• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Bloodborne] 4Gamer Interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki - [Fully Translated]

• Thread starter Deleted member 17706
  • Start date
I don't think there needs to be anything relating to DS in Bloodborne. Easter eggs at the most.
Only gameplay elements should be borrowed from the Souls series but the lore should be totally different. I expect to be into it as much as I was for DS though.

Also, from this interview, it's pretty clear that Miyazaki wants to let someone else than him take care of the souls games

Fully expect to see Patches.

Jabba

Banned
Sounds really exciting to be honest. Bloodbourne, Valiant Hearts and Destiny have my future covered. Thank you for translations Zefah.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but it's still generally disappointing. I think they had a huge opportunity to do something WILDLY fresh and unique instead of making yet another Souls-like game. As great and as cool as Bloodborne looks, you can't deny that it's got "Souls" DNA written all over it. I know there's all these different/new mechanics at its core that will differentiate it from the Souls game, but that leaked footage we saw still makes the game looks very Souls-like (not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying).

I know no one wants to hear it, but a King's Field reboot could have provided a completely new and fresh experience. The things these guys could probably do in the first-person realm (especially considering all that they've learned over the years) could have been incredible. I sort of wanted that NEW game for my new system too, you know what I mean? Something we haven't seen in awhile. An experience you couldn't find last generation. Instead, we're getting a more refined (presumably) Souls-like experience with improvements/adjustments you'd expect from the next "iteration" in a series.

I'm looking forward to the game and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but as an old From head I can't help but to feel a bit disappointed about the entire reveal.

I'm not sure you could really implement a combat system as intricate as the Souls' games with a first-person view. Maybe you could and I'm just biased.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Mad kudos to OP for doing this!

Interesting tidbits so far, and I think it was a really good decison not to make Demon's Souls 2. There's a possibility of Souls fatigue, especially since DS2 frankly is a bit disappointing honestly.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but it's still generally disappointing. I think they had a huge opportunity to do something WILDLY fresh and unique instead of making yet another Souls-like game. As great and as cool as Bloodborne looks, you can't deny that it's got "Souls" DNA written all over it. I know there's all these different/new mechanics at its core that will differentiate it from the Souls game, but that leaked footage we saw still makes the game looks very Souls-like (not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying).

I know no one wants to hear it, but a King's Field reboot could have provided a completely new and fresh experience. The things these guys could probably do in the first-person realm (especially considering all that they've learned over the years) could have been incredible. I sort of wanted that NEW game for my new system too, you know what I mean? Something we haven't seen in awhile. An experience you couldn't find last generation. Instead, we're getting a more refined (presumably) Souls-like experience with improvements/adjustments you'd expect from the next "iteration" in a series.

I'm looking forward to the game and I'm sure I'm going to enjoy it, but as an old From head I can't help but to feel a bit disappointed about the entire reveal.

I disagree. How many Kings Field games have we got or ones of a similar style. Now how many Souls games do we have? I certainly consider the Souls series to be more fresh.

Now you may prefer first person dungeon crawlers, but I have yet to see one with great combat (real time). Thats my only hunch against first parson rpg's that aren't fps.....their combat is really lacking.

Bloodborne only shares the fundamentals of Souls. I expect and believe the gameplay will be quite different in terms of battle tactics, perhaps online integration and progression through the levels.

Yuterald

Imru’ al-Qays;117161759 said:
I'm not sure you could really implement a combat system as intricate as the Souls' games with a first-person view. Maybe you could and I'm just biased.

From was on the right direction with Shadow Tower Abyss and it's sad that they'll probably never revisit those ideas. You could dismember enemies limbs in that game and the enemies would react differently depending on which part you took off. For example, you could use a sniper rifle to shoot a harpy's wings and they would fall back down to the earth and crawl/stumble their way towards the player. That shit was cool! There are SO many ways to play with those ideas.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's starting to get less about the specifics of Bloodborne and more about Miyazaki and From Software in general, but I'll still translate the rest of the interview. There's still a bit more after this, but it might take me some time to finish. Anyway, here's part four: approaching network systems from a social science perspective.

ネットワークシステムは社会科学的見地からのアプローチ

宮崎氏:
 ちなみに,最後の1つ「新しいオンライン要素」ですが,今はまだ具体的にお話しできないんです。
 キーワードとしては「探索の自由な共有」ということになるんですが,そこから先は,すみませんが,続報をお待ちいただければ,と思います。

4Gamer:
 新しいオンライン要素ですか。

宮崎氏:
 ええ。「Demon's Souls」の時もそうでしたが,ネットワークを使って何かやりたいね,ということはあります。

4Gamer:
 「Demon's Souls」を取材させて頂いたときにも思ったのですが,そうしたネットワークを使った仕組みの部分って,宮崎さんが考えているんですか?

