• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne load times look to be a bit longer than hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.
The long load times in the Bloodborne Network Test (or whatever it was called) made me consider buying an SSD for my PS4 in hopes it would improve the experience.
Too bad that they haven't "fixed" the loading, since I ended up not forking out for the SSD (who knows if it even shortens the load times noticably).

First Gaf complains about From changing the lighting in Dark Souls 2, and now that Bloodborne seems to remedy that problem, loading is the new issue... Even though every souls game I've played has had this before.

Carry on

ClearData

I hope my SSHD mitigates some of that loading time. It isn't that huge an issue for me though.

Edit: What loading times were people hoping for OP?

borborygmus

First Gaf complains about From changing the lighting in Dark Souls 2, and now that Bloodborne seems to remedy that problem, loading is the new issue... Even though every souls game I've played has had this before.

Carry on

...Is this some kind of performance art?

aly

2.69 GB is small?

Or I should say that it was much smaller than I thought for adding online and all that was suppose to come in a day 1 patch.

What bugs me the most about the loading is how varied it is. Sometimes it's up to 45 seconds and sometimes it's only 15 going to and from the same areas.

DryvBy

Carry on

What system were you playing Souls on? Because I have them on PS3 and PC. The load times are not this long. They're long, but at least there was something to read while you wait.

This isn't an anti-Bloodborne thread. This is talking about a legit complaint people might have with the game. Long load times have affected scores in reviews before too.

Shredderi

As someone who plays the Dark Souls games on PC this .webm hurts my heart. I thought the loading in BB was long only when traveling between areas vs dying (which I heard was in the order of ~10 seconds) but this .webm puts that assumption in doubt.

Did the player respawn in the same area or several areas back? Please answer back in a spoiler tag, i guess.

Whoa whoa. I had no idea the load times would be this long after dying. In a game where you are probably going to die a whole lot that is criminally long. Huge bummer. Wasn't loading times etc. supposed to be better on the new consoles?

UnrealEck

But why? I though GDDR5 was super fast.

There's different speeds of memory interface even among GDDR5. PS4's won't be particularly fast, but it'll be fast enough for the APU anyway.
However, the problem is the hard drive. Storage drives are one of the slowest parts of a computer. Even SSDs are slow compared to transfer rates of other components.

But wouldn't the level and character assets remain in RAM unless purposely erased?

Yes, some of it and honestly, it seems like there should be enough memory to store a lot of the data from a level you're in without needing to load for a while.
These are the kind of load times I'd expect from some crazy high res textures. Data shouldn't need to be swapped out and reloaded like this. But who knows what's going on. Maybe it'll be patched.

bosseye

Might get a bit frustrating given how often I die in Souls games, but nevermind. Its a missed opportunity if its just the logo though, the loading screen is a good time to give me snippets about the world, character art, environment art, bits of lore etc etc.

That seems like it will get frustrating pretty quickly, especially if the number of times you is die is even remotely close to that in Demon's or Dark Souls.

Odd that they wouldn't make sure the load times were as short as possible.

GnawtyDog

Banned
This is separate from the gazillion other Bloodborne threads, so what's with the thread shitting? :/

Well for starters there is not much discussion to have so it will lead to trolling and thread shitting. Offense and defense.

Fact is unless a patch is released to address the issue, the loading times in the game are what they are. Kaput - end of. Btw there is no average out there, just observations. They are not outrageously long, but they are not quick and snappy either.

GorillaJu

There was a patch but it didn't affect load times. They aren't "post-patch" load times in the sense that they weren't changed at all. There may be a patch in the future to either reduce load times or make the loading screen less boring.

SgtCobra

I thought that was the patch that's already live?
I don't think so, "day one" is next week tuesday. Also, there's this
Don't know if he's credible or not but w/e
:
I talked to someone last night high up the chain in the BB project and they're aware that the biggest complaint is the load times, and the boring loading screen. It's not my place to say whether that will be patched (and if so, when) but it sounded to me like they'll work something out, so that's something.
From pls.

What really sucks is the loading screen is just a black screen with the Bloodborne logo on it.

At least the Souls games had a bit of flavour text to read while you waited. Maybe since loot is so limited in BB they didnt have enough item descriptions to do that again without it being super repetitive?

Gattsu25

Banned
Whoa whoa. I had no idea the load times would be this long after dying. In a game where you are probably going to die a whole lot that is criminally long. Huge bummer. Wasn't loading times etc. supposed to be better on the new consoles?
Load times depend on a lot of thing. Games sizes are dramatically larger this gen (it's why modern games look/sound so much better compared to last gen) and it takes time to read data off a HDD. In most cases, more data = longer load times. It's a natural consequence, IMO. We likely need to wait for the SSD revolution to take over console gaming to see large gains here.

That said, we don't know if this .webm is someone dying and respawning in the same area. I previously read that load times under that circumstance (respawn within the same area) was a ~10 second affair.

Can someone confirm that the player is respawning within the same area that they died in?

fedexpeon

Banned
Why is there a new thread about this?
It is literally in every BB topics.

Anyway, yeah, it is pretty bad.
However, if they add random pictures/descriptions, it would improve the loading time in a lot of people mind.
Time is just a psychological effect on you anyway.
Time can pass by quickly when you are distracted by something else.
And a Bloodborne logo isn't good enough to do the job.

Ostinatto

That's when you load a level from scratch, but if you start from a checkpoint you shouldn't need to overwrite the data currently stored in the RAM.

But maybe the person died in a different area from the checkpoint? maybe that causes the game to load the level from scratch?

bombshell

What really sucks is the loading screen is just a black screen with the Bloodborne logo on it.

At least the Souls games had a bit of flavour text to read while you waited. Maybe since loot is so limited in BB they didnt have enough item descriptions to do that again without it being super repetitive?

Loot isn't limited.

I tweeted bloodbornes producer about the loading screen hopefully it means something.
uggghh its the only thing ive got to complain about.

SmokyDave

No, these were load times that were longer than we had hoped:

C64combo.jpg

1541? Pffft, try living with a 1530 :(

borborygmus

OddMorsel said:
I talked to someone last night high up the chain in the BB project and they're aware that the biggest complaint is the load times, and the boring loading screen. It's not my place to say whether that will be patched (and if so, when) but it sounded to me like they'll work something out, so that's something.

I tweeted bloodbornes producer about the loading screen hopefully it means something.
uggghh its the only thing ive got to complain about.

This is good. I hope they can do something about it.

GorillaJu

Sooo is there another patch or not...

Can i hold out hope for better loading screens.

There is a patch out that people who have the game early have updated with. There is going to be a day 1 patch as well (the patch out right now is not the Day 1 patch). I am not positive but I think its very unlikely that load times are affected in the Day 1 patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom