• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazeBlue: New HD2D Fighter From Arc System Works

JEKKI

I got to play yesterday, it was awesome! I used 3 characters, Litchi 3 times, Carl once, and Noel once. I had zero wins with Litchi, one with Carl, and three with Noel.

rite now everybody is a scrub so we're jus messing with basic combos and trying to figure out how to play. Nobody is really comboing into and out of throws, nobody is Rapid Cancelling, nobody is using Barrier Guard.

people are using the "burst" tho, on offensive it freezes your opponent for a second leaving them open for a combo. You get one Burst per round, it does not refill over time like in Guilty Gear. But when you use it your life bar goes into Danger Mode which means your defense is lower so it is not wise to use it at the beginning of a round like most people in GG do.

One guy there was able to figure out basic shyt for Litchi and Taokaka pretty well, another guy got good with Ragna, another with Jin, and a couple guys got good with Bang Shisigami.

about the characters I played:

Litchi - very hard for me to use. When you're in possession of the staff her normal attacks really exploit the whole B and 6B are different (if you understand Guilty Gear notation) so I had a hard time figuring out basic combos. Her move with the staff (41236D) puts her into a stance and can be followed up with an attack and you can combo into this but I had a real hard time getting it down. I played with her 3 times and couldnt get comfortable with her.

Carl - I beat one guy by turtling and using his puppet all day to attack. When you give a command to the puppet there is a large delay between command and execution, and if the puppet is hit while it's activated then it cancels its attack. I'm curious as to how his playstyle will eventually turn out becoz his puppet does not move unless you move it (by holding down D while you walk), but you can also teleport the puppet beside you with 22D. Without the puppet I had a real time just controlling Carl himself but apparently one of my buttons was broken and had to be fixed after I lost. I lost against another Carl player and all we were doing was turtling until our puppets ran out of energy and went into commission (a la Eddie from Guilty Gear, we had to wait for the puppet to recharge) and we had to fight Carl vs Carl. All our matches ended in time outs since he was so hard to attack with by himself

Noel - she's awesome! Her basic combos are quite easy to chain together, and her drive move puts her in a custom dial a combo state. I was not able to combo into her drive from a standard combo but I always did follow up with it anyways, even if the opponent blocks it still pushes his block meter and can lead to a guard crush. I locked down my opponent in the corner and kept on doing Noel's drive combo until his guard did get crushed, and then I jus did another Drive combo to attack him.

about character observations:

Taokaka - like Chipp, very fast and can combo you for days, but her moves dont do much damage. Her super move which is like Beserker Barage does good damage tho.

Bang - the coindoor on the machine broke and one guy was stuck playing single player while we waited for it to get fixed and during this time he got pretty good with Bang. He found a combo that can link into his super. Also his drive moves sets the opponent on fire, and every time it connects he gains a token. Once Bang gains 4 tokens he can transform into Super Bang which makes him real fast and cool! The transformation itself is very impressive and fun.

Jin - pretty standard character, he can freeze you tho. he can do a combo, end it in a freeze, and hit you a couple more times since you're vulnerable.

Ragna - also pretty standard, but his ability is to absorb your life like wtf... I saw one round where at the beginning of it he ate a combo, then he went on to win the round and by the end he had full health back. They say this game is balance but I would love to understand why this character was given such a seemingly unfair property.

Tager - I didnt see anybody play him except one dood and it wasnt anything special... I only wanna mention him becoz the nite before I heard someone had 66 wins with him. It was by Mike Z, a top Guilt Gear player who I hear was given a test copy of the game so it makes sense he'd understand how to play more so than anyone else. I'd really love to see how he plays in action.

Arakune - he seems real random, a lot of people were using him but I cuoldnt really figure him out and see what makes his playstyle special and unique. Everyone who was using him was playing hit and run style.

Rachel - I only saw one person use her and he lost, but in the videos I posted there's a lot of Rachel love so you can watch those instead.

so I still suck at the game but hopefully I wanna go back in like a week and jus play to learn more.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
JEKKI said:
Tager - I didnt see anybody play him except one dood and it wasnt anything special... I only wanna mention him becoz the nite before I heard someone had 66 wins with him. It was by Mike Z, a top Guilt Gear player who I hear was given a test copy of the game so it makes sense he'd understand how to play more so than anyone else. I'd really love to see how he plays in action.

Is that the same Mike Z who used to be a big Zangief player in SF years ago? If so, makes sense.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Once Bang opens up his 4 gates, he goes into Rock Lee mode.

Also Noel is my girl! My favorite character to use for sure. Her D moves/overheads link real easily and she has some decent keep away if you know the range on her shots. She has good anti air and can chain them into her super if timed right.

Since her D moves have so much startup frame wise and have built in overheads, I like to rapid cancel the ending frames into throw/command throw or start a generic mixup into more. Rapid cancel isn't necessary but it really helps vs turtles.

JEKKI

Bread n Butter combo exhibition courtesy Arcsys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnem-4t1yTs

I went to play over the weekend, I was gonna do a small write up on all my Litchi findings,

but I got hella discouraged coz this dood came and pretty much owned a good round of ppl with Litchi and he knew SO MUCH MORE than the basic shyt I was struggling to discover...

but once he got beat he switched to Jin and pwned everyone!

then I left and apparently they decided to do a small tournament and he won it.

anyway it sux living far from the arcade and not having much free time coz these guys are only getting better everyday while I'm here at home on youtube playing theory fighter and waiting to go back

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I got to try this today. The game is dope as fuck. ArcSys did a bang up job with this game. For the people pressed about graphics, the game is gorgeous as hell and animates well.

