• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blaster Master: Overdrive (WiiWare - Feb 8th/1000pts)

Anyone else just a little put of by the art direction? ...I dunno, comes off as a bit cheap and flashgamey

Still hyped though!

the original is one of the best nes games, and best videogames ever, period. the soundtrack is utterly amazing, and the level and overall hub design was ahead of the time.

tough, continue based gameplay and unique car based combat and hello kitty soldier sections complete with badass bosses and a strong desire to rescue your pet frog.

a ridiculous story, great graphics and sound, tough but fair, truly what the nes stood for.

has anyone played the new one?! i have to play this!

Man God

Non-Canon Member
quinntendopower said:
the original is one of the best nes games, and best videogames ever, period. the soundtrack is utterly amazing, and the level and overall hub design was ahead of the time.

tough, continue based gameplay and unique car based combat and hello kitty soldier sections complete with badass bosses and a strong desire to rescue your pet frog.

a ridiculous story, great graphics and sound, tough but fair, truly what the nes stood for.

Five more minutes, guv.

Ok, of all the things to find here, fanboy wars = expected. An Abuse reset = completely unexpected. That game fucking rocked and a remake would be boss.

Definitely getting this later today, though. Fascinated by this rash of NES touch-ups.

So can anyone confirm or deny if this supports the classic controller? I'm buying the game regardless, but the wiimote's small d-pad hurts my thumb after long gaming sessions.

I can still feel the pain of playing Punch Out for hours on end last summer...

MoxManiac

couple quick thoughts from 3 minutes of play (lunchbreak ended)

-game is 4:3. I don't mind, but at the same time I don't see why they don't do these remake/rebirth games in widescreen. I don't think 16:9 would damage the nostalga factor.

-graphics are blurry like it has a filter (i'm on a HDTV) Not sure if this is just how the graphics are, or if it's like the rebirth games where you can force 4:3 in the settings menu and get a crisp pixel look.

-music sounds fine, same music as the original, just updated obviously.

-plays just like the original, don't remember enough about the NES game to tell how close the level design is.

vireland

Reluctant-Hero said:
So can anyone confirm or deny if this supports the classic controller? I'm buying the game regardless, but the wiimote's small d-pad hurts my thumb after long gaming sessions.

I can still feel the pain of playing Punch Out for hours on end last summer...

Wiimote only. No Classic Controller support, unfortunately.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
vireland said:
Wiimote only. No Classic Controller support, unfortunately.

Minor complaint, Wiimote tilted is still about a thousand times more comfortable than NES controller.

Beat act one already. Nicely done.

Only thing that bugs me so far is that when prompted to save it has no before yes. Very annoying!

Great job! Will recommend to all my friends though.

Marvie_3

Banned
quinntendopower said:

Fucking this. Blaster Master's soundtrack is godly.

I wish Alex retained his big head look of the original in the overhead sections. As a kid, I thought it was a bomberman game.

So far, the game's pretty nice. I'm enjoying it so far. Just beat the first boss.

I only played the first Blaster Master a few times last month, up to somewhere after getting the hover, so I don't have any nostalgic feelings towards the original.

Some things I don't like anout Overdrive:
Whose bright idea was it to make the "accept" button 1 and the "cancel" button 2?
The strafe speed is disappointingly slow.
A little disappointed with the music so far, but not too much.
S.O.P.H.I.A.'s power meter. I would like to be able to shoot without having to stand still at regular intervals to refill the power meter.
The intro felt kind of lifeless without any sound effects.

Things I do like:
The Max HP up system.
The multiple weapons for the overhead view (Alex).
The graphics are pretty nice.
The
grapple beam
The map.

JaseMath

Here are some BM:O impressions. :D

Good:
• Looks great
• Musically awesome. All music is remixed from the original game.
• Controls are pretty tight as well.
• Health packs (for armor and car) and EN packs are hidden throughout the levels and door areas, making rooms you'd never normally visit a necessity if you want to collect everything and max out your stats. I don't know about you guys, but in the NES game, I would max out my weapons and skip all the doors until I got the boss door area.
• Really digging the ability to swap out weapons on the top-down portions, and I like that all three weapon variations are upgradable. And yes, if you get hit, your weapon strength (whichever is selected) gets docked a power level, just like the original.
• Prefer the EN meter to the old HOV power-ups of the original. Now, you don't have to go shopping around for power to hover (yes!).
• A lot more Metroidvania-y than the original.

Bad:
• If you're used to the first game, you'll notice immediately that the controls aren't as loose as the original. They're a bit slow for my liking, but whatever - you adapt pretty easily.
• In the top-down bits, you can hold the B trigger to strafe (which makes you move at half the speed), but I found myself accidentally hitting/holding it a few times which got me injured, which took down my gun power (bah!).
• Game runs in 4:3, NOT 16:9.

