• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Black Sails S4 |OT| The End Is About To Begin - Sundays 9/8c on Starz

I really loved 4x08, I think it was a such an incredible episode for Toby Stephens and Flint in particular. Flint, hoping that civilization must be more than this, that can be better than this. When the cache was revealed, the immediate change from the more McGraw-ish side of Flint we've seen all season back into the boiling rage Flint of the earlier seasons was electric. Silver and Flint verbally tearing each other apart of each other's loyalty was riveting. Despite all the magnificent moments, the big scene stealer for me was ultimately Flint captivating both Dooley and the audience with the tale of Avery and Skeleton Island. I saw on Reddit someone made a Heart of Darkness comparison to how the show chose to portray Skeleton Island, and it feels very accurate. Both Nassau and Skeleton Island feel almost like their own characters on the show.

4x08 was a satisfying accumulation of Max's character arc thus far, whilst picking up some loose threads (Idelle/Charlotte/Anne, Mrs Mapleton/etc). Max's apology and epiphany was wonderful, and it was an epiphany other characters have only realized too late - poor Eleanor. Hopefully it's still soon enough to save Max. Speaking of Eleanor, it was touching to have her still be such a strong presence on the show even in death, and effecting so many character arcs.

I'm 50/50 whether Silver and Flint have genuinely betrayed each other, though I don't think Silver really told the crew to kill Flint. On the one hand, Silver and Flint both genuinely look shocked at their respective betrayals. On the other hand, how the everloving fuck did Silver and Dooley get the chest of the ship in broad daylight. Was everyone else braiding each other's hair on deck?

God this show has gone down the drain. These damn women in this show all need to fucking stop being in the show.

If you're not joking, Mama Flint is judging your questionable taste.

giphy.gif

8yO7K.gif

I'm 50/50 whether Silver and Flint have genuinely betrayed each other, though I don't think Silver really told the crew to kill Flint. On the one hand, Silver and Flint both genuinely look shocked at their respective betrayals. On the other hand, how the everloving fuck did Silver and Dooley get the chest of the ship in broad daylight. Was everyone else braiding each other's hair on deck?

They threw it overboard below decks, presumably out a gun port or something big enough. It was attached to 2 or 3 barrels by ropes, the barrels floated and they pulled those along their little skiff while the chest was at the bottom of the river just being yanked along.

They threw it overboard below decks, presumably out a gun port or something big enough. It was attached to 2 or 3 barrels by ropes, the barrels floated and they pulled those along their little skiff while the chest was at the bottom of the river just being yanked along.

That makes a lot of sense, thank you! Thankfully, everyone deck was too distracted to notice the big splash, ha.

cLOUDo

Amazing episode
Fuck Max again
It was her idea get the support of grandma Guthrie
And now he decides not to do it and she fucks Jack and "recover" anne
This had to be her plan all along

Tldr fuck Max

Holy shit. Skeleton Island

The set up they have done for the final two episodes is fucking crazy. There's so much tension about to just blow up with flint vs everyone. I almost regret having read Treasure Island long before this show ever came out. It's a fantastic adventure book but now I can kinda see (a little) how this situation will play out.

And rackham is heading there too. Whew. Shit's about to get real.

Really gonna miss this show. Flint in particular is one of my favorite TV performances in a while.

I think this route they've gone with Max works a lot too. Especially with being a wife and being the real influence of change that's coming to Nassau behind the scenes. Its so dumb that she turned down that offer but I'm assuming it's not off the table and she'll reconsider. No freaking way should they let this show end without Anne and Rackham together. Dead or alive

Crixus

What a great episode, all the Silver vs Flint scenes are insane. The whole depiction of the island before they even set foot on land... and the buildup with that amazing music during Flint's story about the ship of horrors and then into the confrontation with Israel, that's top class television if I ever saw one. I'm so excited about the final clash, but also sad that it's truly the end.

Rolfgang

This show is absolutely insane. The tension is so high right now and I'm in complete dubio if Flint and Silver are working together on this.

