• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

Trogdor1123

Beat the game, the last few bosses weren't so tough, did most on the 2nd-3rd try. Wanna create a new character with different build for the DLC, or maybe continue this one on NG+
I've heard the dlc on ng+ is just brutally hard. Maybe try it regular first.

Trogdor1123

Oh interesting. Yeah I'll probably grab the remaster then and check it out.
They are great fun. Im really really hoping for a demon souls remaster this year at e3. I totally don't expect it, but im hoping! It's the best imo by far. I really hope the change the world tendancy stuff though...

God that game is good!

I haven't, I better do it then. I actually didn't even think about it. Idon't think I got the key either. Back in I guess!

The Upper Cathedral Ward is a fairly short area but there are werewolves and those irritating squid-head dudes, so it can be quite tough. You can get some blood chunks though.. and the boss is a bit of a bitch too!

Trogdor1123

The Upper Cathedral Ward is a fairly short area but there are werewolves and those irritating squid-head dudes, so it can be quite tough. You can get some blood chunks though.. and the boss is a bit of a bitch too!
Finished it last night, took me a while to find the secret boss there. That took me lots of tries too.

I keep getting absolutely owned by mensis. His one hit kill spell sucks!

Finished it last night, took me a while to find the secret boss there. That took me lots of tries too.

I keep getting absolutely owned by mensis. His one hit kill spell sucks!
Do you mean Micolash? He was a total pain.. I believe you can interrupt his AOE bullshit by shooting him.

Trogdor1123

... so mergo sucks lol. I have 2/3 of the umbilical cord so that's nice. Im almost don't the normal game I assume?

Got Ludwig's holy blade to +10 as well. Bought the blades of mercy and will level them up too. Trontius too.

Where is the best place to level? The mid level part of mergos loft?

Id like to switch to the crow gear as well, sounds awesome but costs a mint.

Trogdor1123

Hold R2 to beat the game.

Really, it's a very powerful weapon. Ignore the 1-handed "bludgeon" form and just rip into things with the 2-handed form.

It is brutal against bosses, especially Beast type.
Well, I guess I better level it then!

Where is the best place for gems? I heard there are +27% damage gems you can get 3 of. Where?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Well, I guess I better level it then!

Where is the best place for gems? I heard there are +27% damage gems you can get 3 of. Where?
If you haven't leveled it to 10 yet, worry about that first. You can get plenty of decent gems in the "normal" areas of the game. I'd add gems that give you raw damage increases. Generally speaking, those are the best gems unless you have a specific build in mind (like a flame-imbued Driver or a Kirkhammer with a ton of Blunt gems).

But to answer your question, the best gems are found in the Chalice dungeons. There's info online about which gems have dropped from where, but you hardly need the "best" to make your weapons stupid-powerful.

Have fun!

Trogdor1123

If you haven't leveled it to 10 yet, worry about that first. You can get plenty of decent gems in the "normal" areas of the game. I'd add gems that give you raw damage increases. Generally speaking, those are the best gems unless you have a specific build in mind (like a flame-imbued Driver or a Kirkhammer with a ton of Blunt gems).

But to answer your question, the best gems are found in the Chalice dungeons. There's info online about which gems have dropped from where, but you hardly need the "best" to make your weapons stupid-powerful.

Have fun!
Is that info current? Lots of it seems old, and before old hunters came out. I don't get too much time to game so I just don't want to waste much if I can avoid it

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Is that info current? Lots of it seems old, and before old hunters came out. I don't get too much time to game so I just don't want to waste much if I can avoid it
It's "current" in the sense that it was true during the months following Old Hunters when I was doing NG+++ with one of my builds. If you include Old Hunters, the notion that you'll get good gems during the normal course of the game is even more true because there are some sick gems in the DLC. The absolute best gems are still found in the Chalices, though, whether or not you're using the DLC.

You have to keep in mind that the damage gems increase by amount (like +30) or by percent (like +10%). I don't recall off the top of my head but I believe the elemental gems (Holy, Fire, Bleeding) work the same way. Percent gems are ideal for weapons that have high base damage (like Kirkhammer, Whirligig, Ludwig's Sword) and amount gems are ideal for fast, low-damage weapons (Blades of Mercy, Threaded Cane) that land a lot of hits. You can get more specific with "+Damage Vs Beast" or "+Blunt Damage" but again this will be highly dependent on your build.

