• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: Impressions After 40 Hours (EDGE)

tcrunch

You can get the issue, which has 6 pages on Bloodborne, on Amazon right now for $5: US | UK

• Playthrough did not involve Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer - they also did not complete the game in 40 hours.
  • "Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before."
  • Merchant sells a clip-on lantern (hello Demon's Souls augite)
  • "Yharnam spends the game in the grip of a perpetual night...that can only be brought to an end by the player finding and finishing off the source of the scourge of beasts." (this could be referring short term like...defeat a major boss, get some daytime, or overall, I guess)
  • Description on the first shield they found: Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.
  • Some enemies in the game can use spells
  • Confirmed Bloodtinge stat governs bullet damage
  • Transforming strikes and their follow-up attacks give you a way of reaching enemies that in other Souls games might be out of reach because they were pushed back by your earlier attacks - they say stamina management is a more diverse process in Bloodborne than in the earlier games
  • Bloodstone shards = titanite, coldblood = portable souls, most common items are blood vials (healing) and quicksilver bullets, but stocks can grow low later in the game
  • Surplus items are automatically sent to a storage box, and if you die your items are replenished from the box automatically
  • They say your starting stats are dictated by the trick weapon you choose (which runs counter to the origins shown in the character creator...)
  • Enemies only drop upgrade mats and items
  • Very few chests, almost all have something good inside
  • Clothes found in the world or from a merchant whose catalog expands when you defeat bosses
  • Only found 6 or so weapons and 6 or so guns in 40 hours
  • Bloodgems are an upgrade item that allows you to change the attributes of a weapon, ex. increasing physical attack power, adding poison damage, or increasing scaling - all the weapons in the game are customizable with bloodgems
  • Did not beat the game but they feel like it is less replayable than its predecessors (this does not count the Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer components)
  • You can keep up to 5 dungeon configurations in your Chalice Dungeon stock
  • Lantern checkpoints are not "overabundant" like the bonfires of Dark Souls II, you open shortcuts rather than getting new bonfires (ala Demon's Souls)
  • "Discrete areas flow together to create a believable world" - separating the hub from the main gameworld allows the world itself to be more coherent, interconnectivity is present and very complex throughout the game - they compare it directly to Dark Souls' "falling apart" in the second half and say that unlike Dark Souls, Bloodborne maintains its dense, interconnected world design through the entire game. They say several areas rival Firelink Shrine in terms of interconnectivity.
  • They say in Souls you are frequently scared of dying, but in Bloodborne you are also scared of what is coming to kill you - "There is a moment in Dark Souls that we will never forget: down in the Depths, picking up an item from a corpse and a slime dropping onto our head. We spent the rest of the level panning the camera endlessly for unseen threats, no longer scared of dying, but of moving. Imagine a whole game of that." - For this reason they think taking the replayability factor to CD makes more sense.
  • Torch may be very important for newcomers/first playthroughs
  • There is a new mechanic they are not allowed to discuss
  • "If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."
There's a Q&A about Miyazaki's ideas and philosophy regarding the game at the end.

edge.jpg
Above without stuff on it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
What can I say, I'm glad to see that this is looking so good. FROM has been there since 94 supporting the PlayStation and it took them more than a decade to finally break into the mainstream. I feel like they've earned it.

Noobcraft

I'm pumped. My first ever steelbook case and my first real jump into a Souls game (I have dark souls on 360 but only played an hour or so. The frame rate was awful)

Blobbers

All great impression, then suddenly a worrying as fuck bulletpoint:
"Only found 6 or so weapons and 6 or so guns in 40 hours"

This does not sit well with me.

Zukuu

Banned
Yay:
-Lantern checkpoints are not "overabundant" like the bonfires of Dark Souls II, you open shortcuts rather than getting new bonfires (ala Demon's Souls), interconnectivity approaches Firelink Shrine type numbers of access and departure points in a few places
-"If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again."

Meh:
-Only found 6 or so weapons and 6 or so guns in 40 hours
-Bloodgems are an upgrade item that allows you to change the attributes of a weapon, ex. increasing physical attack power, adding poison damage, or increasing scaling - all the weapons in the game are customizable with bloodgems
-Did not beat the game but they feel like it is less replayable than its predecessors (this does not count the Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer components)
-Torch may be very important for newcomers/first playthroughs => So NOT for everything else. Bummer, thought it would be needed in some areas.

mattp

Surplus items are automatically sent to a storage box, and if you die your items are replenished from the box automatically

this is genius, on the same level as the estus flask system

"If you thought From Software was going soft, Hidetaka Miyazaki is about to put you brutally back in your place. And if you've been watching this generation from the sidelines, unmoved by the remasters and rush jobs while you wait for the first true essential to arrive, now's the time. As if there was ever any doubt, Miyazaki and his team have done it all over again.

2539935-4169550075-hNb9e.gif

roytheone

Lantern checkpoints are not "overabundant" like the bonfires of Dark Souls II, you open shortcuts rather than getting new bonfires (ala Demon's Souls), interconnectivity approaches Firelink Shrine type numbers of access and departure points in a few places

Very good. VERY GOOD

ASIS

Even though I didn't enjoy the brutal difficulty of Dark Souls, I'm getting this and I will be forcing myself to complete it. Game looks remarkable.

Also, this is so gonna get a 10 from EDGE.

SerTapTap

I do too, but hey less farming and more exploring for me a la Metroid prime

Yep. If you only find 12 weapons but all of them are relevant and not just straight upgrades one after the other I'm super interested. Give me different weapon types, not the same thing with slightly better stats. Also not farming sounds GREAT

So this will not bad another order 1886? Good to know. Holding off my pre order till reviews.

Psh, like anyone thought that would be the case. At the very worst I was expecting another Dark Souls II.

This: I wonder in what way do they feel this game is less replayable than the preceding Souls titles? Perhaps there is no New Game+?

No way that's the case. That would be incredibly dumb for PvP builds. No one would want to actually beat the game.

And repeat, this is very very great

"Gone is the dark fantasy, the faded crumbled majesty of the Souls series. Bloodborne is filthy, grisly, and very, very scary. It's a horror game."

"Bloodborne is Hidetaka Miyazaki's brutal riposte to the section of his playerbase that thinks it has seen it all before"

4hfgtrm.gif

"Did not beat the game but they feel like it is less replayable than its predecessors (this does not count the Chalice Dungeon or multiplayer components)"

hmmmm

Disappointing that the number of weapons is so few, especially coming out of Dark Souls II. Still not sure I like that they're moving away from the estus system in favor of consumables. Otherwise I'm excited.

My post from the other thread.

Even though Bloodborne has less weapons than the souls sereis i feel like im more likely to try out other weapons cause the ones we've seen so far have all just been so cool and unique (kirkhammer and sawcleaver). In my time with demons souls i used 3 weapons and with DS1 i sawpped between 4. (Haven't played DS2 so cant comment on that)

Bloodborne seems like it wont have alot filler weapons like the souls sereis has.

The fuck? Even if you stretch it, saying with transformations every weapon counts double, that's a pretty pathetic number.

Theres at least 8 weapons we know about in the game. So technically 16. But yea definitely not gonna see the amount of weapons that we saw in DS2 or 1.

JaseMath

Welp...looks like I'm buying. Never played Dark Souls (or anything from From Software), so I'm pretty excited.

Top Bottom