• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Panther would be declared as a racist movie if the Director wouldn't be black

Starfield

Instead of being oscar nominated multiple times and declared as "the best Marvel movie ever" it would have been probably outed as hugely racist, don't you agree?

Edit: To mods, if this goes more in a political direction feel free to move it in there. I'm sorry.

Last edited:
How do you mean? It's not like T'Challa and Wakanda are new concepts, they've been around for decades in comic form. Is it just because it has a lot of black people in it? Or because the villain doesn't like what people?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
What? No. Wanna actually explain why you think that?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
was hoping there was a bit more to this, tbh.

tbh i thought quite a bit about it. it is weird. it's a character created by a white man, Stan Lee. it presents an Africa that is not based on any reality but depicts an entirely fictional tribe replete with spear chucking natives that honestly wouldn't be that far off the mark from the stereotypes in an early movie serial.

then there is the representation. the only American POC in the film is the lead villain, everyone else plays the part of the "enlightened immigrant", a much-used racist trope, even popular among leftists. his evil scheme is to liberate the oppressed everywhere. our heroes team up with the CIA in order to stop him. eh?

then there is the ending. the King has decided maybe Wakanda shouldn't horde vibranium for themselves, they need to do outreach. they give vibranium to the CIA and for the actual black people in Oakland, they open up a community center. guess giving vibranium just to black people would have been unfair or something?

lots of other issues with the film, it would be interesting to read. there is this presentation of this as a woke movie just because of who is in it, so analysis of the actual text gets sidelined. this is similar to the liberal love for Hamilton the musical, which depicts white founding fathers (and admitted slavers) in sexy blackface while ignoring the actual historical blacks of the time.

Last edited:

dorkimoe

Correct me if I’m wrong. But wasn’t the point of the film that they didn’t want outsiders in wakanda to take their resources lol?

cryptoadam

Banned
Thought this was ridiculous at first, but thinking about it ya it makes sense.

The movie itself wouldn't be racist, but its production would be looked at as racist. And lets not forget that every little decision would be questioned to have a racist motive. Oh they have spears and ride Rhinos, thats only because the director is racist. Oh they wear skimpy clothes in the cold tempratures, must be racist director thinking black people have super powers.

The conversation would be how could a white person make a film about black people and Africa? Remember when ScarJo got forced off the movie she was making about a transperson? It would be the same backlash.

As abusred as it sounds, in todays world of identity politics it actually makes 100% sense. A white man cannot direct a black movie, the optics to some would make it seem racist. The cries would be why can't a black man direct this seminole black movie, MCU/DIsney are clearly racist because they don't trust a black director. I mean the notion of a white man having complete control over all these black actors almost brings back the imagery of Masta and slave on the plantation or at least thats how it would be played by someone like Don Lemon or Al Shartongue.

Fbh

Yes. But rather than complaining about the content of the movie I think most criticism would be aimed at Marvel and their choice of director

Last edited:

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I don't see why and since you offer no insight why you do, I don't see much to discuss here.

Starfield

Thought this was ridiculous at first, but thinking about it ya it makes sense.

The movie itself wouldn't be racist, but its production would be looked at as racist. And lets not forget that every little decision would be questioned to have a racist motive. Oh they have spears and ride Rhinos, thats only because the director is racist. Oh they wear skimpy clothes in the cold tempratures, must be racist director thinking black people have super powers.

The conversation would be how could a white person make a film about black people and Africa? Remember when ScarJo got forced off the movie she was making about a transperson? It would be the same backlash.

As abusred as it sounds, in todays world of identity politics it actually makes 100% sense. A white man cannot direct a black movie, the optics to some would make it seem racist. The cries would be why can't a black man direct this seminole black movie, MCU/DIsney are clearly racist because they don't trust a black director. I mean the notion of a white man having complete control over all these black actors almost brings back the imagery of Masta and slave on the plantation or at least thats how it would be played by someone like Don Lemon or Al Shartongue.
That's exactly what I mean by this movie would be racist if it was made by a white director. I was on a plane before so I couldn't reply, be on a plane in a few mins again.

cryptoadam

Banned
I don't see why and since you offer no insight why you do, I don't see much to discuss here.

