• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazeBlue: New HD2D Fighter From Arc System Works

bounchfx said:
FUCK YES! Finally a 2d HD figher for next gen.

is it true HD though? like, they arent bullshitting us and just scaling up normal graphics?
Perhaps the answer is already in this very thread!
no bullshit, appears to be native.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
http://www.akiba-ch.com/?p=403#more-403

more scans and information. Character select screen looks pretty small, but it's probably still in beta yet. I would love to see a full roster, although so far I'm not entirely impressed:

c006_01.jpg

That is, unless the characters control incredibly well.

RyanDG

KingJ2002 said:
looks alot like the resolution of the SSF2THD sprites. hopefully they animate well.

http://www.racketboy.com/images/ryu-sprites.jpg

vs.

http://www.akiba-ch.com/img.php?s=c&img=2008013006

The one's from SSF2THD are slightly larger in appearances compared to the Guilty Gear sprites, but it's understandable since it's being built around a 1080p resolution as opposed to the 720p resolution in BlazBlue.

I do like BlazBlue's look more than that of SSF2THD though.

harSon

Banned
You have to copy and paste famitsu links for some reason...

Fucking Capcom... Between this and King of Fighters I'm getting pretty pissed at the fact that Street Fighter 4 is not 2D.

Kirk

Ragnar=the=Bloodedge

Jin=Kisaragi

Noel=Vermillion

Totally off topic here but this made me think of something. There's no reason to use the equals signs in the English translation. They're really double hyphens, which are used in Japanese to separate parts of foreign names, because a space isn't consistently used to separate words in Japanese.

Anyway, that made me remember something. When I was a kid, I was always confused at the names in the game Golden Axe:

Axe=Battler
Tyris=Flare
Gilius=Thunderhead
Death=Adder

I always thought the second part of the name was somehow supposed to symbolize their magic or something, so I read it as an equals sign. Ha...it was just a bad translation.

Mr Jared

Joule said:

Eh, it looks nice but it's also the standard, Arc Systems way to do things. They create these huge, beautiful sprites and then they do a piss poor job of animating them. You can see the individual frames for every move. The idle stances look pretty bad too.

Iunno.. Arc Systems is always like this. It looks nice when you're playing and not really paying attention, but when you're just watching it's like, wow, could you please put more than 3 frames of animation into things next time? It practically defeats the purpose of having such hi-def sprites.

Edit: The backgrounds and specials look really nice though. Even if one of Ragna's is a total rip of Arcueid Brunestud's from Melty Blood ;o

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I like this but I really hope GG gets an HD upgrade. I really like the characters, so bizzare.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
It's just like GGXX. Buttrock, questionable character designs and all that.

DaCocoBrova said:
It's just like GGXX. Buttrock, questionable character designs and all that.
At least Guilty Gear had decent to good character designs, while those from Blaze Blue are uninspired and plain, every single one of them.

TreIII

HK-47 said:
I like this but I really hope GG gets an HD upgrade. I really like the characters, so bizzare.

I think the fact that this game is being marketed as more or less 2D GG successor (and GGAC+ being the series proper send-off), makes the message clear. BB IS the new 2D GG, while GG2nd is probably going to be what Ishiwatari wants to do with the series now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
MicVlaD said:
At least Guilty Gear had decent to good character designs, while those from Blaze Blue are uninspired and plain, every single one of them.

Heh, Guilty Gear's designs are no better or no worse. It's the same thing, buckles, straps, zippers and belts holding large pieces of cut out fabric over a generic looking figure with extraordinarilly bizarre hair. While most of Guilty Gear's characters and their designs have grown on me with time, I remember when I first saw them, and thinking how bad they were.

I think the fact that this game is being marketed as more or less 2D GG successor (and GGAC+ being the series proper send-off), makes the message clear. BB IS the new 2D GG, while GG2nd is probably going to be what Ishiwatari wants to do with the series now.

most likely true, however I wouldn't be surprised if GG made another entry into 2D form. I love GG and I feel like GGAC and GGAC + perfected their formula, to go any further with the series in 2D would probably require lots of change (for better or for worse). So why not start a new franchise in which they can make all the changes they want to without being held to the limitations of the GG's game namesake.

TreIII

Extollere said:
Heh, Guilty Gear's designs are no better or no worse. It's the same thing, buckles, straps, zippers and belts holding large pieces of cut out fabric over a generic looking figure with extraordinarilly bizarre hair. While most of Guilty Gear's characters and their designs have grown on me with time, I remember when I first saw them, and thinking how bad they were.

This is true. Really, the only bad thing going against BB is that GG did a lot of things first, so people are basically setting their own biases against it just because BB basically continues to write in the book that GG started.

most likely true, however I wouldn't be surprised if GG made another entry into 2D form.

Again, I just don't think it's likely, and your later part of your quote pretty much gives a good reason why.

Besides, between BB and BASARA X (which I'm looking very much forward to playing still!), ASW's 2D fighting game development teams have plenty to keep them busy, such that a new 2D GG isn't really all that necessary.

Overall, I think AC+ was meant to be the send-off. A fond farewell to those who loved the game series, before they later are meant to embrace the newness of BB.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
hmmm you're probably right, although what I meant was that I wouldn't be surprised to see another 2D GG in the future, perhaps after the BB game (or series) ran it's course. Especially if when weighed against one another GG proves to have been the more popular series and if the fan base demands a return. This probably depends in part, to the sucess of BB and how well it can establish itself.

tehbear

Still this will be a beauty to behold like GG was. The only knock outside of artistic preference is the still lacking frames of animation.

You still can't beat GG's combination of attacking and shiny colors.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
TreIII said:
This is true. Really, the only bad thing going against BB is that GG did a lot of things first, so people are basically setting their own biases against it just because BB basically continues to write in the book that GG started.

Again, I just don't think it's likely, and your later part of your quote pretty much gives a good reason why.

Besides, between BB and BASARA X (which I'm looking very much forward to playing still!), ASW's 2D fighting game development teams have plenty to keep them busy, such that a new 2D GG isn't really all that necessary.

Overall, I think AC+ was meant to be the send-off. A fond farewell to those who loved the game series, before they later are meant to embrace the newness of BB.
actually, they may keep the GG series on the Wii so that they don't have to up the resolution of the game. i mean, it makes sense, just keep the same sprites you've had for the past generation and maybe add a character here or there, add the general like for the GG series and you have a quicker cash scheme. make BlazeBlue for the HD consoles so you have something fresh for them and remain in lower res with the GG series, perhaps even to experiment a bit. it may not happen, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did end up like that.

Dali

doomed1 said:
actually, they may keep the GG series on the Wii so that they don't have to up the resolution of the game. i mean, it makes sense, just keep the same sprites you've had for the past generation and maybe add a character here or there, add the general like for the GG series and you have a quicker cash scheme. make BlazeBlue for the HD consoles so you have something fresh for them and remain in lower res with the GG series, perhaps even to experiment a bit. it may not happen, but i wouldn't be surprised if it did end up like that.

What about Basara X? An arguably more popular IP with much more room to grow and less baggage than a fighter that's been around since the Dreamcast. It's low res, so it could be the GG replacement for the Wii and PS2 instead of GG. I think ASW has to realize the fading appeal of the incremental changes in GG, so I agree with the idea that, for the time being, we won't be seeing anymore of the 2D fighter GG.

NoirYuki

If anyone is willing to find/make clothes even vaguely like that, I would wear it. Ugly designs, my bum.

Color me excited. Given it is made by the same people who make GG, I am sure there will be plenty of interesting characters.

Joule

Dali said:
What about Basara X? An arguably more popular IP with much more room to grow and less baggage than a fighter that's been around since the Dreamcast. It's low res, so it could be the GG replacement for the Wii and PS2 instead of GG. I think ASW has to realize the fading appeal of the incremental changes in GG, so I agree with the idea that, for the time being, we won't be seeing anymore of the 2D fighter GG.

How popular is Basara anyway? Basara X looks quite good and possibly quite fun to boot.

I agree that GG probably won't be seeing another iteration for awhile though I hope they'll finally make GGXXX someday. I'm not sure but I don't think AC-plus really finishes up the whole gear/that man/war bureau storyline. Let's not consider Overture.

Dali

Joule said:
How popular is Basara anyway? Basara X looks quite good and possibly quite fun to boot.

I agree that GG probably won't be seeing another iteration for awhile though I hope they'll finally make GGXXX someday. I'm not sure but I don't think AC-plus really finishes up the whole gear/that man/war bureau storyline. Let's not consider Overture.

I don't know how popular Basara X is, but I thought the Sengoku Basara series (the IP that Basara X is based on) did pretty well.

oh jeez. the game looks great in motion - maybe not as smooth as a few other fighters, but it's a definite visual treat.

I'm not much of a big fighter fan, but Noel looks rather fun to play as.

Has there been any word on number of fighters? I'm sure there's at least 8-10, but the last fighting game game I was shown four fighters for was Draglade, so the numerologist me is suspicious.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Played the game a ton at my friend's place. GOOD STUFF.

To those that tried it at AX, what did you think?

Xabora

MarkMan said:
Played the game a ton at my friend's place. GOOD STUFF.

To those that tried it at AX, what did you think?
Uhh... where in the bloody hell did he import the unit at?
I can't seem to find one online... be it the Taito Type X2 Combo unit with HDD & USB Encryption Key.
Or just the HDD & USB Encryption Key.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Xabora said:
Uhh... where in the bloody hell did he import the unit at?
I can't seem to find one online... be it the Taito Type X2 Combo unit with HDD & USB Encryption Key.
Or just the HDD & USB Encryption Key.

He didn't import it. He works for the company that makes the game :lol !

Top Bottom