• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther 2 star Letitia Wright (Shuri) rumored to have COVID, production shut down and Disney is covering it up with an injury story

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well, this could be interesting. Lets see if the monetary imperatives force the studio to follow the science, not the politics.

Here's the reality: Whether Wright was vaccinated or not doesn't actually matter when breakthrough cases exist. The better question is why should having had Covid and recovering from it be seen as conferring a lesser form of immunity than being jabbed, when all evidence indicates that natural acquisition is more effective and long-lasting?

It just shows what an ungodly mess vaccine passports are.

it’s wild because her character is the type to create a new vaccine to save the world…..but the actress will probably be promoting horse medicine soon enough.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well, this could be interesting. Lets see if the monetary imperatives force the studio to follow the science, not the politics.

Here's the reality: Whether Wright was vaccinated or not doesn't actually matter when breakthrough cases exist. The better question is why should having had Covid and recovering from it be seen as conferring a lesser form of immunity than being jabbed, when all evidence indicates that natural acquisition is more effective and long-lasting?

It just shows what an ungodly mess vaccine passports are.

recently here in the states Vermont one of the highest ratings for vaccinated is showing almost 60% re-insurgence of Covid cases. Vaccine helps you fight the extreme effects of the virus it doesn’t keep you vax or not from spreading it.

The reason for a vax mandate is to stop it from mutation. Because those variants are harder to fight.

And there are other avenues to fight Covid. But cdc and government won’t allow that rhetoric.

Things like ZPA, ivermectin, mitichlorical antibodies are available. But only if prescribed, and cdc won’t budge on this which has more to do with the pharmaceutical company’s making vaccines.

I really like Letitia Wright and have long feared that being on social media with her outspoken Christian faith would put her to the test with Hollywood in time. She's always been more passionate and vocal about it than some of her co-stars like Chris Pratt and Chadwick Boseman, whom also share her faith. I didn't expect it to come in this form though, nor would I have imagined Coogler or Disney would be trying to shield her, though her co-stars have been far more supportive of her than what Gina Carano got. At the same time though, Letitia is not very political, and she loves her Guyanese culture, Black culture, and believes in having inspiring representation in entertainment, where Gina was showing pro conservative stances, and had one of her tweets, which she shouldn't have put out there, purposely misrepresented to grant her the axe from Mandolorian.

That said, a whole year to recover from COVID? Letitia Wright's injury reports came at the end of August, if I'm not mistaken. Is this twitter guy credible? Regardless, this random twitter report put out there to entertain the bored twitter mob is missing a whole lot of juice, and hearing something and knowing for a fact are two different things. This is being put out there for a reason, and probably not for truth's sake.

Also, if she did get the virus, she no doubt has recovered by now, and is no more contagious than her supposedly vaxxed co-stars. Yeah, how many of them are vaccinated I wonder --sometimes it's best to stay quiet, right Chadwick? I don't know when CDC foreign rules were put in place. Maybe it happened while she was in America, and her mistake was going back to London before wrapping up the film.

If she had COVID, she's recovered by now. If she's injured, depending on the injury, she could be out for while. She's a bit of a weak skinny girl after all, not exactly a melee trained super hero. Comics have Shuri taking the mantle after T'Challa as Black Panther, so that's a pickle for Marvel to dismantle. But they can give the suit to someone else, they're not beholden to the comics. I mean, look at MCU Spider-Man. The dude's barely Spider-Man, and people dig it apparently (I don't).

Anyway, hope she heals up soon and can deliver an inspired performance as Shuri next year. I think the vaccine should absolutely be her choice, and the consequences are what they are, even unfair many times. Maybe next year the rules will lax, or they'll film the rest of the movie abroad. They've already started filming the movie. I don't know if they'd want to restart the whole thing to write off Shuri, and I think her co-stars and director (among others including fans like myself) don't want her being replaced with another actress, regardless of the small but loud social media pressure to do that.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
recently here in the states Vermont one of the highest ratings for vaccinated is showing almost 60% re-insurgence of Covid cases. Vaccine helps you fight the extreme effects of the virus it doesn’t keep you vax or not from spreading it.

