• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Kinsei

Banned
Ah so if I go forest and notice central, turn around and come back later right?

By that point you'll want to continue just a little bit in order to open the clinic for later. You really don't want to have to go through the cave a second time.

Sarcasm

By that point you'll want to continue just a little bit in order to open the clinic for later. You really don't want to have to go through the cave a second time.

What exactly triggers from the clinic that makes you unable to get an
umbilical cord
?

I assume there is a lantern before the trigger.

I used these starting guides myself, and it worked very well for me.

A Guide to Choosing Your Starting Class and Weapons in Bloodborne:
http://www.craveonline.com/site/837...your-starting-class-and-weapons-in-bloodborne
This Suggested Starting Build for Bloodborne is Remarkably Effective:
http://www.craveonline.com/site/837...build-bloodborne-origin-class-skill-effective

It's also advisable to use spare Blood Echoes to buy Blood Vials, so you won't run out of them. In the beginning, levelling up your weapon, and finding/buying an outfit with better defense stats, is more useful than levelling up your character. You can find a plenty of Blood Stone Shards for weapon upgrades, and Coldblood Dews to exchange to Blood Echoes in the first area.

I feel that these are pretty dated - I like the Cane, but it's rather difficult to wield effectively compared to the other two starter weapons and the damage output is pretty bad in comparison.

My recommended starter class is Military Veteran since it has the lowest amount of Bloodtinge and Arcane, which a person new to the game shouldn't be touching anyway unless they want 15 ARC later on for Hunter Tools (which for the most part aren't worth it in PVE) and respectable offensive and defensive stats. Work on getting Vitality to 30 and Endurance to 20 and then work on getting strength and skill to 25 each - this way, you can try out the majority of the weapons in the game and decide which ones you like the most. For the most part, I think offensive stats don't really carry their weight until end game where you have upgraded weapons to abuse those stats, so health and stamina are more important.

The easiest set up IMO would be starting off with the Saw Cleaver and then grabbing a Ludwig's Holy Blade when you get the chance, those two weapons are amongst the best in the game and are generally not too difficult to use.

Melchiah

I feel that these are pretty dated - I like the Cane, but it's rather difficult to wield effectively compared to the other two starter weapons and the damage output is pretty bad in comparison.

My recommended starter class is Military Veteran since it has the lowest amount of Bloodtinge and Arcane, which a person new to the game shouldn't be touching anyway unless they want 15 ARC later on for Hunter Tools (which for the most part aren't worth it in PVE) and respectable offensive and defensive stats. Work on getting Vitality to 30 and Endurance to 20 and then work on getting strength and skill to 25 each - this way, you can try out the majority of the weapons in the game and decide which ones you like the most. For the most part, I think offensive stats don't really carry their weight until end game where you have upgraded weapons to abuse those stats, so health and stamina are more important.

The easiest set up IMO would be starting off with the Saw Cleaver and then grabbing a Ludwig's Holy Blade when you get the chance, those two weapons are amongst the best in the game and are generally not too difficult to use.

I couldn't disagree more with that, since I went through the main game and DLC on normal and NG+, and all the chalices, with the Threaded Cane. It's very useful against mobs, keeping enemies at bay, and against larger foes, or those with an extended reach, particularly in the chalices. Its whip form also makes some annoying enemies, like the Hateful Maggots, less frustrating to handle. It may be less effective in the beginning, but it really starts to shine later on. Personally, I didn't have issues with it in the early areas, eventhough it was my first proper Souls-like experience.

I only used Tonitrus against R
om
, since I ran out of Bolt Paper, and Ludwig's Holy Blade against E
brietas
on the first playthrough. Plus, Holy Moonlight Sword against O
rphan of Kos
on both normal and NG+ DLC runs. Those are the only bosses, where I found another weapon to be more useful. I actually tried to beat the H
eadless Bloodletting Beast
in the Ihyll chalice with +10 Saw Cleaver and Whirligig Saw, but it was the Cane that got the job done. EDIT: That's partly because I had more experience with it, and partly because it's easier to hit an enemy like that with the whip, which also adds +20% damage against beasts.

The experience may vary greatly with different players, but I feel like the Cane is needlessly judged, and labelled as the "hard mode". I'm inclined to believe, that many of those who say it's weak, might have abandoned the weapon in the early stages.

Melchiah

Playing through NG+ and I'm still convinced, Rom is a terribly designed boss. So annoying and tedious to fight.

She's probably the boss I dislike the most in the game, chalices and DLC included. She's even more pain in the ass in the chalices, due to the cramped space.

She's probably the boss I dislike the most in the game, chalices and DLC included. She's even more pain in the ass in the chalices, due to the cramped space.

The problem I have is that it requires very little skill in regards to timing. I die usually because a spider one hit kills me, or the attack Rom does from the sky is obscured because of the camera.

Sarcasm

If you go into Iosefka's room before beating Rom.

So is there a lantern before going in? I am worrying so much as game is borrowed so I need to be really careful, if you can link the maps and whatnot, I am looking at the wiki right now, that would be cool.

Melchiah

So is there a lantern before going in? I am worrying so much as game is borrowed so I need to be really careful, if you can link the maps and whatnot, I am looking at the wiki right now, that would be cool.

You can go there before the boss, as long as you don't go upstairs. That way you can open the shortcut beforehand.

Don't worry, you get to Iosefka's room by going on to the rooftops, and entering the building through the window. When you're​ in there, her room is through a door, then up a sort of spiral staircase. If you're in the right place (well wrong place in your case because you don't want to confront her yet), which is near the bottom of the stairs leading up to her room, she'll start talking to you. If she does, just back away. The exit for this area leads you through the door where you talk to Iosefka normally which is near the first lantern in the game.

As long as you've opened up the shortcut that leads to the roof (to save going through the swamp again) you'll be fine.

I finally beat the game after being stuck at the "Grant Us Eyes!!!" Guy for more than 6 months... this game is so good. Can't wait to go back and do the dlc.

Whenever I could not kill Rom on my first try in NG/ NG+/ NG++/ Chalice I just killed the adds in the 2nd try and killed him alone.

It makes the fight longer but 100% safe.

Do not take any risks with Rom's adds - just kill them, they do not respawn (surprise, surprise).

The God

Orphan of Kos is the worst boss of all time. Bullshit for the sake of bullshit. Had to summon because I just wanted to get it over with.

Beat the game and the DLC. Overall it was amazing with some bullshit moments sprinkled in (Kos, Forbidden Woods)

I really hope Sony and From work together again

h0tp0ck3t

Whenever I could not kill Rom on my first try in NG/ NG+/ NG++/ Chalice I just killed the adds in the 2nd try and killed him alone.

It makes the fight longer but 100% safe.

Do not take any risks with Rom's adds - just kill them, they do not respawn (surprise, surprise).

My experience was always the opposite lol. The only times I was ever able to beat him is when I just bum rush him.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Orphan of Kos is the worst boss of all time. Bullshit for the sake of bullshit. Had to summon because I just wanted to get it over with.

Beat the game and the DLC. Overall it was amazing with some bullshit moments sprinkled in (Kos, Forbidden Woods)

Same. I did the entire game + dlc on my own but with Kos I was just tired and wanted to get the game done so I summoned someone. I actually like the forbidden woods though. I had trouble with the boss on my first playthrough but overall the area isn't too bad I don't think.

Took like a week but Sony finally rewarded me with a theme for getting the platinum for this game. Seems like they're still doing that.

Never realized how close I was to the platinum, was stuck on Watchdog in Defiled Chalice for so long. Them implementing NPC summons got me through that one as I could keep beating the dog while it was focused on the NPC. The other really difficult boss is Orphan of Kos, which I also had to summon a player for.

myco666

Nah it is fantastic. There is nothing bullshit about it.

Oh boy , that theme... Platinumed the game 1 month after release.... I still waiting for that theme lol

You sure you have allowed sony to send email to you?

LordOfChaos

Should I kill darkbeast p before rom?

If you can yeah. Once you circle back around to him after ROM he's pretty much a joke at the level you'll be at by then.

If you can beat him before without ragequitting go for it, it's a challenge that way.

Forbidden woods was spooky and sometimes a challenge, but I wouldn't call it bullshitty. Bullshitty is like invisible one hits or something. Forbidden woods was spooky in a good way.

Now Yahar'gul, Unseen Village, with the respawning enemies (until you figure out where they come from), that was a real pain in the ass at first

sphinx

the piano man
so I tried polaying again, now I can beat enemies, the game opened up a bit and I am in central Yharam (what's it called?)

so my question is, what do I do with blood echoes?? I lost once, they were left where I died and retrieved them, they seem important but I am not sure how can I "use" them and not lose them again dying, cause I am sure I am going to die many more times and often without retrieving.

also.... how do I save? is it all in auto-save, the whole game?

Kinsei

Banned
so I tried polaying again, now I can beat enemies, the game opened up a bit and I am in central Yharam (what's it called?)

so my question is, what do I do with blood echoes?? I lost once, they were left where I died and retrieved them, they seem important but I am not sure how can I "use" them and not lose them again dying, cause I am sure I am going to die many more times and often without retrieving.

also.... how do I save? is it all in auto-save, the whole game?

Blood echoes are both your EXP and your currency. You can spend them once you get your first piece of insight (This will happen automatically once you reach your first boss but you can also get one by finding an item called "Madman's Knowledge").

The game autosaves after pretty much everything? Return to the dream? Save. Pick up an item? Save. Meet an NPC? Save. Die? Save. and so on.

sphinx

the piano man
Blood echoes are both your EXP and your currency. You can spend them once you get your first piece of insight (This will happen automatically once you reach your first boss but you can also get one by finding an item called "Madman's Knowledge").

The game autosaves after pretty much everything? Return to the dream? Save. Pick up an item? Save. Meet an NPC? Save. Die? Save. and so on.

thanks!

I have been going back an forth between the central area and the hunter's dream and everything respawns... so I've been killing enemies to get echoes and buy things.

after I've bought everything I'll continue openning up the area.

LordOfChaos

thanks!

I have been going back an forth between the central area and the hunter's dream and everything respawns... so I've been killing enemies to get echoes and buy things.

after I've bought everything I'll continue openning up the area.

Once you meet your first boss (just see him, not even beat him), you'll get an insight point, that lets you level up in the dream.

sphinx

the piano man
Once you meet your first boss (just see him, not even beat him), you'll get an insight point, that lets you level up in the dream.

got it.

there's this big guy with a huge ax (blade?) that almost insta-kills me.

should I wait to level up and them beat him or is he gone for good if I go ahead in the game?

Kinsei

Banned
got it.

there's this big guy with a huge ax (blade?) that almost insta-kills me.

should I wait to level up and them beat him or is he gone for good if I go ahead in the game?

He's there to tell you that sometimes running away is better than fighting. He'll still be there even at the end of the game so you'll be able to come back and get your revenge.

sphinx

the piano man
He's there to tell you that sometimes running away is better than fighting. He'll still be there even at the end of the game so you'll be able to come back and get your revenge.

yeah I figured out I could beat him now (with lots of patience) but isn't exactly a smart tactic.

ok, I turned it off for today.

I'd reeeally appreciate it if the game would tell me what's my objective... I run and kill but there seems to be no end to it

I went up some stairs to find a pair of wolves that killed me, is there much to do after that? I am not loving starting the part over and over, I do get better though so it's ok so far

Kinsei

Banned
yeah I figured out I could beat him now (with lots of patience) but isn't exactly a smart tactic.

ok, I turned it off for today.

I'd reeeally appreciate it if the game would tell me what's my objective... I run and kill but there seems to be no end to it

I went up some stairs to find a pair of wolves that killed me, is there much to do after that? I am not loving starting the part over and over, I do get better though so it's ok so far

Did you read the notes in the clinic and talk to Gilbert (The guy in the window beside the lamp in Central Yharnam)? Basically you are terminally ill and looking for a cure. Your best bet is blood transfusion and you are currently looking for the pale blood that you think will cure you.

Sarcasm

Shame that PvP in this is just as bad as the rest of the souls game.

Spamming heals even if you parry them while they heal.

With the password system right? Randoms you need to be within a level? (ds3 system)

It's a little more flexible than the one on ds3. Someone with fully upgraded weapons can join your game as long as they're in range. There's a level calculator somewhere that tells you who you can match with based on your level. At level 35 sometimes you can land with someone at level 60.

Kieli

First phase is very fair. He has predictable attacks that hit hard if you mess up. His second phase is absurd. Swings are way too wide and erratic. When he jumps up, the camera bugs the hell out.

Lightning is mostly avoidable though, if you run into the lake.

Only boss in all of SoulsBorne (including all DLC) I haven't beat solo.

Melchiah

First phase is very fair. He has predictable attacks that hit hard if you mess up. His second phase is absurd. Swings are way too wide and erratic. When he jumps up, the camera bugs the hell out.

Lightning is mostly avoidable though, if you run into the lake.

Only boss in all of SoulsBorne (including all DLC) I haven't beat solo.

It's always interesting how these things vary between the players. I've beaten OoK twice, second time on NG+, and while it was hard, it wasn't as hard as Pthumerian Descendant of Ihyll chalice and Champion Gundyr in DS3 were for me. I never would have been able to beat CG without NPC help, and PD took me more tries than any other boss in both.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Just finished the game. Man, is the real ending underwhelming but I guess its a good ending for a potential Bloodborne 2.

