• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Also a reminder that Blizzard let one of their employees face racial harassment and didn't do anything

The worst part was that the virtuesignaling places that claim to care about things like workplace harassment and #metoo didn't give a shit about his story.

Yahoo News: Former Blizzard employee pens post alleging racism and abuse

Most gaming sites didn't pick this up. Kotaku didn't investigate it. This was right on the heels of the fake Overwatch player harassment story and the Riot fiasco. They don't give a shit if you aren't "the right victim".

Trojita

Could have done it better, but it still works.

wEkuSNq.jpg

EGX2657UUAA4iVn.jpg

EGV4HoKWoAA9tjB.jpg

Today's reminder that American corporations are selling out American values for Chinese money every day now. It's just recently that with the NBA thing and now this that people are starting to notice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Today's reminder that American corporations are selling out American values for Chinese money every day now. It's just recently that with the NBA thing and now this that people are starting to notice.

Been doing like they are now since the bills that were signed into effect by Clinton in the 90s during his lame duck year exodus.

Trojita

Going through twitter I saw this take

"Something something this has happened before so who cares. Something something you are a racist for saying China is the evil doing this. I'm going to bring up "orientalism" for no reason. Also vidya games and the military am I right?"

Going through twitter I saw this take

"Something something this has happened before so who cares. Something something you are a racist for saying China is the evil doing this. I'm going to bring up "orientalism" for no reason. Also vidya games and the military am I right?"

So bad faith actors are trying to make this a racism thing. Right on cue. They are literally shooting protesters in the streets. But yeah, to criticize that is now racist cause it hurts the financial interests of a gaming company.

How are they going to square this circle?

Edit: For fellow progressives, please keep this in mind when a company espouses to be "socially responsible." It's bullshit, it's calculated PR, and ever changing to position themselves for more money.

Last edited:
I wouldn't really say it's speculation. The rule Blizzard claims was violated isn't worded in a way that suggests it only covers what players say or do during an event. Offend the wrong "portion or group of the public" (i.e. China in this case) and you're fucked, no matter how or where you do it.
Don't bring a company you work for into disrepute, is widely used in the UK and I assume (as I've worked for American companies) that the same applies to American law. Why should this guy be treated differently?

The NBA just had the broadcast of all its preseason games in China cancelled because they defended one of their GM's right to criticize China. Which he did on Twitter.

China don't care what platform you use, they want to censor all dissent regardless of where it comes from.

And the west wants a homosexual, immigrant led, open gender gang bang(OK that's sensationalised for dramatic effect, you get the point though). What we choose to do in our society is our choice, I can't blame or hate on China for trying to do what they think is best for their country.
When is the "right" time to stand up for freedom?

When they come for you, and there is nobody left to speak for you?

Who's freedom is being violated? You're trying to push your values and beliefs on to another country which is in the midst of a little turmoil.

If the Mexicans invaded America and Russian citizens backed Mexico, would you say "hey, it's OK, back whomever you want"? No.

Considering how big this getting and how news outlets are covering it all around the world I'd say it was very good place and time.

The same news outlets that pushed for the Joker movie to turn into an Incel-led cinema massacre?

Define "All around the world". Are the Africans, Middle-easterners, Bulgarians and Mongolains up in arms?

They took away his prize money too. Shit.

Somebody make Overwatch characters the new Winnie the Pooh. See how fast China bans that game. Maybe that'll get ActiBlizzard's attention.

So bad faith actors are trying to make this a racism thing. Right on cue. They are literally shooting protesters in the streets. But yeah, to criticize that is now racist cause it hurts the financial interests of a gaming company.

How are they going to square this circle?

Edit: For fellow progressives, please keep this in mind when a company espouses to be "socially responsible." It's bullshit, it's calculated PR, and ever changing to position themselves for more money.
EGX6xApXYAEmD_0

lukilladog

This is how Tencent operates, they are the digital strong arm of the Regime. I´ll never support them with my money.

FMXVII

Stop pretending you won't buy diablo 4 xD
I will sacrifice my cat to be able to play that game.

Fuck standards gimme diablo 4

Well, if Diablo 3 wasn't enough to rile up a hard Reu
Don't bring a company you work for into disrepute, is widely used in the UK and I assume (as I've worked for American companies) that the same applies to American law. Why should this guy be treated differently?

And the west wants a homosexual, immigrant led, open gender gang bang(OK that's sensationalised for dramatic effect, you get the point though). What we choose to do in our society is our choice, I can't blame or hate on China for trying to do what they think is best for their country.

Who's freedom is being violated? You're trying to push your values and beliefs on to another country which is in the midst of a little turmoil.

If the Mexicans invaded America and Russian citizens backed Mexico, would you say "hey, it's OK, back whomever you want"? No.

The same news outlets that pushed for the Joker movie to turn into an Incel-led cinema massacre?

Define "All around the world". Are the Africans, Middle-easterners, Bulgarians and Mongolains up in arms?

I fail to understand how what you are saying contradicts my standing for freedom.

Are you asserting that Russia hypothetically supporting a Mexican invasion of the U.S.A. would somehow be an expression of freedom?

Are you asserting that backing a hostile military takeover of a sovereign nation is an expression of freedom?

Please, elaborate.

The hole you are digging for yourself is not quite deep enough to get through to China, much their firewalls and adherence to Nazi level Facism via 1984.

Your post: Nein Tencent Ate Der Fuhrer?

Last edited:
Well, if Diablo 3 wasn't enough to rile up a hard Reu

I fail to understand how what you are saying contradicts my standing for freedom.

Are you asserting that Russia hypothetically supporting a Mexican invasion of the U.S.A. would somehow be an expression of freedom?

Are you asserting that backing a hostile military takeover of a sovereign nation is an expression of freedom?

Please, elaborate.

The hole you are digging for yourself is not quite deep enough to get through to China, much their firewalls and adherence to Nazi level Facism via 1984.

Your post: Nein Tencent Ate Der Fuhrer?

Maybe the Russia mexico things was a bad example. Our freedoms are ours, not anyone elses and visa versa.

The Americans have no right to interfere with China's business on their doorstep. The Yanks would expect and even demand, rightfully so, the same level of respect if the situations were reversed.

brap

Banned
Fuck china fuck xi jinping's winnie the pooh lookin ass, fuck commies, and fuck commie sympathizers
v60fY9U.png

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Ol'Scratch

If anyone is having a crisis of conscience and needs to unburden themselves of that evil company Blizzard's items and stuff I, being the benevolent fiend that I am would be more than happy to unburden you and take them off of your hands so that you may sleep better and not support such a terrible company. This includes but is not limited to in game gold, items, overwatch items, swag shorts, posters, soundtracks and anything else that is needed. No thanks is needed, I am here for you.

FMXVII

Maybe the Russia mexico things was a bad example. Our freedoms are ours, not anyone elses and visa versa.

The Americans have no right to interfere with China's business on their doorstep. The Yanks would expect and even demand, rightfully so, the same level of respect if the situations were reversed.

This isn't about the U.S. interfering with "China's business".

This is about U.S. businesses whoring themselves out to anti-humanitarian governments for monetary profits, and, in doing so,whoring out America and her values by their being U.S. businesses.

It is ugly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Fuck china fuck xi jinping's winnie the pooh lookin ass, fuck commies, and fuck commie sympathizers
v60fY9U.png

动态网自由门 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Free Tibet 六四天安門事件 The Tiananmen Square protests of 1989 天安門大屠殺 The Tiananmen Square Massacre 反右派鬥爭 The Anti-Rightist Struggle 大躍進政策 The Great Leap Forward 文化大革命 The Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution 人權 Human Rights 民運 Democratization 自由 Freedom 獨立 Independence 多黨制 Multi-party system 台灣 臺灣 Taiwan Formosa 中華民國 Republic of China 西藏 土伯特 唐古特 Tibet 達賴喇嘛 Dalai Lama 法輪功 Falun Dafa 新疆維吾爾自治區 The Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region 諾貝爾和平獎 Nobel Peace Prize 劉暁波 Liu Xiaobo 民主 言論 思想 反共 反革命 抗議 運動 騷亂 暴亂 騷擾 擾亂 抗暴 平反 維權 示威游行 李洪志 法輪大法 大法弟子 強制斷種 強制堕胎 民族淨化 人體實驗 肅清 胡耀邦 趙紫陽 魏京生 王丹 還政於民 和平演變 激流中國 北京之春 大紀元時報 九評論共産黨 獨裁 專制 壓制 統一 監視 鎮壓 迫害 侵略 掠奪 破壞 拷問 屠殺 活摘器官 誘拐 買賣人口 遊進 走私 毒品 賣淫 春畫 賭博 六合彩 天安門 天安门 法輪功 李洪志 Winnie the Pooh 劉曉波动态网自由门

Someone dub Pooh in Mandarin in this.

Last edited:

Inviusx

Blizzcon is less than a month away. Fortunately for them these things cycle out of the headlines so quick that next week everyone will have forgotten.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, it's all about money. Blizzard could care less about the political beliefs. Chinese market is just too lucrative to give up.

That being said though, very poor judgement from the 2 casters. They knew beforehand what he was going to do and they essentially gave him the platform to do so.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They should have simply ignored it and adopted a wait and see attitude, at the very least. I also disagree this would be actively pissing off China since it's not Blizz making the offensive statement

Adam Silver is heading to China as we speak to bend the knee because the employee of a NBA team made one tweet. He doesn’t run the team, he doesn’t employ the person who made the tweet. This was on Blizzard as soon as the guy said it.

Right and customer outrage is also something that would obviously happen and rightfully so. Time will tell if Blizz desperate moves to compete in China will make up for all the lost goodwill in the west. Personally i think it's a very short sighted, investor driven, strategy that will ultimately lead to their downfall

never EVER abandon the customers who got you where you are. seems an obvious business rule to me. they will alienate their main base who stuck with tjem for 20+ years and have to start completely fresh with a new market who might not even care for them. morons

lyan

The Nazis put Jews in concentration camps thought that was best for their country (Out of context for dramatic effect I know but you get the point).

Top Bottom