Whether you're going for amount gems or percent gems, you still want your weapon to be as high level as you can, not just for the base damage but also for the additional gem slots. I forget the exact levels at which slots unlock, but you won't have access to all three slots until the weapon has been upgraded several levels.

I'll use Hunter Axe to illustrate: Axe goes from 98 Physical and D STR scaling at Level 0 to 196 Physical and B STR scaling at Level 10. That's a pretty significant leap in damage especially if the character has been pumping their STR stat. Yes, adding gems will make your weapon even more crazy-powerful but it won't compensate for an underlevelled weapon. Besides, pursuing the best gems will take much more time than just upgrading your weapon. So, you might as well do that along the way.

Trogdor1123

Hold R2 to beat the game.

Really, it's a very powerful weapon. Ignore the 1-handed "bludgeon" form and just rip into things with the 2-handed form.

It is brutal against bosses, especially Beast type.
So I've got it level 9 and I must be doing something wrong it's not doing as much damage as my +10 Ludwig. Im super low in arcane (only level 7 or 8) though, am I correct in assuming that is the issue?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
So I've got it level 9 and I must be doing something wrong it's not doing as much damage as my +10 Ludwig. Im super low in arcane (only level 7 or 8) though, am I correct in assuming that is the issue?
I mean... you're comparing it to another one of the most powerful weapons in the game and that's a +10. Arcane will actually help the Ludwig do more damage so no, that's not the issue. Unsure what your stat build is but here's a comparison of the two weapons:

Level 9 Whirligig 176 PHYS Dmg A STR scaling E DEX scaling B ARC scaling
Level 10 Ludwig 200 PHYS Dmg B STR scaling B DEX scaling A ARC scaling

Depending on your gems, the extra 24 damage on the Ludwig will make a pretty big difference.

Also, what are you fighting against? Different moves have different damage profiles. Whirligig excels against Beast-type enemies.

Anyway, hope that information is helpful. Have fun with the Pizza Cutter!

Trogdor1123

I mean... you're comparing it to another one of the most powerful weapons in the game and that's a +10. Arcane will actually help the Ludwig do more damage so no, that's not the issue. Unsure what your stat build is but here's a comparison of the two weapons:

Level 9 Whirligig 176 PHYS Dmg A STR scaling E DEX scaling B ARC scaling
Level 10 Ludwig 200 PHYS Dmg B STR scaling B DEX scaling A ARC scaling

Depending on your gems, the extra 24 damage on the Ludwig will make a pretty big difference.

Also, what are you fighting against? Different moves have different damage profiles. Whirligig excels against Beast-type enemies.

Anyway, hope that information is helpful. Have fun with the Pizza Cutter!
Im about 42 strength, 32 sex, 8 arcane lol. Gems are all around plus 10% more damage.

Im fighting a bit of everything right now. Im fighting the astral tower lady right now. I use the word fight loosely... It's not much of a fight. Only about 30% down

Last edited:
Well, beat mergo solo on my second try, very pleased.

Nice one! Now is a good time to make a duplicate game save so you can try out the different endings and so you can use it to play through the DLC. If you finish the game before playing the DLC, you'll have to play through a fair chunk of NG+ before you can get to it.

Trogdor1123

Nice one! Now is a good time to make a duplicate game save so you can try out the different endings and so you can use it to play through the DLC. If you finish the game before playing the DLC, you'll have to play through a fair chunk of NG+ before you can get to it.
How do you do that?

Also, last night I discovered the amazing love of l2 with the whiligig. I didn't know it did that. I was r1 and r2 all day before that lol. Got astra down to half as well.

Also, I tried to use my small bell to help folks beat a boss like I was helped but no one took me up on it. Is there a trick to it?

How do you do that?

Also, last night I discovered the amazing love of l2 with the whiligig. I didn't know it did that. I was r1 and r2 all day before that lol. Got astra down to half as well.

Also, I tried to use my small bell to help folks beat a boss like I was helped but no one took me up on it. Is there a trick to it?

To create a duplicate save (you can also use this to try out the different endings):

- Go to Hunter's Dream, save the game and close the application

- Insert a USB stick into the PS4

- Go back to the PS4 dashboard. Then select Settings =>Application Saved Data Management

- Select Saved Data in System Storage =>Copy to USB Storage Device

- Select Bloodborne, select the game save (there should only be one file to select), and Copy to USB. The duplicate save will now be on the USB.

- Relaunch the game and carry on playing.