The reason for a vax mandate is to stop it from mutation. Because those variants are harder to fight.

And there are other avenues to fight Covid. But cdc and government won’t allow that rhetoric.

Things like ZPA, ivermectin, mitichlorical antibodies are available. But only if prescribed, and cdc won’t budge on this which has more to do with the pharmaceutical company’s making vaccines.

I'm just speaking on the weirdness of legalities these days.

Being honest, as things stand now I'm assuming Covid to be endemic. Meaning that my feeling is that regular vaccination programs/protocols such as for Flu should be put in place for those most susceptible to severe disease/hospitalization, and other than that allow herd immunity to fully stabilize.

I believe a solid case can be made that once the most vulnerable people are protected we're going to see mortality rates being on par with seasonal flu. *Obviously* this will place more strain on medical institutions because it'll be an potential threat/caseload in addition to seasonal Flu's, but not necessarily more serious than that class of infections in itself.

I'm not calling conspiracies out for the reason why often draconian measures have been put in place, I think its more a case of politicians and experts following the precautionary principle and becoming enraptured by the darkest outcomes. That being said sooner or later that line of thought has to entertain the possibility that Covid will never be driven to extinction and that societies globally will need to learn to coexist with it.

What's most worrisome to me is the way a line is being fed that the continued emergency policies are because of "them damn unvaccinated" instead of maybe admitting that masking, lockdowns, and indeed mass mandated vaccinations were never, and are never, going to be enough to fully eradicate the disease.

Current vaccines simply are not capable of doing that.

Malakhov

Banned
BP is one of the worst MCU flick, that and I just watched shang-chi and it's down there with it as well.

When Chadwick died, they should of taken a step back and reconsider all of this. While I didn't like the movie, he was the perfect actor for it.

This is a really shitty situation they're in right now

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
My expectations were too high for the solo Black Panther movie. I expected the next Lion King or something.

It has the same third act issues as Shang Chi.

I much prefer the Civil War interpretation, like most people here.

Lastly, I’d like to see M’Baku as BP. Has nothing to do with Leticia’s beliefs, which she is entitled to, I just don’t enjoy her an an actor.

Marvel Studios not nipping this in the bud back when she was being a moron on Twitter is going to bite them in the ass. A streaming series shut down for several days because of an unvaccinated asshole who ended up contaminating several crew members, it cost the production several million dollars.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
If I'm one of the other people working on this film, there's no way I'm standing around with this anti-vax idiot every day, on a confined hot set. Disney can't afford the chance of her infecting everybody else. What a dumb-ass shit show.

carlosrox

Banned
So if she has COVID she'll be fine in a week like 99% of people. How absolutely terrifying.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
she'll be fine in a week like 99% of people.
Emily Blunt Oh Snap GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So in other words she'll probably be fine in a week like 99% of people.

Many who survived have lasting effects from COVID. She may or may not be fine... Since we still don't know the nature of her initial "injury" back in August... That might have been COVID and now she's got long COVID... Who knows, though? All this secrecy.

Azurro

Banned
They should have just recasted the role.

it’s wild because her character is the type to create a new vaccine to save the world…..but the actress will probably be promoting horse medicine soon enough.

Are you talking about the Joe Rogan thing? That's not just used as a horse dewormer, the mainstream media hates Joe Rogan so they gleefully took that chance to smear him. Of course it's safer to take the vaccine, but he got very good and expensive treatment and was up and running in less than a week.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Are you talking about the Joe Rogan thing? That's not just used as a horse dewormer, the mainstream media hates Joe Rogan so they gleefully took that chance to smear him. Of course it's safer to take the vaccine, but he got very good and expensive treatment and was up and running in less than a week.