These last few episodes are so bittersweet. I want to see how it ends, but I just don't want it to ever end. And if Toby Stephens doesn't get a big award for his depiction of Flint, I'm gonna report the organizations of the Grammy's and Golden Globes to the authorities, because it would be a crime.

Audioboxer

Replying blind as not to spoil myself. Just seen episode 3, holy shit what an hour of TV.

Damn depressing this topic only has 8 pages. Damn depressing.

Fjordson

Replying blind as not to spoil myself. Just seen episode 3, holy shit what an hour of TV.

Damn depressing this topic only has 8 pages. Damn depresing.
Agreed, show is too underrated.

I've been stuck on episode 2, just have been busy and haven't gotten around to the rest. Will try to start catching up tonight, though. Seems like it's been a great season so far.

Audioboxer

Agreed, show is too underrated.

I've been stuck on episode 2, just have been busy and haven't gotten around to the rest. Will try to start catching up tonight, though. Seems like it's been a great season so far.

*Avoiding reading above my post*

Episode 3 is a fucking ride. Strap in.

This season is covering so much ground. I don't know what to think half the time.

Except Billy can go jump off a cliff now. I'm invested and very upset at him.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
SPOILERS FOR THE NEW EPISODE

Jack's conversation with the old man was beautiful: "Hold onto this for as long as you can. For all of us who once had it and walked away." And I loved how that dynamic came to an end with a moment of black humor, with Jack declaring he was on the cusp of changing the world and being truly free, only to walk outside and find the old man dead and his hopes of ever finding Skeleton Island all but dashed. (I'm sure they'll reach the island eventually, but in that moment you could literally see Jack's soul leaving his body.)

EDIT:

There were so many slick fight scenes too - Flint Vs. Joji, Flint Vs. Hands, Flint Vs. Silver. (Flint Vs. Dooley :(). Flint 4 World 0 when will your fave

Joji was as formidable and badass an opponent as we all expected him to be (there's a reason he survived 4 seasons of Black Sails as a background character!). Hands went down super quick though - and here I was expecting him to be one of the top fighters on the show. Perhaps he was just winded after wondering the jungle for several hours? :D

EDIT 2, still thinking about the episode:

God, I love Flint and Silver's relationship so much. Tonight's episode was so good on that front (and every other front).

I'll return with a ramble later, but in the meantime, my reaction to 4x09 -

tenor.gif

I don't think I've ever been so genuinely mournful about a series ending in my life. Normally I'm not particularly bothered, and a bit more calmly accepting the ride. There is upside in that the showrunners get to have the opportunity to end it on their own terms, but fuck, I'm really going to miss Black Sails. What a ludicrously underrated and incredibly unique gem. I don't think I've ever seen a show so dense with foreshadowing and parallels, and what's better, is that the show respects its audience enough to figure it out for themselves.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 9 was maybe the best episode of the entire series. Hot damn.

Only one more episode left. :(

Cosigned.

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9

Like you said, I absolutely loved the interactions Rackham had with the old guy who was taking them to Skeleton Island. I knew some darkly funny shit was going to go down when there was a knock at the door right when Jack's speech was at a crescendo. That "hold onto this as long as you can..." line is like one of the best in the series. And it came from a nobody characters WE JUST MET.

This reminded me a lot of the Season 3 finale. Once again it was cutting back to Flint and Silver on the beach, just this time for Silver's sword training. And there were so many wonderful shots in this episode too! Like the one of Flint and Silver standing in the jungle by the water, right before their fight.

The scene between Madi and Rogers was another great moment. This show has made it a point to highlight how men in this world use their influence to take away what little power women have. And Madi just spit that shit right back in his face. Beautifully well acted scene on both sides.

Oh, and I love that right at the very end of this show they managed to sneak in another instance of Flint screwing over and killing someone who put their trust in him.

I'm going to stop. I could spend all day gushing about this episode. I honestly could not ask for more from this show.

Episode 9 was maybe the best episode of the entire series. Hot damn.

