• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blade Runner 2049 Trailer 2

jelly

Maybe watch the film and be surprised. Sure, it's showing lots but nothing much to chew on which makes a nice change for trailers.

I really dislike Leto and not sure of Gosling in this. I think my main problem is it's like an internet fan chosen cast.

Z3M0G

I suspect there will be serious problems for this movie's box office (though most likely feel the same already).

I don't think many people will go into this blind. This trailer implies HEAVILY that being familiar with the events of the first film are necessary, and people may stay away if they haven't seen it. Very few people would make an effort to see the first film before this one, and if they do, even less will sit through the entire thing. I was thinking about my girlfriend, my friends, etc, and NONE of them would watch the first movie. On top of that, I expect NONE of them have any interest in seeing this one what-so-ever. This movie is 100% fan service... I fear there is almost no audience for it at all.

I very badly want to see it, but I realized that I will most likely see it alone. I have a co-worker buddy who will go but that's about it.

Guy.brush

So am I to assume that
Deckard and Rachel as a couple fled and WE WERE HUNTED. While on the run from unnamed authorityX they made a little love child. That child is Ryan Gosling's character, a hybrid between human and replicant?
"I have the lock you have the key"
The Joker's henchgirl is trying to find Gosling's character cause he possesses the magic sauce that they were missing all these years to create the future of mankind.

Is this basically what it is about?
That would cement Deckard as a human though? Or do they want to leave it ambiguous for ambiguity's sake and leave the option open for 2 replicants to have a child not dying immediately being the "miracle sauce" they are after?
Hope they have a good explanation why Gosling really is the "special sauce" and why the Tyrell corporation in all these years of building Nexus 1-8 models never was able to have them procreate. It feels striking that balance between philosophical mumbo jumbo and hard sci-fi reality of how replicants really work will be hard.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally getting an idea of what the plot is about. Although I'm not sure how Deckard or Rachel hold the key to mass producing Replicants...that seems to be Jared Leto's whole motivation in the movie.

The he referred to is most likely not Deckard but Gosling's character.

Nepenthe

As someone who hated the first one (and even the book), this continues to intrigue me more than I thought it would. I've always appreciated Blade Runner's aesthetics but not necessarily the storytelling style therein. With Villenueve at the helm, however, I feel that hang up will be solved. Cautiously optimistic.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Did all the good cinematographers die?

I think they probably did.

Also I didn't know Jared Leto was in this.

I can't wait to see him trying hard to do acting.
Might wanna put that magnifying glass up to eye level.

Movie looks incredible. Day 1.

Z3M0G

Hey, does anyone else remember reading this and if they considered it good?

81Qq9lEB60L.jpg

It's been too long for me, and it took me quite a while to finish it so it didn't really stick for that reason as well. Was it a worthy follow up to the film?

Edit: audio trailer?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vONAtIsno

Damn, I haven't been feeling any of these trailers... I love Denis as a a director, but I'm not sure if I'm sold on his vision for Blade Runner. However this will be something that's hard to grasp until actually watching the movie, so I'll hold my judgement until I do. I just wish these trailers were more in line with the tone of the original. Feels like they're trying to pander to the modern action movie/blockbuster crowd, which is what makes me worried for the final production.

jett

D-Member
It stands to reason that Deckard is a fairly unique replicant, one that can grow old. His genetic code itself may be the key. Then again, Denis did say the film would not go into whether or not he was a replicant...

I don't think Deckard is that unique at all, he simply wasn't created with an age limit, if he's a replicant at all. I *think* all replicants are capable of growing old, since they're organic, they just aren't allowed to. It would be odd if the creators themselves don't know how to make a Replicant that can last more than four years. Ah man who knows.

The he referred to is most likely not Deckard but Gosling's character.

I mean I guess Gosling could turn out to be Deckard Jr. :p

Honestly I'm not sure I like the story being presented in these trailers. Seems drenched in mysteries/twists and in some grand plan to save humanity somehow. Very different from the original movie, which compared to this was very simple and straightforward.

