• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 |OT| Do Androids Dream of Electric Boogaloo? [Unmarked Spoilers]

tumblr_ngrf6yELBF1r7sijxo1_500.gif

time to boot up Snatcher

Leunam

So no resolution? No scenes of the uprising? No scenes at all of Wallace getting his?

I get the filmmaking artsy aspect of ending on an emotional note, but it would've been cool to see the revolt beginning on other worlds.

I kinda liked that. On one hand you have the revolutionaries waiting to reveal their right to be free to the rest of the world. On the other you have Wallace seeking the next step in evolution.

But the movie resolves with a man reuniting with his family. More than an icon of revolution or evolution she is still also someone's child.

Not

Banned
I have tinnitus, can't turn my earbuds up too loud without getting a headache, and I had no problem with the volume levels.

Congrats on your theater!

The music actually didn't bother me as much. It was effective, can't deny it. Definitely don't want this to turn in to the norm though.

I liked it, thank goodness. Every scene was engrossing, either due to how gorgeous it was and/or what was happening.

K (forgot the actor's name) was great. Held my attention any time he was on screen. Joi was friggin hot. Liked Ma'am too. The action scenes were sparse but everytime it happened was great. Oh right, the fight scenes were really raw and brutal, just like the first one.

Voliko

There really should have been more scenes in the city streets. And Joe's apartment looked super lame compared to Deckard's

The only thing that annoyed me was the typical: "we've built an army", where the "army" suddenly reveals itself from behind some pillars. Did they all have a meeting beforehand? "Okay guys, when I reveal to Joe that we have an army, I want all of you to come forward to show Joe we mean business!"

Question: why was K so sure Deckard was the father? Is it because replica to are supposed to be sterile?

I'm kind of surprised by questions asking why Luv was shown to be crying. I think the film makes it apparent that the repression built into her design is the source of deep internal conflict. That scene where she talks about how invigorating it must be to be asked a personal question as it indicates desire followed by her asking K a personal question was I think, not a test of K but a subtle attempt to connect with a fellow replicant on her behalf. She very well represents the 'wrongness' of a constrained artificial life (like the toys did in the original) which serves as a nice contrast to the immediate acceptance from the audience of K being just an artificial but complete human. Most of this is present in the earlier scenes with her and it's too bad they don't do much else with it for the rest of the film where she becomes a convenient plot device.

Kermode mentioned (Spielberg's) AI in his review and I think that film still perhaps best captures the ambiguity and dilemma in establishing the free will of an artificial intelligence designed for a specific purpose with certain constraints and dispositions in place. A lot of that is present here too but I don't feel like it creates the same unease in asking us to answer that question, its conclusions are clear for the most part (but that's no different than the original which was the same).

Ah... Hence why she kissed him.

Window

There really should have been more scenes in the city streets. And Joe's apartment looked super lame compared to Deckard's

This is something I missed dearly. Also this film adopts a more brutalist style than the original. More concrete and greys, less glass, tiles and brown.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
God that soundtrack was so fucking good.

I'm going to scarf down a dozen dollar menu items from Taco Bell, tape a mic to my ass and throw some audio processing on the results.
I smell an Oscar.

Dark_castle

What does this mean? Was it too loud or something?

Some eardrum crushing sound effects, very sudden loud noises, and a scene with very long, loud continuous sound effect. A lot of really loud in general. Did I mention when it's loud, it's really loud? Yeah the movie is pretty loud when it's loud.

Snaku

Banned
I'm going to scarf down a dozen dollar menu items from Taco Bell, tape a mic to my ass and throw some audio processing on the results.

Now you take that home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato. Baby, you've got a stew going!

Compsiox

Banned
I don't usually enjoy slower movies but this was sooooooooooo well done. The set pieces, tone, acting, writing, effects, pacing. Everything was great.

Simo

Over 24 hours since I saw the movie and I can't stop thinking about it. I gotta catch it again this weekend for sure before the work week begins again. Caught Kermodes review on YouTube and was happy to see he loved the film, especially since his documentary back in 2000, when I was 18 years old and hadn't really sat down to watch BR and knew nothing of a directors cut, really piqued my interest. If I remember right channel 4 screened the director's cut for the first time following the doc and I watched it with my father, himself a big sci fi fan and had seen the original numerous times, and just fell in love with the film.