You don't think there would be twitter mobs about how the white director doesn't know enough about the black experience to direct this movie? Or that how even black people are portrayed is racist? There is a scene where we see Wakadians with big lip rings, I am sure a white director would be called out for potraying outdated racial stereotypes.

Also the imagary of a white director directing mainly black actors in "Africa" would be clearly spun as Masta on his plantation.

If ScarJo can have her movie about a transgender person tanked because she isn't transgender, Twitter mobs would of done the same to this movie.

Turnt

So we're just gonna make threads about hypothetical situations where someone might be offended?

Verdanth

Well yes, if the director was a man.

If it was a women, it would be considered revolutionary and win all Oscars for a 10 year period time.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Instead of being oscar nominated multiple times and declared as "the best Marvel movie ever" it would have been probably outed as hugely racist, don't you agree?

Edit: To mods, if this goes more in a political direction feel free to move it in there. I'm sorry.
What is this even, there is too little hypothetical outrage, lets make some more?

If the Director was trans, wouldn't the movie be transphobic? Would the director be rather naive for not inserting trans people into the movie? Would it have gotten a dozen awards if it did?

:goog_unsure::goog_unsure::goog_unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::pie_thinking::pie_thinking::pie_thinking:

oagboghi2

To play devil's advocate, isn't black panther proof that having none white directors a good thing. Now you can have a film like black panther that does all of these things, and not have to worry about political backlash. You can hide behind the directors race if someone is offended?

HarryKS

I was thinking about that the other day and how in the blue hell did Black Panther become what it is as a cultural phenomenon whilst a much better movie, Django Unchained, which deals with empowerment of Black americans has been quietly forgotten.

cryptoadam

Banned
Hello???

I mentioned it no one remembers ScarJo?

Scarlett Johansson has dropped out of her role in fact-based drama Rub & Tug after backlash from the trans community.

The actor was set to play the role of crime kingpin Dante “Tex” Gill, who was born Lois Jean Gill but identified as a man. He used his massage parlors as a front for prostitution.

“In light of recent ethical questions raised surrounding my casting as Dante Tex Gill, I have decided to respectfully withdraw my participation in the project,” Johansson said in a statement to Out magazine. “Our cultural understanding of transgender people continues to advance, and I’ve learned a lot from the community since making my first statement about my casting and realize it was insensitive.”

Since news of the project was announced, with her Ghost in the Shell director Rupert Sanders attached, backlash has followed from trans actors and activists.

Transparent actor Trace Lysette called the decision indicative of the industry at large. “Hollywood is so fucked,” she tweeted. “I wouldn’t be as upset if I was getting in the same rooms as Jennifer Lawrence and Scarlett for cis roles, but we know that’s not the case. A mess.”

Johansson’s initial response, via a representative, brushed off any criticisms.

“Tell them that they can be directed to Jeffrey Tambor, Jared Leto and Felicity Huffman’s reps for comment,” it read. Tambor, Leto and Huffman all successfully played trans roles in, respectively, the TV show Transparent, Dallas Buyers Club and Transamerica.

She continued: “While I would have loved the opportunity to bring Dante’s story and transition to life, I understand why many feel he should be portrayed by a transgender person, and I am thankful that this casting debate, albeit controversial, has sparked a larger conversation about diversity and representation in film. I believe that all artists should be considered equally and fairly. My production company, These Pictures, actively pursues projects that both entertain and push boundaries. We look forward to working with every community to bring these most poignant and important stories to audiences worldwide.”

In response to Johansson’s statement, Glaad president and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis called it a “real opportunity” for the industry to expand on the “authentic transgender portrayals” that have been seen on the small screen.

