• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard sends cease and desist letter to Nostalrius (vanilla WoW private server)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Nostarlius was a passion project that wanted others to experience the "vanilla" like experience that WoW had over a decade ago. There was never no known donate shop for it. The playerbase grew from hundreds to thousands concurrent players at any given time. I guess it was becoming too much of an issue for blizzard since popular streamers were playing it and talking about it all the time.(Not allowed to stream it on twitch due to TOS).

Here's some of the excerpt from the site

Yesterday, we received a letter of formal notice from US and french lawyers, acting on behalf of Blizzard Entertainment, preparing to stand trial against our hosting company OVH and ourselves in less than a week now. This means the de facto end of Nostalrius under its current form.

As soon as we received this letter, we decided to inform the team and players about the future of Nostalrius, where we have all passionately committed our time and energy as volunteers.

Nostalrius Begins PvP, Nostalrius Begins PvE & Nostalrius TBC and all related servers will be definitively shutdown at 23:00 server time on the 10th of April 2016, if our hosting company keeps the server online for that long. It feels kind of unreal, but we want to continue to serve our players as we did, and the best we can in the remaining time.

https://en.nostalrius.org/

After the news hit, many of the RETAIL WoW servers are getting DDOS and the general discussion by paid players are getting deleted due to new threads about Nost.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/984270/

People on Nost saying their goodbyes with each other, its not often you see a community come together in the current WoW:

gG0bp8B.jpg

Small group
Current Org:

Timeless

How long is the gaming community going to put up with this? WoW is one of the most significant games of the 2000s, and you can't play it in its original form anymore. Blizzard's robbery of history is on par with all the fires and censorship that kept so many classic films from being preserved.

Gamers and gaming companies are willingly giving up gaming history, and demonizing those who dare to protect it.

The game is still active and regardless of whether or not they took donations, people were allowed to play the game for free. I completely understand Blizzards point here.

Never heard of this private server network, but what's most surprising is that the hammer didn't come down sooner considering what happened to the developers of bnetd and glider.

XenodudeX

How long is the gaming community going to put up with this? WoW is one of the most significant games of the 2000s, and you can't play it in its original form anymore. Blizzard's robbery of history is on par with all the fires and censorship that kept so many classic films from being preserved.

Gamers and gaming companies are willingly giving up gaming history, and demonizing those who dare to protect it.
How the fuck do you steal something that belongs to you?

This is super lame I loved vanilla wow and while I do play on Live it was great to log in and remeber why I fell in love with the game in the first place.

I don't understand why blizzard is shuting this down,I don't think many people that played on this sever liked the way the game changed over the years and this was the only place for them to play the game they used to love.

It would be great if blizzard opened up a vanilla sever that way everyone wins.

Tell me more about how Blizzard is stealing!

Oh boy cherry picked quotes taken out of context!

He's referring to the preservation of games as an art form. Private servers are the only way to play the original game.

Blizzard didn't steal anything, no, but they're negatively effecting the preservation of the original game.

I'm not surprised, though. They were absolutely LOSING subs to Nost.

Doesn't this assume that they don't have the assets preserved themselves? I think there's a difference between the desire to preserve history and the demand that their version history be made playable and available to you and everyone else, as a cultural imperative.

Christof

Neo Member
The official forums seem to be crazy with the deletion of threads.

One example (paraphrased because it was deleted so fast):
Title: "Why are threads being Deleted"
OP: "respond with new thread title as this will be deleted"

This is sad news because me and some friends were playing it and taking a stroll through memory lane. Honestly, Blizzard should have done this years ago. In fact, I was saying during the first expansion, The Burning Crusade, that Blizzard should keep original servers for people that wanted to experience vanilla wow and have an option to transfer that character (for a fee) to a current server.

It was something else going into Orgrimmar and seeing it packed. Shame that is gone now.

I agree with you. The ability to play an unpatched version or a vanilla version of the game should be allowed and not punished.

Enthus

Maybe Blizz should make some servers that aren't running the current (terrible) iteration of the game? Clearly there is a market for it.

Acerac

Banned
It was one hell of a ride. I'm incredibly disappointed... but I had fun. I'm just sad I got in too late to hit 60.

I would gladly pay Blizzard for the same privilege as this server provided me, unfortunately they seem unwilling to run such a server. It's a horrible shame, it's the most fun the game has ever been. This ain't nostalgia, I started in BC.

The game is still active and regardless of whether or not they took donations, people were allowed to play the game for free. I completely understand Blizzards point here.

this is the truth. vanilla wow/tbc are the only versions of wow im interested but im sure theres a lot of monthly subscriptions theyre missing out on due to this.

Peachpies

If it was still around it wouldn't be history.

EvB

Oh boy cherry picked quotes taken out of context!

He's referring to the preservation of games as an art form. Private servers are the only way to play the original game.

Blizzard didn't steal anything, no, but they're negatively effecting the preservation of the original game.

I'm not surprised, though. They were absolutely LOSING subs to Nost.

It doesn't need to be used to be preserved.
Museums have archives full of Preserved things not visible to the public.

As you say, Activision will be losing money because of it , plus they are likely to have it preserved also, so I don't think it's a valid excuse to keep it running.

WoW nowdays is so boring compared to vanilla when it comes to social aspect. I briefly tried WoD and I can honestly say I had more player interraction in chat during my first Deadmines visit in vanilla than all the dungeons I did leveling up to 100 combined.

I don't even know if stuff like Barrens chat exists, I didn't see anything like it during my time.

It's sad since I think many things are much better than in Vanilla but that alone destroys it. The wonder of the first year or so of WoW will never come back and that can't be helped but it feels like Blizzard actively has been destroying the social side of the game.

WoW nowdays is so boring compared to vanilla when it comes to social aspect. I briefly tried WoD and I can honestly say I had more player interraction in chat during my first Deadmines visit in vanilla than all the dungeons I did leveling up to 100 combined.

I don't even know if stuff like Barrens chat exists, I didn't see anything like it during my time.

Barrens chat kind of exists. It's a mixture of grade and Tanaan general chat, filled with racism and memes. So Barrens chat plus racism

MrDaravon

Doesn't this assume that they don't have the assets preserved themselves? I think there's a difference between the desire to preserve history and the demand that their version history be made playable and available to you and everyone else, as a cultural imperative.

This. The vanilla WoW game files obviously exist outside of Blizzard for preservation's sake. However preservation doesn't mean everyone gets to play the game for free, especially when said game is still actively running and it basically becomes piracy. It's a much more gray area regarding older games/consoles in the say 16-bit and prior generations, but WoW is still an actively run and paid game by the developer/publisher. Arguing that they should offer Vanilla servers is perfectly fine and reasonable, but this doesn't also mean everyone who wants to should get to play it for free. Once (if?) WoW ever goes completely down then yeah go nuts.

Inviusx

I agree with you. The ability to play an unpatched version or a vanilla version of the game should be allowed and not punished.

I agree that preservation is important but a private server is just a way for people to play WoW for free. A private server like Nostalrius will be important when the official servers are shut down in 2089 but until then it's no more than an avenue around paying for WoW.

Xiaoki

Maybe Blizz should make some servers that aren't running the current (terrible) iteration of the game? Clearly there is a market for it.
There is clearly a market for people that want to play Vanilla WoW ..... for FREE.

Yeah, these private servers can get thousands of players but add a $15 a month fee and watch them disappear.

Acerac

Banned
I agree that preservation is important but a private server is just a way for people to play WoW for free. A private server like Nostalrius will be important when the official servers are shut down in 2089 but until then it's no more than an avenue around paying for WoW.

You say this like current WoW is at all comparable to what Nostalrius was providing.

I'd gladly pay to play Vanilla Wow, I wouldn't dare pay for the current shit Blizzard is pumping out.

Arguing that they should offer Vanilla servers is perfectly fine and reasonable, but this doesn't also mean everyone who wants to should get to play it for free. Once (if?) WoW ever goes completely down then yeah go nuts.

Precisely. I've been playing since launch, and I have a lot of great memories from Vanilla. I think the idea of original progression servers have proven to be good ideas via EQ, so Blizzard doing the same thing would be cool.

I love the concept of vanilla servers, or servers that replicate how a game was on a past version. It'd be great if some devs took a page out of Runescape's book and made Old School WoW, Maplestory, and others.

jonjonaug

There is clearly a market for people that want to play Vanilla WoW ..... for FREE.

Yeah, these private servers can get thousands of players but add a $15 a month fee and watch them disappear.

Paying a 15 dollar a month fee for a game that by definition wouldn't have real updates is ridiculous.

EDIT: Holy hell 15 dollars a month is the actual WoW subscription fee? Why would anyone pay 180 dollars a year to play one game?

Not necessarily. People most likely playing on this server are looking to play wow vanilla. Wow has changed so much over the years I'd hardly say they're close enough where the vanilla version is simply the current version minus content. Clearly there is an audience that wants to play vanilla wow. You can't say for sure that when the server closes those players will just go play the regular wow. Also the monthly sub is blizzards way of getting players to pay for regular updates. If it was merely a way to access the game and there were no content updates a lot less people would be willing to pay for it.

shoreu

nah it's not that deep this isn't some passionate campaign we need to fight for. It's blizzard telling people they can't use their assets and other shit for a private server.\\

Probably because they want you to move on/ or they may finally cave in and make it for us.

Grief.exe

Blizzard should take advantage of the demand in that case.

Would be interesting to have your character exist in multiple servers, have a version level 100 on live and then can also log into the same character on a classic server. It wouldn't be exceedingly expensive to implement after the initial investment as there would be no need for content development.

Id pay for a vanilla server, take it up to lich king over time and wipe it every few years and start again.

I wonder if there is a way to run WoW vanilla, and like single player, what I mean is basically be a gm and see the content/lore like it was a single player game (obviously you'd have to OP yourself). I never did get to see a lot of dungeon content back in the day.

Yeah... I don't think so.

People who love WoW are STARVING for content. It lead them in droves to servers like Nostalrius.

All current content in WoW is literally;
- Hellfire Citadel
- PvP
- Tanaan's 4 daily quests, 1 weekly quest
- Mythic 5 mans
- Garrisons and Shipyard

If millions of people are (myself included) paying for THAT, a Vanilla server could carve out a successful niche at $10 to $15 a month.

rav

This. The vanilla WoW game files obviously exist outside of Blizzard for preservation's sake. However preservation doesn't mean everyone gets to play the game for free, especially when said game is still actively running and it basically becomes piracy. It's a much more gray area regarding older games/consoles in the say 16-bit and prior generations, but WoW is still an actively run and paid game by the developer/publisher. Arguing that they should offer Vanilla servers is perfectly fine and reasonable, but this doesn't also mean everyone who wants to should get to play it for free. Once (if?) WoW ever goes completely down then yeah go nuts.

Preserving the state of it is part of the point. MMOs by nature are multiplayer. Which is different than an emulated (single player) game. And since Blizzard doesn't maintain a snapshot of the early days that people can access / view, I say there is a gap there that if someone else is filling for posterity / archive sake, why not?

I do agree with your comment about if WoW ever goes down, then by all means go for it. -- However, it's a part of WoW history that no one except those there at the time can report how it was, and with an MMO that you have the possibility of replicating how it was and new people can actually experience it.
I don't consider this in the same realm of piracy. but if you do consider it in the same realm of piracy, you can't actually acquire or make use of the old content any longer - you have to update to the latest to play on live.

Edit: This is actually a huge can of worms from this point of view, I'm going to have to think about it more and I'll update / reply again when I get a chance.

Jarnet87

The Everquest progression servers have shown a high number of players are willing to pay to play old content as it was. Plus it's not like you pay an additional fee, it would be part of your monthly subscription.

I don't know what I'd do if SOE or Daybreak or whoever formally went after Project 1999.

SoE and P99 work together, or at least have a friendly relationship. Can't see why it would change with Daybreak in charge. P99 was going to release Velious in May but they changed it to August not to step in the toes of the new round of progression servers launching

fester

Banned

Great first post and I totally agree.
We need the EFF to take up a case like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom