• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard looking for MMO experience for Diablo 4 as a plus (not a requirement)

So by the job postings at Blizzard alone you know they work on a new Diablo game and not just a new expansion. But a couple of those job postings give a hint at what they are possibly planning to do with Diablo 4:

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/o8Rq5fwe

PRODUCTION DIRECTOR, UNANNOUNCED PROJECT
Diablo•Irvine

Blizzard Entertainment is seeking a Production Director to bring the Diablo franchise into the future. We're looking for a well-practiced producer, deeply familiar with the art of game development, our industry, and the AAA environment.

Pluses

A passion/interest for developing online video games
Massive multiplayer game development experience

Strong knowledge of the software / game market and platforms

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/o4Cr5fwW

SENIOR GAME PRODUCER
Diablo•Irvine

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/oW5p5fwf

SENIOR LEVEL DESIGNER
Diablo•Irvine

https://careers.blizzard.com/de-de/openings/oDSe5fwy

CREATIVE DIRECTOR
Diablo•Irvine

Blizzard Entertainment is looking for a seasoned creative director to join our Diablo team as we look to the future! The ideal candidate will understand the core of what makes the Diablo universe resonate with players, and will be able to collaborate with art and design to rally around a consistent vision of world, story, and tone.

There is also tons of jobs for classic games remasters. So the Diablo 2 and WarCraft 3 refreshing rumors are true too.

Apt101

It could just mean they want to make it even more multiplayer focused. Like that Marvel Heroes (is that still the title?) game.

I would be willing to bet more of a Destiny-type pseudo-MMO game more than a proper MMO, they seem to have decided to stick with WoW for the long term when they cancelled Titan.

Could be a disaster or really cool.

Im open for both. A traditional Diablo or a new MMO from the house of Blizzard.

I would give World of Diablo a try.

Kalor

It seems like a natural evolution for Diablo. Sort of similar to the way Marvel Heroes or Path of Exile do it.

Thoraxes

I mean, honestly they could just take it in the direction of Destiny by adding a social space or something, and it'd hit that requirement easily.

hoserx

Sounds great to me. I hope it happens. I suppose it would alienate people in the process, but I think it's where the game needs to go.

Woorloog

Banned
Seems to me it would be more likely it will have MMO-like stuff rather than being MMO proper. More MP focus, something like that.

I sure hope they don't get rid of randomized locations. Diablo 3 has already too many static areas.

gogosox82

That would be disappointing if true but maybe massive multiplayer could be referring to the drop in/drop out nature of diablo.

lazygecko

Doubt it would be a fully fledged MMO in a traditional sense. Probably just incorporating more aspects of it to further iterate on the social aspect of the series. Blizzard already gave up on making another big MMO when they canceled Titan.

I would be willing to bet more of a Destiny-type pseudo-MMO game more than a proper MMO, they seem to have decided to stick with WoW for the long term when they cancelled Titan.

Shared world thing where you run into small numbers of others and team up for super hard/complex fights while not going all in on MMO structures feels like a much better fit.

akileese

They plan to charge a monthly fee for... Diablo?

We literally have one line in a job description for a game in development (or maybe even pre-development). Let's hold our horses on outlandish speculation for a game that we know literally nothing about.

It's entirely possible that it's an MMO in the sense that there's a massive character lobby and you can split into games from it with other players. As long as it plays like Diablo I'm in. They did a really good job fixing up D3.

Krosia

Doubt it would be a fully fledged MMO in a traditional sense. Probably just incorporating more aspects of it to further iterate on the social aspect of the series. Blizzard already gave up on making another big MMO when they canceled Titan.

This. Diablo was always an online experience, I wouldn't read too much into this.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I, uh, wouldn't read into that super literally.

They're nigh assuredly going in the direction of the modern """MMO""" (think Destiny and The Division) as opposed to making it like World of Warcraft.

Diablo 3 is already always online (on PC, its biggest platform), with huge amount of concurrent active players, so a production director needing to understand massively online gaming is not really that surprising, because the need for these experience could also apply to networking and server infrastructure.

I, uh, wouldn't read into that super literally.

They're nigh assuredly going in the direction of the modern """MMO""" (think Destiny and The Division) as opposed to making it like World of Warcraft.

Maybe the world is more connected and there is towns where players meet. I dont think they turn it into a WoW 2.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Maybe the world is more connected and there is towns where players meet. I dont think they turn it into a WoW 2.

Yes. I would also expect things tuned more as group content, maybe daily quests, a stronger service backbone, that kind of stuff.

People don't really make $60 AAA games that are just like Diablo 3/Borderlands anymore. Most everything in this genre now has a heavier online element.

mazillion

Sounds interesting. They have to innovate somehow because the genre has already peaked. They would have to do something different to be a worthy sequel imo.

I feel they should do a StarCraft MMO and call it Galaxy of StarCraft or something along those lines. I'm really craving for a Sci Fi MMO. That may just be me, not sure really.

Storywise, this would have to be a substantial jump in time, either forward or backwards from the current Diablo events, right?

Prequel Diablo with a younger Deckard Cain? Ancient Nephalem/Horadrim?

spootime

The story in diablo is complete ass after D3. If they're going to make another MMO I think it should be a brand new IP.

Bruno

I'm sure Diablo 4 will be more like Lost Ark in the sense that it's an MMO "hybrid" Diablo and not a full blown MMO. I feel like it's the next evolutionary step for ARPG's as long as it's done correctly.

Woorloog

Banned
Storywise, this would have to be a substantial jump in time, either forward or backwards from the current Diablo events, right?

Prequel Diablo with a younger Deckard Cain? Ancient Nephalem/Horadrim?

Indications are they want to wrap up Leah story-line.

Yeah. No, she ain't dead-dead. Just semi-dead, apparently, like Illidan.

Besides, Malthael released Diablo back to the world along with the other Evils so...

EDIT Reaper of Souls ending also indicates the Nephalem might be tempted to evil so it is not impossible we'll see Nephalem villans in Diablo 4.

Activate 1-day Exp. Shrine: 300 Infernal Stones*
Activate 7-day Exp. Shrine: 1800 Infernal Stones*
Activate 30-day Exp. Shrine: 7000 Infernal Stones*

*Infernal Stones can be purchased on the Blizzard Store

Top Bottom