Actor and trans activist Jen Richards also tweeted: “To exhibit the spirit of generosity I earnestly want to see more of, I am going to take Scarlett Johansson at her word that she listened to feedback, realized that despite her intentions this was going to cause harm, and made the right decision to step down. Well done.”

It is unclear whether the film will continue with a trans actor in the lead role.

So you telling me that people wouldn't jump on the outrage train of a white guy directing a movie about Black people in Africa? The outrage machine would be revving to go. If they somehow could link it to Trump then it would be in full force.

Yes its sad but we are at this point in time now.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I was thinking about that the other day and how in the blue hell did Black Panther become what it is as a cultural phenomenon whilst a much better movie, Django Unchained, which deals with empowerment of Black americans has been quietly forgotten.
The past 15-20 years is all about big blockbuster kick ass movies and cute cartoons.

A movie like Schindler's list which was based off real life and literally world changing for lots of people is considered great, but nobody is begging to see another historic movie. On the other hand, I'm sure Marvel Superhero Movie #18 released in 2030 will make another $500 million- $1 billion.

Hello???

I mentioned it no one remembers ScarJo?

So you telling me that people wouldn't jump on the outrage train of a white guy directing a movie about Black people in Africa? The outrage machine would be revving to go. If they somehow could link it to Trump then it would be in full force.

Yes its sad but we are at this point in time now.

But dude, twitter mobs exist for literally everything. There are fringe lunatics mad about everything, somewhere.

Because a few idiots on twitter get mad about something doesn’t make it a legit newsworthy issue.

Had they chosen a white director for BP, yes it would have raised eyebrows, no question. But I think we create a trap for ourselves to fall into when we keep playing the “what if” game for everything social-political

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Like JareBear said, this is pointless "what ifing." It wasn't directed by a white person, and it's clear that there was an attention to the black community.

As it stands, the movie is generally thoughtful as a whole. My South African girlfriend noted that Andy Serkis speaks in a spot-on Joburg accent, for example. She was slightly miffed that the South Africans in the movie are mercenaries, but that's not entirely without merit.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
if The Last Jedi can be "too feminist for manbabies" yet it was written by a fat bearded white guy no doubt they could pull the same trick w this

cryptoadam

Banned
But dude, twitter mobs exist for literally everything. There are fringe lunatics mad about everything, somewhere.

Because a few idiots on twitter get mad about something doesn’t make it a legit newsworthy issue.

Had they chosen a white director for BP, yes it would have raised eyebrows, no question. But I think we create a trap for ourselves to fall into when we keep playing the “what if” game for everything social-political

Would you think ScarJo playing a transgender character was legit newsworthy?

Basically the same situation, a few idiots on twitter got mad and forced ScarJo out of the movie and killed the movie because without her no one wanted to make the movie.

With twitter now a days you just need a few idiots to make some noise and its enough for companies to bow down. Look at James Gunn getting removed from GOG because of tweets he made decades ago.

A twitter mob would form and as we saw already with the MCU they would fold like a cheap suite.

Dunki

All I know that the movie is way to overblown. Not because it was a great movie but because of the "social importance" Like I fucking care about this while watching a superhero movie. If his one gets an Oscar I will just sit there quitely and BLOCK everyone from my life who voted for this.

Meanwhile a masterpiece like ROMA gets ignored because it has not a social impactful message to tell like black Panther or Blackclansman. Fuck this.

If Roma does not win I will riot. But maybe it is also a movie that is way to intelligent for these so called progressive marionettes that can not even think on their own^^

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
difference is Scarjo is the "face" of the character. she will be on posters, in trailers, etc. you aren't even going to see the director unless you seek it out. optics. shareholders care about the director, financing, etc. representation people just want the right face on a poster.

a big part of SJW culture is focused on optics above all. thus you can have a white director, white writer, etc. so long as a POC is playing the lead role or is otherwise highlighted to suggest as such in marketing.

again, look at Hamilton. you can revive & glorify slavers and make them seem multi cultural and progressive so long as you have the roles all played by black people. imagine if Hamilton was all white people, rapping about how badass they are. it would be laughed off the stage. but make this one tweak and you can get away with it...

