• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard hiring for Classic Games (SC, D2, War 3) to "restore them to glory"

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
This is presumably for the re-releases and/or remasters.

Also noteworthy since this is explicitly under a new "Classic Games" job section, which is decidedly different than the "Unannounced Projects" section that was hiring for a new Warcraft title.

Blizzard said:
SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER, CLASSIC GAMES

Compelling stories. Intense multiplayer. Endless replayability. Qualities that made StarCraft, Warcraft III, and Diablo II the titans of their day. Evolving operating systems, hardware, and online services have made them more difficult to be experienced by their loyal followers or reaching a new generation.

We’re restoring them to glory, and we need your engineering talents, your passion, and your ability to get tough jobs done.

So if you like wearing many hats, know small teams are the most effective, and look forward to challenges that will create millions of new adventures for our players: we would love to hear from you.

RESPONSIBILITIES
-Make gameplay first again on modern operating systems.
-Create conditions for experiences that look as good as they play.
-Own implementation and curation of features new and old.

-Combat hacking to improve multiplayer.
-Diagnose and fix all the things: crashes, deadlocks, overflows, heap corruptions, etc.
Source: http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=15000XZ

Nibel

Didn't people find some updated WC3 icons already? Edit: found it

But yeah, this is exciting. All of those games are phenomenal. Blizzcon is just around the corner

So... they haven't been working on the Warcraft 3 remake up to now?

Also, Rock 'N' Roll Racing remake with online multiplayer please.

TheMoon

I would definitely buy StarCraft and Diablo II again with some improvements. The nostalgia is strong with this one.

Fliesen

Whenever i wanna give Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT another playthrough, i'm put off by how badly parts of it have aged - especially the fact that it's a 4:3 aspect ratio.

While i have all Blizzard games associated to my battle.net account already, i'd gladly pay for a remaster.

Starcraft (1!), on the other hand, has aged much more favourably, imho.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

D2 + LoD is my gold standard for isometric loot heavy ARPGs.

//ARCANUM

I hope we don't end up having to rebuy, even if we have keys attached to our account. But if they're proper "remasters" for things like 16x9 and whatnot, I could be okay paying a small amount.

i would pre-order at a significant premium a remake of the Warcraft I-III and TFT story based on a remade WC3 game

just putting that out there

Zuljin's troll lumber camp and his farm-raiders at snowy Hillsbrad and Tarren Mill a la Warcraft II ....

i got axe for you!

Jblanks

A Diablo 2 + Lords of Destruction remaster that retains the colours, tones, proportions, and overall art direction of the original, along with the music and sound effects, would be super fucking dangerous to my time.

tumblr_lt1a476ufi1qht847.gif

Indrid Cold

Unconfirmed Member
Eh I don't think d2 needs a remaster. More like proper mod support. Help revive the phrozenkeep scene. How about a remake of d3 instead? ROS was ok but the game is so far from what made d1/2 great.

Dr Dogg

While I've kind of had my fill with Starcraft over the years Diablo II cleaned up and not shifted towards the tone, design and colour pallet of III would be bliss. Warcraft 3 on the other hand I'd happily pay whatever even if it's a marginal touch up just as an excuse to get lost in that again.

Henrar

Please make WC1, WC2 and Diablo 1&2 workable on Windows 10. No graphics updating. I want them just to work and be exactly like originals.

Yeah, they're all great games, no doubt about that.

But I'd argue that these games don't need "restoring them to glory", they ARE the glorious period of Blizzard and the franchises haven't reached the same level since then.

Maybe I'm just getting old, but I don't see the need for modern Blizzard to remaster these classics, and I especially wouldn't want them to remake them.

On the one hand, this is potentially great news. On the other hand, this means WC3 is probably less far along than we (or I) thought.

Here's to hoping they sweeten the deal for people who already have these games on their Battle.net account.

I read this as "convert to IOS/Android platform."

Although I would love to be wrong.
They would probably mention UI/UX side of things though.

KKRT00

Please make WC1, WC2 and Diablo 1&2 workable on Windows 10. No graphics updating. I want them just to work and be exactly like originals.

Why would You want them be like originals? UI are annoying, stash is too small, levels are too tied sometimes and some balance changed left a lot of to be desired.
Anyone who played modded version of those games will agree.

Also i dont understand why Blizzard block HD mod for Diablo 2, playing it in 800x600 is not fun.

This
diablo-2-graveyard.jpg

vs this
Diablo-2-highres-8.jpg

Hmm, i would totally fine with them using their current engines from SC2 and D3 (the latter with some reduced colors) for such a thing.

Make updated models, port the campaign/content and release them digital for about 20 bucks each.
And while you're at it, why don't you "restore" Warcraft 1 and 2 "to glory", too?
Warcraft 2 was a blast back then, it deserves such a treatment!

An updated version of the engine would help the game immensely. It's rough to play this day and age without mods at 800x600 and 24 FPS.

Tenebrous

This could be the only way all my friends would get together to play d2 again.

I'm all for this.

Yup.

I'd rather them work on Warcraft 1&2 than 3, though. 3 can still be bought, and runs like a dream on Windows 7 PCs, with the only issue being the lack of widescreen support.

Warcraft 2 can't be bought new. Warcraft 1 I've had for years, but it's so old at this point that playing it sometimes feels like a chore. Throwing it into the SC2 engine wouldn't hurt.

-MD-

They mentioned they were doing this years ago, honestly expected at least one or two remasters to be out by now.

WC2 HD would be day 1 for me.

Raide

Prettier D2 sounds great but after D3, D2's combat is archaic and boring. Not sure I will ever just go back for some eye-candy and a few tweaks. W3 on the other hand is a Day 1 purchase.

Would love to revisit D2+LoD as well as classic SC1.
Thing about both these games: I never played them online, only on LAN. Too bad my, singleplayer only Lvl 76 Necromancer perished on some old harddrive.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Whenever i wanna give Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT another playthrough, i'm put off by how badly parts of it have aged - especially the fact that it's a 4:3 aspect ratio.

While i have all Blizzard games associated to my battle.net account already, i'd gladly pay for a remaster.

Starcraft (1!), on the other hand, has aged much more favourably, imho.

I downloaded WC3 the other month and the game does support widescreen resolutions now, albeit stretched rather than proper widescreen. It also works perfectly in Windows 10. If they do widescreen suport properly it would be awesome.

That said, proper support and updates for Diablo 2 would be amazing. The game is still awesome and I'd gladly play it again.

Fliesen

I downloaded WC3 the other month and the game does support widescreen resolutions now, albeit stretched rather than proper widescreen. It also works perfectly in Windows 10. If they do widescreen suport properly it would be awesome.

That said, proper support and updates for Diablo 2 would be amazing. The game is still awesome and I'd gladly play it again.

so, it doesn't support widescreen :p

If stretching 4:3 -> 16:9 were to count, any game would "support" widescreen, as that is a feature pretty much every 16:9 monitor offers ;)

Henrar

Why would You want them be like originals? UI are annoying, stash is too small, levels are too tied sometimes and some balance changed left a lot of to be desired.
Anyone who played modded version of those games will agree.

Also i dont understand why Blizzard block HD mod for Diablo 2, playing it in 800x600 is not fun.

I wasn't talking about resolution. I was talking about remaking them in 3D for example.

Tenebrous

so, it doesn't support widescreen :p

If stretching 4:3 -> 16:9 were to count, any game would "support" widescreen, as that is a feature pretty much every 16:9 monitor offers ;)

Still, that aside, I'm curious to know what other elements of WC3 feel outdated to you? I know my brother still plays the multiplayer, and I revisit the campaign every few years without fail. While true widescreen support would be amazing, I think the rest of the game holds up pretty damn well.

Audette

I'm truly curious if this does mean expansion to mobile platforms. I would get satisfaction from the Blizzard classics in my pocket or tablet. If this just means resolution fixes and anti-hack measures, that's okay too. I still have D2:LoD on my PC.

I hope this also pertains to WC2... I love me some WC2

Koh

Provided they do this justice, this is what remastered should be. Outdated but loved games. Not the silly 1 Year old game with improved framerate.

I'm in until they disappoint through design changes or sub par graphical updates.

Top Bottom