• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard looking for MMO experience for Diablo 4 as a plus (not a requirement)

I think it just means more mp stuff like shared worlds that most ARPG are currently doing now instead of just feeling alone as you log in. You'll see other parties or solo players out in the zones.

^If you haven't played Path of Exile, there's a new expansion coming real soon. The game gives me the same feels as D2. Highly recommend. It even is getting a console version soon on XB1!

If they wanted to make D4 a pure MMO, it wouldn't be in the Nice to Have section. Like others have said, making the game more similar to Destiny in format could make sense.

Speaking of POE, the only monetization of this kind of game I'll accept is pure cosmetics (maybe exp boosters too, but no item drop increases). One hint of P2W and I'm fucking out.

Tahnit

Banned
Omg a diablo mmo action rpg could be amazing! Raids with bosses that have mechanics. Tank dps and heals. But in the style of diablo? Count me in!

StereoVsn

It's probably going to be an "MMO" like Destiny and The Division. With which I would be okay.
I am guessing could also be like Neverwinter with small raids/campaigns you could do and added new content on constant basis (paid and free DLCs). Game would be GaaS and would likely be built for much more rapid content generation/updates/events.

As long as they still have SP elements I am in.

Instro

I don't know how Destiny works, but I wouldn't mind something akin to Guild Wars 1 in terms of online interaction. Servers for towns/cities for players to communicate/interact, everything outside of that is instanced for you/your party. The current system of either joining games randomly, or hooking up with friends through battlenet feels very basic.

I'd imagine that even if Diablo 4 was going to be as MMO-ey as Diablo 3 it would be a plus to have MMO experience when working on it.

That said, I also wouldn't be surprised if they went in a more Destiny-ish "MMO lite" direction with Diablo 4. It's a fairly logical evolution of the franchise.

My only meaningful take-away form this, is that Diablo 4 is a waaaaaaays off....

I think I'll try to just forget about it for a few years.

PrimeBeef

The story in diablo is complete ass after D3. If they're going to make another MMO I think it should be a brand new IP.
The story of Diablo has always been complet ass IMO. This coming from someone who has played all the Diablo games and expansions when they were released, and have read the novels, and have Cain's book. At the very basic, if it were to be a traditional MMO, you have the heaven vs hell with the humans caufht in the middle. I could see two main factioms with the nephalim being like WoW Pandaren. Story could easily be set in the past or future to allow for something new lorewise.

With that, I think it will be more akin to PoE, Lost Ark, and/or Devilian in regards to it's MMO fratures.

Maximo

Not surprising they are not going to simply release a standalone full price single player game and leave it at that, every game needs a way to keep making money off it.

Orayn

It's probably going to be an "MMO" like Destiny and The Division. With which I would be okay.

And, you know, Diablo. It helped establish a lot of conventions that the MMO genre uses now, so it's no surprise that it's considered MMO-adjacent.

Top Bottom