Bronx-Man

Banned
The sights, the sounds oh my god. Looks a little too fast-paced & action-y compared to how subdued and meditated the original was, but I think I'll still enjoy it.

It looks like a TV programme as most films tend to these days.
But does it have steaks or no steaks?

Dizzy-4U

What is this intro? I would like to read more about it.
It's in the "Dangerous Days" docummentary.
The cabin scene with Batista. It's a bit different in the trailer than in the original storyboard but I'd assume the outcome will be the same.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I seriously hope Deckard is not a replicant, it's one of the more stupid ideas Ridley conjured up after the fact. The notion completely nullifies the character's arc and place in the first film.

This trailer looked so fucking sick.

What is this intro? I would like to read more about it.

It's in the "Dangerous Days" docummentary.
The cabin scene with Batista. It's a bit different in the trailer than in the original storyboard but I'd assume the outcome will be the same.

Animated storyboard of that original introduction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37pQKgwsF94

jett

D-Member
Hey, does anyone else remember reading this and if they considered it good?

It's been too long for me, and it took me quite a while to finish it so it didn't really stick for that reason as well. Was it a worthy follow up to the film?

Edit: audio trailer?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4vONAtIsno

aw shit there's a Blade Runner 3 too (and a 4)

Living on Mars, Deckard is acting as a consultant to a movie crew filming the story of his Blade Runner days.

lol

7Th

An epic, large-scale, action-packed movie about the future of mankind; exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Blade Runner.

I seriously hope Deckard is not a replicant, it's one of the more stupid ideas Ridley conjured up after the fact. The notion completely nullifies the character's arc and place in the first film.

Yeah the more you think about the stupider it sounds. I used to love the idea of Deckard being a replicant because I thought it was a cool twist that was revealed in a very creative way, but now after rewatching the film and paying closer attention to his arc, it literally makes no sense to include and undermines the whole point of his character.

jett

D-Member
An epic, large-scale, action-packed movie about the future of mankind; exactly the first thing that comes to mind when I think about Blade Runner.

I think I've given up on this movie resembling Blade Runner in any way. Unless these trailers are being highly deceptive. Doesn't mean it's gonna be bad though.

You'd have to be stupid to think they would market this movie as what you want rather than what will fill seats. Studio took a huge risk on this.

I don't know how to feel when watching that trailer.

I love the Blade Runner world. Read the book, played the game, watched the original and directors cut of the movie.

I feel like the new movie looks great and has some of the original atmosphere magic but is coming off as generic action movie shooter-aspode 9000. Would it kill hollywood to make a slower, more thoughtful action film? Maybe I'm wrong.

In the alternate history/universe where sentient androids existed by 2019, Pan Am never went bankrupt and Atari is probably at least as relevant as Sony/Nintendo/Microsoft in 2049.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You'd have to be stupid to think they would market this movie as what you want rather than what will fill seats. Studio took a huge risk on this.

This ^, marketing.

Plus, it's just Leto's character waxing on about his personal beliefs for all we know, he's clearly overworked at Tyrell Corp.

I don't think Blader Runner as an action movie can work. The original one had occasional, brief confrontations (save for the final one which is the longest). The trailer is trying to sell this sequel as more action oriented, but I hope it's just a marketing thing and the actual movie will have a slower pace.

With that said, I must say that, in my very uninformed opinion, the trailer looks good only at times, specifically when it mimics the original movie atmosphere with the foggy streets and the neon lights. But when it tries to achieve its own look it falls back to the modern trend of flat, almost monochrome cinematography, which I hate vehemently.

To me these pictures look very sterile, a byproduct of the "minimalist" trend that has informed almost everything, from GUI to TV adverts.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
People in here acting like Jared Leto can't act because of his misstep as Joker.

Fuckin pls

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

All that is correct and I don't even need to work on the film to know this. It's the simplest form of marketing that gets used over and over and over again.

Wollan

Absolutely amazing looking. Trailer maybe a bit too upbeat.

And it's pretty clear what the the general story gist is.

Top Bottom