• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

It has been 2 weeks since I've seen this film and I must confess: I'm obsessed with it.

I was sitting in the theater and every 10 minutes I was thinking "I cannot believe that this is real, that this masterpiece is revealing before my eyes".

It is a masterpiece because much like it predecessor and other SF movies, it has the characteristics of an iconic movie, much like the Matrix has been for the '00 years.
Although it's a sequel, it can stand on its own, it bears the mark of its time (these are the years of the AI debates) by taking Philip K Dick original ideas and filtering them through today's understanding on the subject.
But I will not talk right now about the ideas, the multi-layered philosophical questions put forth, the script and dialogue lines. All these are very good in my opinion, certainly above your everyday SF movie.

Instead, what struck me as out of the ordinary and what got me obsessed with it are the iconic scenes. Much like "the Matrix"'s bullet time sequence, Bladerunner 2049 has enough of these sequences.

And I'm not talking about just beautiful scenery to look at (like Prometheus or Avatar which fade away in time) but scenes that become memories themselves because of the impression they make on us (me). It's not just about technical proficency in film-making, these scenes also elevate the story, and shape the characters personalities.
Much like in the original Bladerunner where we have for example Batty's death (Tears in the Rain) sequence which has become a timeless masterpiece or the Voight-Kampff test sequence, Bladerunner 2049 has these trendsetting sequences as well. They are exquisitely crafted and every SF movie coming out in the future with similar scenes will get compared to Bladerunner 2049. That's the hallmark of a masterpiece movie in my opinion.

Bear in mind that these sequences are not entirely new ideas in such movies just that the way they where represented in this film has raised the bar to a new level.

In no particular order, these are some images that have stayed with me, imprinted in the visual cortex:
- The AI sex scene: this will become a staple sequence for Bladerunner 2049. The eye merging sequence while looking towards the spectator in the theater (much like the "Nights of Cabiria" final sequence) is pure genius. I know that Her tried something like this, but it's not even close.
Ana-de-Armas-and-Mackenzie-Davis-in-Blade-Runner-2049.jpg
- The fight scene with Elvis cuts in. Can't get it out of my mind, because of how the fight was delivered to the public, like an old broken record trying to still be relevant in its own spectacular way.
- JOI trying to wake up broken K in the broken car. Damn, what a powerful, powerful scene that was.
- the Drone strike. an instant classic, I won't be surprised if it becomes a meme
- No-memory-JOI - opaque-eyed JOI and K dialogue of course
- Frank Sinatra singing to Joe (in that song too). Just amazing how it made everything go away, the outside world, it was just Joe and his song in that instant.
- New Rachel emerging from the shadows (a tribute to the original scene, beautifully delivered, technically outstanding, a testament for today's advances in digital fillm-making but also a window into the past )
- the new Voight-Kampff test

Sure, one may say that maybe these are just too iconic, that maybe BR2049 tried too much to be like the original BR in this regard. Indeed this was a big risk and I thought about it, it's just that Denis Villeneuve delivered everything perfectly, with modesty and subtlety creating coherent art work.
What a movie.
blade-runner-2049-image-ryan-gosling.jpg

Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely

Theodoricos

Time will tell which of these scenes will become iconic, but my bet is on the love scene and the scene with Joi's advertisement at the end of the movie, mostly because they're emotionally charged and they also don't really have an equivalent in the original film.

Time will tell which of these scenes will become iconic, but my bet is on the love scene and the scene with Joi's advertisement at the end of the movie, mostly because they're emotionally charged and they also don't really have an equivalent in the original film.

Love scene has so much emotional impact and really makes you think about the future of humanity since we are totally going into that direction if current trends last.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just popped into say that the actress who played Joi, I had never seen her before but my goodness she just jumped off the screen. Incredible beauty, expressive face ... the most interesting character in the movie.

Bit-Bit

It's cold and I want K's coat.

This movie is a masterpiece. I can say that after finding the original to be visually cool but a boring film.

2049 is the kind of film that will inspire people to make their own films. After watching it, it lingers on for days and weeks in your mind.

Theodoricos

It's cold and I want K's coat.

This movie is a masterpiece. I can say that after finding the original to be visually cool but a boring film.

2049 is the kind of film that will inspire people to make their own films. After watching it, it lingers on for days and weeks in your mind.

I certainly hope it inspired future cyberpunk directors, but with those box office numbers I'm afraid that we won't see another movie like it in quite some time.

kunonabi

Saw the movie yesterday with my dad. It did feel a tad overlong and it didn't really start strong which didn't really help. Overall I enjoyed it although not nearly as much as the original and I spent most of the movie wishing it was focusing on elements outside of the core narrative. Some of the motivations near the end seemed sort of odd too.

The movie also felt more old-hat than I was expecting.