Question about 2049 though, I didn't quite hear or make out the uprising's leader connection to Sapper but how did she lose the eye? Thinking on it I figured it was removed so no Blade Runners could scan it for the serial but wouldn't that be a dead giveaway anyway? lol

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
As someone pointed out earlier, given that the tracking device that was put in his jacket earlier was meant for the resistance group, it's implied it was actually Joi's device that gave him away.

But then the question of why did Luv have to break into the LAPD pops up if she coulda just done that from the get-go.

Because the antenna of Joi's device was removed, which then switched to the scene of Luv tracking K on the monitor that showed the signal got lost.

N7.Angel

I think the relation between Joi and K is the highlight of the movie, artificial vs biological, programmed love against real one, I think it's pretty important that the movie point the difference between both of them, k gone against his nature, about his programming, he lied to his superior, killed real humans, developed new feelings and most importantly, forged his own soul when Joi was just following her programmation, called him Joe, flattering his ego, give him a body to bang and just do and say what k wanted, what a movie.

Man I can't stop thinking about this movie.
The visual and music just drowns me.
So good.
Yup, same here. I just bought the soundtrack and I'm listening to it.

The soundtrack just like the movie is orgasmic. I can't get enough of it.

I wish I could fast forward time and get this bluray already lol.

Great setting and all, but it's way too long and boring at times. Bleh
Opinions and all, but I felt it was the perfect length. If anything, I'd rather it be a bit longer than shorter.

I loved the slow pace. It gave weight to the scenes, and made the action-scenes feel important. I was never bored. In terms of pacing, dare I say it, I think 2049 was much better than the original.

Zen Aku

Fuck this. If this is the future of film audio then I'm done.

The loudest score maybe ever in a wide release movie.

Some eardrum crushing sound effects, very sudden loud noises, and a scene with very long, loud continuous sound effect. A lot of really loud in general. Did I mention when it's loud, it's really loud? Yeah the movie is pretty loud when it's loud.
Thought I was the only one. Hated the random noises that just suddenly come out of nowhere. It was deafening and I didn't even watch it in IMAX.

III-V

Saw it last night. Was fantastic and did not disappoint. Questions tho,,,

1.) who tore out the pages and how did she leave the 'orphanage'?
2.) Who is Gaff's sheep?
3.) Is Joi now connected in some way with the call girl? She mentioned that she had connected and seen inside.

RS4-

Sounds like you guys had shit screenings with the audio 🙁

The mix was top notch where I saw it. Sounded beautiful

Window

Whatever your concept of AI, it makes sense that a company would protect its own interests by preventing its products from working against it. They went as far as they could in that direction with K and his class of replicants, but they could go a lot further with an AI's behavior guidelines. An AI asking its user to modify or destroy a company device to prevent the company from tracking it seems like undesirable behavior.

Ok let's just say for the sake of the argument that Joi does have an in built check to put company interests first and foremost (even though there's nothing to suggest this) then this means she was confronted with two opposing choices of either maintaining allegiance to her maker or fulfilling her relationship to K . I assume that you're saying since she chose the latter, this implies that she has free will. That still doesn't definitively validate the authenticity of her emotions for K. Let me be clear, I think the question of whether her choice, emergent behaviour and love for K is as real as a human's or just an illusion is a very difficult question to answer one which is metaphysical in nature. It has served as the premise of countless sci-fi stories including Blade Runner and while some of them choose to provide an answer I think the more interesting stories are the ones which challenge our definitions, perceptions and notions of what makes us human. For some people I suppose Joi is as real as any other person and this is where I stand with respect to replicants. What prevents me coming to the same conclusion for Joi is that she's been designed for a very specific purpose and there were not any moments which I could look upon to say that she acted outside of this purpose. I'm not saying that she couldn't possibly be 'real', I'm just not sure. For what it's worth, I bought their relationship completely until near the end.

I just wanna drop in and say I'm a huge fan of the original movie and I've watched it countless times over the years. This surpassed my expectations, and may have become.my favourite of the two movies. Obviously you gotta respect and love the amount of work put into the original, and just how ahead of the times it was but this? I never felt the emotions and the awe I did during this movie. The script, the acting, the directing, the soundtrack... All of it were so top notch.

Apathy

Saw it last night. Was fantastic and did not disappoint. Questions tho,,,

1.) who tore out the pages and how did she leave the 'orphanage'?
2.) Who is Gaff's sheep?
3.) Is Joi now connected in some way with the call girl? She mentioned that she had connected and seen inside.

1. Not sure, someone that hid the girl. The one eye lady?

Qvoth

Just finished, high 8.5/10 from me
Movie felt just a bit too long, I actually think this would've been great as trilogy

Farside

Unconfirmed Member
The only scene that was a bit ho-hum for me was K's water rescue of Deckard. I get why it's in there, this is a cyberpunk/noir film, but I felt the rescue could have been done another way that didn't line up with typical action movie tropes.

Oh, did anyone else laugh a bit when San Diego was basically shown as the waste dump for LA?

As for the audio, a missed a few lines of dialogue as it was muffled or something.

What was up with the Deckard and K fight? K wasn’t there for Deckard so to prove it he decides to fight? What was K’s motivation here?

The K and evil Replicant lady was confusing. I couldn’t tell who was stabbing who in a couple shots. It only stood out to me because everything else had been shot so beautifully.

The baseline record scenes don’t make sense to me. I get what the questioning was intended to do but Ks responses to the statements didn’t make sense.

The only scene that was a bit ho-hum for me was K's water rescue of Deckard. I get why it's in there, this is a cyberpunk/noir film, but I felt the rescue could have been done another way that didn't line up with typical action movie tropes.

Oh, did anyone else laugh a bit when San Diego was basically shown as the waste dump for LA?

As for the audio, a missed a few lines of dialogue as it was muffled or something.

I thought the same for Joes showdown with the villain. But water could represent a baptism or a rebirth for Joe, washing away his sins committed while he was K. Water, in particular the ocean, often represent memory.

RS4-

What was up with the Deckard and K fight? K wasn’t there for Deckard so to prove it he decides to fight? What was K’s motivation here?

The K and evil Replicant lady was confusing. I couldn’t tell who was stabbing who in a couple shots. It only stood out to me because everything else had been shot so beautifully.

The baseline record scenes don’t make sense to me. I get what the questioning was intended to do but Ks responses to the statements didn’t make sense.

I think it's him answering without any hesitation, to repeat the key word regardless of the question asked. To obey I guess?

Window

What was up with the Deckard and K fight? K wasn't there for Deckard so to prove it he decides to fight? What was K's motivation here?

The K and evil Replicant lady was confusing. I couldn't tell who was stabbing who in a couple shots. It only stood out to me because everything else had been shot so beautifully.

The baseline record scenes don't make sense to me. I get what the questioning was intended to do but Ks responses to the statements didn't make sense.

I don't think K provoked Deckard even once. He just had to resort to a few punches/shoves at the end disarm him.

I think the baseline test records the subjects response time in repeating the 'random' words which are mixed in between the emotionally provocative questions to measure the subject's focus and emotional state of mind when hearing them.

III-V

I thought the same for Joes showdown with the villain. But water could represent a baptism or a rebirth for Joe, washing away his sins committed while he was K. Water, in particular the ocean, often represent memory.

Yes, the water was Deckard's rebirth.

Also: Deckard thought K was there to retire him, hence why Deckard started attacking him. K did not instigate the fight.

Window

Yes, the water was Deckard's rebirth.

Also: Deckard thought K was there to retire him, hence why Deckard started attacking him. K did not instigate the fight.

I know it's cliche to link any water related imagery to baptism but that's how I took Luv's death scene.

JB1981

the nexus 8 models have normal life spans + deckard might or might not be a replicant. But him being hunted and worried about being hunted suggests he might be. or not.

in the scheme of things, it does not matter.

Why would Deckard not be hunted? He was a rogue BR aiding and abetting a prized Replicat

Top Bottom