• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Legally Opposes Valve Trademark Over DOTA Name [Up: Trial Schedule]

Card Boy

Banned
Good, i always thought it was wrong of Valve to trademark the DOTA2 name. By all means call the current DOTA2 something else but don't steal a name that belongs to the community.

I have less of an issue of it going towards Blizzard, but i hope Blizzard does what Riot wanted to do and make it for the 'community'.

Blizzard vs. Valve. Begun the Master Race War has. Blizzard the Jedi master corrupted by Activision's dark side. Sad times, indeed.

Whatever happened to Blizzard Dota? They gave up or something?!

They hired Eul, the guy who came up with the name and original map, and Ice Frog, the guy who made the most contributions.

What next, Gaming Age suing us over having GAF in our name?
did they hire those who made WC3 and B.net, which obviously and without doubt was the only reason DotA became as popular as it is now?

DotA wasn't the sole creation of Ice Frog or Eul, its success was heavily dependent on the assets of Blizzard and WC3 creation tool and also B.Net popularity.

Would DotA become nearly as popular if it was an Age of Empires map? (well, not that it was possible to begin with).

As an outsider to PC gaming, this just reminds me of how difficult it has to be in terms of allowing high level modding. It sounds, to me, like the original idea and assets came from a Blizzard game, but Valve brought the modder in house and developed a game from their own internal assets.

This could actually be an interesting court case.

It's obvious as to why Riot didn't want it to go as it has a direct impact on their business, but it doesn't have any on blizzard.

I hope they lose and then Valve proceeds to counter sue. (I don't know what I'm saying).

Valve has actually trademarked the DOTA name.

Blizzard is trying to launch something called Blizzard DOTA which no one will play. Valve could should countersue them to shut that shit down, just to rub it in.

skullwolfgp

Neo Member
mj-laughing.gif

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
did they hire those who made WC3 engine, which obviously and without doubt was the only reason DotA became as popular as it is now?

DotA wasn't the sole creation of Ice Frog or Eul, its success was heavily dependent on the assets of Blizzard and WC3 creation tool and also B.Net popularity.

This certainly didn't stop TripWire with Red Orchestra or Valve with Team Fortress or Alien Swarm.

It's not stopping Unknown Worlds with Natural Selection either.

Also, the person who made WarCraft 3's map editor works at ArenaNet now, as do the people who made Battle.net.

Mxrz

The dickery is on Valve's part for the name. Valve's game isn't exactly rocking the originality either when it comes to the art/character design. Seems like that would be one of the things they'd want to be wary of.

I'd like to note that Riot is owned by the world's third largest internet company behind Amazon and Google, so they definitely didn't give up for lack of cash.

Yeah, they didn't give up due to lack of cash. I would assume that Valve just had a stronger case to claim the trademark since both Eul and Icefrog work for Valve now. Or something.

Grayman

Valve has actually trademarked the DOTA name.

Blizzard is trying to launch something called Blizzard DOTA which no one will play. Valve could should countersue them to shut that shit down, just to rub it in.

Blizzard can call it Offense of the Ancients. All the characters are lawyers who play lawyer ball.

DarkKyo

Holy shit! Blizzard you are an asshole. Would not be surprised if Activision made 'em do it. Hasn't Gabe said he loves World of Warcraft? Cold move Blizzard, and that's some really bad press.

Tenck

did they hire those who made WC3 and B.net, which obviously and without doubt was the only reason DotA became as popular as it is now?

Would DotA become nearly as popular if it was an Age of Empires map? (well, not that it was possible to begin with).

Should id sue Valve for Team Fortress then?

Alex

[The dickery is on Valve's part for the name. Valve's game isn't exactly rocking the originality either when it comes to the art/character design. Seems like that would be one of the things they'd want to be wary of.

Warcraft and its art is all so incredibly
tacky
original!

jediyoshi

The dickery is on Valve's part for the name. Valve's game isn't exactly rocking the originality either when it comes to the art/character design. Seems like that would be one of the things they'd want to be wary of.
You seem to be confusing it with every other MOBA.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They hired Eul, the guy who came up with the name and original map, and Ice Frog, the guy who made the most contributions.