So far, it's every bit as good as Bionic Commando: Rearmed (from a remake perspective). If you're a fan of the original, you cannot go wrong getting this. Buy it. Seriously.

No, seriously.

JSnake

Not only is the game 4:3, it's also 480i from what I can tell (not to mention my TV says it's outputting in 480i).

JSnake said:
Not only is the game 4:3, it's also 480i from what I can tell (not to mention my TV says it's outputting in 480i).
Yes this is VERY disappointing. Especially since I currently use a VGA adapter on my tv that does not convert 480i signals and I can't find a decent homebrew method to even force 480p for Wiiware games. I thought by 2010 we would be past this, but apparently not.

JasonMCG said:
Good:
• Really digging the ability to swap out weapons on the top-down portions, and I like that all three weapon variations are upgradable. And yes, if you get hit, your weapon strength (whichever is selected) gets docked a power level, just like the original.
• A lot more Metroidvania-y than the original.

Bad:
• If you're used to the first game, you'll notice immediately that the controls aren't as loose as the original. They're a bit slow for my liking, but whatever - you adapt pretty easily.
Forgot to mention those. The fact that it is more Metroid-like is something that confused me at first, because I was used to the more linear nature of the first game, but yeah.

Also, I really like your bullet points. :D

JaseMath

Why would you do that? said:
Forgot to mention those. The fact that it is more Metroid-like is something that confused me at first, because I was used to the more linear nature of the first game, but yeah.

I hope you don't think I was trying to steal your thunder. :p You probably posted your impressions while I was writing mine. High five!

AdroitOne

Neo Member
Why would you do that? said:

Oh wait, so there are no levels? You walk walk/drive to new areas like Metroid games? If so, that's awesome!

JasonMCG said:
I hope you don't think I was trying to steal your thunder. :p You probably posted your impressions while I was writing mine. High five!
What? Not at all! I didn't think I had any thunder. :lol More impressions are a good thing, anyway.

AdroitOne said:
Oh wait, so there are no levels? You walk walk/drive to new areas like Metroid games? If so, that's awesome!
No, there are still different areas, but, unline the first game, where each area is really linear, it's more like Metroid or modern Castlevania... It just isn't as linear feeling, really...

Marvie_3

Banned
Liking it so far. As someone mentioned, the controls are a bit more sluggish than the original. The soundtrack is decent, but could be improved. Game is fun as hell though. :D

jman2050

AdroitOne said:

It was already kinda sorta like this in the original games. Though the progression was linear, there were definite connection points between levels you had to travel to and backtracking through already completed areas was required.

Chris R

Any clue on how hard / long the game is? Just that map is almost enough for me to insta buy, but I need to know if it is too easy or short before I drop 10$ on it

JaseMath

rhfb said:
Any clue on how hard / long the game is? Just that map is almost enough for me to insta buy, but I need to know if it is too easy or short before I drop 10$ on it
I just beat the Area 2 boss and I probably put in maybe an hour and a half so far. To beat it and find everything, it's probably going to take around 8-10 hrs.

AdroitOne

Neo Member
jman2050 said:
It was already kinda sorta like this in the original games. Though the progression was linear, there were definite connection points between levels you had to travel to and backtracking through already completed areas was required.

Hmmm, maybe I would have known that if I didn't suck at the game :D.

Easy_D said:
Never played the original but hot damn that looks nice. Looks like a classic 16bit game.

Yeah. I have been convinced by the hype in this thread, and I'm about as stubborn as a mule.

I <3 VC/WiiWare. Two years ago, I remember people complaining about a drought in Wii games. I swore that VC/WiiWare was designed to supplement such things.

JSnake

I'm really liking the game but I hate the graphics. Not only are they super blurry thanks to the lack of 480p but the sprites and effects just look like the kinds of things you'd see in a "my first GameMaker game" tutorial. I don't know. It's kind of hard to explain but the way bullets spawn and enemies just abruptly explode when you kill them, it all looks very GameMaker-ish.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I am digging the 16-bit style visual upgrade and think the sprite art and animation is top-notch. The remixed tunes are 100% perfect. I love that it is more Metroidy.

My only complaint is that since they were already updating some of the conventions a bit, they could have stood to make the top-down sequences a bit more refined. Holding the fire button to strafe would have been nice and giving the bosses a few new attacks (from the first few I've seen so far) wouldn't have hurt.

But that's no different from my complain that Mega Man 9 could have stood to include real time weapon switching. It's not a big deal.

This is still an awesome way to let people play a refreshed Blaster Master though.

Ranger X

AgentOtaku said:
Anyone else just a little put of by the art direction? ...I dunno, comes off as a bit cheap and flashgamey

Still hyped though!