Only one more episode left. :(

i'm inclined to agree with this right now

Cosigned.

SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 9

Oh, and I love that right at the very end of this show they managed to sneak in another instance of Flint screwing over and killing someone who put their trust in him.

this might have been my single favorite moment of the series.
the gradual buildup of tension, a brief moment of much-needed catharsis, and then everything that follows

Rymuth

-
Though I think the Governor x Eleanor love story is downright unbelievably comedic, props for the scene where the sound of her knitting suddenly stops. What a perfect way to illustrate that any semblance of humanity left in this asshole has left him.

-
Speaking of assholes, Billy *so* deserves getting that Blackspot in Treasure Island...what a pos

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
This is how you lead up to a finale. I will say there is not a better TV series todate that has done more work into it than Black Sails.

TripOpt55

Awesome episode. Episode 409 Spoilers
I loved the flashbacks to the sword training with Flint and Silver. The scenes really complimented the main story very well especially the final scenes. As Grizzlyjin mentioned, very reminiscent of the S3 finale. I loved the atmosphere and feel of Skeleton Island. And all the sword fights were great. Especially the one with Joji. Oh and I loved Madi's reaction to Rogers offer.

Wow what an amazing episode, I was glued to my screen the entire time.

It felt so short.

One thing that this show absolutely gets right (pretty much all the time) is the conversations between characters, I can listen to
Flint and Silver talk all day long, Jack and the old man was great, Madi with Rogers
and the background music is fantastic

And skeleton island is beautifully creepy lol

Audioboxer

Damn that episode is setting up one hell of a finale. Legitimately do not know what is going to go down. Sadly I feel it will leave us feeling a season 5 could have been done!

I was saying to a friend online today I'll take 4 high quality seasons over budget problems or cancellation down the line. Can't be the cheapest show for Starz. I hope there is a nice all seasons together Blu Ray special edition. I love pirates and this show has just been class. My favourite AC game is still Black Flag. I wish they'd make another. Good pirate games are rare.

Also speaking of social media the damn Black Sails Twitter account retweeted me and I had my first and probably only glimpse of how it must feel to be popular on twitter LOL.

What an amazing penultimate episode, I haven't felt like this since Breaking Bad's Ozymandias. Every single second of this episode was beautiful and amazing.

I sort of feel bad for it but man this island really makes me think a lot about the upcoming Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I really, really, really hope its good, wanna keep this great pirate streak going.

I definitely hope they put together a collectors edition of the blu rays with some swag, day one buy for me.

TDLink

70 minutes left...

Such a great ride of a show.

Still holding on to hope that they'll do a Treasure Island miniseries to follow up on this.

Hyun Sai

The directing too. Those camera angles, the faces half in shadow and half in light. Fuuuuuuck. So good.

True, the fight scenes were a thing of beauty.

197676Joji.jpg

When we think of it, Flint
just killed 6 crewmates. We can say, pun intended, that he is doing this by the book

One hell of an episode. I've burned through 5-6 episodes to catch up this week, and it was worth it. Great season so far, and it's awesome to see them go out on a high.

One hell of an episode. I've burned through 5-6 episodes to catch up this week, and it was worth it. Great season so far, and it's awesome to see them go out on a high.

Bittersweet for sure. Hate to see it go but it's better than recommending it to someone and then adding the caveat of stopping after Season X because it starts sucking like most shows these days.

- Promo for the series finale (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Bittersweet for sure. Hate to see it go but it's better than recommending it to someone and then adding the caveat of stopping after Season X because it starts sucking like most shows these days.
I'm fine with it. They'll get 38 hour-long episodes and a chance to end it on their own terms when all is said and done. That's a lot more than most shows get.

I just started season 3. It's been good so far; but the thing that holds it back for me is the dialog. Everyone always delivers line like they're saying a really important thing, and very often lines sound like they are explaining the plot to me as a viewer instead of a real conversation: "You can't do X because if you do X, Y will happen and your plans for Z will be ruined!".

Top Bottom