• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month 2016 |OT| - The last one before President Trump cancels it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

5gxnvgm.png

Welcome, welcome once again to Black History Month, this time coming with one day extra!

Black History Month, also known as African-American History Month in America, is an annual observance in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom for remembrance of important people and events in the history of the African diaspora. It is celebrated annually in the United States and Canada in February and the United Kingdom in October.

Why do Black People need a history month?

In an ideal world, the month would not be necessary, because educational establishments and the national curriculum would fully recognise and appreciate the contribution of black people throughout history. Sadly that is not the case.

The Black community uses this history month as an opportunity to share with the world its vast contributions: a time to demonstrate pride in its creativity, respect for its intellectual prowess and a celebration of its cultural identity which is far too often misrepresented, when it is not being ignored, in the mainstream.

So where can I learn more about Black History?

Well to start, I suggest visiting these three sites:
http://blackhistory.com/
http://www.blackpast.org/
http://racialinjustice.eji.org/timeline/

But I don't see color! We're all just humans!

You're not helping. At all.

People love to tell me that they often forget that I’m black. They say this with a sort of “a-ha!” look on their faces, as if their dawning ability to see my blackness was a gift to us both.

When I point out that their eyesight had never left them, that my skin has never changed colors, and that they probably did not really forget that I am black, they inevitably get defensive. First, they try to argue that it was a compliment; the smart ones quickly realize that complimenting someone on not being black is actually pretty racist, so they switch gears.

I don’t see race! is usually their next tactic, followed by I am colorblind, though they never give credit to Stephen Colbert. By “colorblind” they don’t actually mean that they can’t see green or red; rather, they are suggesting that they can’t ever be racist, because they don’t register skin color at all.

This ideology is very popular – like a racial utopic version of the Golden Rule – but it’s actually quite racist. “Colorblindness” doesn’t acknowledge the very real ways in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systemically. By professing not to see race, you’re just ignoring racism, not solving it.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jan/26/do-not-see-race-ignoring-racism-not-helping

TL;DR. You're acting like a child who thinks that no one can see them when they cover their own eyes.

But what about _____ History?

6605330143_ca665c66f8.jpg

http://racerelations.about.com/od/diversitymatters/tp/Celebrating-Cultural-Heritage-Months.htm
http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/2013/02/03/why-isnt-there-a-white-history-month/

Happy Black History Month everybody!

try not to get banned.

Courtesy of Brother Jackben, a Black History Month playlist.

RECOMMENDED WATCHING:
  • Roots
  • Selma
  • Rosewood
  • Fruitvale Station
  • Malcolm X
  • Amistad
  • 12 Years a Slave
  • Glory
  • Beloved
  • The Color Purple
  • The Great Debaters
  • The Tuskegee Airmen
  • Do the Right Thing
  • Menace II Society
  • Get On The Bus
  • Bamboozled
  • Dear White People
  • Mississippi Burning

Once again, welcome to Black History Month! Oh, and sorry Stacey. We ain't cancelling it.

NeoGAF celebrates Black History Month 2016:
BHM 2015 OT. Last year we mostly kept things in thread, so it's worth a look.

Also from last year:
nFqmtcB.gif

Meh I think you could skip all those movies and just watch Do the Right Thing and it'd teach you all you need to know about race relations in America.

Incredibly relevant to date. Spike Lee's a genius.

Malyse

Meh I think you could skip all those movies and just watch Do the Right Thing and it'd teach you all you need to know about race relations in America.

Incredibly relevant to date. Spike Lee's a genius.

I think that each of them brings a certain perspective to the table and watching the entirety would round out your understanding.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
In!

I honestly forgot about The Great Debaters. I should give that movie another watch to start off the month; haven't seen it in ages.

SeanC

Damn do I love me some Glory. It was the first movie to make me cry as a teenager. Still get goosebumps on that final music and scene.

I went on a Blacksploitation marathon a few years back. Sure, they're all b-movies, but they came at a time when the African-American community was just starting to make movies for their own audience and had something to say about their place in society. It's insight on how they perceived the world at the time and I would say many issues/feelings still just as relevant today. I recommend watching some of those too if anyone has the time.

Numb

It's decent. Something about the directing and pacing left me feeling a bit cold toward it, but the acting was fine for most of the key actors.

It seemed to have the recipe to be cringy quick and easy and was avoiding it for that reason mostly.
Glad it's ok.

Sch1sm

Haven't seen Dear white people yet
The trailer was ok. Is it good?

Has a good share of, "Waaaaait, he/she just said what?" I paused a lot when I watched it Thursday. I liked it, overall.

E: I stopped feeling it about the time Sam
got that call from her mom just as she met up with the crew for the whole protest/rally only to run off and stay in her room.
Even before that, actually, when she's
sort of caught out for rigging the election for Head of House.
But I feel like that's more an I don't really care very much for this character
or her front
type of deal than anything.

Is black history still just being mostly taught during this month in grade school? I feel we should be way past that now and for it to be year round.

Sch1sm

Is black history still just being mostly taught during this month in grade school? I feel we should be way past that now and for it to be year round.

Over in Canada, or at least my school board, yeah. That's the case I find when I ask younger family members.

Joke is they don't even really learn it in a regular class, it's during their time in "Library" or something. Teacher will read them a book, they'll talk about it a little, move on. Month ends and so does Black History the way they deal with it. :| I remember one year it was a book about Rosa Park, otherwise I have zero recollection of what I was taught in primary, personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom