• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard secretly watermarking World of Warcraft screenshots with user data

From slashdot:

"A few days ago I noticed some weird artifacts covering the screenshots I captured using the WoW game client application. I sharpened the images and found a repeating pattern secretly embedded inside. I posted this information on the OwnedCore forum and after an amazing three-day cooperation marathon, we managed to prove that all our WoW screenshots, since at least 2008, contain a custom watermark. This watermark includes our user IDs, the time the screenshot was captured and the IP address of the server we were on at the time. It can be used to track down activities which are against Blizzard's Terms of Service, like hacking the game or running a private server. The users were never notified by the ToS that this watermarking was going on so, for four years now, we have all been publicly sharing our account and realm information for hackers to decode and exploit. You can find more information on how to access the watermark in the aforementioned forum post which is still quite active."

http://games.slashdot.org/story/12/...secretly-watermarking-world-of-warcraft-users

Prt Scrn guys!

printscreen.jpg

FinKL

This is pretty big I would think. Now kind of makes you wonder what other games do this. Wonder if D3 did it as well.

Filth

Why is this bad?

It's like buying a camera and secretly there's a hidden message with my name, address, and all sorts of information I didnt want on my photo. And they were secretly doing it. Its a total breech of privacy in my opinion.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That's...kind of fucked up. They could have at least put it in the TOS (though I'm sure they figured no one was going to read it anyway, so they didn't bother)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I swear, Blizzard is constantly pulling shit like this, infringing on users' privacy in the name of "better service," and they never see as large of a user backlash as any other firm would if they tried the same thing.

I don't see what good your user ID, time, and realm IP does to anyone but Blizzard. Remember that you log into Battle.net with your email address, not your user ID. Your user ID is pretty useless.

That's...kind of fucked up. They could have at least put it in the TOS (though I'm sure they figured no one was going to read it anyway, so they didn't bother)

It is in the TOS I believe. It's part of the section where they describe what they send back to the servers. It's the same info.

Oersted

It's like buying a camera and secretly there's a hidden message with my name, address, and all sorts of information I didnt want on my photo. And they were secretly doing it. Its a total breech of privacy in my opinion.

dont buy androids or iphones. but yes, its bad.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
By userID, they mean the email adress we are using for our Battle.net account? At least my password and randomly generated authenticator number isn't in there. :lol

scy

It not being in the TOS is the biggest surprise. I mean, I didn't know about this watermarking but I'm not entirely shocked there's some kind of user data in it :|

No more anonymous sex for you!

Man, there's going to be a lot of hilarious WoW screenshots that people are going to go decode now.

ultron87

They're making your UserID publicly available without your consent.

To be clear, this isn't your username. It is just a unique ID associated with your account. So it could be used to figure out which characters are on the same account, but not much else.

XEROWUN

Neo Member
They're making your UserID publicly available without your consent.

this was argued a while back when the character profiles told people in real time what the person was doing in game. the conclusion, like it or not is, wow owns everything even your UserID which means they can do what ever they want with it, though stupid how it is.

stuminus3

I don't see what good your user ID, time, and realm IP does to anyone but Blizzard. Remember that you log into Battle.net with your email address, not your user ID. Your user ID is pretty useless.
*Nothing* personal posted on the internet is useless. User IDs are not as anonymous as you think.

Ferrio

Banned

Except it's not. Your analogy only works if it's just your name, that's the only personal information in SS.

Sadly, cameras do that already.

hym

Banned
I doubt any 3rd party has a use for this but what I am worried about is that people creating exploit guides or pretty much anything Blizzard doesn't like are unknowingly also telling them who they are simply by sharing a screenshot.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I don't see what the problem is. And if you dont' like it, then don't play their games?

Top Bottom