宮崎氏:
 そうですね。基本的に私は,チームの信頼できるメンバーと話したり,相談することが好きですし,そうした中でかなり多くのアイデアをもらっているのですが,ネットワークの仕組みなんかは,とくに最初期は,やはり概念的というか,抽象的な話になり易いので,比較的1人で考えることが多くなってはしまいます。全般そうなんですが,とくにこのあたりは,私の話ってすごく分かりにくいんですよ(笑)

4Gamer:
 なるほど……。なんといいますか,宮崎さんって,なんでネットサービスの設計についての造詣が深いんですか?

宮崎氏:
 いや,特にそんなことはないと思いますよ。

4Gamer:
 でも,いつもかなり本質を突いた作り方をしているなと思うんです。死んだ場面が再生される血痕システムにしても,緩やかに繋がる協力/対戦プレイって考え方にしても, 今でこそかなり一般的な概念になりましたが,「Demon's Souls」が出た当時,まして企画当初の頃なんて,そういう視点ってなかなか出来ないと思うんですよ。

宮崎氏:
 まあ,当時分かりにくかったのはそうですね。どちらかというと苦い思い出ですが。

4Gamer:
 当時のオンラインゲームのシステムやマルチプレイ機能にしても,もっと単純な思想――要するに「一緒に遊べたら楽しいよね!」というところで止まっているものも多くて。そのメリット/デメリットをきちんと考えて設計してあるものは少なかった。
 だけど宮崎さんは,それこそもう何年も前から,「一緒に遊べるのは楽しいけど,同時にっていうのは面倒くさい」という話をされていて。そうじゃないオンライン要素の使い方として,「非同期的なものにはもっと可能性があるはずだ」という話をしていたのが,とても印象的だったんです。

宮崎氏:
 確かに,そんな話をしていました。
 これは今もそうなんですが,当時は,ゲームにおけるネットワークについて,ごく大げさに言うと社会科学的に考えていた部分があるのかもしれません。

4Gamer:
 社会科学ですか。

宮崎氏:
 はい。私は,大学から大学院と社会科学をかじっていたんですけど,当時はちょうどインターネットが世に出てきた頃で。今振り返っても面白い時代で,色々と考えさせられるものがあったんです。ゲームばかりやって真面目な学生ではありませんでしたし,別に専門家でもなんでもありませんが,なんとなく,そういう影響はあったのかなあと。

4Gamer:
 なるほど。やっぱり,そういうバックボーンがあったんですね。

宮崎氏:
 まあ,そんな大げさなものではありません。志向というか,傾向の話として,ですね。同世代の人なら,分かってくれる部分があるのではないかと。

4Gamer:
 ふーむ。

宮崎氏:
 ネットワークって,ゲームにとっても,とても面白い要素だと思うんですよ。ゲームプレイの体験であれ,価値であれ,色々なレイヤーで大きく拡げてくれる。大袈裟な言い方ですが,今の時代にゲームが作れるというのは,とても運がいいなと思っています。

4Gamer:
 「Bloodborne」のネットワークシステムがどんなものになるかは分かりませんけれど,宮崎さんの新しい挑戦という意味で,とても期待しています。

Approaching Network Systems from a Social Science Perspective

Miyazaki:
The third concept I mentioned, “new online elements,” is something I can’t talk in detail about right now. The key phrase would be “free sharing of exploration,” but I can’t say any more about it, so please wait for future announcements.

4Gamer:
New online elements, you say?

Miyazaki:
Yes. Just like with Demon’s Souls, we want to do something cool with the network features.

4Gamer:
I wondered this when I first interviewed you about Demon’s Souls, but do you come up with these new network features all by yourself?

Miyazaki:
Yeah. I mean, I like to bounce ideas off trusted members of the team, and I get a low of new ideas by doing that, but when you’re first thinking of network features, it can be very conceptual and abstract, so I spend a lot of time, comparatively, thinking of them by myself. This may apply to all aspects of my games, but especially with the network features, it can be very hard to get other people to understand my ideas (laughs).

4Gamer:
Interesting… So, do you have a pretty deep knowledge of how network services are designed?

Miyazaki:
No, not really.

4Gamer:
But you always come up with features that really use the network features in a good way. In Demon’s Souls, you had the bloodstain system that showed how other players died, and the more seamless cooperative and PvP gameplay. Those types of systems have become more commonplace now, but when Demon’s souls came out, and especially when you were still in the planning stages, I don’t think most people would have been able to come up with those ideas.

Miyazaki:
You’re definitely right that it was hard for people to understand at the time. I have a lot of bitter memories from that time.

4Gamer:
The online multiplayer systems and features of the day tended to come from a much simpler way of thought—like, “this would be much more fun if we could play together!”—but that’s where a lot of those ideas seemed to stop. A lot of games didn’t seem to fully take into account the merits and demerits of those systems.

But you, on the other hand, even a long time ago would say that “playing together is fun, but playing together at the same time can be a pain.” I remember you saying, “There has to be more possibilities with asynchronous mutliplayer gameplay.” Those words left a strong impression on me.

Miyazaki:
Yeah, I remember saying that.

I’m the same way now, but at the time—and this may sound a bit pretentious—I was thinking about network systems in video games from more of a social sciences standpoint.

4Gamer:
Social sciences?

Miyazaki:
Yes. When I was in university and later graduate school, I was interested in studying social sciences on the side. At the time, the Internet had really just entered the world. Looking back, it was a very interesting era—a time that really made me think about a lot of things. Of course, I was always playing video games and wasn’t a very serious student, so I don’t mean to say I’m some kind of expert, but I think I was influenced in a way.

4Gamer:
Interesting. So that formed the backbone for your later work.

Miyazaki:
Nothing so grandiose as that. I just had academic leanings in that direction. I think a lot of people from my generation will know what I’m talking about.

4Gamer:
Hmmm…

Miyazaki:
I find network systems to be very interesting, both in general and when applied to games. Whether it’s an experience in a game or some kind of value, it can be expanded across a multitude of layers. This may sound a bit dramatic, but I feel that I’m very lucky to be able to create games in an era like this.

4Gamer:
Well, I don’t know what kind of network systems we’ll find in Bloodborne, but in terms of it being a new challenge for you, you certainly have me excited.

Cheers Zefah.

The active vs. passive combat sounds like the biggest change to the formula. The passive style pretty much defined the Souls games, so hopefully the new system is just as nuanced.

EDIT: The talk of new online features is really intriguing!

Koobion

Appreciate the translation - thank you.

I love the direction this is going. It's awesome to me how the game was built from the ground up for a next generation console, and planned as far back as it was. No cutting corners to put it on PS3. Couldn't ask for much more as a huge fan of the series, even though this is different (and also the same).

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
On why he chose the new Victorian setting:
I have a few reasons, but first and foremost, the setting really matched the new gameplay I had in mind.

This is music to my ear! That's how you do it

From was on the right direction with Shadow Tower Abyss and it's sad that they'll probably never revisit those ideas. You could dismember enemies limbs in that game and the enemies would react differently depending on which part you took off. For example, you could use a sniper rifle to shoot a harpy's wings and they would fall back down to the earth and crawl/stumble their way towards the player. That shit was cool! There are SO many ways to play with those ideas.

That actually does sound pretty cool. Aiming your sword slashes to cut off limbs or whatever. But that kind of thing has never really worked that well on traditional controllers (see MGR:R).

IKizzLE

This fight for your life mechanic reminds me of ninja gaiden black, where any random ninja can end you as quick as a boss. I expect very aggressive, mobile and dynamic ai enemies. Cannot wait for this game.

Miyazaki:
Yes. When I was in university and later graduate school, I was interested in studying social sciences on the side. At the time, the Internet had really just entered the world. Looking back, it was a very interesting era—a time that really made me think about a lot of things. Of course, I was always playing video games and wasn’t a very serious student, so I don’t mean to say I’m some kind of expert, but I think I was influenced in a way.

I love this guy.

Hugstable

Banned
Great job and thank you on the translation! That leaked gameplay trailer from the other day got me to get serious into these games finally, and I'm about one level away from finishing my first run of Demon's Souls, then gonna be playing Dark Souls on PC to get caught up in the games before Bloodborne comes out. I'm really excited since I heard others say that Bloodborne seems to take some inspiration from the Tower of Latria area which was by far one of my favorite levels of the game, especially 3-2. Everything about that level was just creepy, and the fact that it had no music playing and just the sounds around you just amplified how tense and creepy the area I was exploring was. I'm down for whatever you throw at me Miyazaki, I just want Bloodborne to be as great as what I'm playing right now. Demon's Souls is honestly becoming one of my favorite PS3 games from last gen.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
"Free sharing of exploration" through online features. What do you guys think this means, besides the message and hint system already in place ?

Yuterald

I disagree. How many Kings Field games have we got or ones of a similar style. Now how many Souls games do we have? I certainly consider the Souls series to be more fresh.

Now you may prefer first person dungeon crawlers, but I have yet to see one with great combat (real time). Thats my only hunch against first parson rpg's that aren't fps.....their combat is really lacking.

Bloodborne only shares the fundamentals of Souls. I expect and believe the gameplay will be quite different in terms of battle tactics, perhaps online integration and progression through the levels.

