• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blizzards censors paintings in World of Warcraft (ingame since Vanilla)

Aenima

Blizzard next playable female character...

61OHAsXEmgL._SS500_.jpg

Vaelka

Nah its worse. In the statement they made this week they said they made an internal chat channel for employees to suggest changes. So fat chicks with blue hair and male feminists working at Blizzard are the cause.

I dunno why anyone would believe their PR statements.

I've followed a lot of artists at Blizzard in the past and they're not prudes quite the opposite.
Especially the women at the art department over at Blizzard the same goes for the fanart and RP community it actually has a ton of women they're quite overrepresented there in comparison to with generally in the game, and they're definitely not prudes.

This reeks of some new person coming in from the outside and looking through the game and flagging everything they see that could possibly '' offend ''.
That and middle-aged white guy who suffers from concerned dad syndrome.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I dunno why anyone would believe their PR statements.

I've followed a lot of artists at Blizzard in the past and they're not prudes quite the opposite.
Especially the women at the art department over at Blizzard the same goes for the fanart and RP community it actually has a ton of women they're quite overrepresented there in comparison to with generally in the game, and they're definitely not prudes.

This reeks of some new person coming in from the outside and looking through the game and flagging everything they see that could possibly '' offend ''.
That and middle-aged white guy who suffers from concerned dad syndrome.

I believe it because I have seen multiple Twitter accounts of Blizzard employees that had their pronouns in bio and male feminist look and everything. Would love to be wrong though.

only bodies like that will be allowed

maxresdefault.jpg
"BUTTERCUP"... well that explains a lot.

I would not mind, if there was no hunt for the actual fit lady.

On a purely aesthetic level the big ladies can be OK, my problem is more on the sensorial level, when you get close... and all these talks about the problems brought in by the extra weight, the not so healthy life style (sorry this is a thing, to get this fat you need to neglect yourself), but this is just me. I know guys, mostly of a certain skin color, who go crazy over chunky ladies, they can inspire too.

Note that none of the characters portrayed in the game look healthy, they all are originals/misfits, so having a "regular" fit person would just not work with the overall aesthetic anyway, it would be too much of a clash.

CGiRanger

Banned
I believe it because I have seen multiple Twitter accounts of Blizzard employees that had their pronouns in bio and male feminist look and everything. Would love to be wrong though.
If you can find Blizzard twitter dev users, yeah, I remember seeing a few in some of twitter spats like with Asmongold and all had pronouns or danger hair and such. They've become so damn woke it's insufferable.

A sane company would fire them all, but even now I suspect that Bobby couldn't because doing so while under investigation would look like retaliation.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Maybe altho those have mainly been writers and not people from the art team.
But it also wouldn't surprise me if it's them too.

"BUTTERCUP"... well that explains a lot.

I would not mind, if there was no hunt for the actual fit lady.

On a purely aesthetic level the big ladies can be OK, my problem is more on the sensorial level, when you get close... and all these talks about the problems brought in by the extra weight, the not so healthy life style (sorry this is a thing, to get this fat you need to neglect yourself), but this is just me. I know guys, mostly of a certain skin color, who go crazy over chunky ladies, they can inspire too.

Note that none of the characters portrayed in the game look healthy, they all are originals/misfits, so having a "regular" fit person would just not work with the overall aesthetic anyway, it would be too much of a clash.

Note how boobs are suddenly okay if it's an obese '' not conventionally attractive '' woman.

Last edited:

Fbh

LOL, seems like they are going all in on this type of shit to try to cleanse their image.

"We are being taken to court for how badly we treat women, we've had several controversies with out games in recent years and interest in our franchises seems to be at an all time low"
"Quick, let's make some woke changes to our game so everyone sees how progressive we are, that'll fix it all!!"

If you want to turn it up to Souls difficulty, do it while listening to this. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

At what point does the gaming industry scrub the female body completely from games?
They are trying so hard to be politically correct but they are actually making games more fun for racists and sexists with the ability to shoot black women in the head in games such as Battlefield. Now they are scrubbing women entirely from games? People are going to love that.

Pejo

I saw a video the other day that you can now choose yes/no if a character blows you a /kiss emote. When they said no, it said something stupid in the emote like "xX69monster69Xx has denied your kiss".

Is that true? Is that really in the game now?

Venza

Banned
I dont like it when people use censorship for situations like this. Altering the paintings is not censorship in the slightest.

Last edited:

Vaelka

Blizzard next playable female character...

61OHAsXEmgL._SS500_.jpg

Too suggestive, why are you sexualizing women with these unrealistic body standards?
The pear shape of big hips imply fertility, are you saying women only exist to bear children?
Disgusting.

Do better.

I dont like it when people use censorship for situations like this. Altering the paintings is not censorship in the slightest.

It depends on the reason behind it.
Censorship is a very broad spectrum.

I think that whether it is or isn't censorship would depend on who and why made the decision which is something we don't know, but I think that the timing would imply censorship.
There's different degrees to it as well, even if a dev does it themselves to lower a rating for example I don't think that it's as bad as if they're forced to by a third party.
But it's still bad imo and I do think that it's censorship and is compromising the art.

It's different in for example Skullgirls where they changed some frames to no longer be upskirts, because even tho I think it was dumb they didn't do it to try and get around rating boards or because of some '' social message '' or because they were forced to.
It seemd more like they just thought they were kinda there for the sake of being there and didn't make sense, like I said I still think it's dumb but it doesn't make me mad or anything in that specific case.

Blizzard covering up Whitemane and Jaina in Hearthstone and erasing the Succubus tho does make me mad because it's a lot more transparent and excessive.
Same with censoring the blood in Hearthstone too, in a card game it frustrates me even more because the art matters a lot to me and when I spend money on getting certain cards I hate seeing them change drastically.
Same reason why I quit Shadowverse, I don't want to buy cards and then have them censored retroactively...

Last edited:

lils

They got cancelled already. So why they did this?

trying to get un-cancelled maybe? but i don't think that's how it works, blizzard...

i don't see how it isn't. self-censorship still counts, they're doing this to (try and) win good boy points with the woke mob

Venza

Banned
Do you think western game dev would have a female character like your avatar in 2021?
It depends on the publisher and the game but even if they wouldn’t design a character like my avatar I don’t have a problem with that. Devs still have similar looking characters like my avatar just with more clothing.

Vaelka

It depends on the publisher and the game but even if they wouldn’t design a character like my avatar I don’t have a problem with that. Devs still have similar looking characters like my avatar just with more clothing.

I don't really have a problem with the existence of characters that aren't like that either or whatever.
The problem I have is the non-existence of it.
There's a huge lack of variety.

Can you name a single Western game in recent memory that has?
Especially non-indie and that isn't retroactively going backwards on it.

And why shouldn't characters like Cammy exist and continue to be made including with her leotard?
It's part of what adds options and makes the industry more diverse.
Having like every character be skinny with no curves to speak of and '' modest '' isn't diverse it's the exact opposite.

If you can't see the obvious trend then I dunno what alternate reality you're living in, there is a very clear trend of Western game developers being very puritanical towards womens bodies.

Last edited:

Fare thee well

Neophyte
I'm all for games making people in any appearance they want, but retcons like this are beyond retarded and a waste of time. Blizzard is only virtue signaling for money anyway. Let's not pretend this is about anything other than money. Blizzard gets to settle on their lawsuit on the cheap and they get to show that they are 'making changes to show they want to improve their behavior.'

It's dumb bs.

Venza

Banned
Can you name a single Western game in recent memory that has?
Especially non-indie and that isn't retroactively going backwards on it.
In terms of having a character proportioned like Cammy I would say Loba from Apex Legends and she is presented more like Bayonetta with her sexuality where Cammy is rather straight laced. Western devs are still indulging in those kind of characters but like Loba they are not wearing as much revealing clothing as a few years back.
And why shouldn't characters like Cammy exist and continue to be made including with her leotard?
It's part of what adds options and makes the industry more diverse.
Having like every character be skinny with no curves to speak of and '' modest '' isn't diverse it's the exact opposite.

If you can't see the obvious trend then I dunno what alternate reality you're living in, there is a very clear trend of Western game developers being very puritanical towards womens bodies.
I clearly like Cammy so I hope they dont get rid of her iconic leotard and her...well rounded charcter model. When people are clamoring for more diversity in the industry more curvy/sexy characters isnt what they mean, generally its more minority characters. The sexy curvy women character was the standard for a while and now western devs are trending towards more realistic if not toned down character designs. The trend you speak of having western devs becoming "puritanical" is a bit much. I would say the western games industry has been trending towards more serious thematic stories and realistic characters.

Last edited:

East of Odessa

Neo Member
Censoring paintings in World of Warcaft is clearly the first, best answer to the seriousness of the Activision-Blizzard legal controversy

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

this might deserve its own new thread? Either way... Now they're removing suggestive voice lines from /flirt

Yeah I posted that in this thread already. Blizzard has a few employees with rainbow flags and pronouns in their twitter bio. Since the lawsuit they probably got immunity over there, so they can make Wow pure and inclusive. Expect a lot more.

Anyone still giving Blizzard money doesn't have much self respect. But sadly they have too many fans and people addicted to their old games.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member

this might deserve its own new thread? Either way... Now they're removing suggestive voice lines from /flirt

What a bunch of fucking idiots. Sex equals sex assault now? How fucking dumb can you be holy shit.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What a bunch of fucking idiots. Sex equals sex assault now? How fucking dumb can you be holy shit.
Sounds like Blizzard are doing a lot of projecting as they overcompensate in the other direction. I mean, they swapped to a male, RAPE DEMON!

You just can't make this shit up, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom