• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne load times look to be a bit longer than hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryvBy

Considering you are the one who suggested this thread in the "games with the worst loading time" thread I'm not surprised I guess this is the new concern and docking review points because of long load times? really. I wonder why not add points then for best loading times ... hint The Order and Driveclub.

You've never read a review with a negative being that the load times are long?

Coming off a series that embraced minimalist load times and had rotating, complex lore of various items you may not have encountered yet to give you something interesting during loading screens, this sucks. Like really bad.

If the Day One patch improves it, that'd be swell.

Just out of curiosity, if the choices were between getting artwork (like Demon's Souls) or getting item descriptions (like DS1/2) during loading screens, which would you guys prefer?

My vote is with character artwork. I fuckin loved the Demon's Souls load screens.
Always lore. Always always always. Hated Demon's loading, having gone backwards from DkS1.

First Gaf complains about From changing the lighting in Dark Souls 2, and now that Bloodborne seems to remedy that problem, loading is the new issue... Even though every souls game I've played has had this before.

Carry on

I watched a stream, and it was only the first area, but load times seemed worse than DeS and DS1. I heard DS2 was pretty bad, but I played that on PC. Note: this is NOT the same as every other Souls game, unless DS2 was the same on console.

Sony exclusives always bring out the best of GAF.

Yeah, sure, objectively long load times sure do reflect badly on Sony trolls.

Or wait, was it GAF has a pro-Sony bias?

It's hard to keep track of these conspiracy theories.

Either way, a load time over 30 seconds is overly long. Hopefully this is fixed with a patch. Hopefully it's only under certain circumstances like some people in this thread are suggesting (looking at you, Halo 3). Hopefully they add something to the loading screen so it's not such a big issue.

I'm hyped as they come for this game. Seriously, bought a console for it and people are talking "masterpiece" level quality, but if the load times are bad then the load times are bad. I've passed up games like Lego City for bad load times, and barely touched Wipeout 2048 because of them (see avatar, huge fan). They can and do affect people's experience of a game in a major way.

Yes, I'll still be here day 1 for Bloodborne. Yes, I will complain if the load times are bad.

I watched a stream, and it was only the first area, but load times seemed worse than DeS and DS1. I heard DS2 was pretty bad, but I played that on PC. Note: this is NOT the same as every other Souls game, unless DS2 was the same on console.
DS2 was stupid bad on console, from what I saw of watching friends play.

spliced

That's very disappointing, I was hoping long load times were mostly a thing of the past. I can't go back to the PSX days...the horror...

They should probably get the B team to fix it for them. ;)

Vroadstar

You've never read a review with a negative being that the load times are long?

No I haven't please be kind enough to give a link....Tell you what, I've never read a review where they add points for super fast loading times, if that happened, I'm pretty sure The Order and Driveclub will have better metarcritic scores

Despera

Banned
Always lore. Always always always. Hated Demon's loading, having gone backwards from DkS1.
You know an even better way to do it is to allow the player to manually shuffle through different item descriptions.

Something similar to how Lords of The Fallen did it, but with lore instead of hints:

Kh4n00S.jpg

Alo0oy

Banned
The long load times aren't what's bothering, the loading screens themselves are, it would be so boring staring at the same loading screen for hundreds of hours, they need to do it like Demon's Souls & put character artwork.

You know an even better way to do it is to allow the player to manually shuffle through different item descriptions.

Something similar to how Lords of The Fallen did it, but with lore instead of hints:
Being able to manually scroll would make me a bit of a fiend, trying to read as much as I can since most of that lore and item descriptions aren't available until the endgame, or may be showing me something I haven't found.

If lore =/= item descriptions, then that makes more sense, I think.

I for one appreciate the lack of spoilers on the loading screen. I don't want to know about some random lore I haven't encountered myself yet.

Scrawnton

And now people found something to complain about.

I'm not worried about the thirty second load times. Gives me time to text my girlfriend or give her attention when she's here. Bloodborne preserves relationships.

