• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blazing Chrome - A Contra style game coming to PS4, Xbox, Switch & PC

Bullet Club

Here's a cool 16-bit Contra style game that will be out in early 2019.

They released a new trailer for the game recently, it's looking good.

Contra-Inspired Shooter Blazing Chrome Arriving In 2019, Also Coming To Switch

xkoHGN6.jpg

It would be difficult to set out to make a game like Contra and not have it look exactly like Contra, so why not just lean into it instead? That's pretty much what Blazing Chrome is setting out to do and it was obvious when we first took note of it at PAX East earlier this year, but every new trailer completely reinforces it. The developer has announced that you'll be running and gunning in early 2019 and have officially announced a Switch version will come in tow.

Developer JoyMasher has announced that the game will be releasing in early 2019, just missing its 2018 target date. However, this does give time for the newly-announced Switch release to launch alongside the other versions, so you can take it on the go from day one.

Blazing Chrome releases on PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC early next year.

Game Informer

olimariOA

Banned
Looks so much like Super Contra
Give me more lives or save points and I'm in
Starting all over in SC was gutting

Shin

Banned
Thought it was some plugin to make Chrome go faster there for a sec, was excited.
Then I saw what it's actually about and looks like...

Belmonte

This is one of my most hyped games in 2019!

I would be cautiously optimistic seeing the trailers since there are many indies who nail the retro aesthetic but drop the ball on gameplay but I played previous Joymasher titles, Oniken and Odallus and they are great! It is not only visuals, they know what they are doing.

It has been ages since I wait for a Contra Hard Corps sequel and this seems to be a worthy spiritual successor.

Belmonte

A worthy sequel/spiritual successor:

I think Uprising is a good game but too diferent in characters. theme, music, everything from the original. I like the Arc System style btw, but Uprising doesn't feel a Hardcorps sequel (or prequel) to me.

The gameplay is good but not that good. And a huge issue I have is that some parts are not made with 2 players in mind.

Gander

Banned
These consoles cost too much and can do too much for me to be excited about a copy of a 16 bit era game

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Switch cartridges were invented to host such retro goodness though it has the look of early CD based systems. Either way I don't care what format so long as it has a physical release.

Last edited by a moderator:

JCK75

Finally finished Bloodstained two days ago so this came right on time..
I loved the original Contra and SuperC but the ones that followed were hit and miss beyond that, this looks like perfection.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Well it seems to be getting good reviews. Will wait for physical.

Top Bottom