• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black History Month 2017 |OT| - Peeking over Hidden Fences

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zekes!

*sets up law chairs*

*grill coals turned white*

aiite, ya'll want chicken, steak or hotdogs?

where's the damn kool-aid? it's hot as hell standing over this grill. shit. oh and tell Slay to get off the court and bring me my dominoes.

I brought burgers and buns. Also wings

Let's eat ya'll

my lightskin ass brought mayo just in case too

Y'know I've been meaning to make a thread doing an extensive research and history of the mocking of, then the cultural appropriation of African-American culture dating back to early 19th century to the present. I may actually instead make a mega post in this thread if that's alright, and people are actually interested in reading it.

Let me know either way.

Enzom21

Y'know I've been meaning to make a thread doing an extensive research and history of the mocking of, then the cultural appropriation of African-American culture dating back to early 19th century to the present. I may actually instead make a mega post in this thread if that's alright, and people are actually interested in reading it.

Let me know either way.
I think a thread would be better for the actual conversation. Linking to it in this thread would be sufficient.

Malyse

Other Hidden Figures

Let me know either way.

I think a thread would be better for the actual conversation. Linking to it in this thread would be sufficient.

Yes. Generally, if it's something to general discussion or something others can append to, I prefer you make a separate thread and link to it from here. I'll add it to the OP as well. Also, please use the titling convention "Black History Month: [your title here]". Makes it more organized. Conversely, if it's not a good discussion point, please put it in here.

Is it true that enslaved Africans introduced the banjo to the U.S.? I read somewhere that there were even early US tunes that had the same beat/melody/cadence/structure as songs from Africa, learned from the slaves.

Similar to how the songs Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and ABCs have the same beat/singing pattern.

Is it true that enslaved Africans introduced the banjo to the U.S.? I read somewhere that there were even early US tunes that had the same beat/melody/cadence/structure as songs from Africa, learned from the slaves.

Similar to how the songs Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and ABCs have the same beat/singing pattern.

Yes, Africans introduced the banjo to the U.S.

Early forms of the instrument were fashioned by Africans in America, adapted from African instruments of similar design. The banjo is frequently associated with country, folk, Irish traditional and bluegrass music. Historically, the banjo occupied a central place in African American traditional music, before becoming popular in the minstrel shows of the 19th century. The banjo, with the fiddle, is a mainstay of American old-time music. It is also very frequently used in Traditional ("Trad") Jazz.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo

Yes. Generally, if it's something to general discussion or something others can append to, I prefer you make a separate thread and link to it from here. I'll add it to the OP as well. Also, please use the titling convention "Black History Month: [your title here]". Makes it more organized. Conversely, if it's not a good discussion point, please put it in here.

Ok, cool.

My mom's been talking about this for ages now, apparently, it's true

Yes, Africans introduced the banjo to the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banjo

My class in US Music History was eye opening. America took a lot from slaves in terms of musical styles. Let's not even get started with Jazz and Rock, etc.

I got that seafood gumbo for y'all too and best of all that Louisiana Steam Pot.

Shit, now I feel bad about the Potato Salad. Cali has some nice beer though so I don't feel all that bad I can bring the good stuff.

Awesome OP. Any chance we could get a list of novels and prominent black authors? I'd like to dive into some books if anyone has some recommendations. Thanks!

hypernima

Banned
How much for one rib?

Nigggaaaaaaa (I'm mad I'm old enough to know the reference to this joke.)

I have an Art Exhibit at the Connecticut State Capitol in honor of Black History Month

I you live near Hartford please check it out

https://twitter.com/Nazaire73/status/826259568544116736

I got cousins up there I'll tell em to check it.

My class in US Music History was eye opening. America took a lot from slaves in terms of musical styles. Let's not even get started with Jazz and Rock, etc.

Yep they sure did
http://www.thomson.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/infographic/interactive-music-map/index.html

I wondered why February got chosen as Black History Month so I looked it up.

The precursor to Black History Month was created in 1926 in the United States, when historian Carter G. Woodson and the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History announced the second week of February to be "Negro History Week."[1] This week was chosen because it coincided with the birthday of Abraham Lincoln on February 12 and of Frederick Douglass on February 14, both of which dates Black communities had celebrated together since the late 19th century.[1]

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
damn, that wire gif is old as hell. back when jado wasnt known as a clown trying to get daps from racists

NEO0MJ

Is this the right place to ask why the general black community didn't keep playing blues and rock? Just a natural shift away to hip hop?

tumblr_mxs10o9HO01qah5qjo5_250.gif

his scandal scenes are amazing

daffy

Banned
Gonna be going to the California African American Museum later this month!! Had no idea it was free.

What's everyone's favorite aspect of black history and/or culture? I think hip hop has had the most significant impact on me. Its helped me channel my energy in positive ways and has led to alot of awesome friendships and concerts.

LionPride

Banned
So some of yall know about my pet project during February, but for those who don't

I will be wearing the name of a black man or woman who was wrongfully killed by the police.

This will be going for all 28 days

On Fridays, I'll be wearing the name of someone such as an inventor or someone else who has brought positivity to lives

Aight, I always liked my man Bruno but he knows what's up so that's even better.

So some of yall know about my pet project during February, but for those who don't

I will be wearing the name of a black man or woman who was wrongfully killed by the police.

This will be going for all 28 days

On Fridays, I'll be wearing the name of someone such as an inventor or someone else who has brought positivity to lives

Like on a T-Shirt? That's pretty neat and hopefully a good way to start some dialogue with people.

Google Doodle for Feb 1: Edmonia Lewis

g7NxUpU.jpg

Mary Edmonia Lewis (c. July 4, 1844 – September 17, 1907) was an American sculptor who worked for most of her career in Rome, Italy. She was the first woman of African-American and Native American heritage to achieve international fame and recognition as a sculptor in the fine arts world. Her work is known for incorporating themes relating to black people and indigenous peoples of the Americas into Neoclassical-style sculpture. She began to gain prominence during the American Civil War; at the end of the 19th century, she remained the only black woman who had participated in and been recognized to any degree by the American artistic mainstream. In 2002, the scholar Molefi Kete Asante listed Edmonia Lewis on his list of 100 Greatest African Americans.

Smithsonian Institute Page

LionPride

Banned
Aight, I always liked my man Bruno but he knows what's up so that's even better.

Like on a T-Shirt? That's pretty neat and hopefully a good way to start some dialogue with people.

Yeah, I put a name on the note card and on the back is the cause of death in case I am asked

Already got another friend of mine wanting to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom