• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Mirror S5 | Official Trailer - Releasing June 5th

God Enel

Soo... I’ve just seen the new trailer and I’m not sure what to think. I recognized some of the actors though I don’t know their names (the black dude I don’t know where he’s from and the bad guy from Sherlock)

I thought the last season wasn’t as good as the ones before. But still going to watch no matter what. Love me som black mirror.

Curious what they’re going to do with the street fighter part, loved it but it did look kinda cheap ..(on purpose?)

julio_grr

Yeah I have mixed feelings.
The first two seasons and the special were brilliant.
Now they're just re-using the same themes over and over again.
There is so much more to explore, like cloning, trans-humanism, genes manipulations, cyborgs, mixing flesh and machines, etc...
It's like they're stuck in the smartphone generation and cannot think past that.

JimiNutz

Banned
I still enjoy the show and will be there day one.

Yes the quality has dipped since it went to Netflix but what other shows are there out there that can provide the same kind of fix as Black Mirror?

bitbydeath

I have loved every episode of Black Mirror except for maybe the Waldo one. I don't understand the complaints about a supposed drop-off in quality. Season 4 was probably my favourite after season 1.

Season 4 did have one really slow episode that was in black and white but otherwise I agree.

I’d probably rate seasons three and four higher than one and two overall.

Episodes like Hang the DJ and Shut up and Dance are amazing.

Papa

Banned
Season 4 did have one really slow episode that was in black and white but otherwise I agree.

I’d probably rate seasons three and four higher than one and two overall.

Episodes like Hang the DJ and Shut up and Dance are amazing.

Metalhead? I loved that one!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Soo... I’ve just seen the new trailer and I’m not sure what to think. I recognized some of the actors though I don’t know their names (the black dude I don’t know where he’s from and the bad guy from Sherlock)

I thought the last season wasn’t as good as the ones before. But still going to watch no matter what. Love me som black mirror.

Curious what they’re going to do with the street fighter part, loved it but it did look kinda cheap ..(on purpose?)

The SF part looked like it was linked to the VR helmet. So probably some VR gaming spin.

Yeah I have mixed feelings.
The first two seasons and the special were brilliant.
Now they're just re-using the same themes over and over again.
There is so much more to explore, like cloning, trans-humanism, genes manipulations, cyborgs, mixing flesh and machines, etc...
It's like they're stuck in the smartphone generation and cannot think past that.

Agreed, looks like we have another spin on the Alexa device, but I will say the original one was brilliant. And creepy if one day if they clone the conscious into AI.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned

I thought the one with the mother who spied on her kid through the ipad app one was a lot more boring than Metalhead, it doesn't really do a ton with the idea you wouldn't expect. Metalhead was just fun.

vpance

Oh hey tomorrow is Jun 5.

Hope it doesn't disappoint. Last season was just ok. Bandersnatch was cool though.

Nymphae

Banned
Season 5 is only three episodes due to the length of time it took to make bandersnatch.

Probably old news but I had missed it and wondered why only three episodes were announced.

It kind of bugs me how Netflix just slaps "Netflix Original" on things that it acquired rather than produced. It's not a Netflix Original if I saw it somewhere else first. I'm watching this korean show Prison Playbook with the GF, and she told me the series had already aired years ago on TV in Korea, but Netflix still sells it as a Netflix Original, which just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Last edited:
It kind of bugs me how Netflix just slaps "Netflix Original" on things that it acquired rather than produced. It's not a Netflix Original if I saw it somewhere else first. I'm watching this korean show Prison Playbook with the GF, and she told me the series had already aired years ago on TV in Korea, but Netflix still sells it as a Netflix Original, which just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

Agreed, at least some distinction like "Brought to you by Netflix" for those that originally aired elsewhere first.

I'm excited for this new season too but also agree it needs to go in some new directions.

First episode of season 5:

9/10 :messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping::messenger_clapping:

A memorable episode to say the least. Social Commentary was on point and loved how it explored the entrenched homosexual/heterosexual dynamics and taboo that exists among African Americans.

Watched the first two last night. Bad Black Mirror episodes. I've enjoyed every episode in the series so far until these two. Disappointed.

mekes

I forgot this released yesterday and watched an episode of the new Twilight Zone series last night.

Incredibly poor form from myself....

Joyful

Thoughts:
Striking Vipers: This episode was pretty gay. I mean that in a good way. Shit Ive read a similar plots in hentai manga before
Still this is why we should never ever invent machine brain link tech. Could be species ending. Why would anyone want to live in reality if you could do anything in VR?

Smithereens: Fairly straightforward. I guess i expect more twists and turns like shut up and dance or something at this point. I like the positive vibes of the silicon valley dude.

Rachel, Jack, and Ashley Too: This episode was cute and lighthearted for the most part and thus did not feel very black mirror-y. Ashley too was cute

JimiNutz

Banned
Watched the first two last night and mostly agree with the views in here.
First episode was the worst episode of Black Mirror I've ever seen. Second episode was better but nonthing mindblowing. Disappointing season so far.

You'd think with less quantity the quality would have gone up. Nope, the quality has definitely gone down. 3 meager episodes.

'Happy' is much better. I'm surprised he was allowed to smack up a Jewish Mafia in today's media but they quickly followed that up with the smacking up of Nazis so I guess that makes it OK. Gotta balance the anti-jew out with the pro-jew.

Last edited:

vpance

I thought for sure there were new writers or something but nope, Brooker the main creator of the show was behind these episodes. I guess he just ran out of ideas. Or maybe he's got too many outside parties in his ear now.

Just finished watching them all and I thought 1 and 3 were bad. Smithereens was pretty good except for one glaring issue. My thoughts:

The fucking sniper has a long ass road to move up and down yet somehow he chooses the firing line that has the hostage directly behind the guy. Instead of just moving a couple feet to either side he just shrugs his shoulders like its an impossible shot. WTF?!

The Hannah Montana episode was cute but felt like a TV-14 girl power flick more than anything related to black mirror.

Striking Vipers was ok, but I don't for one second think VR will reach a point were Ken and Chun Li will be able to just start fucking in the middle of the game. I guess it could make for some epic Finishers though.

JimiNutz

Banned
Finished it now.
As a season (including Bandersnatch) I think it was pretty mediocre and poor by Black Mirror standards.
Only Bandersnatch and Smithereens felt like proper Black Mirror episodes and both were pretty average by Black Mirrors high standards. The other two episodes were just about watchable but didn't really feel like episodes of Black Mirror to me. Almost felt like a different show, a pale imitation.

bitbydeath

Finished it now.
As a season (including Bandersnatch) I think it was pretty mediocre and poor by Black Mirror standards.
Only Bandersnatch and Smithereens felt like proper Black Mirror episodes and both were pretty average by Black Mirrors high standards. The other two episodes were just about watchable but didn't really feel like episodes of Black Mirror to me. Almost felt like a different show, a pale imitation.

Yep, completely agree with this.
They all kind of felt a bit too happy.

Bandersnatch was the most like a Broken Mirror episode, Smithereens was close but not quite there.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I could totally see the first episode being possible. I met my first friend when I moved playing Tekken 3. My situation wasn’t exactly like theirs, but one could only imagine. We joked around and we went through that growing phase. What’s crazy is how they showcased that escape from reality.
How boring married life could be versus one where you have more of a connection/bond with a friend.

One thing I noticed is that this show has focused more and more on video games. I’m not sure if it’s a good thing. This season is alright. It’s kinda predictable after a while. The second episode sorta sucked. All this build up and the ending sucked. They essentially looked at popular tech themes and made a plot about their “faults in society”. Meh.. it doesn’t feel very original.

Last edited:

Doczu

Finished the last episode yesterday.

Worst season yet. The 3rd epsiode looked more like they dusted off a screenplay for an old Hannah Montana movie nad wanted to make it a little bit more edgy. But they forgot that 15 years have passed since then.
Seriously, if you take out the cursing from it you could literally make it a Disney Channel tv movie.

What. The. Fuck?

Luckily Nick Sax beating up jews and old nazis washed the foul stench of BM away.

Edit: fuck, i hope that Dark s2 and Stranger Things will deliver

Last edited:

harry04

I still enjoy the show and will be there day one.

Yes the quality has dipped since it went to Netflix but what other shows are there out there that can provide the same kind of fix as Black Mirror?
yeah quite agree with you, I like this show whether it is not so good as it was before

Top Bottom