• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BLOODBORNE Impressions Thread : And so the Nightly Hunt Begins

Shengar

About date of release, if FromSoft still adhere to their policy releasing their games on time instead delaying it, expect another area cut like in Demon's and Dark. Though seeing how big Miyazaki name is, if he asked for it Sony certainly will give him more time to polish his game.

About date of release, if FromSoft still adhere to their policy releasing their games on time instead delaying it, expect another area cut like in Demon's and Dark. Though seeing how big Miyazaki name is, if he asked for it Sony certainly will give him more time to polish his game.

To be fair, this game should've started development back in late 2012, right upon the completion of the Artorias of the Abyss DLC. A dev cycle of 2.5 years would give it a slightly longer dev cycle than either Dark Souls or Dark Souls II, and probably longer than Demon's Souls as well, though we don't really know when that began development.

And it remains to be seen if Japan Studio lent any direct development assistance like they did with the original Demon's Souls (iirc).

This game likely had a longer cycle + more manpower working on it than any other game in the series.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Not sure if posted already but....

Bloodborne - Official Gamescom Demo Gameplay: Full Play-thru | PS4 Exclusive Action RPG

Direct feed gameplay trailer from Gamescom. 6 minutes long

Awesome. It's the little details that do it for me:

- Buddy running in and scraping the ground with his axe as he attacks
- Wheelchair guy getting blasted back from the strength of his own handcannon
- Cleric Beast freaking out and spilling blood everywhere after the player lands a successful crit attack
- Townspeople yelling stuff like "Beast! A foul Beast!" and "Busybody!"

Can't wait for this. Most likely the day I will buy a PS4.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
On phone, please share!!

dddooozzz9

Neo Member
A lot of details

Check this website

http://goo.gl/rFvNnK

5xDf4Y

y7QD6O

xJzS0S

m67tKT

efYbsf

d8jpSg

zPGTga

8N8YbV

9yI6z9

If they can't finish it before February then they should wait until May. February is extremely stacked this year and March has been packed lately as well.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Watching the direct feed again, what causes the major damage attack on the boss that sprays blood everywhere? It seems like a QTE animation but I know these games don't have those.

Watching the direct feed again, what causes the major damage attack on the boss that sprays blood everywhere? It seems like a QTE animation but I know these games don't have those.

It looks as if a few slashes to the legs makes him slump and puts him in a critical hit state, much like the other enemies (hence the identical "riposte" animation). Very cool.

I'm guessing it's due to the difficulty tuning of the demo that it only took 2 hits to bring him down.

Moofers

From my write-up at PAX: http://vgevo.com/threads/pax-prime-2014-round-up.23419/

Anyway, time to cover the game itself, right? In short, this was my favorite game of the ones that I played. Apparently I'm not alone in that line of thinking as the booth had already been decorated with awards from various media outlets indicating it was their choice as well. The most important contributing factor to my decision was that the game seemed to pull me into its world so easily. I put on the Sony headphones, picked up the controller, and was tasked with choosing between two sets of weapons, each including one melee and one firearm. I chose the sawblade and blunderbuss combination, which seems to be the set featured in most of the gameplay footage circling around for this. After about a minute of loading (don't read into that, these show demos commonly have long load periods) the entire PAX floor melted away along with any noise or chatter and I was fully immersed into the game's world. My character stood outside of a large iron gate with a landscape of dead trees and beat up buildings, with a giant moon hanging low in the night sky. The whole place looked like Halloween personified.

Having played through the Souls games, I really felt right at home in Bloodborne. All the controls were pretty much the same, the character seemed to have a familiar weight and speed, and the attacks all felt like they had the right amount of heft to them. I even found familiar items in my inventory, now known by different names. For example, the molotov cocktail in Bloodborne functions exactly like the "bomb" in Dark Souls 2. I was pleased to see I had a few of those loaded and ready to go.

Working through the town felt like a great outdoor haunted house. Enemies were jumping out from places unseen, with weapons swinging. A couple of times I could see them beforehand, but more often than not, I was treading very carefully and still being taken a bit by surprise. I was happy to see what was around the next corner or down the next street, but not so terrified that I found it difficult to keep advancing. This might sound odd to some people, but it actually reminded me a bit of Nightmare Creatures from back in the days of PlayStation One and Nintendo 64. Don't worry though, I only mean that in the best way!

After a few enemy encounters, I was feeling pretty comfortable and started to get a little more fast and loose with my exploration, knowing that I was playing a demo with a 15 minute time limit. I had hoped to see as much as possible, but I had to get comfortable first so I didn't die right away and get kicked off the demo. I didn't know if that would happen, but I wasn't going to risk it. It wasn't long after my new carefree approach that I got in over my head. I saw a patrol of about four enemies working its way down a street below me. I tossed a molotov down there and took out two of them, then proceeded to make my way toward the other two. As I engaged them, a large number of enemies around the corner were alerted and began to run to the aid of their allies. I now had something like seven or eight enemies targeting me, which is a few more than I ever had coming after me in any of the Souls games. A couple of them had long range rifles, a couple had torches, and the rest had pitchforks and other assorted melee weapons. I took out all but one hunter with his rifle and as I approached him, two more enemies closed in from an area behind him. It seemed like they could have easily been alerted earlier had I not chosen to fight the majority of this mob battle on the other end of the street. The sheer number of enemies in close proximity was definitely something I had not experienced in the Souls games. Perhaps with smaller enemies, but this mob was made up entirely of what I'd consider to be enemies you have to take seriously because one wrong move can give just one of them the opportunity to do a lot of damage to you.

The two new enemies closed in on me, forcing me to back down the street, which allowed the hunter with the rifle to take shots at me and ultimately pick me off as I tried to get to an area where I could maneuver a bit more and avoid attacks. This whole scene was intense and the kind of moment where you forget you are playing a game and the rest of the world doesn't exist. I was totally engrossed until I was taken out by that hunter.

Now that my turn was over, I exited the demo booth and realized I was back at PAX again. I actually hung around for a bit and watched another player who had apparently taken a different path than me, which led them to a boss battle. The boss was a huge creature that looked like some kind of decomposed werewolf. I was pretty blown away by the striking visuals as I noticed the boss had all kinds of long fur blowing in the wind and responding to his movements. Even up close, shorter fur was covering its limbs and driving home that the amount of detail put into this model was extensive. The game already looked great and played very well, but seeing this boss was the one thing that really stood out and solidified the idea that I was indeed looking at a true next gen successor to the Souls games. I can't wait to play more.

Wolff

Quick question (I feel like this has been known but I missed it): does this have Parrying?

It's not the same thing, but it does. From one of the latest videos we could see the character parrying an enemy. But in this game he did it by shooting the enemy when he was about to attack, kinda like with the same timing you push the parry button with a shield.

co-op works like any other souls game then? Is there also some sort of invasion system in this alpha?

From my understanding, co-op works using bells. There are two bells, one for summoning and one to summon other players. You can hear the bell chimes in you're world and I think you join by replying with a bell chime. Note sure though.

No invasions in the alpha.

Well, first, it's 30FPS anyway. So that's already not good. If more games like TLOU:R or UC4 or many indies go 60FPS, console gamers will hopefully finally take notice of the differences. And second, FS/th dev has a notorious history of games with sub-30FPS framerates, including the past Souls games. Sure, the game is 6 months away, but they are showing a build with dips already again. There is a chance that they will fix it, but considering their past and their 30FPS decision, framerate is not of high priority for them. So there is hope, but it's little.
This push for a 60 fps standard on consoles is utterly ridiculous and a little tiring. 60 fps is a pc standard, not console. The reason is fixed, undeepowered hardware. Until a console ships with bleeding edge hardware that costs over a 1000 dollars or Devs make their next gen games exclusively with last gen graphics we will not see a 60 fps standard for certain types of games. End of story.

CthulhuPL

So I've played it and... I have my doubts... Where is inventory? Where are souls or other currency dropping out of enemies? No character development? Overall it's still Souls game at it's core gameplay and I like it but... I hope this is still an RPG.

Also I miss "You have died"...

So I've played it and... I have my doubts... Where is inventory? Where are souls or other currency dropping out of enemies? No character development? Overall it's still Souls game at it's core gameplay and I like it but... I hope this is still an RPG.

Of course its still a rpg. You don't see you have died because you don;t even see yourself respawn. A lot things are still in progress like the death penalty (notice how there's no souls counter).

CthulhuPL

Of course its still a rpg. You don't see you have died because you don;t even see yourself respawn. A lot things are still in progress like the death penalty (notice how there's no souls counter).

I would agree with you BUT... There is so little time to February release date and I have also participated in Dark Souls 2 beta which occured a year ago (and the game was released in March) and there was almost everything in place just like in final version. Maybe it's a difference between alpha and beta? This has to be very early code.

It's an alpha designed to do nothing more than test network features. It's obviously going to have all of these things.

Top Bottom