• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazeBlue: New HD2D Fighter From Arc System Works

KingJ2002

The latest issue of Famitsu revealed the name of the next 2D fighting game by Arc System : BlazeBlue. It will come out on the Taito Type X2 board and will be shown at AOU show in february.

Scans:

bbscan_2.jpg

bbscan_3.jpg

bbscan_4.jpg

*credit goes to chun_li1 at neo-arcadia for the scans

lock if old

Busty

Banned
This is the absolute perfect game to stick on PSN/XBLA when it finishes it's run in the arcades.

Hopefully developers start to look at these download services as being a second revenue stream for games like these. Almost like the home window to the film industry's theatrical release window, they could go to the PSN after a run in the arcades.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DUDE!

The main character's name is RAGNAR THE BLOOD EDGE!
That is fucking METAL!

Hopefully the Loki tests for this are not confined to Tokyo. I would love to get my hands on this in Osaka at some point.

Other character names:

Jin Kisaragi

Noel Vermillion

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I dunno all the kanji, but Ragnar is apparently a 死神 (Shinigami...Reaper)

Again...METAL

thetrin

Prime crotch said:
To bad their designs aren't metal at all. Sol's sword was cool but Ragnar's, man that is one shity sword.

I concur. This guy is no Sol...I'm sure we'll get some other awesome designs though.

I really like the name Blaze Blue. Follows the aliteration motif created by Guilty Gear.

Acosta

Are they going to make another Guilty Gear or they will close the story with the last game? (I heard it was going to be the definitive story).

In any case, looks great, and every new 2D fighting games is more than welcome.

thetrin

Controls according to famitsu:

Weak, Mid, Strong, and EX. Huh, that's not GG's control scheme at all!

There is a blurb leading from the EX button that says "What is this button?!" but the stupid camera caught the flash all over the word bubble, so I can't read it, and tell you guys wtf the EX button does. :(

Before you go and dub him Ragnar, it might just as well be "Laguna". Just so you know. Does anyone have better scans so we can tell from the energy bar names?

aku:jiki

thetrin said:
I really like the name Blaze Blue. Follows the aliteration motif created by Guilty Gear.
But the logo says Blazblue! That's not a very good name at all.

And the kana says bureiburu-. The hell is that title supposed to mean?

duckroll

OP is filled with lies.

- it's not really HD, only the backgrounds are HD and they scroll
- it's not related to Guilty Gear in any way whatsoever story wise
- it's not even produced by Ishiwatari, although he'll still be doing the music
- I don't see any confirmation that it's Type-X from the article, but that might be from elsewhere

thetrin

If his name was Laguna it would be ラグーナ not ラグナ.

Also, Laguna is so not metal.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
duckroll said:
OP is filled with lies.

- I don't see any confirmation that it's Type-X from the article, but that might be from elsewhere
To the rescue.

nlwf2u.jpg

Prince8

Banned
Damn hot :D
Guilty Gear is amazing, I was really disappointed when they announced that Guilty Gear 2 was not a 2D fighter anymore, but this gets my hopes up :D

duckroll said:
OP is filled with lies.

How can one piece of the image be HD, but not the rest? Isn't it either 720p (HD) or 480i(SD)? Or is the HD referring simply to the sprite resolution?

TreIII

duckroll said:
OP is filled with lies.

Hmmm...

Well, this pretty much goes with my overall assessment. I REALLY don't think that ASW will be trying to push this so much for next-gen; especially since the fact of the matter is that it's a) a new IP and b) they're probably still reeling from commercial failures like "Battle Fantasia" and "Guilty Gear 2".

That in mind, I would think it's safer to assume that they'll be trying to be "safer" with this game.

duckroll

reggieandTFE said:
How can one piece of the image be HD, but not the rest? Isn't it either 720p (HD) or 480i(SD)? Or is the HD referring simply to the sprite resolution?

Well, there's no indication the game is actually going to be HD (it might, I'm just saying it's not reported), but there's a part of the article that talks about how detailed and beautiful the high definition backgrounds are. This could simply be inferred to mean that the backgrounds are being done at a much higher resolution than the actual game sprites or display resolution.

Since its Type X2, as confirmed by the location test blurb, I suppose it's a good chance that the game will output at 720p, but it still remains to be seen how "HD" everything really is natively.

TreIII

If it's just going to be basically standard fare with ASW's sprites, what's the point? I would have expected possibly to take advantage of the hardware to make for more 2D sprite effects, or some thing to that effect.

...But any way, when's the AOU this year?

fubarduck

duckroll said:
Since its Type X2, as confirmed by the location test blurb, I suppose it's a good chance that the game will output at 720p, but it still remains to be seen how "HD" everything really is natively.
Not trying to call you out or anything, but all Type X2 games output HD. HD refers only to the resolution that the game outputs.

You can say "I don't like the graphics on this HD game" or "the backgrounds appear to have more detail than the character sprites" but to say "it's not HD" is a misuse of vocabulary. A game is either HD, or it isn't. This one is HD.

Prime crotch said:
It was already anounced a PS3 port, no 360 it seems.
Don't really like the character designs.

yeah it seems the character designs are taking a turn for the worse. if you looks at GG overture its the same style as this game. really bad imo

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Character designs seem par for the course, so...not sure what people are expecting really (Guilty Gear isn't some high mark for designs or anything). However, new 2D fighter is hot news to me. :D

TreIII

fubarduck said:
Not trying to call you out or anything, but all Type X2 games output HD. HD refers only to the resolution that the game outputs.

You can say "I don't like the graphics on this HD game" or "the backgrounds appear to have more detail than the character sprites" but to say "it's not HD" is a misuse of vocabulary. A game is either HD, or it isn't. This one is HD.

ALL TX2 games?

If you can honestly explain to me some how, that King of Fighters Maximum Impact: Regulation A and the upcoming Samurai Spirits SEN are HD games, then I'd be willing to believe you.

But I would think those two games alone are enough to contest the notion that TX2 = always HD.

RyanDG

TreIII said:
ALL TX2 games?

If you can honestly explain to me some how, that King of Fighters Maximum Impact: Regulation A and the upcoming Samurai Spirits SEN are HD games, then I'd be willing to believe you.

But I would think those two games alone are enough to contest the notion that TX2 = always HD.

Well, from a technical side of things, the Type X2 only outputs in HD resolutions. I think that's what he was referring to.

TreIII

RyanDG said:
Well, from a technical side of things, the Type X2 only outputs in HD resolutions. I think that's what he was referring to.

Even so, the fact that we do have Reg A and SS Sen, to me, pretty much points to the notion that this game won't necessarily be as "HD" as some may have originally anticipated/wanted.

Those two games I mention, in the end, are not at all far removed from the Playstation 2's graphical quality, which was probably intentional.

fubarduck

TreIII said:
ALL TX2 games?

Yes, all Taito X2 games. Samurai Spirits Sen and KOF Maximum Impact: Regulation A are both HD games. The aspect ratio is 16:9. The resolution is 720p.

The definition of HD is any resolution between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

TreIII said:
Even so, the fact that we do have Reg A and SS Sen, to me, pretty much points to the notion that this game won't necessarily be as "HD" as some may have originally anticipated/wanted.

Those two games I mention, in the end, are not at all far removed from the Playstation 2's graphical quality, which was probably intentional.

Again, you're allowed to dislike the graphics, or say "it looks like a PS2 game", but there are no degrees of HD. A game is either HD, or it is not.

At first I thought the sprites were native size to fit 720p, thus HD sprites. I guess not (they must be resized or enlarged)

RyanDG

tehbear said:
So it's a HD game with SD sprites? Disappointing, but much better than another animu girl fighter.

This is just speculation at this point. The article doesn't get into the detail of the native resolution of the sprites or what amount of upscaling or resizing was done with them to make them work with the HD output resolution of the TypeX2 platform.

TreIII

fubarduck said:
Yes, all Taito X2 games. Samurai Spirits Sen and KOF Maximum Impact: Regulation A are both HD games. The aspect ratio is 16:9. The resolution is 720p.

The definition of HD is any resolution between 1280x720 and 1920x1080 with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Again, you're allowed to dislike the graphics, or say "it looks like a PS2 game", but there are no degrees of HD. A game is either HD, or it is not.

Alright...I guess I'll just take your word on it. :D

Still...if we already have a precedent where two games on the platform are basically PS2-level games, then I'm willing to bet that ASW probably won't push this game for the PS3/360 generation either.

RyanDG

TreIII said:
Still...if we already have a precedent where two games on the platform are basically PS2-level games, then I'm willing to bet that ASW probably won't push this game for the PS3/360 generation either.

I feel bad for Taito sometimes. The Type X never really caught on because of its high entry price. The Type X2 has been suffering from the fact that people still had a bit of a bad taste about the Type X and the fact that some of its early Type X2 games have not been true technical displays of what the platform can do.

With that said though, Arc System Works already has some good experience with the platform. Even though its not a great fighter (I like it though - haters be damned), Battle Fantasia is a good example of what the platform is capable of visually that goes quite a bit beyond what the PS2 can deliver.

Top Bottom