• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

The Hermit

Guys this is a fucking megaton!! @_@

I am surprised by the lack of excitement over this announcement... hell, the original BM on VC had more praise...

Baiano19 said:

I am surprised by the lack of excitement over this announcement... hell, the original BM on VC had more praise...

Blame it on you becoming old people.

There's a generation of gamers out there now ruining the industry (and GAF) that have no frame of reference as to why Blaster Master was so god damn awesome. :D

The only reason Cave Story is taking so long, is that every time they submit it to Nintendo for approval, they keep failing the certification standards that all games have to abide by. Usually these things are incredibly simple, especially for WiiWare, but since this dev basically has no experience at all, they keep...um, forgetting to fix shit.

Baiano19 said:

Well, the game was announced for release, like, two hours ago. It has to spread.

I just hope this game doesn't have the whole "3 continues, 3 lives each, AND THAT'S IT" mentality the original had, but I'll live regardless.

WOO

Enk

makes good threads.
Baiano19 said:

Well it was just announced... out of nowhere... and it's coming out in 2 days!

I think a lot of us old farts, including myself, are still in shock and disbelief.

rhfb said:
Depending on how long the game is and the difficulty level this could be my first WiiWare purchase :eek:

Brand new Contras and Castlevanias are out for it you know, they're not terribly long, but they're terribly good.

Although, I've felt they would look better with 3D visuals and camera zooms and pans during big moves/cutscenes.

TheUnknownForce said:
Well, the game was announced for release, like, two hours ago. It has to spread.

I just hope this game doesn't have the whole "3 continues, 3 lives each, AND THAT'S IT" mentality the original had, but I'll live regardless.

WOO
3 continues only? Did not know!

I have the WiiWare game and am at the start of my last continue. :(

Mayor Haggar said:
The only reason Cave Story is taking so long, is that every time they submit it to Nintendo for approval, they keep failing the certification standards that all games have to abide by. Usually these things are incredibly simple, especially for WiiWare, but since this dev basically has no experience at all, they keep...um, forgetting to fix shit.

I just don't understand how Nicalis can be this incompetent. There are plenty of other WiiWare/DSiWare developers with little to no experience working on consoles, and none of them that I know of have had this kind of difficulty getting past Nintendo's incredibly basic certification standards.

cacildo

Mayor Haggar said:
Joke post! Very Nice! Ha haa haa haaa!!

Great joke post.

Awesome.

No, really, i mean it.

Im not into this "retro revival"stuff

If i want old games ill play old games. Dont see that much of a point in remaking old 2d games into prettier 2d games (and New Super Mario Bros proved me im alone on this one)

(also i dont care a rat´s ass about Sonic 4...)

But Ghost Slayer at least is.... a remake of Wii Sports Resort swordifighting, now with ghosts and crappy graphics.

Well, i loved WSR swordfighting.

cacildo said:
No, really, i mean it.

If i want old games ill play old games. Dont see that much of a point in remaking old 2d games into prettier 2d games (and New Super Mario Bros proved me im alone on this one)

But Ghost Slayer at least is.... a remake of Wii Sports Resort swordifighting, now with ghosts and crappy graphics.

Well, i loved WSR swordfighting.

fair enough.

Inkwell

Banned
Wow. Did not see this coming at all. I always loved the original but have never actually finished it, and never knew how to strafe in it when I was younger. It looks decent from those screenshots, but I would like to see some higher quality ones.

Baiano19 said:

I think a number of people simply haven't noticed the date yet.

forrest

formerly nacire
Loved the original, let's hope this one delivers! I tried the sequel many years ago, but didn't like it so much.

Why would you do that? said:
3 continues only? Did not know!

I have the WiiWare game and am at the start of my last continue. :(

I found out the hard way against the Ice Boss (farthest I ever got without savestates). I heard the game over thing appear, but there was no continue or quit...it just brought me to the title screen :<

Eric C

This is being released Monday!? But I was saving my points card for Shantae. Now I'm going to have to buy another one. Why can't Wiiware and DSiware share points?

Big One

Banned
Struct09 said:
I would just like to say thank you to Capcom for starting this retro revolution.
I think you should credit that for Taito for Space Invaders Extreme and all of the arcade compilations we got last gen.

vireland

Father_Brain said:
Depends on how you define "indie," but there have been plenty of WiiWare and DSiWare titles that weren't announced until the official PR from Nintendo on the day of their release.

There's been some internal debate about this. I'm in the "announce a couple weeks in advance" camp, but Japan side is in the "surprise, look what's up today!" camp. Trying to hit a happy medium. Yeah these are relatively inexpensive purchases, but I think the advance notice helps people plan their gaming budget a little.

Struct09

Big One said:
I think you should credit that for Taito for Space Invaders Extreme and all of the arcade compilations we got last gen.

OK. I will extend the thanks to companies like Taito and Namco (Pac-Man CE).

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
cacildo said:
No, really, i mean it.

Remaking is not the same thing as making an entirely new game that uses classic mechanics.

In many cases, the transition to 3D ruined franchises, or in the best cases, made something good, but divorced from what people consider their most iconic format. Given 3D's manhandling of Sonic and Castlevania, for example, I say hell yeah, go back to 2D with those. Mario's had good 3D games, but they're a different animal altogether from old Marios. To me, he's at his best running through a gauntlet of unique point A to point B worlds, not being forced to comb the same handful of levels multiple times to play hide and seek for some doodad hidden amongst a bunch of geometry.

ReyVGM

Vic will play nice and let Jason have a few seconds of invincibility every time he gets hit, right?
Plus he won't be mean and let the GUN deplete every time Jason gets hit either, right?
The frog boss will come back, RIGHT?

And the most important thing... the music. My god, that could make or break the game for me.

Ranger X

Wow!! This looks awesome seriously. And that wasn't my fav NES game (far from that). But it's very interesting to play a new one there.

wondermega

Man, we live in some strange times indeed. 4 or 5 years ago if you told me we would have new old castlevania, ninja gaiden, blaster master, and contra I'd say you were f'ing s'ing me.

On that note, can't wait to get my mitts on this!

Apenheul

I never got the chance to play Blaster Master on the NES but I'll get it this one once it comes out in Europe. Thanks vireland for the push you're giving VC, and for this. I hope it pays off for you.

Enk

makes good threads.
wondermega said:
Man, we live in some strange times indeed. 4 or 5 years ago if you told me we would have new old castlevania, ninja gaiden, blaster master, and contra I'd say you were f'ing s'ing me.

On that note, can't wait to get my mitts on this!

Wait wuh? Did I miss an announcement somewhere?

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Heh, when Vic was teasing surprises for VC Blaster Master I actually guessed there would be a link to unlock something in a WiiWare sequel. So, I was half right.

vireland

Mafro said:
Why are the PR images so damn small?

There'll be bigger ones next week. We had to grab some off the promo video to make work on the site which is set up for 256x??? or 320x???, so that's the size (320x190) that went up. If you hover on the pics they get larger, but still it's only 320x190.

vireland

Jonnyboy117 said:
Vic, will there be hover, and if so, will the controls be more resistant to accidentally wasting it?

I was going to refer you to the video until I realized it isn't up yet...

Yes, there is hover. The gauge is more forgiving and you can add to the energy storage by finding powerups, so it's not quite as catastrophic if you accidentally use it on a jump like it was in the original Blaster Master.

Chris R

Mayor Haggar said:
Brand new Contras and Castlevanias are out for it you know, they're not terribly long, but they're terribly good.

Although, I've felt they would look better with 3D visuals and camera zooms and pans during big moves/cutscenes.
Never liked Contra and I prefer the GBA/NDS Castlevanias. There just hasn't been a game on the service yet that I MUST own, but like I said, if this is plenty long and hard enough I'll pick it up.

Somebody please bring the Jizz GIF out NAO!!!!

This will be the first time in a minute where I'll be stalking the Shop Channel for the update.

FUCKIN MEGATON!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom