• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
They....they literally explain it in slow scrolling text format at the beginning of the movie. There are nexus 6,7 and 8. 7 and 8 don't have the 4 year life span.

Seesaw15

Well there's no way to actually know that.

I don't get why people say this shit man. I'm sorry dude, just need some questions clarified about the movie I saw last night. I don't have crazy theories to contribute.

image.php

No, all nexus models had limited lifespans in BR1. N6 just had very limited spans.

In the universe of the sequel, it's a historical fact that Tyrell Corporation survived the murder of its founder and produced androids with open lifespans at some point during the three years until the blackout of 2022. In addition, Rachael's skeleton bears a serial number indicating a Nexus 7 model. She was quite likely a prototype.

Moonkid

That's the beauty of a great film peeps, you can interpret it how you like (within reason) and it's still just as effective.
Dumb question, but why do humans call K a skinner? Reference to his job or the fact that he's a replicant?
Skinner and skinjob are discriminatory terms for replicants.

I thought the emotional core of the original was that it doesn't matter if he's human or Replicant, the line between the two is proven to be nonexistent by the end.
Right, I agree, but that depends on the very possibility that he could be a replicant. Like, you have to set forth "replicant or human??" as a question before Deckard can reject it and just enjoy whatever life he can make with Rachael.

Kallor

LOL

Anyways, loved the movie so much. Seen it in IMax yesterday with 30 or 40 other people. Mostly older folks (some were looking near their 80s lol) Most seemed to enjoy it and a few you could tell were getting restless. But fuck did I enjoy it. Gonna see it again and buy the 4k bluray day one.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If Deckard was human, how could he survive living in a nuked Las Vegas for 20 years? The fallout would have killed him.

It would have probably killed Replicants, too. K's drone warns him of radiation, which I can't imagine it would do if it wasn't something he had to worry about.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
None of this was lost on me, I promise you. I just think it's a set of boring cliches this movie didn't need. It is the movie Her, inserted into the Blade Runner universe, which already has lots and lots of interesting material about artifice and exploitation and false beliefs and what's truly human without adding AI holograms to the mix. It's an extra piece of weight thrown on top of a movie that's already overlong and creaking.

You just described a whole bunch of stuff we learned and intuited without needing Joi in the movie. Delete her, expand the role of the pleasure model to be K's on-off replicant friend with benefits, cover the same Philosophy 101 terrain ("robots? humans? sex?? love? what is ' ' ' real ' ' ' when you think about it?") in less time, reduce the character list and running time, lose nothing except Ana de Armas's smile. Joi is a redundancy.

But the movie already has a deeper, richer character we spend more time with who extensively digs into question about carrying out programming and orders versus making radical choices to love and care. His name is K.

She is a body in a fridge that no one talks about after she dies, not once, and whom only one person even thinks about. Everything her character does for the plot could be done by the Hannah lookalike. She is more or less a figment of K's imagination, a way of dramatizing some stuff he thinks about and go through. There are other, subtler, less staid ways of doing that, and "I have to avenge my slain love interest; she was the only one who understood me!" is kind of played out.

Couldn't agree more. This movie didn't need this plot. It wasn't far from being very good to me, I still enjoyed seeing it, but I always expected something along the lines of what we got, and just wanted another small story in a big world. Cop who hunts down fake humans realizes they might be as real as real humans, falls in love with one, they run away. Little simple story, almost fable-like, against an impressive believable futuristic background.

It wasn't that far from being able to tell such a story without straying far from the current plot. Replicant had child, replicant Blade Runner is tasked with killing it and any traces of it, doubts and confusion emerges about himself and his task, ends up saving the kid and the dad sacrificing himself in the process. Neat.

But it layered a lot of excesses on top, ultimately making it a plot built to support a brand rather than to stand on its own. Now Blade Runner is all about Rachel/Mary/Jesus and an evil plot to kill all humanity to spawn a new slave race for a god-complexed villain. Typical and shrinks the universe of the first movie significantly. Not unlike what happened with what Prometheus did for Alien.

I'm still fine with the movie being what it is, hopefully we get more cyber punk either way.

The entire emotional core of the original hinges on this being at least an open question.

It really doesn't. The writers of the original, nor the actors, ever thought so. Scott did retroactively.

iddqd

Just came out, really liked it but it might be in large parts thanks to the IMAX experience. That sound really blew me away Everytime it Hans Zimmered

Seesaw15

If Deckard was human, how could he survive living in a nuked Las Vegas for 20 years? The fallout would have killed him.

The same way the bee's could I guess. K's droid said the radiation levels were normal so maybe Deckard just wanted privacy and was willing to risk some cancer.

Jarmel

Banned
You just described a whole bunch of stuff we learned and intuited without needing Joi in the movie. Delete her, expand the role of the pleasure model to be K's on-off replicant friend with benefits, cover the same Philosophy 101 terrain ("robots? humans? sex?? love? what is ' ' ' real ' ' ' when you think about it?") in less time, reduce the character list and emotional redundancies, lose nothing except Ana de Armas's smile. Joi is extraneous.

The film doesn't really discuss the idea of what's real or not besides Joi. Unlike the original where the audience is unsure about how much Roy and the replicants are human, this movie pushes way past that question and starts at the baseline that there's virtually no difference between replicants and humans. K and Joi's relationship is an advancement of that idea into the realm of self deception and not caring whether something is fake as long as you're happy with it.
But the movie already has a deeper, richer character we spend more time with who extensively digs into question about carrying out programming and orders versus making radical choices to love and care. His name is K.
On a tone level Joi also gives Gosling more material to work with and prevents K from becoming too one-note. K has a different side to him when interacting with Joi and that serves as a way to breakup K being dour and serious all the time. K's character is not so much about the separation between programming and choice, the movie assumes K is making all his decisions of his own will.
She is a body in a fridge that no one talks about after she dies, not once, and whom only one person even thinks about. Everything her character does for the plot could be done by the Hannah lookalike. She is more or less a figment of K's imagination, a way of dramatizing some stuff he thinks about and go through. There are other, subtler, less staid ways of doing that, and "I have to avenge my slain love interest; she was the only one who understood me!" is kind of played out.
Does there need to be a fireside chat between multiple characters about her after she's dead? The only person that cared about her was K, which again ties that aspect of her being the one thing he could truly call his own (or that he believed he could call his own). The prostitute serves as a foil to Joi and honestly her role is infinitely more expendable and useless.

MrS

Banned
If bees can live there, it means radiation is low enough to be insignificant.
Luv's goons were all wearing breathing apparatus so the radiation levels can't have been that insignificant.

Good points have been made about the bees though.

People have been living in Chernobyl's Exclusion Zone for decades. Hiroshima and Nagasaki were rebuilt and are major cities today

Right, I agree, but that depends on the very possibility that he could be a replicant. Like, you have to set forth "replicant or human??" as a question before Deckard can reject it and just enjoy whatever life he can make with Rachael.
If he's human, then the emotional core is him realizing that human or replicant doesn't matter, character development from him earlier seeing replicants as just tools like his toaster. He doesn't need to be a replicant for that theme to work

But honestly, Villeneuve might just not be for me. I loved Prisoners but Arrival and Blade Runner 2 were some of the roughest theater visits for me lately. I might have just become too casual with age, I can't rule that out. I enjoyed trash like "Life" more than Villeneuve's science fiction contributions and also Ex Machina, which I found a way more enjoyable take on androids.

nynt9

How can K run through walls but Deckard can't?

I mean, if you didn't think you were a replicant, you wouldn't run full speed headfirst into a wall. Not something you'd want to test. And even if he were a replicant, we don't know if he'd have superhuman powers. If Wallace was right and he was built for breeding, he might not have been given strength.

JB1981

I mean, if you didn't think you were a replicant, you wouldn't run full speed headfirst into a wall. Not something you'd want to test. And even if he were a replicant, we don't know if he'd have superhuman powers. If Wallace was right and he was built for breeding, he might not have been given strength.

I don't think he would be commissioned as a blade runner if he was just designed for breeding. Such a dumb retcon if it were true. Glad it was just the inane ramblings of a madman

Jarmel

Banned

K is willing to overlook those things because he's so desperate to be real. If you look at even the earlier parts of the film there's no way he was human. He went toe to toe with a military Replicant in the first scene and later broke someone's back like it was nothing. K was lying to himself for most of the movie because he was at wit's end.

why he get old if he's a replicant ��
Why could Rachael conceive a child if she's a replicant?

If the replicant theory is true it is obvious that both her and Deckard are custom models made by Tyrell as a new Adam and Eve so to speak. Having a natural lifespan so he could take care of her and their babies makes perfect sense.

nynt9

K is willing to overlook those things because he's so desperate to be real. If you look at even the earlier parts of the film there's no way he was human. He went toe to toe with a military Replicant in the first scene and later broke someone's back like it was nothing. K was lying to himself for most of the movie because he was at wit's end.

I know, I was arguing for why Deckard never runs through a wall. He wouldn't try something like that because he thinks he's human and to try to do so would be very dumb if he is human. And he probably doesn't want to find out.

I don't think he would be commissioned as a blade runner if he was just designed for breeding. Such a dumb retcon if it were true. Glad it was just the inane ramblings of a madman

I mean, we don't know how he came to his job. But I agree, Wallace is mad. But he sounds right enough to put the doubt in Deckard's and the audience's head.

Top Bottom