• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

Ban Puncher

tumblr_pslm5x4LSS1syy7bo_1280.jpg

Well if history taught us anything, it's that appeasement absolutely works with countries like China, given how they behave, and absolutely won't come back to bite us down the road.

So good on Blizzard, because I'm sure they and every other big business and government constantly doing everything they can to make China happy will definitely stop their expansionism, human rights violations and increasing power base any day now, and mean their ever amassing military might is definitely nothing to worry about for the future.

Zenaku

We need two things to happen from this.

1. Player protests. For everyone who plays Blizzard games to reduce their playtime and stop paying for MTX, if only temporarily. A total boycott would be impossible, but reducing engagement should be doable and they should notice the downturn.

2. Pro player protests. For every pro player in Blizzards ecosystem to shout out in support of Hong Kong, and their right to freedom.

Unfortunately we don't live in a make believe world where people have the will power or conviction to make either of those a reality.

Virex

Banned
China has infiltrated all aspects of the western world. That's why so many game companies are censoring and banning so many things. Because the Chinese want them to. I bet Sony's whole censorship bullshit is all because they want to sell more games in China and want to please the cunt communists. You see the influence of China on campuses etc. corporations etc. in the west. China has been at it for a long long time. Fuck China and fuck all communists

Blade2.0

Hu Jin tao was the better leader. He was opening China up a lot more when I first got there in 2010 they were much less censored than when I left this January. I don't think I'll ever go back except to visit old friends. Never to live and contribute to their economy. Xi's just a little bitch.

Last edited:
Pretty tough punishment for such a small interview segment, hopefully the guy has a second job outside of Hearthstone and can come back next year.

Hearthstone seems highly regulated and he’s basically banned now from making a normal living. That’s a horrible thing to be having hanging over you if you play Overwatch or whatever.

VertigoOA

Banned
Spineless. His views shouldn’t matter when they rewarded him on game performance.

Pretty sure it wasn’t stated that they could take away all of this for not kneeling to the communist Chinese leviathan.

Happy to see blizzard becoming more irrelevant as the days move forward. Maybe if they actually made game content anymore..

The big 3 (ea, Activision and ubi) are bound to create more sterile experiences as they cater to Chinese and younger generations of hipster pussies.

Next generation should be good. The old guard will fall.

Last edited:

Katsura

Waiting on Jason Schreier to do a huge exposé on this :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Inside Blizzard's culture of censorship and communist propaganda

Seriously though, at this point there is no valid excuse for not knowing ActiBlizz is as bad as EA, Ubisoft or Take2

VertigoOA

Banned
There is nothing as bad as Ubisoft.

Ubisoft recycle factory makes it feel like you’re playing an exceptionally loaded and epic game experience... until you realized their last 12 games are exactly the fucking same. Even if one has cars and the other guns... same game ... find the question mark icon.

Actually, at least The Crew 2 has variety. The Least worst of the Ubisoft imo.

Last edited:

vkbest

China has infiltrated all aspects of the western world. That's why so many game companies are censoring and banning so many things. Because the Chinese want them to. I bet Sony's whole censorship bullshit is all because they want to sell more games in China and want to please the cunt communists. You see the influence of China on campuses etc. corporations etc. in the west. China has been at it for a long long time. Fuck China and fuck all communists

Sony whole censorship is because USA not China

Virex

Banned
Yup, no more ActiBlizz games for me ever. We absolutely cannot support this shit.
Blizzard and Activision don't make stuff I want to play. Last was Diablo 2 from Blizzard. As for Activision, I haven't bought a game from them since MW1 on 360. The only game that remotely has something to do with Activision's name on it that I own is Sekiro. Luckily that is just publishing and Activision didn't fund etc. anything to do with it. Just the publishing. Activision simply doesn't make stuff I want to play. So I'm happy to not support them or Blizzard in any way. Both are shit

Was only a time, before you could also lose your job for "good opinions"
That's what people wanted. Hope they're happy with what they got.

vkbest

We don't know this at all. They simply claim it's because different cultures are offended by different things so they take the easy way out.

When Sony was censoring on West, Asia releases hadn't been censored yet. So, China is not the problem here.

Katsura

This. Of course it's morally shitty, but you're delusional if you think a company like Actiblizz is going to actively piss off the Chinese Government.
They should have simply ignored it and adopted a wait and see attitude, at the very least. I also disagree this would be actively pissing off China since it's not Blizz making the offensive statement

Holammer

I'd love to ask Blizzard an Overwatch lore question 'Late April Fools' style at Blizzcon.
"Is the Communist China in this setting a pluralistic democratic nation respecting LGBT rights". Just to watch the fuckers squirm on stage, with more work the question could be formulated in such a way it's impossible to answer without pissing off the CCP.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They should have simply ignored it and adopted a wait and see attitude, at the very least. I also disagree this would be actively pissing off China since it's not Blizz making the offensive statement

For one, nobody knows whether or not someone contacted them immediately and demanded action. Honestly, the scale of the reaction here suggests it.

Even if they didn't, choosing to simply ignore something that the government would quite obviously not like is not going to do Blizzard any favours with them.

Again, is it pretty? No, not at all. Does it make sense from a business perspective? Yeah. Not saying what they did was nice, but it seems like an obvious move to me.

Katsura

For one, nobody knows whether or not someone contacted them immediately and demanded action. Honestly, the scale of the reaction here suggests it.

Even if they didn't, choosing to simply ignore something that the government would quite obviously not like is not going to do Blizzard any favours with them.

Again, is it pretty? No, not at all. Does it make sense from a business perspective? Yeah. Not saying what they did was nice, but it seems like an obvious move to me.
Right and customer outrage is also something that would obviously happen and rightfully so. Time will tell if Blizz desperate moves to compete in China will make up for all the lost goodwill in the west. Personally i think it's a very short sighted, investor driven, strategy that will ultimately lead to their downfall

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Right and customer outrage is also something that would obviously happen and rightfully so. Time will tell if Blizz desperate moves to compete in China will make up for all the lost goodwill in the west. Personally i think it's a very short sighted, investor driven, strategy that will ultimately lead to their downfall

"Customer outrage" applies only to anyone that was already buying Blizzard products and now won't, specifically because of this. As this forum (rightly so) spends most days pointing out, this kind of outrage usually comes from people that don't actually buy the products. I'd wager that group of people is less than every Blizzard product owner living in China.

Top Bottom