• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard bans pro Hearthstone player a year for his support of Hong Kong protesters

Ol'Scratch

I personally think that American needs to fix their own shit before throwing stones at other countries for their issues. Go fight that good fight hashtag warriors.

Ol'Scratch

All of these people throwing hashtags, memes and stupid assed youtube videos to capitalize on hits convincing themselves that they are just like the people putting their ass on the line protesting in china. "We support you!" *changes facebook and twitter avatar in solidarity* *posting from a chinese phone*

Ya know, I was fine with them for deleting his video. But taking his prize money, banning him for a year? DICK MOVE BLIZZARD.

yep, it's the prize money thing that's just pure bullshit. even if china specifically requested it (which i seriously doubt)...

The Alien

Banned
Maybe we can trick Trump into Tweeting something that will piss off Winnie Xi Poo enough that our freedoms will be accidentally preserved?
Honestly, the scary part is I'd trust him to do that over any of the "others". They all seem to be on the corporate payroll of most of these prostitute companies (Facebook, Google, etc.).

Scary times. 👻

Ol'Scratch

Is this resetera?
People are genuinely acting like Blizzard started blasting March of the Volunteers on all channels at the same time as giving the Chinese Army handjobs and shooting at protesters. With guns, not...perverts.
Is the banning harsh? Absolutely. Did the kid know it would probably happen? Yes. He could have used countless other ways to support the cause without doing it on Blizzard's official platform. Now people have made him a martyr so there is that and he did not even have to die. There was a rule about this, because if it happens once it will become like the fucking academy awards where everyone goes on some soapbox the minute they get screen time.
The people deleting the accounts are the most amusing to me, mostly because it is an embarrassingly shallow gesture on many of them because they have not touched a blizzard product in a while even though they had an account and also for the fact that you just pissed away any money spent on any of those games. Yes indeed you showed them. Companies with international player bases need to stay out of political rhetoric.

Last edited:

Corrik

See relatively no issue with Blizzard's response. They had rules previously set. He broke the rules. He was punished as stated by the rules. He knew he was breaking them when he did it.

Ol'Scratch

People freak out because "the right" takes things and weaponizes them like Pepi and now the OK gesture among other things, now all of the hashtag heroes out there are fucking doing the same thing with Winnie the Pooh, a freaking kids thing now being squeezed into political horse shit.

mortal

Gold Member
People are genuinely acting like Blizzard started blasting March of the Volunteers on all channels at the same time as giving the Chinese Army handjobs and shooting at protesters. With guns, not...perverts.
Is the banning harsh? Absolutely. Did the kid know it would probably happen? Yes. He could have used countless other ways to support the cause without doing it on Blizzard's official platform. Now people have made him a martyr so there is that and he did not even have to die. There was a rule about this, because if it happens once it will become like the fucking academy awards where everyone goes on some soapbox the minute they get screen time.
The people deleting the accounts are the most amusing to me, mostly because it is an embarrassingly shallow gesture on many of them because they have not touched a blizzard product in a while even though they had an account and also for the fact that you just pissed away any money spent on any of those games. Yes indeed you showed them. Companies with international player bases need to stay out of political rhetoric.
qVr7MPk.jpg

brap

Banned
People freak out because "the right" takes things and weaponizes them like Pepi and now the OK gesture among other things, now all of the hashtag heroes out there are fucking doing the same thing with Winnie the Pooh, a freaking kids thing now being squeezed into political horse shit.
Well if the tiny little peepee chinese man didn't get all buttflustered about some retarded 100 year old cartoon in the first place this never would've happened.

People need to raise a stink at Blizzcon. Let's see if Blizzard will start kicking paying customer out of the con if they say things which are pro-HK while they are there.

Last edited:

Corrik

If he spoke out against HK, he wouldn't have gotten banned. This is a one sided thing because they don't want to anger the bear looking cunt ruling china.
I don't think you can say that. If applied fairly, he would have also. If such a discrepancy appears, then you have a valid criticism. I doubt the rules will be broken again due to the harshness of the penalty applied.

Katsura

Adam Silver is heading to China as we speak to bend the knee because the employee of a NBA team made one tweet. He doesn’t run the team, he doesn’t employ the person who made the tweet. This was on Blizzard as soon as the guy said it.
Only because they let China dictate the agenda. They're actively taking on responsibility which isn't theirs to begin with

Papu

My NDA for working with Blizz some years ago is no longer valid, so FUCK their management for enforcing a exploitive system preying on players with addiction issues. Fuck them for selling out to a totalitarian regime. Mike‘s okay though.

shaddam

Is my favorite chinese corporate shill and reeeee admin ZhugeEX guy reporting on this? I would check it out, but he blocked me on twitter:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Tumle

Is this resetera?
Is this communist China?

What does taking a stand against a company, that supports human rights abuse via there actions , have to do with political alignment?
Unless of course, that you are a communist Or a fascist?

I think trump is a dumbass, but I whole heartedly support his tax on Chinese products. China is not a great country to have as the leading economical powerhouse they are... not that I think that the “companies can do no wrong” attitude of the US is much better..

sol_bad

Is this communist China?

What does taking a stand against a company, that supports human rights abuse via there actions , have to do with political alignment?
Unless of course, that you are a communist Or a fascist?

I think trump is a dumbass, but I whole heartedly support his tax on Chinese products. China is not a great country to have as the leading economical powerhouse they are... not that I think that the “companies can do no wrong” attitude of the US is much better..

I never said anything about politics. But over in eeeeeraland they love to announce that they have deleted something or asked to be banned or have an account closed by a company that has done something evil. I think the kids call it virtue signalling, is that it?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Sell waid

Flintty

Is this resetera?

The difference between this place and Era is that you’re quite welcome to oppose the protests against what Blizz have done, without copping a ban. Heck you can probably support Blizzard’s actions and continue to post here freely.

And just like you have that freedom, others here are free to disagree and whilst some responses might seem OTT, isn’t it great that we can all discuss/argue here in open without a ban?

So no, this isn’t Resetera.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Only because they let China dictate the agenda. They're actively taking on responsibility which isn't theirs to begin with

yea, that’s part of the deal of working in China. You go there you play by their rules. China makes it their responsibility guess what it is their responsibility.

Don't bring a company you work for into disrepute, is widely used in the UK and I assume (as I've worked for American companies) that the same applies to American law. Why should this guy be treated differently?

I guess it comes down to whether you view speaking out against an oppressive dictatorial regime as something that should be considered disreputable. If you do, then I really don't know what else to say.

Last edited:

Katsura

yea, that’s part of the deal of working in China. You go there you play by their rules. China makes it their responsibility guess what it is their responsibility.
That doesn't change my initial point though. They're not actively pissing off China

diffusionx

Gold Member
That doesn't change my initial point though. They're not actively pissing off China

It very much does change your initial point. Blizzard can’t ignore this. Anything that happens during a Blizzard event that pisses them off is Blizzard’s problem. They get told to fix it or GTFO. They can’t just pass off responsibility on the streamer and be like “wasn’t us.” Like I said the NBA had nothing to do with the Morey tweet but the tweet became their problem.

China isn’t the US and isn’t Europe.

Katsura

It very much does change your initial point. Blizzard can’t ignore this. Anything that happens during a Blizzard event that pisses them off is Blizzard’s problem. They get told to fix it or GTFO. They can’t just pass off responsibility on the streamer and be like “wasn’t us.” Like I said the NBA had nothing to do with the Morey tweet but the tweet became their problem.

China isn’t the US and isn’t Europe.
But it's not ActiBlizz actively pissing them off. As for whether or not they can ignore this, how would you know?

Top Bottom