• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne load times look to be a bit longer than hoped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fliesen

It's 30 seconds when you first load the game, whenever you go back and forth from the HUB and when you die. Provided you do each of those every 15~30 minutes I think this is the very definition of "first world problems"
This thread is giving me the impression that it will be 30-45 seconds everytime you die. I hope what you're saying is true.

And that "first world problem" comment is redundant and pointless as hell. We're on a video game forum for god's sake.

Minamu

If you die a lot (which most new people will be doing), this load screen could cause them to just quit. I've been there with games I've liked depending on how frequent I had to load.
That's true, although I'm far from new myself. I wonder what could possibly cause this load time? Slow response xD

dugdug

Banned
A long loading time sucks, but, let's face it. If we're playing games as often as we are, we can spare an extra 30 fucking seconds every now and then.

Aenima

Only an average of 716 times per playthrough:

http://darksoulsdeaths.com/cgi-bin/stats.py

If each of those deaths resulted in a 30-second load, that would be 5 hours of loading screen staring. And that's not counting the loading screens that aren't a result of dying. Every time you want to go to the hub and back, that's two loading screens.
Not even in my total acumulated dead count between all 3 souls games, including ng+ runs i have a total of 700 deaths.

The souls game i died most was in the 1st run of Demons, as was also my 1st souls game i died alot. Even so at the end of my 1st run my death count was around 80 deaths.
In all other runs and new Souls games i died much less. I must have died around 15 times in my last run of Dark Souls 2.

DryvBy

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I can do all of your suggested activities in under 20 seconds. The fact that you have to come up with things to do to mitigate sitting through that load is ridiculous. Take a step back and think about that.

This isn't about grasping at straws to make Bloodborne look bad. This is about getting it to be the best game it can be. You people are so blinded by your hype train gifs and yoshichan orgasming in caps lock at every screenshot that it's embarassing. Between those people and the ones in here spamming "git gud" unironically, I'm ashamed to ever say I'm a part of the souls community even with 400+ hours played total. The gamefaqs community is better than this for christ's sake.

I didn't feel obliged to come up with those things to do. They were just suggestions, potentially for the benefit of impatient people. And yo, if you can do all 3 of those things in 20 seconds... hats off to you. I guess you're a bit of a go-getter.

You think I'm saying this out of some blind love for the series? You think I care that you're comparing this "community" (it's a thread full of people arguing over nothing) to another part of the internet? You want to make this game the best it can be? Well, start learning some code and some Japanese and get on over to Japan. I'm sure it'll be a cinch.

And for the record, Yoshichan is charming. He's like the GAF Souls mascot. What did he ever do to you to warrant such an outburst? Put him on Ignore if you need to. Put ME on Ignore if you need to. That way you can make this forum an echo chamber to suit your own needs.

This thread is giving me the impression that it will be 30-45 seconds everytime you die. I hope what you're saying is true.

And that "first world problem" comment is redundant and pointless as hell. We're on a video game forum for god's sake.
It's 30~45 seconds when you die, yes. But even if you get stuck in a really hard part and die the moment you step in somewhere, you'll take what, 10 minutes between deaths? 30 second loadings every 10 minutes is nothing.

If it's "pointless" because we are in a video game forum then why are we complaining about fucking loading times in the first place?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
there's a real conversation to be had about console exclusives, PC ports and video game archival

it seems ludicrous to me that we can't play, for example, Journey on a modern gaming platform. There's no reason this shouldn't be the case. PC ports are vital.

Despera

Banned
35 seconds doesn't seem too long, but that's just me

edit:

Ok, just timed and yeah, its a bit long
Indeed. Imagine going through an intense section of the game, your adrenaline levels sky rocketing... and out of nowhere something jumps you and you die. Now for a 40sec load screen

start the timer

It's pretty bad as is, but when you're in the thick of it and all of a sudden you're forced to wait, time feels like it's moving slower. Not to mention nothing being on the screen but the word bloodborne.

Instead of getting something like this;

Gb0jJ2z.png

the loading screen its just the Bloodborne logo all the time?

All that atmospheric stuff is the reason why Demon's is still king, imo.