Last edited:

Aurelian

All I know that the movie is way to overblown. Not because it was a great movie but because of the "social importance" Like I fucking care about this while watching a superhero movie. If his one gets an Oscar I will just sit there quitely and BLOCK everyone from my life who voted for this.

Meanwhile a masterpiece like ROMA gets ignored because it has not a social impactful message to tell like black Panther or Blackclansman. Fuck this.

If Roma does not win I will riot. But maybe it is also a movie that is way to intelligent for these so called progressive marionettes that can not even think on their own^^

What are you talking about? Roma has been praised to the high hills and back. It has ten Oscar nominations, including in multiple major categories where Black Panther is a no-show. And yes, it has a socially impactful message -- it's a commentary on the double-standards that sometimes crop up in male authority (guys who claim to be big shots, but abdicate responsibilities whenever kids are involved) as well as social class discrepancies.

And good grief, man... let people enjoy things. Black Panther winning an Oscar would not be a horrendous crime. It's a well-made movie with talented actors, and has a surprising amount of social commentary for what's supposed to be a popcorn flick. Your world will not end if someone you know likes that the movie won an award.

JimiNutz

Banned
I do see what you're saying, the speer chucking rhino riders may have been seen as problematic by some extremely sensitive groups.

Dunki

What are you talking about? Roma has been praised to the high hills and back. It has ten Oscar nominations, including in multiple major categories where Black Panther is a no-show. And yes, it has a socially impactful message -- it's a commentary on the double-standards that sometimes crop up in male authority (guys who claim to be big shots, but abdicate responsibilities whenever kids are involved) as well as social class discrepancies.

And good grief, man... let people enjoy things. Black Panther winning an Oscar would not be a horrendous crime. It's a well-made movie with talented actors, and has a surprising amount of social commentary for what's supposed to be a popcorn flick. Your world will not end if someone you know likes that the movie won an award.
No it is not. It is not even the best Marvel Movie this year. Black Panther only gets a nomination because it is "progressive" that is their only reason to even be nominated.

And I am talking about shit like this
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...lot-roma-just-an-expensive-home-movie-1187668

And I will be honest here. Roma is the only movie on there that has the potential to become a classic

And yes you can enjoy Black Panther as much as you want. I also enjoy stupid shallow movies. But this is not about people enjoying a movie. This is about giving a decent Marvel Movie the biggest award in this Industry. It would be fucking ridiculous. I also would not vote for Infinity Wars as a nomination even though it is a much better and polished movie than Black Panther who also has a message and shows something totally different for these kind of movies

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
No it is not. It is not even the best Marvel Movie this year. Black Panther only gets a nomination because it is "progressive" that is their only reason to even be nominated.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/l...lot-roma-just-an-expensive-home-movie-1187668

And I will be honest here. Roma is the only movie on there that has the potential to become a classic

And yes you can enjoy Black Panther as much as you want. I also enjoy stupid shallow movies. But this is not about people enjoying a movie. This is about giving a decent Marvel Movie the biggest award in this Industry. It would be fucking ridiculous. I also would not vote for Infinity Wars as a nomination even though it is a much better and polished movie than Black Panther who also has a message and shows something totally different for these kind of movies

You can dunk (sorry, had to) on BP all you want because you didn't (obviously) like it...

But when me and my friends went to see it on opening weekend... We talked about how we went through the gamut of emotions while watching it. Awe, sadness, excitement, joy... If you could have seen my face when they first showed Wakanda through the veil...

I don't expect you to understand why so many love that movie... I've seen it countless times since then ... Just let folks have this movie and be happy if it wins any Oscars.

ButDidYouDie.gif

Aurelian

The Academy likes movies with social messages. See movies like Do the Right Thing or Philadelphia, for example. It really shouldn't come as a shock that BP would get nominated. And I'm sorry, but it was not only an enjoyable movie for a lot of people, it shattered expectations for what would normally be a quiet month for movies. You don't have to be enthralled with the movie yourself, but you're not the sole arbiter of taste.

(For reference, I think Infinity War was more thematically complex than BP, but I also think BP stood out in other ways, and that Infinity War didn't really have much of a message beyond "balance at all costs isn't a good thing.")

Keep in mind that the Hollywood Reporter article comes from one voter out of more than 8,000. One. The odds are that you could canvass virtually any Oscars vote and find dissent even on movies that swept the awards. I also wouldn't say that voter is entirely wrong. It's an indulgent home movie (it's based on the life of Cuaron's housekeeper), but it's also beautiful, narratively powerful and well-acted. I look at it more as a modern version of a movie like Fellini's Amarcord, where it's at once a look back at the creator's childhood but also a dash of political commentary.

Last edited:

mcjmetroid

This is a little cynical and I never even thought about it ( I didn't even know the director was Black)
You might be right though, We'll never know though.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
If that were true people would already have latched on that 2 white guys made it a comic book

Last edited:

Dunki

You can dunk (sorry, had to) on BP all you want because you didn't (obviously) like it...

But when me and my friends went to see it on opening weekend... We talked about how we went through the gamut of emotions while watching it. Awe, sadness, excitement, joy... If you could have seen my face when they first showed Wakanda through the veil...

I don't expect you to understand why so many love that movie... I've seen it countless times since then ... Just let folks have this movie and be happy if it wins any Oscars.

ButDidYouDie.gif
I am talking abut the movie itself. The quality of the writing, cuts direction etc. This is what a Movie should be accounted for. And Philadelphia for example was a good movie because all of this. This is the same bullshit as giving Ghostbuster 2016 a even decent 60-70 score because of women.

Again you can love the movie as much as you want. But this is or should not be about mow much you loved the message of the movie but about the ACTUAL quality of the movie.

And even then Roma tos all of this as well. Even your social message but it is highly intelligent

Keep in mind that the Hollywood Reporter article comes from one voter out of more than 8,000. One. The odds are that you could canvass virtually any Oscars vote and find dissent even on movies that swept the awards. I also wouldn't say that voter is entirely wrong. It's an indulgent home movie (it's based on the life of Cuaron's housekeeper), but it's also beautiful, narratively powerful and well-acted. I look at it more as a modern version of a movie like Fellini's Amarcord, where it's at once a look back at the creator's childhood but also a dash of political commentary.

Then maybe this person needs to have his right to vote revoked if he says this about Roma

To me, it's a very slow and rather indulgent film — the most expensive home movie ever made

And the only thing he cared about was the social message nothing else.

Last edited:

Domisto

All I know is, when I saw the trailer I thought - oh, a black hero and cast, and they've given them loads of African iconography and chucked some rap music over the top. What a load of stereotypes. How creative you are Hollywood. It also looked cheesy as, so I still haven't watched it.

Last edited:
All I know is, when I saw the trailer I thought - oh, a black hero and cast, and they've given them loads of African iconography and chucked some rap music over the top. What a load of stereotypes. How creative you are Hollywood. It also looked cheesy as, so I still haven't watched it.

This gives it a unique flavor set apart from other marvel movies, that gives it a different experience the first showing. Once that effect wears off it's just another marvel movie.

It's good to see differentiation within that vacuum, even if overall it plays to common themes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aurelian

Then maybe this person needs to have his right to vote revoked if he says this about Roma

Really? No! It's a bit ironic that you complain about groupthink in one breath but yet want this voter to toe the line. I only really think we should want Academy voters to be informed, not to simply echo what others are saying. I don't believe this voter is right about Roma, but I also don't think they should lose their voting privileges simply because they disagreed.

Absolutely 100% no.

100% yes, of course it would.

The radical left don't know what to think. The question most raised by them on social media goes something like "how should we think of this?" or "I don't know what to think of this".

Well if it's racist then it's racist, if it's not then it's not. There is no interpretation of racism where there isn't any I'm afraid, but they spin everything.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Edit: Haven't seen the film yet unfortunately, I want to because one, I like superhero films, and two, I don't see racism everywhere, crazy that isn't it!

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Last year was a good year to be a young black kid. Spiderman and Black Panther showed young black kids that they can be superheros. I didn't like Black Panther as much as most but I thought it was pretty good. I didn't even know what race or background of either director. I didn't care. I wager I'm not alone either. Good movies are about people, not colors.

Last edited:

Domisto

This gives it a unique flavor set apart from other marvel movies, that gives it a different experience the first showing. Once that effect wears off it's just another marvel movie.

It's good to see differentiation within that vacuum, even if overall it plays to common themes.
To be fair, it's not really my scene. I like a bit of Marvel but it's fluff to me. So this looks like reskinning the formula in a really obvious way. It's the exotic African one and that leaves it feeling a bit shallow and unimaginative.

It just strikes me as a very Western approach. The imagery makes me think more of 19th Century Africa than 21st. I'm no expert on African culture so I'd be far more interested to hear what an actual African audience thought of it. I'm sure many would like it regardless. Even more interesting would be what kind of hero movie an African team would create.

Anyway, I look forward to Black Panther II which will no doubt be set in Harlem and they have to time travel back to the 1970s.

100% yes, of course it would.

The radical left don't know what to think. The question most raised by them on social media goes something like "how should we think of this?" or "I don't know what to think of this".

Well if it's racist then it's racist, if it's not then it's not. There is no interpretation of racism where there isn't any I'm afraid, but they spin everything.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Edit: Haven't seen the film yet unfortunately, I want to because one, I like superhero films, and two, I don't see racism everywhere, crazy that isn't it!

You're not busting my bubble, you're locking yourself into your own bubble.

To be fair, it's not really my scene. I like a bit of Marvel but it's fluff to me. So this looks like reskinning the formula in a really obvious way. It's the exotic African one and that leaves it feeling a bit shallow and unimaginative.

It just strikes me as a very Western approach. The imagery makes me think more of 19th Century Africa than 21st. I'm no expert on African culture so I'd be far more interested to hear what an actual African audience thought of it. I'm sure many would like it regardless. Even more interesting would be what kind of hero movie an African team would create.

As they always say, to each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is bullshit logic.

"[Thing] would definitely receive a harsh and hypocritical reaction if [variable] was different" is not actually an argument.

What am I supposed to say?

I could say "Yes, this would definitely happen". But where is my proof? It's boogeyman conjecture. How is this supposed to affect my behavior moving forward or guide my decisions? I'm not interested in spending my time worrying about possible outcomes for imaginary hypocritical conflicts.

Yet I can't say "No", because the obvious retort would be "are you saying this wouldn't happen? Are you saying such-and-such group doesn't engage in hypocritical behavior?" and I would be unable to defend my standpoint.

Unfalsifiable claims are not a part of logical discourse.

Aurelian

Anyway, I look forward to Black Panther II which will no doubt be set in Harlem and they have to time travel back to the 1970s.

I'd say there's a bit more to it than that, but I do agree that it's not strictly revolutionary. And to some degree, reskinning it is valuable in itself. We see so many movies that tend to use Africa as a prop (movies like The Ghost and the Darkness amount to "white guys visit Africa") or are about a specific historic moment (see: Invictus), so having an action movie that thrives on African culture is frankly refreshing.

I can't offer a black African reaction to the movie, but as I alluded to earlier, my girlfriend is British-background South African and quite enjoyed seeing her continent represented as more than a cliché.

Top Bottom