• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Ops II details (leaked on weekend confirmed)

Bear

Can you please stop calling Treyarc "3arc"? What an annoying way to write their name, that doesn't even make any sense.

The word "tres" means 3 in Latin and some of its derived languages. Their logo contains 3 arcs and several of their games include references such as "3arc" and "III arc", it's pretty much the official abbreviation of the company name. They even use it as their employee clan tag iirc.

soultron

Banned
Because it was the "first". I still remember the beta. *cry*

I don't even think it was because it was the first. For me, it was because it was beautiful in its simplicity -- the design wasn't crowded enough to make it overly complicated like the more recent MW games.

The core mechanics have never gotten old. COD still controls like a dream on consoles as well.

WaW>CoD4>Blops

Nice, I never played the multiplayer of WaW just single. At the time i was still trying to max out 4's multiplayer, and by the time i did mw2 was releasing soon.

Are we twins?

I played COD4 straight for 2 years. I played very little else at that time.

BLOPS is my favourite after COD4. I actually thought the SP story was intriguing too. Great to see a functioning narrative structure instead of loading screen with dialogue.

Exactly, Treyarch puts together an all around great package, and to be honest i was shocked that Blops 2 was gonna be future. So much like Blops1 Vietnam setting, im back in due to it being something different. I didn't really care for the money system for Blops 1, so something new is totally welcome.

Its amazing what a right time and right place can do to someone. CoD4's phenom with me was that it was a early/mid console generation game, and i was fresh out of high school with no worries. lol

The_Monk

This sounds interesting, I can be a "come at me bro" or a stealth ninja with some perks and a smaller gun.

Need more info on Multiplayer, I'm hoping September will be the month when we get more info.

What was so good about black ops? That one i didn't get to play much.
black ops was great because it was scaled back on the fucking crazy. That and it had a bunch of great maps. Treyarch has always been better at doling out the crazy in reasonable amounts, while still maintaining smart map design. So if this one continues on that path with all the additions, should be the best one yet (post-cod4 era I mean).

Throw in zombies and all that, and they claim it will be the biggest zombies mode yet, and it's just great icing on the package. You get your monies worth.

kuYuri

Am I the only person who thought COD4 did it right just because of its simplicity?

Sure Juggernaut (and to a certain extent, Stopping Power), Last Stand, and Martyrdom were bullshit, but it still doesn't compare to the pure horseshit that was Marathon, 23525 Harriers in the sky, and the Nuke/MOAB.

Give me a few perks and the vanilla UAV/Air Strike/Attack Chopper. Thank you and goodnight.

EDIT: Agreed to Trey being the better COD studio as of late. I love the original IW guys, but I hated MW2.

I love CoD4 as much as the next guy, but for me, I've already gotten my fill of that game. Why I prefer playing the games that came after CoD4 now is because they provide way more options and variation, as to be expected of sequels.

Vonderhaar also said that that we really don't just want CoD4 anymore. And I completely agree with him, it wouldn't make sense.

http://mp1st.com/2011/12/08/you-think-you-want-a-cod4-remake-but-you-dont/

ace3skoot

What was so good about black ops? That one i didn't get to play much.

For me it was Combat Training, basically Bots that could fill in the empy slot to give you a full roster of players, but also i mimic the MP so you level up and unlock the weapons and can basically just learn the maps and mess with custom game types too.

Also it introduced the video recorder/editor

and lets not forget zombies.

edit: also i meant to ask, how would you want the unlock system to work?

Personally I wasn't a fan of of Black ops buy what you want system, nor MW3's level up you gun, personally I would like a return to MW2 style challenges as they forve you to use
attachments and equipment out of your comfort range.

Orayn

This sounds like it could actually address some of the series' horrendous balance issues. I'm all for it, and I hope they price everything aggressively.

The E3 demo wasn't very good and I kind of lost interest after that, but if this real I'll definitely keep an open eye on the MP.

ace3skoot

also i meant to ask, how would you want the unlock system to work?

Personally I wasn't a fan of of Black ops buy what you want system, nor MW3's level up you gun, personally I would like a return to MW2 style challenges as they forve you to use

also i meant to ask, how would you want the unlock system to work?

I'd rather have everything available up front but I'm just crazy like that. And that ship sailed a long time ago.

ace3skoot

I'd rather have everything available up front but I'm just crazy like that. And that ship sailed a long time ago.

haha yeah you'll have to pay 20 bucks as an unlock nowadays :p thats what BF3 did. amittedly a fair time after launch it still a bit grubby to me though i do respect the fact not everyone has as much time to play games as me still make all my effort feel a bit pointless.

you missed out, it was awesome. My only gripe about WAW was the tanks

I did play the beta, So now that you mention it i do remember the tank level. Wasn't a big fan of it either. Really enjoyed the singleplayer though.

Also, that avatar is bad ass lol. I found the full image on google.

Makoto

Crazy? No, I think you just don't want to waste your time with carrot-on-a-stick unlocks.

Wanting to have everything up front is reasonable.

gioGAF

Lol at all the Infinity Ward hate and Treyarch love in here.

Treyarch has yet to release a "good" Call of Duty game. Blops came close, but it was still just a substandard version of COD4 / MW2. All the Infinity Ward haters are mind-boggling, COD4 was fantastic and MW2 was great, and would have been even better if the "real" Infinity Ward had not been dismantled (no team, no patches for anything).

you missed out, it was awesome. My only gripe about WAW was the tanks

WaW was awesome. Best COD I've played. So sad to see it go down with hacks.

The tanks weren't too much of an issue. I think 1 C4 under it destroyed it. I made it my goal to hunt down every tank I saw, lol.

Loved the hell out of the bolt action rifles.

I have faith in Treyarch. This new info sounds great.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
It's just too bad the console MP is hacked up pretty bad. You can go a few sessions without getting into the weird custom/hacked gametypes though, if you get lucky.

This is what pisses me off about Activision. They still charge a high price for an old game, yet it doesn't seem like they care about the community once the next version or two are out. I liked CoD4, that was the last CoD I actually sat down and enjoyed mp, after that, I didn't really have any desire to play them.

Xux

Crazy? No, I think you just don't want to waste your time with carrot-on-a-stick unlocks.

Wanting to have everything up front is reasonable.

I'd love to have everything unlocked at the start. The number of options available in these games is way more appealing to me than filling meters.

ace3skoot

This is what pisses me off about Activision. They still charge a high price for an old game, yet it doesn't seem like they care about the community once the next version or two are out. I liked CoD4, that was the last CoD I actually sat down and enjoyed mp, after that, I didn't really have any desire to play them.

after you bought all the dlc they can no longer get money out of you, thus they literally don't care about that community

Dresden

MW1 > MW2 > BLOPS > WaW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MW3

MW2 was actually the most responsive, and polished, COD game. It was just ruined by the rampant abuse of killstreaks and unbalanced perks and weapons. That said my AT rocket scavenger sniper build was the most fun I had in a COD game. /tear

ace3skoot

it will suck going back to p2p after dedicated servers on BF3 :( come on 3arc thats what i really want from a call elite subscription that would make me a very happy gamer make it happen.

Xux

it will suck going back to p2p after dedicated servers on BF3 :( come on 3arc thats what i really want from a call elite subscription that would make me a very happy gamer make it happen.
This is gonna sound ridiculously apologistic or whatever the word is but the relative lag between BF3 and COD on PS3 has sort of turned me off of dedicated servers.

MW1 > MW2 > BLOPS > WaW >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MW3

MW2 was actually the most responsive, and polished, COD game. It was just ruined by the rampant abuse of killstreaks and unbalanced perks and weapons. That said my AT rocket scavenger sniper build was the most fun I had in a COD game. /tear
naw bro,. MW1 > WaW > Blops >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MW2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mw3

MW2 being responsive and polished is meaningless when it suffers from horrible game design.

rezuth

Hey guys, remember when IW was the good COD developer?
KuGsj.gif

Sounds pretty fucking good actually, will allow for balance and lots of variations in playstyle.

Meh, can't really judge without all of the details but this doesn't sound like an improvement or downgrade, just different for the sake of being different.

Meh, can't really judge without all of the details but this doesn't sound like an improvement or downgrade, just different for the sake of being different.

....Unfucking believable.

"WE WANT CHANGE! COD IS TOO MUCH ALIKE! WAAAH!"
*Treyarch gives change and fresh take on the series*
"WAH! WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO BE DIFFERENT!? "

Jesus fucking christ.

Jesus fucking christ.

You say that assuming I've been complaining about those very things. I'm not looking for innovation or change, I'm just looking for a leap in quality in general, and being different doesn't equal better. Also, I said I'm withholding judgment until I get more details.

ace3skoot

Jesus fucking christ.

Yo, chill it lol i think the guys just saying he wants more detail, were going on a few lines right now, who knows if its a radical reinvention of works out fairly similar when all is said and done, we just have to wait and see, it sounds like its going in that direction but you know different people like different things.

SeanR1221

Sounds awesome to me.

I'm assuming you'll still be able to have the classic load out, but I rarely use secondaries, so I'd gladly replace that.

ace3skoot

Sounds awesome to me.

I'm assuming you'll still be able to have the classic load out, but I rarely use secondaries, so I'd gladly replace that.

hmm well it might be like

4 points = primary
2 points = secondary
3 points = 3 perks
1 point = flashbang/grenade

4 + 2 +3 + 1 = 10

which would be the classic set up

but i sort of hope things are more expesive so people have to make hard choices
but i'm sort of hoping it won't be uniform, an AR should cost more than and SMG
and coldblooded should cost more than stead aim etc.

5 points = primary
3 points = secondary (machine pistol)
2 points = 1 perks

no equipment

Top Bottom