Still, it was gorgeous in its own way and I'd be totally down for another viewing or too.

The music was pretty damn disappointing but it's Zimmer so not really a shocker there.

sidenote: And even this late in the game people were walking out of it. Two ladies just up and left after the love scene.

At the moment it's in my top ten for the year but I could actually see it falling out which is kind of suprising to me considering the talent involved.

Kadayi

Banned
I'd say try and get that second viewing in. With the first one it's very easy to get overawed by the spectacle, but with a second you can pick up on the dialogue more.

Still waiting for my making of book to arrive. Amazon have done two pushbacks on releasing it so far (both with very short notice). If there's a third ....I'm not sure how I'm going to react....

Sapiens

It's the best film I saw all year - shame it made no money. Hoping for a underdog best-pic oscar nod to get it back into a few theatres for a few weeks.

Sapiens

Also, I wonder if Villenueve played Snatcher??? (unless the shot is referencing something in the original):

blade-runner-2049-image-ryan-gosling.jpg

Q5rghXe.png

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Yeah it's a great film and a fantastic sequel. Also if you've the money and you're a big fan I can heartily recommend the making of book. Mine eventually turned up and firstly it's huge, and secondly, it's gorgeous, full of all sorts of details about the making of, as well as plenty of behind the scenes photos and concept imagery. .

Z3M0G

Unfortunate that they spent zero budget on the BluRay menu... total generic template menu. Understandable though... (maybe 3d disk is better)

Wow so they did use miniatures for the wastland landscapes not CGI.

Kadayi

Banned
Wow so they did use miniatures for the wasteland landscapes not CGI.

Yeah there was a lot of miniatures (though given the size of them that's an amusing term)

Oh yeah forgot about this: -

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/blade-runner-2049-sequel-ridley-scott-plans-1201914259/

Apparently, Scott wants to make a third film (and he thought BR2049 was too long which is why it struggled at the Box Office).

Personally, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. Assuming Fancher and Green have something viable and it remains true to the last one but avoids heading into Matrix Replicant revolutions territory it could be interesting but at the same time I'm not sure I'd necessarily want more, or whether I'd trust Scott to deliver it. Albeit I think he's still a visually great director, both Prometheus and Alien Covenant weren't great films IMHO and I'd be happier with either Villeneuve reprising directorial duties or maybe David Fincher (though his love of CG could be an issue).

Last edited:

Z3M0G

Yeah there was a lot of miniatures (though given the size of them that's an amusing term)

Oh yeah forgot about this: -

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/blade-runner-2049-sequel-ridley-scott-plans-1201914259/

Apparently, Scott wants to make a third film (and he thought BR2049 was too long which is why it struggled at the Box Office).

Personally, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. Assuming Fancher and Green have something viable and it remains true to the last one but avoids heading into Matrix Replicant revolutions territory it could be interesting but at the same time I'm not sure I'd necessarily want more, or whether I'd trust Scott to deliver it. Albeit I think he's still a visually great director, both Prometheus and Alien Covenant weren't great films IMHO and I'd be happier with either Villeneuve reprising directorial duties or maybe David Fincher (though his love of CG could be an issue).

That weta stuff should be on the Blu-Ray... :/

Edit: And this is absolutely amazing! Watching the film I was convinced that some of these shots were somehow real locations... it goes a long way when you can tell they are simply NOT digital.

And about a 3rd film... yikes, yah he better NOT try to tell a story around Replacant uprising...

What made this movie so fascinating, was that it jumped ahead 30 years and there was an entirely new world to introduce to the viewer... there was a new world-story to tell through the visuals and vistas, and it told a completely new story about Replacants and AI... it was not so much an immediate sequel to the first film (it was and wasn't).

For a 3rd movie to work, I'd need them to do the same thing again... jump ahead another 30 years... whatever revolt to happen has happened... and we are being shown a 3rd world with new philosophies to explore.

Last edited:

Gamegeneral

I think my favorite part was the really slow fight over Decker in the aqueduct (I think that's what that was?). This whole movie was a slow burning treat.

Kadayi

Banned
That weta stuff should be on the Blu-Ray... :/

It better. I bought a Blu-ray player for the TV and one for the PC specifically because of pre-ordering it (though admittedly I've bought a bunch of Blu-rays of other films already).

And about a 3rd film... yikes, yah he better NOT try to tell a story around Replicant uprising...

What made this movie so fascinating, was that it jumped ahead 30 years and there was an entirely new world to introduce to the viewer... there was a new world-story to tell through the visuals and vistas, and it told a completely new story about Replicants and AI... it was not so much an immediate sequel to the first film (it was and wasn't).

For a 3rd movie to work, I'd need them to do the same thing again... jump ahead another 30 years... whatever revolt to happen has happened... and we are being shown a 3rd world with new philosophies to explore.

