”

“U.S. shoppers bought about 9,000 Nintendo hardware systems nonstop for every hour of every day during the week of Black Friday,” said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. “For the past several years, consumers have decided that Nintendo defined both top value and all-inclusive entertainment, and that sentiment continues again at the start of this shopping season.”

Nintendo’s Black Friday surge was fueled by multiple new hardware colors, each of which comes bundled with games. The bundles provide a great value for shoppers who are looking to get the biggest bang for their video game bucks. These bundles, all of which are available while supplies last, include:

Limited-edition Mario red Wii hardware in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros.™ game on the NES™. It includes a new red Wii system, a red Wii Remote™ Plus controller, a red Nunchuk™ controller, and games New Super Mario Bros.™ Wii and Wii Sports™ at a suggested retail price of $199.99.

A limited-edition red Nintendo DSi XL™ bundle in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Super Mario Bros. game on the NES. It features a Mario red Nintendo DSi XL system with three iconic Super Mario Bros.-themed graphics, the Mario Kart™ DS game and preloaded software, including Brain Age™ Express: Arts & Letters, Brain Age Express: Math and Photo Clock. It is available at a suggested retail price of $179.99.

Orange and green Nintendo DSi™ systems, which are bundled with the Mario Party™ DS game. They are available at a suggested retail price of $149.99.

In addition to the great hardware bundles, shoppers have dozens of great video game options for everyone on their shopping lists. Some exclusive games for the Wii console include Super Mario Galaxy™ 2, Metroid™: Other M, Wii Party™, Kirby’s Epic Yarn™, PokéPark™ Wii: Pikachu’s Adventure, FlingSmash™ (which comes bundled with the new Wii Remote Plus) and Donkey Kong Country™ Returns. Third-party Wii games include New Carnival Games® from 2K Play, NBA JAM from EA Sports, Just Dance® 2 from Ubisoft, Sonic Colors™ from SEGA, GoldenEye 007™ from Activision Publishing Inc. and Disney Epic Mickey from Disney Interactive Studios.

On the portable Nintendo DS family of systems, shoppers can choose games like DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™, Pokémon Ranger™: Guardian Signs, Art Academy™, Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem! and Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn. Some key third-party Nintendo DS games include Super Scribblenauts™ from WB Games, Rock Band® 3 from MTV Games, GoldenEye 007 from Activision Publishing Inc. and Sonic Colors from SEGA.

Last year numbers:

Wii: 550k
DS: 1 million

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Does everybody in the world own a DS yet?

Nintendo should delay the 3DS launch in favor of a Wii successor. :lol The DS' performance is outstanding. Not that the Wii is doing terrible here...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Excellent numbers of course but do those seem down from last year? Not that it's unexpected as the Wii has been trending downward for a while. There was the red bundle right? Will be interesting to see 360 and PS3 numbers as their respective bundles were much more attractive.

DaBuddaDa

Nintendo has had fantastic bundles and deals this holiday. The usual Nov/Dec Wii sales spike seems to be in full effect this year too.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
farnham said:
nintendo finally breathing in relief.. they had it tough this year
Well, you had said Wii would underperform this holiday -> the moment you said that, Wii was sure to outperform last year's sales.

Kifimbo said:
Last year numbers:

Wii: 550k
DS: 1 million

So relatively flat then.

Will be interesting to see how other systems fare.

Chris1964 said:
Well, you had said Wii would underperform this holiday -> the moment you said that, Wii was sure to outperform last year's sales.

Oh, my :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What were the other system numbers last year?

apana

Chris1964 said:

:lol I imagine a lot of peole bought Donkey Kong as well? Either that or Pikachu's PokePark is a monster hit.

Road

Aika'svyse said:
Preemptive strike, either MS or Sonys numbers must be insane
More like "we finally have some great numbers to show after months, put this out ASAP".

I doubt Sony or MS have better numbers.

Shurs

WrikaWrek said:
Is that a bad effect or a good effect?

I don't know how successful Kinect is being right now.

I imagine that the existence of Kinect will only strengthen Xbox 360 sales. How much? I have no idea, it could give them a little bump or a big bump, but I don't see Kinect having a negative effect on console sales.

FrankT

WrikaWrek said:
No way Xbox 360 sells this much.

Oh, perhaps not, but I do believe MS had a very good week. Probably there best ever Black Friday week. I also think that MS as whole could still take the month because I do believe they had a better first 3 weeks. Regardless, it should be a nice race here at the end. My guess is Wii is still down YoY for the month. Crazy DS numbers still.

Guevara said:
If they do we'll hear about it. If they don't, we'll get some nonsense press release about how excited new Kinect owners are.

I'd be very surprised if they do give us any hard numbers. It would make for a nice change though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Road said:
More like "we finally have some great numbers to show after months, put this out ASAP".

I doubt Sony or MS have better numbers.
Me too. Considering the way the Wii was trending, it's impressive. I think Sony and MSFT will have great numbers too. They both are appealing to a more broad market with their motion devices this year as well.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Impressive numbers. I guess fears that the holidays wouldn't come through for Nintendo were unfounded.

FrankT

Hammer24 said:
Do we have numbers for the last Black Fridays?

Estimates last year really it would seem. They only gave us best week of the year and double that of the week before last year. Hard to make anything out. Like I said maybe we will get some hard numbers this time, but I doubt it.

cvxfreak

Contributed to one Wii sale. The red Wii bundle at $169.99 on Amazon with no tax was just too good to pass up, especially since I can sell NSMBW and Wii Sports anyway and make it even cheaper.

m.i.s.

Banned
slaughterking said:
Nintendo should delay the 3DS launch in favor of a Wii successor. :lol The DS' performance is outstanding. Not that the Wii is doing terrible here...

I know you're just joking, but be careful what you wish for. 3DS has already slipped from this side of Xmas in Japan (not that Nintendo would admit this).

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
M.I.S. said:
I know you're just joking, but be careful what you wish for. 3DS has already slipped from this side of Xmas in Japan (not that Nintendo would admit this).
Nintendo has admitted that 3DS was originally scheduled for this year.

EatChildren

M.I.S. said:

Huh? 3DS was always set for 2011, including Japan.

Top Bottom