• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard announces Legion has sold 3.3M copies on Launch Day

carlsojo

Legion is good. Great launch so far with a ton of content. Tauren and Night Elves getting love they deserve. Vrykul are fucking back.

World quests getting everyone out into the world. This is MMO at its finest.

Dargor

Those are some great numbers, hope they are able to keep players entertained during the expac this time.

Sadly, I won't be playing it this time around, strictly because of the lore they are pushing. I really dislike the things they have done to The Horde and its characters, to DKs and some other thingys that really rubbed me the wrong way.

But gameplay wise, it seems like its gonna be an awesome expac, what with their revamps to PvP, gear, the animations, etc.

Kaldricus

Neo Member
I mean... c'mon blizz... :p yes, there are 3.3m concurrent (or close enough) players who will be supporting you forever :p

with that being said... legion is easily the best expansion since Cata.. possibly even better than Cata.

You say that like cataclysm set a high bar to pass

very good numbers specially now-a-days when MMO genre is pretty much considered dead. We haven't had a big budget MMO release even since SWTOR and Wildstar failed miserably financially. I was there for SWTOR the game lost most of it's population in less than 6 months. Servers were like ghost towns before f2p.

Sandfox

very good numbers specially now-a-days when MMO genre is pretty much considered dead. We haven't had a big budget MMO release even since SWTOR and Wildstar failed miserably financially. I was there for SWTOR the game lost most of it's population in less than 6 months. Servers were like ghost towns before f2p.

FFXV and ESO?

Zackat

I am really enjoying this expansion so far (even if I think mage is kind of middle of the road at this point). The lore is pretty neat, and I love Suramar City and all the quests in it. Probably my favorite WoW zone ever.

Skelter

Banned
I mean... c'mon blizz... :p yes, there are 3.3m concurrent (or close enough) players who will be supporting you forever :p

with that being said... legion is easily the best expansion since Cata.. possibly even better than Cata.

I think you mean Wotlk but it's still very early.

iammeiam

Expansion is really fun so far, and what I'm hoping to be the big long-term hook for non-raiders in Mythic+ dungeons isn't even out yet. If those pan out, and 7.1 is as good as it looks, and they can somehow keep up a stream of content, I could see people maybe sticking around for a bit.

All else aside, Legion really seems like they know where they went wrong with WoD.

Budi

Still don't have this yet, I've lost most of my interest towards Wow few expansions ago. Still buy and play all of them though. The game is still great, but playing the same game for 12 years takes it's toll and i've spent unhealthy amount of time in Wow. Raiding would still interest me though, but we've had troubles getting steady lineup of 10 active raiders for some time. Joining another guild is not really an option for me, since I've been playing with friends only for the whole time. Really not interested in playing with people I don't know. It's not even half as good experience for me.

So far, Legion is better than the second half of Cata.

I think the first half of Cata was just brilliant. Very hard to beat.

The second half of Legion could be pretty disappointing yet.

I also very much liked Cata at the start, because of the challenging 5man instances. Unfortunately they nerfed them though. But as you said, Legion could end up disappointing. Wow expansions really can't be judged based on the launch alone. People liked WoD too.

scoobs

Legion is their best effort so far. I'm very impressed, and for someone who has very little time to play, its pretty cool I can sort of keep up with people through the app and world quests.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So far, Legion is better than the second half of Cata.

I think the first half of Cata was just brilliant. Very hard to beat.

The second half of Legion could be pretty disappointing yet.

Yeah Cata was brilliant until a little after the ZG patch, that's when things started going downhill fast.

I scored a free week of game time from the GMs and after checking out all the changes I gotta say I am impressed by blizzards efforts here. I don't think ill buy legion just yet (WoD was fun until the raids released and then all the fun stuff became irrelevant overnight) but for the most part class changes are great and pvp is finally fun again.

If I do get legion I think it would be to pvp.

No doubt. WoW isn't even close to hitting that extended super-hardcore only phase of its lifespan that all MMOs settle into by the end. SOE/Daybreak is still putting out Everquest expansions (or they were as of last fall) for what has to be less than 100k active players by this point.

I have to imagine that WoW will still be worth supporting for 500k-1M monthly players many years from now, albeit with scaled down, digital-only expansions (no fancy CGI intros) and fewer servers.

That game could probably run on a graphing calculator xD

Havn't played WoW since launch of Cataclysm, got Legion recently and loving the fuck out of it, dangerous levels of addiction coming back. :(

very good numbers specially now-a-days when MMO genre is pretty much considered dead.

Oh yeah forgout about FFXV but ESO is a b2p game now like GW2. I should have said p2p model is dead now. I mean WoW is still king even after bleeding subs for years.

I'm always confused by comments like these. MMOs are still insanely popular, just shifting towards more of a console market courtesy of games like Destiny and the Division. And as for subscription MMOs, both WoW and FFXIV are performing incredibly well. I'll bet ESO has a much higher subscriber number than most of us would guess too, and it's performing well enough financially through a primarily B2P model that it can manage four mini expansions per year. That's damn impressive, and as a WoW player I kind of envy that content update model.

On top of that, even at its lowest points WoW has had over 5 million monthly subscribers minimum. That is still a godly sum of profit that any game publisher would sell their soul to earn. It's inevitably closer to 10 million now that we're at the start of a new expansion.

TheYanger

I'm always confused by comments like these. MMOs are still insanely popular, just shifting towards more of a console market courtesy of games like Destiny and the Division. And as for subscription MMOs, both WoW and FFXIV are performing incredibly well. I'll bet ESO has a much higher subscriber number than most of us would guess too, and it's performing well enough financially through a primarily B2P model that it can manage four mini expansions per year. That's damn impressive, and as a WoW player I kind of envy that content update model.

On top of that, even at its lowest points WoW has had over 5 million monthly subscribers minimum. That is still a godly sum of profit that any game publisher would sell their soul to earn. It's inevitably closer to 10 million now that we're at the start of a new expansion.

The division and destiny are not really MMOs though in the traditional sense. Console players really have very little in the way of that sort of experience (just FF11, 14, and ESO off the top of my head). Stuff like PSO and Destiny and The Division is basically a large multiplayer lobby with every 'thing' you do effectively being solo or small group. It might be semantics in many cases, but it truly makes a difference.

Top Bottom