King's Field IV, the last console KF title, launched in Japan in 2001. It's been 10+ years since we've seen a home console title. If you want to get technical, it's been about 8 years since the PSP spinoff titles (which doesn't really count). The only other "similar style" KF-like games we've gotten were Eternal Ring (which was a launch game for the PS2) and Shadow Tower Abyss (which was released only in Japan). We're, what, 4 Souls-games in now?

On the original Playstation they released three KF titles total. For PS2, they nearly launched with King's Field IV. I guess you could say Bloodborne is the King's Field IV of the Souls series, release-wise. So, I wouldn't say we're drowning in first-person dungeon crawlers let alone King's Field itself, ha!

You say you haven't played a first person dungeon crawler with great combat...well, who says there can't be and what's stopping someone from trying to make one? As I've said, they were on the right track with Shadow Tower Abyss and with all of their new found experience/fame, I think they've got the resources/know-how to do the genre justice. That's all I'm saying.

Great job and thank you on the translation! That leaked gameplay trailer from the other day got me to get serious into these games finally, and I'm about one level away from finishing my first run of Demon's Souls, then gonna be playing Dark Souls on PC to get caught up in the games before Bloodborne comes out. I'm really excited since I heard others say that Bloodborne seems to take some inspiration from the Tower of Latria area which was by far one of my favorite levels of the game, especially 3-2. Everything about that level was just creepy, and the fact that it had no music playing and just the sounds around you just amplified how tense and creepy the area I was exploring was. I'm down for whatever you throw at me Miyazaki, I just want Bloodborne to be as great as what I'm playing right now. Demon's Souls is honestly becoming one of my favorite PS3 games from last gen.

Welcome, traveler, to our camp!

I'm curious to see if you'll prefer Dark Souls to Demon's Souls. I still go back and forth as to which was the game of the generation, though I tend to wind up favoring Dark Souls. It's a wonder how the two games can be so similar mechanically yet so different tonally and in terms of what it's like to make your way through their worlds.

Thanks for the translation, I'm curious about the new features.
Interesting that you can use the weapon mid-transformation and that it has some other effect.

Hellshy.

Miyazaki:
The third concept I mentioned, “new online elements,” is something I can’t talk in detail about right now. The key phrase would be “free sharing of exploration,” but I can’t say any more about it, so please wait for future announcements.

This part makes me think of the network features Sony was talking about back during the ps4 reveal,having a friend drop in items to help you defeat a boss or if you are stuck they can take over from their console and get you past a tough part.
Could bloodborne be the first game to support this feature?

Miyazaki:
That ties in to the second theme I mentioned—“the feeling of fighting for one’s life.” In Demon’s Souls, the battle system was really defined by swords and shields, particularly shields, and it ended up feeling a bit passive.

This seems to support what we've seen so far about them moving away from blocking and more toward outright avoiding or preventing enemy attacks.

I hope Bloodborne will feature that Twitch thing where commentators can affect the game, like if enough people say "Capra Demon" it will summon him.

Loving this quote with regards to continuing with a Demon's Souls sequel or making something new:

Miyazaki:
"That’s a difficult question and I can’t really say for certain. Working on an all new game is definitely appealing, but on the other hand—and I felt this way while working on Artorias of the Abyss Edition—but there is a unique kind of fun when you’re working on a sequel. You can make lots of straightforward additions to what you’ve already built, and there are a lot of things you can take for granted, allowing you to really expand on the scope of the game."

I ain't gonna lie; I'm greedy.

I want both Bloodborne and Demon's Souls 2! >:)

They have already stated we will see this at Gamescon and TGS.

They have? NIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised they are showing it at both of those events. This game may be further along than we thought. I could see this releasing in like March or April of next year. Around one year after DS2's release.

Awesome work Zefah!

The mid-transformation attacks have me super hyped now lol
They have? NIIIIIIICE!!!!!!!!!

I'm surprised they are showing it at both of those events. This game may be further along than we thought. I could see this releasing in like March or April of next year. Around one year after DS2's release.
They showed gameplay behind closed doors at E3 and it seems like there was going to be a trailer released in 2013 as well. Seems very much on track for the first half of 2015!

Elixist

so im guessing that the half second/ second that the transforming is happening u hit the atk button for a different attack? thx for translation man, pretty fascinating stuff. the dude is a genius as far as im concerned cant wait for diss. bow down before miyazaki god.

Drencrom

I found this tidbit interesting

Miyazaki: With Demon’s Souls and Dark Souls, we always wanted players to feel a sense of accomplishment. That’s the only reason we went with a higher difficulty.

It seems like this was lost upon the directors/new members that made DaS2. Instead of making bosses that are interesting and satisfying to overcome, they focused on making bosses hard, often by just adding grunts around plain and hard bosses which didn't really translate to satisfying/interesting boss-fights in my opinion.

Top Bottom