Actually feels extremely SNES-ish to me. Wich is a damn good thing.

Well this thread convinced me, i'll grab it when i get home tonight. So good to hear the music is true to the original.

Also, does Nintendo ever do weekly VC/Wiiware specials or sales like XBL/PSN do sometimes? I can't remember ever hearing of one...

CO_Andy

This game could of seriously benefited from GC/Classic Controller support: holding down the B button to strafe ain't easy.

Having a blast overall.

JSnake

CO_Andy said:
This game could of seriously benefited from GC/Classic Controller support: holding down the B button to strafe ain't easy.

Having a blast overall.

Yeah holding the B button hurts my fingers.

JaseMath

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Also, does Nintendo ever do weekly VC/Wiiware specials or sales like XBL/PSN do sometimes? I can't remember ever hearing of one...
I think World of Goo was offered for 1000 points once.
Once.

Enk

makes good threads.
I only got to play a little bit of it this morning so here are my impressions:

-Controls feel about right. Yes they're not as loose as the original but they're servicable and haven't caused me any issues so far. Personally I like the changes as it gives SOPHIA a bit more weight.

-Music remix isn't as overbearing as it was in the trailer, which is a good thing...but...

-As much as I love the BM theme, it is a little annoying to have it restart when you enter the topdown mode. I know it's to keep in tradition of the original to have the theme go throughout the entire stage but it doesn't quite work well the way it's done here due to the restarting. A better solution whould be to have another version of the theme that plays during those segment but make it a bit more quiet and atmospheric. That way when you finally get out of that section you're back to the rockin version.

-Game's balance seems to be fine right now. I haven't come across anything that appeared to be a cheap hit (something the original suffered from). The driving segments seem a bit easy so far but the topdown segments is where the challenge seems to be at. The topdown portions are much improved over the orignal. Judging by the trailer I'm sure the challenge is going to ramp up greatly.

-I unfortunately take back what I said about the graphics earlier. They look a bit flat so far. That could change as I progress further.

Despite the small knocks I did have fun with the game from what I played and I look forward to coming home tonight to play some more. This is the closest Blaster Master has been to the original since... well the original, and that's what I've was hoping for.

TheUnknownForce said:
Before playing the game, I urge you guys to read the Operations Manual. Someone had a fun time with it.

The story is campy all over the place.

Almost forgot how Working Designs handled their manuals. I'll have to check now to see how GaijinWorks carries on the tradition.

MoxManiac

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Well this thread convinced me, i'll grab it when i get home tonight. So good to hear the music is true to the original.

Awhile back a bunch of Genesis games were put on sale for 500 points each.

Other than that I dunno.

Agnates

Banned
JasonMCG said:
I think World of Goo was offered for 1000 points once.
Once.
And SEGA had discounted some of their VC games at some point. So, it's possible, just Nintendo doesn't do it for their own games, and I guess other companies putting their games on there don't care to ask for them either.

Edit: nm, beaten.

BooJoh

I'm still on the fence. The NES one was too hard for me, mainly with the constantly respawning enemies that are hard to hit, and the fact that I never knew what I was supposed to be doing.

Also, I think it's a travesty in this day and age that a game would be released not only in 4:3 only, but people are saying it's 480i? Just because we own a Wii doesn't mean we don't care if our games look good.

bryehn

The lack of CC/GC support in this game is baffling and the music gets on my nerves after a while, but I'm so glad this was released. Blaster Master is without a doubt one of my favorites of all time and one of my top 5 8-bit games. If only we could get Sunsoft Batman too :lol

BooJoh said:
Also, I think it's a travesty in this day and age that a game would be released not only in 4:3 only, but people are saying it's 480i? Just because we own a Wii doesn't mean we don't care if our games look good.

For what it's worth I didn't even notice it was 480i at first. Not nearly as blurry as some other WiiWare titles like Bubble Bobble Plus or even Chronos Twins DX.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Oh hell yes, I finally got my homebrewed Wii updated to 4.2 and discovered I had 1500 unspent points in the shop channel :D

Downloading now!

Enk

makes good threads.
BooJoh said:
I'm still on the fence. The NES one was too hard for me, mainly with the constantly respawning enemies that are hard to hit, and the fact that I never knew what I was supposed to be doing.

BM:O's difficulty is pretty fair so far. It's nothing like the original where you were vulnerable to enemy attacks the moment you walk through a door.

bryehn said:
The lack of CC/GC support in this game is baffling and the music gets on my nerves after a while, but I'm so glad this was released. Blaster Master is without a doubt one of my favorites of all time and one of my top 5 8-bit games. If only we could get Sunsoft Batman too :lol

What's holding back Sunsoft making a spiritual successor to Batman using the same gameplay mechanics and music style but just with a different character?

Top Bottom