• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard Real ID Screws Blue Bashiok

Who I would now presume is pretty green :lol

Google Translation
After we mentioned earlier about Blizzard's plans with the Real ID reported , all forum users first and last name will be displayed in the future that there is also a first victim of the system: Community Manager Bashiok. Although it is not yet displayed the Real ID in the forums, so he wanted to defend the new system in the forum and posted his real name.

Within minutes, we knew almost all the important stages of his life, his phone number, address, age, preferences, etc. And even the name of his wife, the roommate in his home and the school of his children could be identified. In addition, some users published pictures of his house - Google's Street View is thanks. This obviously shows that the Real ID is quite questionable.

Bashiok now put his Twitter account. His phone number was also blocked. All of this should therefore have come to Bashiok very surprising, which he did not expect during the publication of his real name. Whether Blizzard will reconsider the matter with the Real ID, but again is rather questionable.

:lol Kind of immature but people should have the choice to hide their personal information if they choose so. There are creeps out there that will stalk others.

derFeef

CrushDance said:
:lol Kind of immature but people should have the choice to hide their personal information if they choose so. There are creeps out there that will stalk others.
If there is the choice, who would publish their names?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
glaurung said:
Easy solution: don't display Blizzard employee names.

Equality for some.

Exactly what they'll do, complete with an accompanying bullshit rationalisation, probably something along the lines of "This method allows all community members to very easily identify moderators and administrators."

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So has anybody stolen Dustin Browder's identity yet?

Or Chris Metzen? Mike Morhaime?

Or is it more likely that people are just trying to prove a point?

It's very likely that if someone put that much effort into digging up info on "Blue Bashiok" the screen name, they'd get just as much info on him. The internet is a scary place.

CTLance

Poor guy, but at least it's kind of hilarious to watch from the sides.

"See? There are no sharks in thisAAAAAAAAH IT'S GOT MAH LEG!"

I kind of wish it wasn't a run-of-the-mill community manager. Imagine the hilarity if the guys proposing and/or implementing RealID got burned like that.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The Orange said:
It's very likely that if someone put that much effort into digging up info on "Blue Bashiok" the screen name, they'd get just as much info on him. The internet is a scary place.
Real names being posted lets us do it the easy way, though.

Victrix

*beard*
ZealousD said:

Or is it just more likely that people are just trying to prove a point?

The latter, but there's a difference between 'these are some people you know of who made this game' and 'Oh by the way, if you want to post about the latest internet dragon you've slain, you have to do so under your real name for future employers to google'

I find this entire debacle hilarious on all levels though. Trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem.

Want to clean up your forums? Ruthless fucking moderation. _Ruthless_

Dynoro

Victrix said:
The latter, but there's a difference between 'these are some people you know of who made this game' and 'Oh by the way, if you want to post about the latest internet dragon you've slain, you have to do so under your real name for future employers to google'

I find this entire debacle hilarious on all levels though. Trying to solve a problem that isn't a problem.

Want to clean up your forums? Ruthless fucking moderation. _Ruthless_
This is not about cleaning up the forums - this is about facebook integration and social networking

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dynoro said:
This is not about cleaning up the forums - this is about facebook integration and social networking
all the more horrible.

JaseC

The only thing more ridiculous than this whole debacle is the amount of people who actually believe Blizzard's reasoning behind the decision.

V_Arnold

I hate these people "trying to prove a point".
They have tried "to prove a point" time and time again, last time it was about hacking Ubisoft's servers for that DRM stuff. Now this.

All they have proven is that they are immature childs, and THAT is the only real drawback to this system.

JaseC

V_Arnold said:
They have tried "to prove a point" time and time again, last time it was about hacking Ubisoft's servers for that DRM stuff. Now this.

All they have proven is that they are immature childs, and THAT is the only real drawback to this system.

2zxrt6o.jpg

ZealousD said:

Or is it more likely that people are just trying to prove a point?
1) These people have not antagonistically made themselves a target.

2) I'm sure they get harassed plenty.

BocoDragon said:
Real names being posted lets us do it the easy way, though.

Yeah, of course that's true, the first step is now made by Blizzard instead of these guys. I was just saying, as has been proven countless times, a screen-name is not exactly bullet-proof.
I don't really support this policy, because if they wanted it this way, they should have made it like that since the start. It's a grab for the Facebook market though, and lord know they're not going to let money slip through their fingers.

CTLance said:
Poor guy, but at least it's kind of hilarious to watch from the sides.

"See? There are no sharks in thisAAAAAAAAH IT'S GOT MAH LEG!"

I kind of wish it wasn't a run-of-the-mill community manager. Imagine the hilarity if the guys proposing and/or implementing RealID got burned like that.

Bashiok is kind of a big deal as far as community managers go. I'm sure this has caused some internal waves at Blizzard

you're right. there are so many more effective ways to push back against things you don't agree with when dealing with these companies suchhhh aaaaasss.....hmmmm

nothing like hitting them where it hurts

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
With blizzards recent policies and the mess of bnet 2.0 i have never ever seen a company so intent on trying to ruin a golden franchise before, its astounding, im not sure any other game company could get away with these things AND come out the other side.