Phazon

Eh, I don't mind. Playing tons of Guild Wars 2 recently with an old CPU gives me over 2 minutes of map loading every time I change the map, more or less, so I'm used to it unfortunately :/

Put it on a SSD and it's 15-25 seconds ^^

Phazon

No I haven't please be kind enough to give a link....Tell you what, I've never read a review where they add points for super fast loading times, if that happened, I'm pretty sure The Order and Driveclub will have better metarcritic scores

When I notice fast or very slow loading times in a game, I pretty much always write it down in my reviews. And yes, that influences the score of the game.

I for one appreciate the lack of spoilers on the loading screen. I don't want to know about some random lore I haven't encountered myself yet.
I can see that perspective, I suppose. If it was a linear story and not disconnected pieces of lore it'd be kinda bad. I suppose finding weapons/armor/items and reading them should be a reward and having them shoved at you before you find them could be seen as tiresome though.

Personally I just love having something insanely interesting to read. I'm kinda surprised people want static images, but I guess character art > a logo.

DryvBy

Try looking up Duke Nukem Forever, Mass Effect, Skyrim on PS3 just to name a few. Load times have been a complaint before.

You can relax and lower your shields. Load times aren't deflating hype.

roytheone

Dragon age: Inquisition also does this:

and docking review points because of long load times? really. I wonder why not add points then for best loading times ... hint The Order and Driveclub.

What is wrong with docking review points because of long load times? If I had to wait 40 seconds every time I died in dark souls 1/2, that would impact my enjoyment of the game,and if I were to write a review, I will lower the score because of this.

And just because something bad will cost a game a couple of points doesn't necessarily mean that if it is not present, you should add points. For example, if a game crashes a lot, it will rightfully lose points, but a game that is very stable shouldn't have points added to their score because of that, it simply wouldn't lose those points. You shouldn't have to reward a game that simply works, but you should punish a game that doesn't work properly.

Scrawnton

35seconds... Ugh, that sounds much worst than Donkey King TF. Wonder how much an SSD would speed that up.

I thought the load times were fine in DK:TF. Much like Bloodborne, or souls games, the long load times helps me reflect upon why I died and learn from the experience. Instant loading would make me more careless.

I'm always amazed at the things people will put up with. Having to stare at a blank screen for >35 seconds every time you die sounds soul-crushing; that shit's way too long, yet people leap at the chance to defend it. Like when AC Unity was coming out and streams showed it ran at like 18FPS and people were still saying "Whatever, just enjoy the game". There's such a thing as setting your standards too low :p

I thought the load times were fine in DK:TF. Much like Bloodborne, or souls games, the long load times helps me reflect upon why I died and learn from the experience. Instant loading would make me more careless.

I never know when people are trying to take the piss any more...

Soriku

You can reflect while the game is loaded. You're not instantly put into the action.

I also don't need 35+ seconds or whatever for reflection.

Scrawnton

I'm always amazed at the things people will put up with. Having to stare at a blank screen for >35 seconds every time you die sounds soul-crushing; that shit's way too long, yet people leap at the chance to defend it. Like when AC Unity was coming out and streams showed it ran at like 18FPS and people were still saying "Whatever, just enjoy the game". There's such a thing as setting your standards too low :p

There is no defense for loading screens. Loading screens stink, but they personally do not affect me when they are around 30 seconds. Heck, borderlands launched on PS3 with minute plus loading from area to area and I still enjoyed that game. It takes some video games a good bit of time to load, it happens. GTA online takes forever to load a session and a mission and there's not much going on there when it happens.

People acting like loading screens won't exist because it's a ps4 must have gotten their hopes up. Loading times will always exist in some form.

Fliesen

Helsinki Syndrome at its finest.

as in Helsinki, Sweden

Scrawnton

That is a terrible excuse

Not excusing load times, and they may still bug you. It's just my opinion on load times. I'm fine with them. Time to text, check emails, get a drink, take a stretch, think about work, etc.,

Loading times don't bug ME because I have other things in life to deal with than just gaming at all times.

No ones actually going to stare at a blank screen for 35+ seconds come on. The hyperbole is real. Its an issue yes but not anything like holy shit worthy.

tuna_love

Banned
Not excusing load times, and they may still bug you. It's just my opinion on load times. I'm fine with them. Time text text, check emails, get a drink, take a stretch, think about work, etc.,

Loading times don't bug ME because I have other things in life to deal with than just gaming at all times.
What exactly are you trying to say here? People who aren't bothered by long loading times have more to there life than gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom