• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Review Thread

jett

D-Member
Who's going to watch Blade Runner 1982 final cut before watching this movie?

I think I may watch the theatrical cut, which I have never really bothered with.

I don't know if you knew this, but Vangelis intended to have a three full competitive-level drum lines accompany his synth score.

It was only when Ridley Scott said, "Maybe Deckard should be a unicorn, and unicorns don't play drums" that everything changed.

edit: I assume you're kidding. :p

Esiquio

Great news for the IP. I'm glad.

Are studios going to make more cyberpunk films after this? Please do.

God, I sure hope so. To the other poster above: I'm 100% going to see this movie by myself. There's no way I want to see this movie with anyone I know, and have to explain anything to them or hear their shitty opinions.

I can't believe the reviews are good, but after watching Sicario and Arrival, Denis gave me hope...must....temper...expectations.

I was cautiously optimistic about this up until now. I'm not surprised that it's good, because Denis Villeneuve, but I am certainly relieved.

number11

. @jowrotethis
Calling BLADE RUNNER 2049 better than the original is some truly hilarious Grade A trolling.

I’m sure this will be a great movie, but i’m not gonna let myself get over hyped from some of these reactions.

jett

D-Member
. @jowrotethis
Calling BLADE RUNNER 2049 better than the original is some truly hilarious Grade A trolling.

I’m sure this will be a great movie, but i’m not gonna let myself get over hyped from some of these reactions.

Some of these people sound like they're trying to top themselves in how much hyperbole they can throw at it.

This is why it's better to keep expectations tempered, especially regarding a sequel to something like Blade Runner, no matter who is involved.

. @jowrotethis

I think it depends on what you think of the original. I happen to think that it's not quite as perfect as some make it out to be, especially here at NeoGAF, though its status as a classic in film history is absolutely warranted.

Spuck-uk

Banned
I think it depends on what you think of the original. I happen to think that it's not quite as perfect as some make it out to be, especially here at NeoGAF, though its status as a classic in film history is absolutely warranted.
I agree plus this movie is barely coming out. Marinate on it a bit before saying it's better.

Tigel

Cross-posted from the other thread:

Don't know if this has been posted yet: 13 mins interview with Villeneuve. It's in french though.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1058520/denis-villeneuve-sortie-film-suite-blade-runner-2019

I'll translate a quote:

Denis Villeneuve said:
It's a bit arrogant to say that and it's up to the others to judge, but personally, I managed to do things in this movie that I had never managed to do before. I think it's my best film.

I'm particularly proud because Villeneuve is a fellow Quebecquers and Canadian

Hype is through the roof.

Some of these people sound like they're trying to top themselves in how much hyperbole they can throw at it.

This is why it's better to keep expectations tempered, especially regarding a sequel to something like Blade Runner, no matter who is involved.
It has less to do with quality and more to do with the individual’s opinion of the original. Blade Runner is a classic, but it’s not universally loved like a Jaws or Alien

I also think that, thinking film can never match or top the classics of the past is a pretty depressing view of the medium.

081.gif

All in

What did everyone expect??

Denis himself said in an interview.

"When I heard of BR sequel, I called myself the studio and ensure I was going to direct it. Because anyone else will f#ck it up"
I was in peace with that quote.

It has less to do with quality and more to do with the individual’s opinion of the original. Blade Runner is a classic, but it’s not universally loved like a Jaws or Alien

I also think that, thinking film can never top the classics of the past is a pretty depressing view of the medium.

Ding ding ding!!! (sorry if that was a bit obnoxious btw)

Seriously, film is a medium that's still essentially in its infancy. Is it really such a great idea to say that films like Citizen Kane or the original Blade Runner can't possibly be topped by modern filmmakers or those yet to come?

HoJu

A lot of people don't like the original that much though.

Steez

I can't believe anyone doubted this.

You can't believe people doubted a sequel to a 30 year old movie? A sequel that spent a fair amount of time in development hell. A sequel made in present time Hollywood.

Villneuve might be the best working director right now and Gosling is my dude, but nah, the reception is nothing but surprising.

What's the best version of the original to watch? Final Cut? I saw the original way back when in the late 80s, but I was like, 9. I'm also a terrible person for not having watched it again and I know this. I want to fix this.

What did everyone expect??

Denis himself said in an interview.

"When I heard of BR sequel, I called myself the studio and ensure I was going to direct it. Because anyone else will f#ck it up"
I was in peace with that quote.
He really said that? Shiettttttt

GOAT director, even surpassed nolan imo.

i'm still doubting it

Honestly, the prerelease material I've seen wasn't great. That really consists of the first two trailers and some TV spots. I was always hopeful based on the talent involved, but I think many will agree it hasn't been marketed particularly well.

JB1981

. @jowrotethis

This may come as a surprise but the first movie is not universally beloved

Top Bottom