• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne load times look to be a bit longer than hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oppo

It really does.
No reason there is nothing to look at while the game is loading.

Here, FROM. Lemme help you out. Put this anim you already made on the load screen:

vZD8wz.gif

loop it

enjoy the applause

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
"bloodborne"?
That's it?
No cool artworks or item descriptions?

It's such an obvious thing that most of us here would have thought to add in, so I wonder why From didn't do it.
So far this seems to be the only major flaw with the game. Let's hope they listen to the community and patch in something later.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I'm fully aware this would be a hated idea, but I'd rather they give you the option to instantly retry a boss fight if you die. Running back to a boss after a 2-3 second load time is one thing, but this is going to be a pain.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
On the other hand, you've got the 'I was always going to love this game no matter what' cats running around like headless chickens because other people might not think that their much loved tent pole exclusive is completely flawless. Also known as 'Uncharted 3 Review Thread Syndrome'.

Something about tentpole exclusives seems to lower the average gamer IQ by about 70%.
I find these people way more annoying. It's obnoxious how they pat each other on the back and whip into a frenzy if you even try to bring up anything negative about a game they haven't even played yet.

35s+ load times without anything to look at is a legitimate concern, especially when you plan to die a lot. Games like Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami would be unplayable if they had to load at all on any death. Obviously no load is unrealistic for a game like this, but this is too far on the other end of the spectrum.

GavinGT

Banned
Finally, a fatal flaw has been found in this pillar of an exclusive. Warriors, swarm!

I am not saying this isn't a legitimate issue at all but damn if this isn't the news a lot of people were waiting to see, something negative. Now to bombard the game with horrendous jokes and random jabs about price-load time prices etc.

I just bought a PS4 specifically for Bloodborne, and I'm concerned about this news. Not "concern-trolling", but legitimately concerned.

Neoweee

I'm fully aware this would be a hated idea, but I'd rather they give you the option to instantly retry a boss fight if you die. Running back to a boss after a 2-3 second load time is one thing, but this is going to be a pain.

I agree with your general idea. Load times, and having to repeat content to get to the part you died at, are two things that each lead to frustration. Having both of them together compounds quickly.

It's like comparing Super Meat Boy to dying in Mario U's Challenge Mode and getting dumped back to a select screen.

This thread might be concern trolling, but I'm okay with it. Some things (like loads) from the early players are definitely somewhat hype-deflating.

of course its going to be a pain. You cant just casually think "hey, lets just first die a few times to observe what the boss does and instantly retry. no big deal." When i first encounter soul bosses, i aim to win. The "die a few times to observe the boss moveset" never cross my mind because it is going to be a pain in the ass go all the way back. Its the totally different mindset than playing stuff like DmC or Ninja Gaiden. I love it.

Randam

It's such an obvious thing that most of us here would have thought to add in, so I wonder why From didn't do it.
So far this seems to be the only major flaw with the game. Let's hope they listen to the community and patch in something later.
And that's the real flaw here, not the loading times!

Neoweee

of course its going to be a pain. You cant just casually think "hey, lets just first die a few times to observe what the boss does and instantly retry. no big deal." When i first encounter soul bosses, i aim to win. The "die a few times to observe the boss moveset" never cross my mind because it is going to be a pain in the ass go all the way back. Its the totally different mindset than playing stuff like DmC or Ninja Gaiden. I love it.

There are going to be a bunch of cases now where the load times are longer than the hikes back to the boss, you know.

gaming_noob

Finally, a fatal flaw has been found in this pillar of an exclusive. Warriors, swarm!

I am not saying this isn't a legitimate issue at all but damn if this isn't the news a lot of people were waiting to see, something negative. Now to bombard the game with horrendous jokes and random jabs about price-load time prices etc.

This blanket statement really bothers me. Makes me feel guilty about having my say in a video game forum.

zoukka

As a child I thought that framerate, loading times, tearing, popup and bugs would all improve over time as tech got better.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I find these people way more annoying. It's obnoxious how they pat each other on the back and whip into a frenzy if you even try to bring up anything negative about a game they haven't even played yet.

35s+ load times without anything to look at is a legitimate concern, especially when you plan to die a lot. Games like Super Meat Boy and Hotline Miami would be unplayable if they had to load at all on any death. Obviously no load is unrealistic for a game like this, but this is too far on the other end of the spectrum.

A "legitimate concern"? Please.
A legitimate concern would be if there were claims of it setting your PS4 on fire.
It's a little boring/underwhelming at worst.

Also average single play loop in SMB and HM can range roughly between 2-60 seconds.
I'd wager average single loop in BB will be anywhere from 2-60 minutes.
A 35 second load (if that) isn't going to kill you. Use the time to take a sip of tea/beer, give your partner a hug, or consider about how you could do better next time.

drotahorror

We'll always be limited by our hard drive on a console.

Also, these load times are horrific.

I suppose I'll just have to play better and not die :)

Its funny i don't remember people bitching about the constant loading in Fable. Every time you reached a new part of the map it was loading.. Constant loading that lasted at least 30 seconds

Jigorath

Banned
I wish games went back to having minigames in the loading screen like Symphony of the Night. Makes waiting much more fun.

Fliesen

A legitimate concern would be if there were claims of it setting your PS4 on fire.

Also average single play loop in SMB and HM can range roughly between 2-60 seconds.

A 35 second load (if that) isn't going to kill you. Use the time to take a sip of tea/beer, give your partner a hug, or consider about how you could do better next time.

see, that's a perfectly reasonable argument for "it's not that bad (length wise)"
but this thread has people going literally "longer load times are better because they motivate you to get better and allow you to do some chores in between respawns", which is pretty insane.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What can you say. From are great game creators, but tech wizards they are not. None of their games have ever been impressive in that regard, so it's not surprising that their data loading/streaming isn't all that.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
see, that's a perfectly reasonable argument for "it's not that bad (length wise)"
but this thread has people going literally "longer load times are better because they motivate you to get better and allow you to do some chores in between respawns", which is pretty insane.

Hehe, I dunno about chores, but I'll definitely be using the time to take a deep breath and reflect ;)

Look on the bright side, folks: Bloodborne is finally here. (Consider the last 10 months the longest load time of your life.)

Yeah, er, no. It's not.

Also, I'm amazed this is new thread-worthy discussion.

B-Genius, you seem more concerned with other people being concerned about this. If it doesn't concern you, if you find 35-second load times completely acceptable with certain games, then great. However, this minimising of other people's thoughts is weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom