• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne battle royale? From Software would 'love to have a crack' at live service games

Shin

Banned
Tetris 99 may be the most unusual threat to Fortnite's battle royale crown as it stands, but there could be a new competitor ready to upend the phenomenally popular video game genre in the future.

Hidetaka Miyazaki, President of Dark Souls creator From Software, has told The Telegraph that the revered developer is taking a keen interest in the battle royale genre and the prevalence of long running 'live service' games, such as Destiny and Anthem, that are dominating the headlines in the industry right now.

Would From Software, famed for its fearsomely challenging and intricately designed single-player adventures, be interested in joining the fray.

"There’s always the possibility," Miyazaki says. "These games are definitely fun. And we’re interested in the patterns they are taking. If we did it, it might be a bit different! But we’re definitely interested and there’s definitely that possibility in the future. We’d love to take a crack at them some day."

One would imagine that any From Software battle royale would be a significantly different proposition from shooters such as Fortnite and Apex Legends. And a live-service multiplayer RPG based on the Dark Souls universe or another world of From's creation would certainly be an interesting direction for the developer to take.

However, Miyazaki also stressed that single-player adventures, like From's upcoming shinobi adventure Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, remain an integral part of the games industry and are key to its long-term health.

"Single-player action games don’t feel too rare in the current climate," he says." While Devil May Cry 5 has some online elements, it’s coming out two weeks before our game. And that’s a very single-player focussed experience. We’ve also had God of War and Spider-Man." Both of those games sold over 9m copies in 2018.

"We do need this diversity in the industry," Miyazaki says. "Regardless of what From Software is doing, we need people making battle royale games and live services and we need people making single-player focussed experiences. We feel that this diversity is what will keep everyone going."

Credit: Telegraph UK

manfestival

I would LOVE a dark souls battle royale. I want a true melee focused type of battle royale from a AAA developer. I kinda expected that from Realm Royale and was so let down. Granted we don't need more titles to fill this overly saturated market.

don't we have enough failed live services,don't these guys realize this means investing a lot of time and people these days don't have that

bilderberg

A melee focused Battle Royale may actually get me to enjoy it. Wandering around for 5-10 minutes only to get to shot in the back by someone I can't see is the least fun thing I can think of.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i go to From for their characters, art style, and most of all, carefully considered level design. i have a hard time imagining good level design in a battle royale game but who knows? PvP is my least favorite part of any of the games and i'm glad it's entirely optional.

that said, if it's from From, i have to check it out. Tetris 99 shows that battle royale can even work in Tetris, so i would never say "never" to seeing what they cook up

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No offense to From, but them doing a GaaS sound like a disaster in the making.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
For me the best part about Souls games is the fighting various different type of enemies and bosses, I personally never cared about the PVP or online part the Souls games.

UnusualSether

Neo Member
Played a small bit of Bloodborne... eh doesn´t sound to appealing to me, but after Tetris 99 I think we can expect anything become a BR.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
This is cool... I guess. I've almost completely ignored the online aspects of the Soulsborne games. I play it all solo. I mean, I legitimately understand that a lot of gamers enjoy the online multiplayer, but it's not something I care about.

Hopefully it would sell well and give FROM more money (and incentive) to make more Soulsborne titles.

I could see an online-only BR Soulsborne scratching the same itch that For Honor was attempting to do.

For me the best part about Souls games is the fighting various different type of enemies and bosses, I personally never cared about the PVP or online part the Souls games.
Same.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
The absolute worst aspect of every Souls game is the online pvp. I don't know why they think they could make a whole game out of that.

Arachnid

No thanks. I play FROM games for phenomenal PvE, and a battle royal game sounds like a waste of their talent.

Ban Puncher

eCkSSS8.jpg

Pejo

That's essentially what DS3 church fight club is (or was, I haven't played in a while). They'd have to do something about roll spam and lag if they were serious and planning to make a melee BR.

Dacon

Banned
I can't imagine that Souls combat could catch on in a BR. It's way too skill based for normies to get into. Dark Souls has always had a dedicated PVP fanbase, but I cannot see that translating well.

Armored Core on the other hand?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don't see how you can account for 10+ people being on screen in melee combat unless it's something like Power Stone or Dynasty Warriors. Would be interesting to see.

People who don’t like battle royale games tend to just suck at them.

They should do a easy offline battle royale game with a story.

Halo0629

Honestly I would rather have a horizon battle royale than a bloodborne battle royale. A hundred people killing each other while huge hostile wild mechs ran around the map would be pretty epic.

Last edited:
I couldn’t wait to read the thread.

I don’t see things as bad by nature. I don’t consider open world games bad just because they are open world, or BR games bad just because they are BR.

Would BR only Bloodborne 2 be a great idea? No, but as a fun optional mode outside main game? Hell Yeah. Same for Halo. Same for everything.

danielberg

Neophyte
Souls has famously janky, laggy and broken online... if they managed to fix that why not, if its a addition ok who cares, but if its a entire mulitplayer game build on the online they have now they will fail.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Please if you do this, do it like Kojima does his multiplayer...make it like a separate entity like MGS4 was to the online game. And for the love of all that is sexy get better netcode.

Mr Hyde

I´m down for anything Miyazaki makes but damn, I have to draw the line somewhere. Don´t jump on the fucking BR-bandwagon.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
holy shit i ain't the biggest BR fan but if we got Bloodborne BR I would die a happy man. that shit would be crazy.

Top Bottom