Bluenoser

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I'm fairly certain the load times of your hard drive are greatly influenced by how full it is. I started seeing some longer load times in Dragon Age, so I deleted a bunch of games I wasn't playing and it was faster, and the UI in general for PS4 was more responsive.

Just anecdotal I'm afraid, but maybe the person in that video had a really full HDD that was not performing optimally?

That's pretty terrible, long load times is what greatly killed my enjoyment playing games like Skyrim and New Vegas, but I'm sure it's just my warrior concern talking.

gai_shain

If it's "pointless" because we are in a video game forum then why are we complaining about fucking loading times in the first place?

Because its part of a game and we are on a video game forum and someone made a thread about it to talk about the issue? Im not sure I understand where you are going with that

i-Lo

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I'm fairly certain the load times of your hard drive are greatly influenced by how full it is. I started seeing some longer load times in Dragon Age, so I deleted a bunch of games I wasn't playing and it was faster, and the UI in general for PS4 was more responsive.

Just anecdotal I'm afraid, but maybe the person in that video had a really full HDD that was not performing optimally?

Rebuilding database also helps the situation as it performs quick defragmentation.

there's a real conversation to be had about console exclusives, PC ports and video game archival

it seems ludicrous to me that we can't play, for example, Journey on a modern gaming platform. There's no reason this shouldn't be the case. PC ports are vital.

Not even stealth port begging. Lol.

It's 30~45 seconds when you die, yes. But even if you get stuck in a really hard part and die the moment you step in somewhere, you'll take what, 10 minutes between deaths? 30 second loadings every 10 minutes is nothing.

This forum IS for discussing videogames. 99% of things complained about here (yes you probably complained about something here too at one point) are first world problems, so it's an extremely pointless thing to point out here.

If this is anything like my Dark Souls play through, then I'll be dying more often than that.... Lol

Sometimes it seems to me like some people have been living under a rock that this generation uncovered, as if some of the issues these moderns games have are unheard of. "What, it's not 60fps? Pre-order cancelled, games under 30fps make me sick. My favorite game of all time is Ocarina of Time, such a masterpiece."

"What it's not 1080p? I only buy 1080p, my favorite console generation was the PS3/360 era and I love Super Mario Galaxy"

And now the load times... when I'm certain I've played game with load times just as long if not longer.

The only thing disappointing about the loading in Bloodborne, to me, is that they didn't use it to show off item descriptions or artwork from the game, instead it's just the static logo, but even that complaint I realize is nitpicking.

Because its part of a game and we are on a video game forum and someone made a thread about it to talk about the issue? Im not sure I understand where you are going with that
I'm answering the guy saying that calling complaining about 30 second loadings between 15~30 minute play sessions "first world problems" is pointless because it's a videogame forum.

load times are kinda something Sony dropped the ball on this gen, after essentially saying they were gonna go away when they first revealed PS4's features.

but whatever some games are worth it, hopefully Bloodborne is one of them.

It's a feature

Basically From wants you to go in a corner and think about what you've done.

While there you realize, "oh sh** to beat that boss i coulda...."

barit

It only gives you enough time to recap what the fuck you have done WRONG

win-win

Edit: The exact same thought above me. Gaf scares me

I've lived with worse. Not really seeing what the huge deal is here - maybe eventually they'll be able to patch it down like they did with Dark Souls 2, but a lengthy loading time isn't that big a problem for me.

Hoo-doo

Banned
As if you're dying all the time. What?

Souls games are not played like unreal tournament. You creep through the world step by step tackling encounters one by one. The risks and consequences of dying are so great you try your damnedest to avoid it at all cost.
The only times I die frequently in souls games are in boss attempts, to be honest. and 30 seconds is hardly going to ruin my experience.

But that's just me. I'm sure some people are canceling fictional pre-orders as I type this.

Load times don't bother me as much as the boring loading screen. Give us some character art or something!

From what I've seen of the streams, the actual load times don't seem any worse than Demon's/Dark Souls on PS3. I think some people have been spoiled by the PC release and those crazy fast load times. Either way, it won't stop me from enjoying the game.

There's a big difference between defending and ridiculing minor concerns.

No one here would complain if they improved the loading times
Part of the art of defending is trying to decide what's a minimal or major problem for other people with concerns, I'd say these two are overlapping pretty good in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom