• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

jett

D-Member
Why are people shitting on Ford? He was great, and didn't phone it in, in The Force Awakens, why is it such a shock that he'd also be great here?

thedude.gif

Harrison Ford has been awful for a very long time and TFA did nothing to change that opinion for me.

Maybe he'll actually not be terrible here. Or maybe his character dies soon into the movie. That would be the preferable option.

Is this movie able to be watched / enjoyed on its own without watching the original? My wife has never seen the first but is interested in seeing this with me

fade_

giphy.webp

ZeroX03

Banned
Oh cool. The trailers made it seem like more of a traditional action movie than I would've expected, but the impressions and reviews certainly quelled those fears. Excited.

Oh cool. The trailers made it seem like more of a traditional action movie than I would've expected, but the impressions and reviews certainly quelled those fears. Excited.

Saw a critic on Twitter (Matt Singer) sum it up as: "Blade Runner is a sci-fi movie that looks like a detective story, 2049 is a detective story that looks like a sci-fi movie."

Exciting.

jett

D-Member
Is this movie able to be watched / enjoyed on its own without watching the original? My wife has never seen the first but is interested in seeing this with me

You have time to watch the original with her before seeing this one. Based on the trailers it seems it's heavily connected to the original movie, not like that movie really has much of a plot, it's more of an audiovisual experience (for me), but it's better to having seen it I guess.

https://www.villagevoice.com/2017/0...but-does-it-have-that-old-blade-runner-magic/

Careful, dutiful, and beautiful, Blade Runner 2049 cannot achieve the sublime slipperiness of Scott's masterpiece. Whether it even needs to is up to you.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/blade-runner-2049-review-1044127

A voluptuous mood bath that's impressively sustained from beginning to end.

Its almost like those trailers are designed to get general audiences into the theater.

People who have seen it said you can jump right into it.

Ok awesome

You have time to watch the original with her before seeing this one. Based on the trailers it seems it's heavily connected to the original movie, not like that movie really has much of a plot, it's more of an audiovisual experience (for me), but it's better to having seen it I guess.

She hates any and all "old" movies. It's just her thing unless it's come out in the last decade or so she isn't watching it

Steez

They fucking with us, right? This is just an elaborate practical joke on the entire Blade Runner fandom. Right?

fuenf

Any word on what the score's like?

Most reviews describe it as a fitting part of the overall artistic vision.

The sfx review talks about it in more detail:
sfx said:
As for the all-important music, Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer’s oppressive, percussive, synth-heavy score is unflinchingly loyal to the spirit of Vangelis, and makes admirable use of pin-drop silence. But, it has to be said, it never comes close to the transcendental heights of the original; atonal rather than thematic, supporting rather than elevating the material.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Saw a critic on Twitter (Matt Singer) sum it up as: "Blade Runner is a sci-fi movie that looks like a detective story, 2049 is a detective story that looks like a sci-fi movie."

Exciting.
Now this is very cool. I always thought the detective aspect of the original is kind of whatever, so it’s great to hear they’ve embraced that angle more.

Yeah trust me, annoys the hell out of me too.

Finally got her to sit down and watch the OG Star Wars Trilogy after she liked The Force Awakens and she didn't like that at all. Actually fell asleep during Return of the Jedi

Just tell her Blade Runner came out in 2007, and Harrison Ford was De-aged with CG, like Kurt Russel in Guardians of the Galaxy.

jett

D-Member
Ok awesome

She hates any and all "old" movies. It's just her thing unless it's come out in the last decade or so she isn't watching it

I'll never understand this mentality.

Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer’s oppressive, percussive

is unflinchingly loyal to the spirit of Vangelis

Yeah ok .

Addi

Yeah, I'm just skimming the reviews, trying not to read too much. Here's what the Hollywood reporter says about the music.

There was controversy and displeasure in fan quarters when news leaked that the original score by Villeneuve's regular composer, the unorthodox and deeply inventive Johan Johannson, was being replaced by music from the more conventional team of Benjamin Wallfisch and Hans Zimmer. In the event, the pair's work here is in a more impressionistic, experimental, wall-of-sound mode than is customary from the Zimmer factory and, in the event, is extremely effective and mood-enhancing.

Seems decent at least

Ok awesome

... Not trying to be condescending, but how old are you two? Seems weird to be of wedlock age and only like the last decades movies. Surely she likes stuff from her childhood.

Mr. Hyde

Okay I should buy my ticket and go see it by myself and then take my wife to see it when I find someone to babysit my daughter. I'm too impatient to miss out on a Thursday night showing.

Yeah ok .

I don't know if you knew this, but Vangelis intended to have a three full competitive-level drum lines accompany his synth score.

It was only when Ridley Scott said, "Maybe Deckard should be a unicorn, and unicorns don't play drums" that everything changed.

Top Bottom