Yeah I'd be comfortable with an evolved storyline in the distant future of BR2049 rather than an extension of it.

Z3M0G

It better. I bought a Blu-ray player for the TV and one for the PC specifically because of pre-ordering it (though admittedly I've bought a bunch of Blu-rays of other films already).

Nah the BluRay is paper thin... I haven't loaded up the 3D disk yet, but the 2D disk has a cookie-cutter template menu (zero movie-specific aspects to it other than the background image), and just a few short featureettes. As well as the prequel short-films, at least.

Kadayi

Banned
Nah the BluRay is paper thin... I haven't loaded up the 3D disk yet, but the 2D disk has a cookie-cutter template menu (zero movie-specific aspects to it other than the background image), and just a few short featureettes. As well as the prequel short-films, at least.

I didn't think we'd get a commentary track tbh (I don't recall Villeneuve doing them for his other films, but my memory could be cloudy), but I wouldn't remotely to be surprised to see a further collectors/directors release down the road. Villeneuve has talked about a 4-hour cut and albeit he said it would never be released. That's a lot of extra footage to just leave unseen.

Kadayi

Banned
The soundtrack gave me so many feels.

I love love LOVED the track "Seawall."

Picked up the blu ray, hope to watch this bad boy tomorrow. Will be my third time watching the movie :E

SEAWALL

Yeah initially I was a bit down on the soundtrack, but it's been my car music for the last couple of months and I really dig it. it's a different beast from Vangelis for sure. My only real complaint would be the 'Almost Human' track, which must have been played during the credit roll (I don't recall it in the film proper). Should have licensed another Elvis or Sinatra track if they were stuck or reworked the original BR credit theme.

Robot Pants

Soundtrack is amazing

And please for the love of everything holy keep Ridley Scott away from Blade Runner forever

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
And please for the love of everything holy keep Ridley Scott away from Blade Runner forever

To be fair we wouldn't have gotten BR2049 if he hadn't wanted to revive the IP, so there is that consider but based off of what he's done with the Alien IP I agree with the sentiment. I'm ok with him being involved in getting the ball rolling. I just would prefer someone else to curate the actual delivery.

Z3M0G

It was a fun movie. Sound track was garbage though.

Yah, I don't know... I found it pretty powerful.

To be fair we wouldn't have gotten BR2049 if he hadn't wanted to revive the IP, so there is that consider but based off of what he's done with the Alien IP I agree with the sentiment. I'm ok with him being involved in getting the ball rolling. I just would prefer someone else to curate the actual delivery.

What worries me is that it sounds like he wants to go more Hollywood with it next time... he wants it shorter, he probably wants it more fast paced as well. It could still be good if he brings the same creative minds on board... this movie was a passion project handed to an incredible group of veterans who were given full creative control. If they want to make $$ next time, that will NOT happen again. If they want to aim for high art and just make an amazing movie, damn the box office, all the power to them.

Last edited:

llien

Watched it (at home, but on a 65" OLED screen) finally, together with my wife.
We both did enjoy it, took us 2 evenings to finish, both got 'hey, wouldn't it be too long at the cinema?" quesiton.

While I agree it's a great movie, I don't get why people think it's epic. (Spouse was rather disappointed with the ending.)

Got an itch to re-watch prequel, from which I could only vaguely remember Rachel's face.

GabeARG

Best experience I had in a Cinema in the last 10 yeas, at the same level with Interestellar. Just a perfect movie 10/10.

notathing

Banned
To me it is a well made bore-fest. Fell asleep twice and not planning on a third run. I guess it's just not my coup of coffee. Then again, I don't drink coffee.

Dubloon7

Banned
I saw this at the theater, and immediately pre-ordered/received the 4K bluray. Watched it again a few weeks ago and loved it just as much, and yet it didn't feel like it dragged on, even though i thought that in the theater.

I forced my sig other to watch: she liked it, forced 2 family members to watch it (this type of movie is NOT their thing) and they LOVED it, but it dragged for only 1 of them.

watched it twice total and both times......HATE the blaring music at times. HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. I refuse to watch this again since my ears, and my speakers were ruined after those loud ass blaring blast songs.

UGH

Porcile

The soundtrack was just a noisy mess, except MESA, that track is superb. I wanted more of that Vangelis soft touch rather than NOISE. Sea Wall is horrible, but it kind of works I guess.

Anyway, Blade Runner 2049 was better than it had any right to be, but it wasn't perfect. Second time I saw it in the cinema I nodded off during the Jared Leto scenes lol. And the fight scene at the end was just a little too kung-fu for me with the spinning kicks and shit.

I mean, fix those two few problems and it could be top 5 sci-fi movie material.

Top Bottom