I mainly used Noel and Jin. Noel is built for rushdown and putting hella pressure on people. All of her D-moves are sick and combo back to back when it lands. 1-2-3 <--- what she yells. Her aerial down D is good for people that think waltzing around is going to cut it. I didn't know much when playing today, but her guns are good for zoning people. A small icon pops up on the screen that shows where the bullet is going to land, but other than that it's pretty cool. qcf 2x D is the long range super where she ends it with the missile. It hits the length of the screen and is good for catching people when they aren't blocking.

Jin is basically Kye/whatever from guilty gear, except for the ice properties involved. If you look at the the movie posted just above, you'll see the bnb stuff that is crucial for playing him. In the hands of a great player, he can control the screen easily. Probably could zone out more people than Litchi can.

I tried Litchi, and managed to win a round or so with her runaway game. Her staff is great and it's dp hits hard as hell. People seem to forget about that staff of hers, when fighting her. :lol

I can't stress how crucial defense is and how you don't want to use the burst mechanic. The negative penalty you get is steep. You can win matches with it, no doubt, but facing against a heavy hitter like Tager and getting hit = game over.

Taokaka = wolverine from the Mahvel games. She is a beast. Saddest shit ever was when I jumped and some dude fired off her grab super. I got caught on a jump in and got wtfpwned. :(

I don't have the time or the funds to play this as much as I want. It's fucking great though. The pace is kinda odd though. It's not as fast as GG, but it's still quick. Matches can last forever and a day too. lol

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Oldschoolgamer said:
I can't stress how crucial defense is and how you don't want to use the burst mechanic. The negative penalty you get is steep. You can win matches with it, no doubt, but facing against a heavy hitter like Tager and getting hit = game over.

Yeah I was reading you can bait this pretty easily since people use it in desperation..

Oldschoolgamer

haunts said:
Yeah I was reading you can bait this pretty easily since people use it in desperation..

Really can. I honestly think it's more of a mental thing than anything else. Some of the combos seem excessive as hell, but the way the damage scales it ends up not doing much. So, I think it's kinda ingrained in people's minds from guilty gear to burst out of a combo and carry on with the match. On the flipside, if you are getting hit with a string of ridiculousness and have no other choice to use it, you are kinda forced to. I think when people wise up and learn the damage from certain things, it won't be as easy to bait out of people. Like, taokaka does shit damage even with genei jin activated, so a lot of times you could just stand to eat the punches and go on with the match. That can't be said with Tager.

Oh yea. The negative penalty you get from "running away" to much can kinda screw you too. You get a warning first though. It pops up on the screen, something like "negative penalty incoming" or something, to notify you of your incoming drop in defense. After that, the character starts having glowing red lines on them. Kinda looks similar to the first step in activating destroy moves in Accent Core.

Speaking of which, I'll probably ask on SRK, but maybe someone here knows. The glowing icon is the notification that you can use an Astral finish? If so, wtf are the requirements for getting them? I've seen them a bunch of times, but weren't really sure as to why they lit up.

The amount of noise characters make is LOL. Seems like they are arguing with each other during the fight.

Oldschoolgamer

Forgot one small thing. It's probably been covered already, but the game lets you choose which control scheme you want, before your match.

So its either the first type.

ABC
D

or

BCD
A

(I think. Correct me if I'm wrong)

And you can pick the colors you want if you press Start on the character you are choosing. I want a mango Noel for added pringles and curly mustache bonus.

Both of these should be standard.

*REMOVED*

Soul_Calibur_-_Logo_2.jpg

JEKKI

that's my problem with the game, especially since the dialogue is supposed to be very story specific you can expect a lot of it,

it's like theyre freakin arguing and having a heated debate n shyt

Chowfahn

Neo Member
Wasn't sure if I should post here, or somewhere else... And I'm still a Junior, soo....

Blazblue confirmed for 360 and PS3! Rejoice! Online play is included.

Edit: Forgot about the scans thing.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Confirmed for PS3 and 360!

They were holding back confirmation on the matter, but it was inevitable. I'm so glad I bought the fightstick now.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Online was confirmed at dustloop.

Release date: Summer '09 (for both PS3 and 360). Should be here alongside KOFXII, so don't rinse your wallets too soon.

Nice. :) I never played Guilty Gear, but I have a few friends who are serious GG-nuts, and are anticipating BlazBlue like crazy. SFIV, on the other hand, got me re-interested in the whole beat-em-up genre, so I'm probably going to pick this up as well ( for the PS3 ).

Lé Blade Runner said:
Nice. :) I never played Guilty Gear, but I have a few friends who are serious GG-nuts, and are anticipating BlazBlue like crazy. SFIV, on the other hand, got me re-interested in the whole beat-em-up genre, so I'm probably going to pick this up as well ( for the PS3 ).

Never call fighting games beat-em-ups. Some people will take it personally. :D

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Anyone know where I could find BlazBlue arcade machines in the UK? I doubt they'll release a demo before it hits retail; I'm just curious to see how it compares to Guilty Gear X2.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
Guilty Gear X2 Reload is the only multiplayer game I've ever clocked over 1,000 hours with.

I'm a huge fan, and I really can't wait for this. But I'll have to.

Flyguy

_leech_ said:
Are there any details on the fighting system? Game doesn't seem to have a Wikipedia entry.
According to the Xplay video the controls are similiar to GG but with a 'Drive' button that "makes you do cool stuff without actually trying."

Top Bottom