Anyway. Game of the Gen without have a serious competitioner. Hope Bloodborne 2 really is going to be made some day.

Now up to the Lore Videos!

Kieli

It's always interesting how these things vary between the players. I've beaten OoK twice, second time on NG+, and while it was hard, it wasn't as hard as Pthumerian Descendant of Ihyll chalice and Champion Gundyr in DS3 were for me. I never would have been able to beat CG without NPC help, and PD took me more tries than any other boss in both.

Oops, forgot the Chalice Dungeon. I don't think I've ever done any of the hard bosses in there. The furthest I got was Rom, who is even more annoying than his PvE counterpart.

RiggyRob

How difficult is Old Hunters on NG+?

Doing a stream of it tomorrow and I've never actually played it, but I have seen playthroughs and I'm pretty sure I can remember most enemy placements.

Not looking forward to Ludwig though, even in co-op...

zoodoo

I am going through the optional quests now (Cainhurst and upper cathedral) and I have reached the bosses in both locations(Ebrietas and Martyr Logarius). They are both kicking my ass. I dont do enough damage to Ebrietas and Logarius second phase is unstoppable.
My stats are as follow:
Ludwig +8
Axe +7

lvl: 81
vit: 31
end: 25
strength: 27
skill: 25
bloodtinge: 8
arcane: 15

I have a feeling that I tried to balance things out too much. I probably should have higher str or skill. Any tips on which boss to tackle first and any good strategy?

How difficult is Old Hunters on NG+?

Doing a stream of it tomorrow and I've never actually played it, but I have seen playthroughs and I'm pretty sure I can remember most enemy placements.

Not looking forward to Ludwig though, even in co-op...

I'd recommend at least like BL80-85+ at bare minimum. It's the hardest content in the game aside from Chalices.

sphinx

the piano man
ok trying again tonight. need some help before I go further.

.- how many hours is a normal straight-to-final-boss playthrough of this game??

I normaly collect all trophies on my games, but BB seems too hard to try it on a first playthrough, I think I'll do myself a huge disservice going for trophies not knowing what's going on, so I'd like to do that on a 2nd playthrough. I'd rather "escape" or avoid any unnecessary confrontations on my first playthrough. How many hours to finish the game like that?

.- I was looking for a strategy guide on amazon and it says it will be released in April 30th, 2017, in exactly a week... this is game is 2015, how come its official guide is releasing two years later? I can preorder now.... https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Collectors-Strategy-Guide-Future/dp/3869930691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492888622&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodborne+guide

Kinsei

Banned
ok trying again tonight. need some help before I go further.

.- how many hours is a normal straight-to-final-boss playthrough of this game??

I normaly collect all trophies on my games, but BB seems too hard to try it on a first playthrough, I think I'll do myself a huge disservice going for trophies not knowing what's going on, so I'd like to do that on a 2nd playthrough. I'd rather "escape" or avoid any unnecessary confrontations on my first playthrough. How many hours to finish the game like that?

.- I was looking for a strategy guide on amazon and it says it will be released in April 30th, 2017, in exactly a week... this is game is 2015, how come its official guide is releasing two years later? I can preorder now.... https://www.amazon.com/Bloodborne-Collectors-Strategy-Guide-Future/dp/3869930691/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492888622&sr=8-1&keywords=bloodborne+guide

The first playthrough when you're still learning the game will take quite a while. I'd say 15+ hours (20+ if you have the DLC and 30+ if you do the chalice dungeons). Your second playthrough should only take around 6 hours.

There was an official guide released back when the game launched. http://www.future-press.com/index.php?sect=books&buch_id=390

sphinx

the piano man
The first playthrough when you're still learning the game will take quite a while. I'd say 15+ hours (20+ if you have the DLC and 30+ if you do the chalice dungeons). Your second playthrough should only take around 6 hours.

There was an official guide released back when the game launched. http://www.future-press.com/index.php?sect=books&buch_id=390

Thanks.

I have the DLC (its included in the Game of the Year Edition right?) and I will very likely go for the Chalice Dungeons.

I made a lot of progress today :) I still die here and there but I managed to open lots of doors in Central Yharnam, and defeated my first boss, the cleric beast, on my 4th or so try.

I am not sure how that happened, to be honest, I was just running away the whole time, I only attacked when the beast jumped at me, I'd evade then hit with that R2 charged attack. later I read somewhere the boss is optional -_- anyway, I got lots of money, lit a new lamp and unlocked a trophy.

that was encouraging, looking forward tomorrow to unlock what seems the last part of central Yharnam and fight Father Gascoigne.

Top Bottom