What next, Gaming Age suing us over having GAF in our name?

As stated before, IceFrog did not make the character models nor the games engine. The hero concept introduced by Blizzard was the only way this thing ever took off. I'm not saying Blizzard should own it either. Sure, legally, you could say IceFrog is the 'owner', but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Why does it need to be called DOTA? After so many games took inspiration from it and came up with their own names? Is Valve just gonna hire Michael Toy next and say they own the name 'Roguelike'?

As stated before, IceFrog did not make the character models nor the games engine. The hero concept introduced by Blizzard was the only way this thing ever took off. I'm not saying Blizzard should own it either. Sure, legally, you could say IceFrog is the 'owner', but that doesn't mean I agree with it. Why does it need to be called DOTA? After so many games took inspiration from it and came up with their own names? Is Valve just gonna hire Michael Toy next and say they own the name 'Roguelike'?

If they trademark it, yes?

blame blizzard for not recognizing their own communities talents and thank valve for rescuing these dev teams.

as it's been said before team fortress, alien swarm, and now dota are all better off because valve came in and hired these teams and expanded on their talents.

because valve doesn't want to see the legacy tied to the name disappear?

This certainly didn't stop TripWire with Red Orchestra or Valve with Team Fortress or Alien Swarm.

It's not stopping Unknown Worlds with Natural Selection either.
The problem here, isn't with the game, it is with the name.
It's not as if Blizzard is saying why they are releasing a game similar to DotA, but why they are calling it DotA.

And those games aren't nearly as popular as DotA, even none of valve games are nearly as popular as DotA.

Also, the person who made WarCraft 3's map editor works at ArenaNet now.
MW3 didn't suddenly stop selling cause the original creators left; not one single person is normal responsible for the quality or performance of a game, sometimes not even a team.

It seems to me that they probably thought about this before they sunk millions into the development of Dota 2. Should this copyright suit ever arise, I assume they already have an ironclad case for why they can do it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

The RTS hero concept was introduced in Warlords Battlecry II first.

The problem here, isn't with the game, it is with the name.
It's not as if Blizzard is saying why they are releasing a game similar to DotA, but why they are calling it DotA.

And those games aren't nearly as popular as DotA, even none of valve games are nearly as popular as DotA.

MW3 didn't suddenly stop selling cause the original creators left; not one single person is normal responsible for the quality or performance of a game, sometimes not even a team.
Um, all the games I listed use the same name as the original, that's the point.

I don't see what your second point has to do with your argument.

Tenck

Because it's basically the same as *gasp* Dota!!!*gasp*

Have you played LoL or HoN? Although MOBAs, they all play differently. Why should Euls and IceFrog have to part with what they keep working on?

Card Boy

Banned

Yep. Not sure why people are arguging otherwise. Call the game something else like what S2 and Riot did, don't trademark a name that isn't yours. Heres a bad analogy, It's like if I wanted to trademark the name The Holy Bible 2.

WC3/B.net were the backends that made DotA possible. They were not what made DotA DotA.

That would be like, well, more than enough people have already pointed out the sheer absurdity of developers suing other developers who made sequels to mods. You need to take a long, hard look at just how crazy you sound right now.

Yeah, it's probably the legal department.
So, BOps and MW3 has been made by legal department?

It's like blaming Bethesda games bugs on the programmers.

That would be like, well, more than enough people have already pointed out the sheer absurdity of developers suing other developers who made sequels to mods. You need to take a long, hard look at just how crazy you sound right now.
again, I am not saying that why they are making a sequel, but why they are naming it DotA 2?

As if they have any right over DotA 1, or if such a thing exists to begin with.

Yep. Not sure why people are arguging otherwise. Call the game something else like what S2 and Riot did, don't trademark a name that isn't yours. Heres a bad analogy, It's like if I wanted to trademark the name The Holy Bible 2.

Well, we've already had Hamlet 2 so clearly this is the next step.

Top Bottom