Dynoro

UnblessedSoul said:
Why is this such a problem? When facebook is much much worse in terms of privacy information
If you sign up to Facebook you know your details are going online. Playing WOW had not such stipulation for five years and now your name is out there for all to see if you want to play the game (not just use the forums).

DarkJC

Mr Cola said:
With blizzards recent policies and the mess of bnet 2.0 i have never ever seen a company so intent on trying to ruin a golden franchise before, its astounding, im not sure any other game company could get away with these things AND come out the other side.

Activision has already done their best to ruin one golden franchise, what's another one or two?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
DarkJC said:
Activision has already done their best to ruin one golden franchise, what's another one or two?
I know :( its sad that they are using sc2, which is as dead cert a seller as hl3, to peddle their new wave of shitty service.

Well i guess there is still valve

V_Arnold

ElectricBlue187 said:
you're right. there are so many more effective ways to push back against things you don't agree with when dealing with these companies suchhhh aaaaasss.....hmmmm

nothing like hitting them where it hurts

Hitting them where it hurts? They develop games that these players supposedly like to play.
I do not know, I would not bite the hand that feeds me. And by "feeds me", I do not mean that little money I gave them which is about 2-3 nights out's worth, but the entertainment I get out of their games for YEARS, and in SC/DII-s cases, a DECADE.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Mr Cola said:

While I've been disappointed with Blizzard ever since WotLK launched, but I think a lot of the bullshit that's been happening lately is Activision's fault. Rumor has it Blizzard is pretty pissed about this RealID stuff too, but Activision is flexing their muscle and won't budge. It's clear Activision wants to use Blizzard and bnet to launch a Facebook clone, whether Blizzard really wants to or not.

soqquatto

V_Arnold said:

I tought that blizzard's most vocal fans being immature was already a proven fact. do you really want to give a large number of immature people an excuse or the tools to harass you? you should look at this phenomena without the urge to judge the people that are causing all this. let's say you will end up playing a blizzard game and let's say you will post on their forums with your real identity. now, assholes will be inevitably assholes, and if you happen to get one of them on the wrong side, either with an open insult or with a completely innocent remark, you will have to fend them off no matter what your opinion about the blizzard audience will be. this kind of show against the blizzard poster is just "future to come". after all, when you post a personal ad on some board or on a newspaper you rarely give out all your details because you don't know wh's going to read them. this happened well before the internet came about. now it's everything amplified thousandfold. you type "no, you're getting it all wrong" or just a "LOL" and suddenly a mad poster somewhere already knows your telephone number and is subscribing you to all kinds of unwanted services.

yes it's all because of immature people but blizzard didn't create them, the internetS didn't create them and you have to deal with them since you were born. do you really need to get them more tools?

this is like walking at night around Inglewood and screaming at the top of your lungs "COME AND GET MEEEEEEE FUCKERRRRRS".

Meeru

Banned
Because blizz sees the success with facebook they are trying to integrate it into their games..but its hard to say that games and social networking mix.

Mr Cola

There is only one solution! Blizzard devs leave, form a new studio and create Startrade, the ultimate rts for the new ages

Feature Hotoss Verg and Derren

This information could have been found whether or not people knew this guy's real name. Sure, it may not have been quite as easy, but people are out of control with their conclusions about this. Wow obsessives have taken the opportunity to display their perverse nature by blatantly trying to ruin people's lives (which as I said, could have been done even without real ID) and everyone is acting like they proved something. So retarded. The real culprits here are google earth, facebook, twitter, the phone book, and all the sick morons trying to make kind of statement, not real ID. Go open a phonebook, omg omg names everywhere!! We're all exposed. :lol

Deputy Moonman said:
This information could have been found whether or not people knew this guy's real name. Sure, it may not have been quite as easy, but people are out of control with their conclusions about this. Wow obsessives have taken the opportunity to display their perverse nature by blatantly trying to ruin people's lives (which as I said, could have been done even without real ID) and everyone is acting like they proved something. So retarded. The real culprits here are google earth, facebook, twitter, the phone book, and all the sick morons trying to make kind of statement, not real ID. Go open a phonebook, omg omg names everywhere!! We're all exposed. :lol

what did Google Earth do? :lol

Deputy Moonman
Moron = me.
Don't forget that.
(Today, 11:56 PM)
Reply | Quote

edit: do you perhaps mean streetview and google maps?

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
The Faceless Master said:
some people would.

And they can, right now. They can name their characters after themselves or have a signature with their name in it if that's important to them. The bottom line is people shouldn't be forced into this.

Jonnyram

So, let me get this straight, you guys all think it was totally fine for these idiots to post Bashiok's family info online, just because he posted under his real name!?

Oooookay.

Dynoro

Jonnyram said:
So, let me get this straight, you guys all think it was totally fine for these idiots to post Bashiok's family info online, just because he posted under his real name!?

Oooookay.
I think its totally moronic what these people did and they made everyone against this change look like a looney. Some people have every reason for protecting their identity online and Blizzard are forcing you to make your name public - I will not log into WoW until this is changed as I do not want my name given out

JaseC

Jonnyram said:

Oooookay.

If you're going to accuse everybody in this thread of supporting such actions, at least read the bloody thing first.

Jonnyram said:

Oooookay.

no. but i'm not exactly feeling bad for him either since he did it to himself

Top Bottom