• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazblue Cross Tag Battle announced (Blazblue X Persona X Undernight Inbirth X RWBY)

But would they fit with the rest of the characters? At least Blazblue and Persona look like they could belong in a same game, but don't know how will uniel sprites look there

The style might not be exactly the same, but I feel they're close enough for the sprite works to not look jarring.

1Fb4PB1.gif
2RIrsN5.gif

They should have gone all out and combined every franchise's name into the title instead of making it just a subsection of the BlazBlue series.

Also, aren't Uniel characters super broken in terms of fighting game characters. They're probably getting nerfed beyond belief just so every other franchise stands a chance.

WarRock

They should have gone all out and combined every franchise's name into the title instead of making it just a subsection of the BlazBlue series.

Also, aren't Uniel characters super broken in terms of fighting game characters. They're probably getting nerfed beyond belief just so every other franchise stands a chance.
Have you ever heard of CT Nu or Arakune? DLC Kokonoe?

LordKasual

Banned

In their own game, not really, it's a design choice that everyone basically has full-screen normals. But the movement is tuned to that.

In blazblue, everyone can double jump and airdash, something that nobody in UNIEL can do.

I could very easily see ArcSys sneaking in a character or two from games that aren't these 4 titles. In fact, I'd really love to see a cleaned up Guilty Gear character (which is most likely) and Filia from Skullgirls (as she was rumored to be a UNIEL guest character for a while.)

DrArchon

I could very easily see ArcSys sneaking in a character or two from games that aren't these 4 titles. In fact, I'd really love to see a cleaned up Guilty Gear character (which is most likely) and Filia from Skullgirls (as she was rumored to be a UNIEL guest character for a while.)

ASW did publish Skullgirls in Japan, so it's not impossible.

Still, I'm a pessimist and keeping my hopes in check. I figure it'll just be a bunch of reused BB, P4U and UNIEL sprites, and the only new characters will be the 4 main characters of RWBY.

Rutger

Banned

Grim Reaper is not something Arcsys characters can't handle.

It'll be fine. There will certainly be changes, characters are not going to just be dropped in as they were, but the UNIEL characters are not any more crazy than Arcsys characters.

Gravidee

Watch the first two seasons. It falls off a cliff in quality after.

That's a load of BS. If anything, it started at the bottom of the cliff and is slowly making it's way up, both in terms of writing and character animation. I was ready to give up on RWBY after finishing the second volume, because of how low stakes things seemed (not to mention the choreography of the finale battle was pretty lackluster).

Volume 3 was what brought me back to RWBY and they managed to prove to me that the build-up over the last two volumes was not for nothing, that the story direction was actually going somewhere. Volume 4 is essentially the beginning of a new story arc.

The only drop in quality is some of the choreography after Monty's passing, but even then they're still entertaining to watch. Some of the major fights in volume 3 were still great, and volume 4 had the Qrow vs. Tyrian fight as well as the final battle.

WarRock

I'm not sure of your point. CT was, what, 5 games ago? Nu and Arakune are nothing like their CT iterations now. Same with CP Kokonoe.
My point is that BB had character as or even more broken than Gordeau. UNIEL characters are going to be fine, the poster I was quoting is worrying over nothing.

fhqwhgads

That's a load of BS. If anything, it started at the bottom of the cliff and is slowly making it's way up, both in terms of writing and character animation. I was ready to give up on RWBY after finishing the second volume, because of how low stakes things seemed (not to mention the choreography of the finale battle was pretty lackluster).

Volume 3 was what brought me back to RWBY and they managed to prove to me that the build-up over the last two volumes was not for nothing, that the story direction was actually going somewhere. Volume 4 is essentially the beginning of a new story arc.

The only drop in quality is some of the choreography after Monty's passing, but even then they're still entertaining to watch. Some of the major fights in volume 3 were still great, and volume 4 had the Qrow vs. Tyrian fight as well as the final battle.
If you enjoy an idiot ball plot, quantity over quality characters and Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.

Probably something in the BlazBlue universe is what causes the crossover, so that would explain why this technically is a BB game, or maybe ASW is not going for a balanced roster and BB may have the most characters since it's the franchise that has most playable characters

Loz246789

Gonna have to echo season 3 being the start of the truly good stuff for Rwby. Not to say the previous seasons are bad or anything, but it's largely setup. Season 3 is where they really pulled back the curtain on what they have in mind for the show.

... Slightly more on topic, I wonder what alternate colour schemes we'll get for the Rwby cast/just Ruby if they're stingy. A Qrow colour scheme would be pretty neat for Ruby? However you'd do that?

Gravidee

If you enjoy an idiot ball plot,

What makes it an "idiot ball plot"?

quantity over quality characters

What is this even supposed to mean? If anything, the characters have been getting better development since the end of volume 2. Actual character arcs, both for major and minor characters are explored. Hell, even the villains which I did not expect out of this web series. Maybe it all comes down to expectations.

Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.

Deus ex machina for that scene? Sure, maybe, but it's not as if she saved the day or anything. Chosen one? Too early to tell, all we know is that she has some kind of special ability, and nothing about about and destiny or prophecy type thing. Mary Sue? I don't think you know what that term means. She has trouble against anything that isn't a Grimm or a nameless thug, doesn't always make the best decisions and is treated normally by everyone else. Nobody in the show treats her like she's some perfect being.

