• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BlazeBlue: New HD2D Fighter From Arc System Works

I for one welcome this new fighting game, the main reason being is that theres a distinct lack of new fighter IPs in the market that are worth getting, and being Arc System Works, i have confidence that this game can deliver up to GG series standards.. even if im not a big fan of GG games.

Mr Jared

flipping_heck said:
I for one welcome this new fighting game, the main reason being is that theres a distinct lack of new fighter IPs in the market that are worth getting, and being Arc System Works, i have confidence that this game can deliver up to GG series standards.. even if im not a big fan of GG games.

Word. On one hand though, I'm really excited ... new 2D fighters in the arcade are always good, though I wonder if Arc System Works can ever make anything that doesn't not look exactly like Guilty Gear. Even Fist of North Star looked like Guilty Gear. I mean, there's having a style and all but even Capcom managed to mix it up in the billion Street Fighter games.

I do hope this is less complicated than GGXX. That series is just needlessly complicated.

duckroll

fubarduck is right. I was simply talking about the native resolution of the actual sprites, but being a Type X2 game, it'll be a HD resolution game at least in terms of output. Whether the game is actually designed to take full advantage of that remains to be seen, that's why we have location tests to look forward to. :)

RyanDG

alkaline black said:
new 2D fighters in the arcade are always good, though I wonder if Arc System Works can ever make anything that doesn't not look exactly like Guilty Gear.

They can. Battle Fantasia shows that. The problem is though that their system wasn't as refined as it should've been and the game suffered early for that. It's now been written off, which is truly a shame, since I think the game is fun, albeit a bit broken.

TreIII

duckroll said:
fubarduck is right. I was simply talking about the native resolution of the actual sprites, but being a Type X2 game, it'll be a HD resolution game at least in terms of output. Whether the game is actually designed to take full advantage of that remains to be seen, that's why we have location tests to look forward to. :)

The most that I desire, at the moment, is something akin to Arcana Heart: well-animated (PLEASE ASW!) sprite models that come in at like 480p, while the BGs could be 780p.

Grant me that, and that's all I could really ask for. And confidentially, that's what I most expect from the likes of ASW and SNKP, as far as their future 2D fighters on the TX2 are concerned.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Wow, that was quick. Is Basara X even finished yet?

Not digging those character designs at all. Even less so than Guilty Gear, but new 2D fighter means I'll be all over it.

So this year, we (should) get:

-KOF '98 Ultimate Match (April in arcades)
-SSF2T HD Remix (for home)
-Arcana Heart 2
-Blazeblue
-KOF XII
-A new Melty Blood (?)

Not bad, not bad at all. And isn't there another doujin fighter heading to arcades this year too? I forgot the name.

tehbear said:
So it's a HD game with SD sprites? Disappointing, but much better than another animu girl fighter.

Those character designs absolutely scream "animu." :p

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
I got my hands on this week's Famitsu for only a few minutes (it's pretty large this week too) but I scanned through the BlazBlue pages quickly and here are some more points. I'm doing this from memory but I will try to confirm these points plus others tonight.

- the graphics are definitely a step up from GG/FotNS/Sengoku X... backgrounds seem to be higher res and the characters also seem to be of the same resolution. Not to say that they are definitely higher res but they just look like it. Of course this is just judging from magazine shots but that was the first impression that I got.

- There are two bars underneath the character, one called the Hit Gauge (green) and one called the Barrier Gauge (red). They said that right now they can't go into further detail about it, but basically they suggested that the Hit Gauge goes up when you attack an enemy (didn't say if it had to be a clean hit or if it could be blocked) and is vital for pulling off a character's super move. The Barrier gauge I suppose is when you're under attack and drains whenever you use a technique associated with it. I guess it's like Guilty Gear's Faultless Defense?

- The EX button is used for a character's special abilities. It's explained that they did this so that even beginners can execute moves without too much difficulty, so they're trying to make this game even more of a polar opposite of Guilty Gear. Apparently advanced players don't have to worry too much about this since they can do special moves normally. For example, for Laguna, his EX power drains opponent's life gauge with a move called Souleater, and Jin's EX move is to freeze an opponent with a move called Frost Bite, and so on.

- One important change to the system is that unlike other 2D fighters where you can't get any extra hits in when an opponent is knocked down (or only 1 - 2 hits like Vampire Savior, etc.) you CAN continuing chaining combos in this game continually unless your opponent actually does something. So think of it like Tekken/Soulcalibur with their infinite oki games. Or like Melty Bread. Whatever. :p

- Noelle (I'm using this spelling because Noel is an asexual name, and Noelle is often thought of as the feminine version, but whatever) uses her guns in various combinations and apparently she tends to combo her moves on the ground as opposed to the air, more often than not. She's described has having a tricky style to her.

again, I'll read over the mag once I buy it tonight and correct any mistakes I had.

TreIII

Barkley's Justice said:
oh capcom..why have you lead us astray with sf ex 4, i mean sf 4

Simply put? Because SF4 is a game that's primarily being marketed to Americans.

Do you see games like Guilty Gear Accent Core burning up the charts? Nope...and so that's why we got SF4 being what it is. If it weren't for the fact that SSF2X HD was being made a downloadable and based off an existing property, I'd wouldn't even imagine the top brass at Capcom green-lighting such a thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lyte Edge said:
Wow, that was quick. Is Basara X even finished yet?

Not digging those character designs at all. Even less so than Guilty Gear, but new 2D fighter means I'll be all over it.

You make it sound like GG had BAD character designs.

Couldn't really read everything going off of those scans (and Reno already touched up on the two gauges and the EX button), so I'll just post a rough translation of the 3 characters mentioned. Next week's Famitsu should have more information on the game. :D

Ragnar=the=Bloodedge
~Death god that goes against the control structure~
Supervisor of almighty “techniques,” he rebels against the Control Structure of Information of World Empty Spaces, which holds absolute power in the world. True to his reputation as “death god,” Ragnar is a fugitive that goes around the world exterminating the Control Structure’s branches. In the story, he is often seen battling with his large sword. He also has a signature move called “Soul Eater” and ability where he can absorb his opponents’ physical strengths.

Jin=Kisaragi
~Hero overflowing with power~
Born into the Noble Kisaragi lineage, he is a soldier of the Control Structure and is ranked as a major. His success during the outbreak of the Ikaruga Civil War gave him room to climb up as a divisional commander despite his shockingly young age. He appears to be constantly cool and collected, and shows indifference towards people. Deep inside however he is an ambitious and jealous man, and has a possessive nature. In the story, he shows diverse swordsmanship. He has a signature move called “Frostbite,” where he can temporarily freeze his opponent. He combines his “Frostbite” abilities with his swordsmanship during his battles.

Noel=Vermillion
~Trickster~
Despite her young age, Noel’s prominent combat capability and effective way to carry out her procedures won her the position as Jin=Kisaragi’s direct subordinate. Although Noel and Jin know each other from the military academy, Noel is not too fond of Jin. However, one mission issued by the Control Structure changed her life forever… In the game, her swift movements, along with her trickiness of her two guns, allow her to attack endlessly.

TreIII said:
Simply put? Because SF4 is a game that's primarily being marketed to Americans.

Do you see games like Guilty Gear Accent Core burning up the charts? Nope...and so that's why we got SF4 being what it is. If it weren't for the fact that SSF2X HD was being made a downloadable and based off an existing property, I'd wouldn't even imagine the top brass at Capcom green-lighting such a thing.

i just find it so interesting that between console generations somewhere, capcom has figured out how to translate classic 2d street fighter gameplay into 3d. i mean, they took 3 stabs at it already with the street fighter ex series. so what was it? what technological breakthrough between ps2 and ps3 has allowed capcom to get the 2d fighting gameplay right in SF4?

my thoughts? they havent. it's SF EX 4 and everyone is too excited to see it because they left the "Ex" off of the game's title, calling it simply "street fighter 4".

please please PLEASE let me be wrong. but i have zero faith in that game at the moment.

Capcom a) got enough power to do stylized characters without it looking like complete crap, and b) stopped trying to make SF characters move like Tekken characters.

TreIII

UC1 said:
Does BlazeBlue use polygons or sprites for the characters?

BlazBlue ("pronounced "Blay Blue") uses sprites that basically seem comparable to GGXX's level of quality, at least at this outset.

In other words, it seems like we'll be getting more of the same, and the only thing that makes it seem that they got any usage out of the TX2 hardware are the BGs. Not that I'm complaining too much...

KingJ2002

Barkley's Justice said:
i just find it so interesting that between console generations somewhere, capcom has figured out how to translate classic 2d street fighter gameplay into 3d. i mean, they took 3 stabs at it already with the street fighter ex series. so what was it? what technological breakthrough between ps2 and ps3 has allowed capcom to get the 2d fighting gameplay right in SF4?

my thoughts? they havent. it's SF EX 4 and everyone is too excited to see it because they left the "Ex" off of the game's title, calling it simply "street fighter 4".

please please PLEASE let me be wrong. but i have zero faith in that game at the moment.

I dont understand why you dont have faith... it is because of the technology they can finally have the characters move as fast as their 2D counterparts. EX wasnt as great as the other SF games because 3D fighters around that time were slow and floaty, they had very little detail and no real draw aside from the fact that they were 3D. it's been damn near a decade since the first EX game... things have changed.

first... they are building it in house, and on top of that... we've seen video... the game reminds me of SF3 in terms of how fluid ken and ryu moves.

plus there's 1UP's play test impressions from a game that's 2% done... this will be the first 3D street fighter done right.

no worries from me. i know it will be good.

Abel

A new BlazBlue scan showcasing a new character :D

credit to Suzaku at Dustloop

The game is looking pretty cool! I wonder how it will play and look in motion :)

TreIII

kay said:

STILL not moved, in the least. Look at the production date: 2005/9/16. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the likes of Taito's Psychic Force 3 (a title that has long since been either canceled or MIA) was still listed on there. :lol

I would think that such things like Capcom putting Monster Hunter 3 on the Wii, Banpresto still not in any hurry to announce any SRW for the PS3, as well as SNK Playmore still re-using KOFMI2 again for KOF MI Regulation A2, all showcase that this listing is terribly out of date, and has no real bearing on what are the current plans for a number of developers (namely in light of the PS3's upset).

But any way...nice scan. Suzaku over at DustLoop captured it from 2ch I believe...

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I love Accent Core (and Guilty Gear in general) and it remains my all time favorite fighting series.

....I'm in!! Bad character designs and all! After all, horrible character designs were the staple of the guilty gear series to begin with. It only took some years for us to become nostalgic with them.

USD

Extollere said:
I love Accent Core (and Guilty Gear in general) and it remains my all time favorite fighting series.

....I'm in!! Bad character designs and all! After all, horrible character designs were the staple of the guilty gear series to begin with. It only took some years for us to become nostalgic with them.
Wait wut

I will be all over this since it is a fighting game and Guilty Gear is a favorite of mine. Alot of people hating on the character designs. They are not that bad and Guilty Gear has really good character designs imo. Just bring this out at home and I will be happy. I don't care about what goes to the arcade anymore since the arcades are useless near me now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I love the guilty gear characters. I love their move sets, their quirky attitudes and whatever. I just don't think they're well designed. Every character is a mash up of leather, buckles, some more buckles holding metal pieces, straps, coats, and buckles holding straps and coats. With the exception of I-No, Ky, and May, I think the rest of the cast could use a redesign. But hey... that's just me.

dfyb

Banned
Farore said:
Does anyone know where can I find hi-res artwork of the Guilty Gear series?
well if you really want hi-res stuff, i've got the hookup ;)

*links removed for now*

edit: would links to scans from an art book get me banned?

Kuran

Banned
But didn't someone post a scan where they posted a GG XX sprite next to a BlazBlue sprite? I remember reading that the latter had twice the resolution.

klee123

Prime crotch said:
I guess I should have edited that, the site who listed it ins't that reliable, sorry.

Actually, if you check out the recent issue famitsu PS3, it still lists "BB by Arc system works" as an upcomming PS3 title, so a PS3 port is highly likely, but not definite at this point. Previously cancelled PS3 games like Project Psychic aren't on the list by the way.

bounchfx

FUCK YES! Finally a 2d HD figher for next gen.

is it true HD though? like, they arent bullshitting us and just scaling up normal graphics?

Top Bottom