Tim Pool underwent a similar regime and although he stressed his personal belief that the most effective component in his recovery was the monoclonals, he made a point that his doctor was adamant that the secondary treatments (ivermectin, z-pac, intravenous vitamin drips) were just as important in order to prevent a resurgence in symptoms.

The most galling thing for me about the whole "horse dewormer" smear was that its an uncontested fact that Ivermectin aside from being a proven success story as an anti-parasitic, was considered of sufficient interest as an antiviral to be trialled in that role by numerous and legitimate medical practitioners and authorities globally. Yes, the results have been (by consensus) inconclusive, but that it was trialled at all shows that it was never a "snake oil" proposition.

Papacheeks

Banned
If I'm one of the other people working on this film, there's no way I'm standing around with this anti-vax idiot every day, on a confined hot set. Disney can't afford the chance of her infecting everybody else. What a dumb-ass shit show.

Vaccination shot or not you can be vaxed and still carry/spread the virus?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Surely she can't be out with covid since August, has she gone dark on SM? That seems like it would be something that would get posted. And given the nature of recent Disney films, I wouldn't put it past them to just film the whole damn movie with a body double and graft her face on there at the end. They bought ILM and are dead set on getting their moneys worth of CGI :p

Between this, the 6 week reshoots for Dr Strange's sequel, which led to the delay of the entire MCU for 2 months (so it's not some minor adjustments for sure), Disney being unable to release their marvel movies in China, even after sucking up to them, Venom 2 outgrossing all MCU movies this year (imagine saying this a year ago), only to be surpassed by the other Sony Marvel release: Spider Man...it feels like the start of MCUs 4th phase is cursed tbh.

Last edited:
Between this, the 6 week reshoots for Dr Strange's sequel, which led to the delay of the entire MCU for 2 months (so it's not some minor adjustments for sure), Disney being unable to release their marvel movies in China, even after sucking up to them, Venom 2 outgrossing all MCU movies this year (imagine saying this a year ago), only to be surpassed by the other Sony Marvel release: Spider Man...it feels like the start of MCUs 4th phase is cursed tbh.
IMO, the single biggest reason for the success of the MCU up through Endgame (aside from Feige's leadership, which was critical of course) was that they absolutely nailed the casting for Cap, IM, and Thor. And I don't think they have done that for the rising stars of Phase 4 (yes, Thor is still around). The problems around BP 2's production is a good example of that--had he not had cancer, Boseman would have been the biggest star of Phase 4, no question (he was a great actor and also a huge star, and he bought into what they were doing), and his absence is felt here in every way.

IMO, the single biggest reason for the success of the MCU up through Endgame (aside from Feige's leadership, which was critical of course) was that they absolutely nailed the casting for Cap, IM, and Thor. And I don't think they have done that for the rising stars of Phase 4 (yes, Thor is still around). The problems around BP 2's production is a good example of that--had he not had cancer, Boseman would have been the biggest star of Phase 4, no question (he was a great actor and also a huge star, and he bought into what they were doing), and his absence is felt here in every way.
About the bolded part, I think you're letting nostalgia get to you a bit. Let me explain why:

What you say makes sense looking at these movies in 2021, but the truth? Thor movies weren't great even back then and the first one did like 450M WW. Thor needed that soft-reboot with Ragnarok to have a good movie and those 450M WW, is around what Shang Chi and The Eternals are going to do in a pandemic 10 years later, with many countries's cinemas still at half of its full capacity. If we weren't in a pandemic and even with inflation taken into consideration they would probably "win" in the end. The first Captain America also didn't set the world on fire. In fact, all Phase 4 movies release this year will end up doing better of what the first Captain America movie did back then, which was also soft-rebooted starting with its second entry. People don't remember that, but that movie did $370M back then, on a $140M budget, pre-pandemic.

There was a time Cap and Thor weren't a huge box office draw as well.

First Thor movie: 450M. 3rd one: 850M
First Captain America movie: 370M. 3rd one: 1.1B - 3 times the first entry.

My post wasn't about how the movies released so far are doing because the truth? They are doing good all things considered. They are new entries and characters we never heard before, even way more obscure than Thor and Captain America, which were relatively known even before the movies. Not Spider-Man level, but they were. I had no idea what the Eternals were until i heard about the movies. You just need to mention these new movies and events in future MCU movies, add a few Eternals in some movies or Shang Chi characters and those sequels will do much better numbers, specially since by then we won't be dealing with this pandemic anymore, like it always happened before.

My post was about how all strategies Disney have been trying, are failing right now: Attracting China, only to have their movies banned in there, 6 weeks last minute re-shoots happening 6 months before the original release date of a movie is not good, now they don't know what to do with what's possibly the most awaited sequel from Phase 3: Black Panther.

I'm sure things will work out in the end...but these movies are so tied to each other that if one is delayed, the entire MCU has to change as well. That's why it's cursed.

And i just wrote a thesis, lmao.

DapperSloth

I'm surprised she is able to walk free with such dangerous thoughts, let alone star in a movie that will edutain millions.

Because she is a minority I guess? Gina Carano had the same thoughts on twitter and she was canned faster than you can say "holy fuck".

About the bolded part, I think you're letting nostalgia get to you a bit. Let me explain why:

What you say makes sense looking at these movies in 2021, but the truth? Thor movies weren't great even back then and the first one did like 450M WW. Thor needed that soft-reboot with Ragnarok to have a good movie and those 450M WW, is around what Shang Chi and The Eternals are going to do in a pandemic 10 years later, with many countries's cinemas still at half of its full capacity. If we weren't in a pandemic and even with inflation taken into consideration they would probably "win" in the end. The first Captain America also didn't set the world on fire. In fact, all Phase 4 movies release this year will end up doing better of what the first Captain America movie did back then, which was also soft-rebooted starting with its second entry. People don't remember that, but that movie did $370M back then, on a $140M budget, pre-pandemic.

There was a time Cap and Thor weren't a huge box office draw as well.

First Thor movie: 450M. 3rd one: 850M
First Captain America movie: 370M. 3rd one: 1.1B - 3 times the first entry.

My post wasn't about how the movies released so far are doing because the truth? They are doing good all things considered. They are new entries and characters we never heard before, even way more obscure than Thor and Captain America, which were relatively known even before the movies. Not Spider-Man level, but they were. I had no idea what the Eternals were until i heard about the movies. You just need to mention these new movies and events in future MCU movies, add a few Eternals in some movies or Shang Chi characters and those sequels will do much better numbers, specially since by then we won't be dealing with this pandemic anymore, like it always happened before.

My post was about how all strategies Disney have been trying, are failing right now: Attracting China, only to have their movies banned in there, 6 weeks last minute re-shoots happening 6 months before the original release date of a movie is not good, now they don't know what to do with what's possibly the most awaited sequel from Phase 3: Black Panther.

I'm sure things will work out in the end...but these movies are so tied to each other that if one is delayed, the entire MCU has to change as well. That's why it's cursed.

And i just wrote a thesis, lmao.
Yeah, no offense, but I'm gonna stick to my nostalgia rather than read all that.

Civil War panther was the closest we ever got to his comic book version, he felt off in his own movie, they also downplayed his genius.
Yeah, my favorite parts of the MCU tend to be when they avoid the "let's chuckle at everything" stuff. I preferred having him be masked and mysterious, or just more obscure in his thoughts, in Civil War over having him kid around with people in BP.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Vaccination shot or not you can be vaxed and still carry/spread the virus?
True. But the vaccinated are less likely to get Covid in the first place according to multiple studies. Around 5 times less likely. So for something like this where you have loads of people working closely together on a daily basis it's better for everyone if all involved are vaccinated.

But it appears it wasn't Covid anyway.

Top Bottom