• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzard working on a new First Person game

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Why not? MMO FPS has been done before. This could be create your own hero. Not that I want that. I want a blizzard open world/sandbox survival game. I feel like that genre can use a dose of blizzard magic.

Because Blizz tried exactly that with Project Titan and it didn't work. Instead they used the concepts to create Overwatch.

It being an Overwatch campaign doesn't really make sense, as Overwatch was salvaged from Titan. Has to be a new IP, can't really see first person working with their current lineup..

Stevey

Hope it's Starcraft related.

I couldn't care less about Blizzard lately.

bmhayP6.gif

Anticol

Banned
What successful franchise or game are they gonna take as "inspiration" and do the same game but with the blizzard twist?

Syf

Banned
So just played the final pack of the Nova Missions DLC for SC2 and, without spoiling, the story is in a spot where Ghost would be a plausible next step.

Ending spoilers:
Nova has gone rogue with her crew to fight on their own terms. The ending scenes strongly suggest there's more coming for Nova. Valerian says "Let her go. For now."

That ending combined with the fact that at BlizzCon they said no more story content is coming for SC2.. yeah. Don't take it as any more than speculation, but the pieces are in place as the story stands right now.

Because Blizz tried exactly that with Project Titan and it didn't work. Instead they used the concepts to create Overwatch.

So they failed before. That doesn't mean it would never work. Far from it. They failed to make a shooter back in the day, starcraft ghost, and now... we obviously see them succeed at it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So I think "creatures" here suggests it's probably not Overwatch, but the rest of the IPs should still be in the running: https://careers.blizzard.com/en-us/openings/oKO95fww

SENIOR TECHNICAL ARTIST, ANIMATION
Unannounced Project•Irvine

Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an exceptionally skilled technical animator to join us in developing a character and animation pipeline.

Your charge will be to create rigs and tools for animating a wide range of characters and creatures. You will help guide modelers and animators in the creation of this ensemble, supporting the crisp gameplay and stunning visuals that are hallmarks of Blizzard’s work.

Our ideal candidate has extensive experience rigging on one or more successful AAA console or PC games. We are looking for someone with extensive experience with 3D animation tools, great collaboration skills, and a passion for Blizzard games.

You’ll be part of a team just as excited about making great games as you are, and together we’ll work to create some of the most epic entertainment experiences ever.

Requirements

Comprehensive knowledge of rigging in 3D content creation software, such as 3ds Max or Maya
Strong technical background and a positive attitude
Highly self-motivated and collaborative, able to help drive a character from start to finish
Ability to communicate effectively with animators, character artists, and engineers
Detail-oriented problem solving ability
Expert-level knowledge of Python, MEL, or C++
Keen eye for good model topology
Experience with technical simulation, such as physics or cloth
A minimum of 3 years’ experience in game character rigging
Passion for playing and making video games

Pluses

Experience with games that use a first-person perspective
Modeling and animation skills in 3D content creation software
Knowledge, understanding, and familiarity with Blizzard universes and lore

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's obviously a Warcraft FPS.

I'm joking, but I wish I wasn't. I'd play that.

tbm24

I'd like a first person Warcraft game. I couldn't get into Skyrim too much but I'm an absolute sucker for the Warcraft world.

Bry0

Why would they need new tools to create content, if it is using Overwatch engine?

Nothing in that description seems to imply that it is related to the first person game specifically. For all I know that position could be for the next Diablo.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hmmmmm ...

Question is why would they make a competitor to ovw ?

Unless it's SP only ?
I would expect an online oriented FPS that plays pretty different.

Left 4 Dead or Battlefied would be good examples of that.

Why would they need new tools to create content, if it is using Overwatch engine?
Would it help if I said that the Overwatch team is mass hiring tools engineers to expand the engine just for their own needs?

There's a LOT you need to do with inhouse tools as you get new ideas.

thefil

Blizzard is moving so fast since they finally stabilized their WoW expansion production. Felt like they were just trying to keep pace with that game for a decade and now they can actually do multiple things at once.

Kssio_Aug

I'd love a 1st person co-op focused game from them. But I don't know if they will aim to this direction since they're putting Destiny 2 in their platform. In the other hand, I don't think they'd canibalize Overwatch with another competitive shooter.

Katori

A full-on Overwatch 2 (or a better name, but functionally OW2) would actually work great. They could continue rotating events annually in OW1, satisfying the existing player base...and then build something way better (definitely with some kind of campaign/mission mode) and at the same time upgrade the platform, and potentially even change their business model.

Then, this new game with its robust new framework (which is guaranteed to be one of the most-hyped sequels ever and convert anywhere between almost all and all of the existing fanbase) can be updated in perpetuity, WoW-style. It's what I expect Bungie does if Destiny 2 does well...Destiny 2 becomes the 10-year platform that Bungie wanted the original Destiny to be but couldn't because of technical reasons.

Overwatch started as a smaller project, and you can see that. It also targets low-spec PC hardware. It's got great tech for its time, but now that Blizzard sees its immense popularity, it needs to give it the budget it deserves. I could definitely see this approach working for them.

Or it's Diablo 4, which would also be cool.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
A full-on Overwatch 2 (or a better name, but functionally OW2) would actually work great. They could continue rotating events annually in OW1, satisfying the existing player base...and then build something way better (definitely with some kind of campaign/mission mode) and at the same time upgrade the platform, and potentially even change their business model.

Then, this new game with its robust new framework (which is guaranteed to be one of the most-hyped sequels ever and convert anywhere between almost all and all of the existing fanbase) can be updated in perpetuity, WoW-style. It's what I expect Bungie does if Destiny 2 does well...Destiny 2 becomes the 10-year platform that Bungie wanted the original Destiny to be but couldn't because of technical reasons.

Overwatch started as a smaller project, and you can see that. It also targets low-spec PC hardware. It's got great tech for its time, but now that Blizzard sees its immense popularity, it needs to give it the budget it deserves. I could definitely see this approach working for them.

Or it's Diablo 4, which would also be cool.
Diablo 4 is a separate section of the job site.

Brokun

Starcraft: Ghost, or their take on a fps Battle Royale style of game. It seems to be all the rage these days.

kirblar

Blizzard is moving so fast since they finally stabilized their WoW expansion production. Felt like they were just trying to keep pace with that game for a decade and now they can actually do multiple things at once.
Getting out from under Vivendi was huge for them. They went on a hiring spree immediately after they were free from the shackles.

JSoup

Banned
So long as we're dreaming of new Blizzard games, I'd buy the hell out of LEGO Warcraft. Come on, TT, talk to Blizzard, they don't bite.

Orayn

Part of me feels that because Blizzard is A) a pretty huge studio and B) making money hand over fist from MP service games, they could do a triple-A tentpole game with an SP/co-op campaign whenever they feel like it. Kinda hoping that's what this turns out to be.

If that's the case, I also hope it's written by precisely zero human beings currently working for Blizzard.

Sticking with this prediction from November. It won't be Overwatch 2 for the same reason we don't see a CS: GO 2 or a League of Legends 2, the game is already a platform and it's not a Destiny type situation where there was ever a plan for multiple standalone games or a need to wipe the slate clean.

Also open to the possibility of a service game in some other subgenre. Maybe a tactical shooter?

besada

Banned
A new FPS single and multiplayer game that takes place in a crossover of the Starcraft, Warcraft, and Overwatch universes, with new a staggered campaign where a new chunk of the story comes out every month, and in between you do multiplayer combat and co-op procgen dungeons. Owners of other games will be able to import items into the enormous skin, weapon, mount, vehicle, etc. database of purchasable items.

So much shipping! JunkGhost is best!

Top Bottom