Spman2099

Junpei, Kanji, Mitsuru, Akihiko, Adachi, Valkenhayn, and Taokaka please.

Every time one of these characters makes it into the game my excitement for it will increase...

ZoronMaro

The only relation Undernight has with ArcSys is they published it right? Cause then all I can think about is how they also published Chaos Code, Arcana Heart 3, Skullgirls (in Japan at least), and freeking Melty Blood.

Man, I don't care about HD assets put in a bunch of Morrigan sprites I want 80 characters from a dozen franchises.

Monty Oum got noticed for making a series of crossover fighting shorts featuring Final Fantasy and Dead or Alive characters. Now, his own anime inspired creation is in a crossover anime fighter. He would be so proud.

A.J.

Banned
If you enjoy an idiot ball plot, quantity over quality characters and Ruby being a mary sue chosen one deus ex machina then more power to you.

To be fair at least Ruby has something going on with her now rather than just being team leader for no reason and losing fights.

To be fair at least Ruby has something going on with her now rather than just being team leader for no reason and losing fights.

RWBY would be a much better series if they fused Ruby and Jaune into one character.

You might think that the girl who skipped a grade ahead would be the one who didn't know things and had them exposited to her for the audience's sake, lagged behind the rest in fighting skills and had to train and grew as the series progressed, and got bullied.

But then our main character wouldn't be amazing cool 100% of the time, and we couldn't have that.

A.J.

Banned
RWBY would be a much better series if they fused Ruby and Jaune into one character.

You might think that the girl who skipped a grade ahead would be the one who didn't know things and had them exposited to her for the audience's sake, lagged behind the rest in fighting skills and had to train and grew as the series progressed, and got bullied.

But then our main character would be amazing cool 100% of the time, and we couldn't have that.

I 100% agree. Jaune pretty much has all the characterization that the main character should have while Ruby has the main character mantle and her quirky nerd dialogue.

I hope this game ends up being busted but insanely fun in the vein of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. ASW has a lot of character sprites to pull from so I'm expecting a giant roster.

Blu(e)

Having a few broken characters isn't going to save the rest of the roster when almost all of Uniel is rediculously powerful.

I don't know. Amane from BlazBlue and Margaret from P4U2 seems OP to me.

I guess posting a full meter combo and saying how powerful they are based on that seems a bit disingenuous to me though. They're all very powerful.

Rutger

Banned
Having a few broken characters isn't going to save the rest of the roster when almost all of Uniel is rediculously powerful.

Have you played UNIEL? It really seems like you've just seen a video of Grim Reaper and are judging everything off of that.

The characters are not ridiculously overpowered, not any more so than the average Arcsys game. Hell, they'll probably need those massive attacks in order to keep up if they keep their very limited air mobility options compared to the Arcsys characters.

Kalentan

I 100% agree. Jaune pretty much has all the characterization that the main character should have while Ruby has the main character mantle and her quirky nerd dialogue.

While I do love the show I will admit this is kind of true. It really does seem like Jaune should be the main character and not Ruby.

Woah 4 franchises? This game could give us like 60 characters, right?

IIRC most ArcSys fighters have like 20 characters right?

Though if they reuse assets I suppose this could be larger than usual. Don't they really only have to make new assets for RWBY characters/any new skills on returning characters?

Rutger

Banned
IIRC most ArcSys fighters have like 20 characters right?

Though if they reuse assets I suppose this could be larger than usual. Don't they really only have to make new assets for RWBY characters/any new skills on returning characters?

BB is up to 35 playable characters now, soon to be 36.

Rosters in Arcsys fighting games start small when they need to make new sprites/models, but they tend to keep everyone so they can reach pretty good sizes with time.

So yeah, with asset reuse this is going to be different from the typical new Arcsys game.

(Persona not counting shadow characters is at 22, and UNIEL will soon be at 20 btw)

So how about mechanics of this game, I know some of you hate wild speculation but man this game could be crazy. It could have groves like in cvs, for example a UNIEL grove with the GRD bar! Also I really hope they go all out and add as many franchises as possible, they could add characters from any of their published games! So that means Arcana Heart, Chaos Code, Melty Blood or even River City Ransom characters could be in! Now before you guys say no way, the sprites are too low res, I know that there's no way this game will ONLY be old sprites. I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to not make any new sprites for it, think of the possibilities!

Kalentan

BB is up to 35 playable characters now, soon to be 36.

Rosters in Arcsys fighting games start small when they need to make new sprites/models, but they tend to keep everyone so they can reach pretty good sizes with time.

So yeah, with asset reuse this is going to be different from the typical new Arcsys game.

(Persona not counting shadow characters is at 22, and UNIEL will soon be at 20 btw)

Is it unreasonable to assume that they could reuse most of their BlazBlue, Persona, and UNIEL characters?

Rutger

Banned
Is it unreasonable to assume that they could reuse most of their BlazBlue, Persona, and UNIEL characters?

They certainly could. Other than the RWBY character everyone in the trailer were reused assets.

The real question is, do they want to have a game with so many characters? So many characters could bring its own issues such as balancing or even making sure they all work properly on time. Also, Atlus and French Bread likely have a say in who from Persona/UNIEL(respectively) makes it in.

Top Bottom