- When you want to load the save state, select Settings =>Application Saved Data Management

- Select USB Storage Device

- Select Copy to System Storage, then select the file. You'll be asked if you want to overwrite the saved data currently on your system. Select yes, and the current save on your PS4 will be replaced with the save file from your USB stick.

- Relaunch the game

Trogdor1123

Holy shit are the guys in the fishing village are cheap...

So are there anymore things to do in the dlc?

I think I have done everything but the fire boss.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Did you kill the shark frogs and get the weapon drop??
Shark frogs?

Also, I just watched a video on YouTube about a wandering boss in a chalice dungeon. Is that legit? Scary as hell haha!

Edit:

Ahh those two... No I haven't. Guess I better try them then!

Last edited:

Pachi72

I wish someone would make a DS/BB game without bosses..they are so cheap and hard....make the levels hard as hell but at least you can run away from hard stuff.

Winchester

So just beat the DLC and the main game tonight. Got the "good" ending. I mean... I can't say that I'm not angry. A silly amount of hours sunk into the game for that ending? Ugh. I'm glad the journey was worth more than the destination.

Winchester

FYI, Dark Souls will take some getting used to. You cannot evade as much as you can in Bloodborne.

Anything to balance that out or is one of your tools just not as effective and you have to get used to that? Still need to pick the game up. Perhaps next pay day.

Red Mage

Anything to balance that out or is one of your tools just not as effective and you have to get used to that? Still need to pick the game up. Perhaps next pay day.

It's meant to be played with a shield. Remember that wood 'shield' at the start of Bloodborne? The flavor text was meant to let Dark Souls players know that the game was different. Instead of using a gun, you parry with a shield and then riposte.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
If anyone is still lurking in here, can anyone provide any tips for Rom..... I can get him to very little health but always end up getting spammed by one of his AOE attacks, seems pretty cheap or maybe I just run out of patience, each attempt is taking me about 25 minutes as I take out all the spiders methodically and then end up getting killed. ruining my playthrough right now :messenger_sad_relieved:

RedVIper

Banned
If anyone is still lurking in here, can anyone provide any tips for Rom..... I can get him to very little health but always end up getting spammed by one of his AOE attacks, seems pretty cheap or maybe I just run out of patience, each attempt is taking me about 25 minutes as I take out all the spiders methodically and then end up getting killed. ruining my playthrough right now :messenger_sad_relieved:

You don't really need to take out all the spiders, just trim a bit to make sure you're safe.
Bolt papper will really up your damage, so if you get him to low health pop on and just finish him quickly.
You can use some arcane def equipment to take less damage from the meteors.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Thanks. I only had one bolt paper from one of those big creepy jailor guys who capture you. I can’t seem to buy them yet. I finally beat him!!! This is ridiculous but seems like a big achievement. Now onwards. Cheers for the advice. I eventually just took my time and took out every spider and then ran in 1 or 2 hits with bolt paper Ludwig’s short blade and ran away again to dodge his ice attack!!! That’s one annoying boss. Glad it’s over but will no doubt get stuck somewhere else soon enough.

2AdEPT

Thanks. I only had one bolt paper from one of those big creepy jailor guys who capture you. I can’t seem to buy them yet. I finally beat him!!! This is ridiculous but seems like a big achievement. Now onwards. Cheers for the advice. I eventually just took my time and took out every spider and then ran in 1 or 2 hits with bolt paper Ludwig’s short blade and ran away again to dodge his ice attack!!! That’s one annoying boss. Glad it’s over but will no doubt get stuck somewhere else soon enough.

I found him really annoying and finally just got "sick of this boss" and went in swinging hard....ironically this is what finally won the fight for me...I think it is best to be aggressive. I also wore the most magic protective gear I could find and evne though I tanked at least one of his AOE's I didnt lose the whole health bar and was abel to heal:

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
I found him really annoying and finally just got "sick of this boss" and went in swinging hard....ironically this is what finally won the fight for me...I think it is best to be aggressive. I also wore the most magic protective gear I could find and evne though I tanked at least one of his AOE's I didnt lose the whole health bar and was abel to heal:

That was some nice work, I actually went back to
Cathedral Ward and bumped in to Eileen the crow and she attacked me, she used to be my friend but she is now hunting everyone apparently!, I killed her and can now buy the blades of mercy but it's 40000 blood echoes, I'm assuming it's worth it though?

2AdEPT

That was some nice work, I actually went back to
Cathedral Ward and bumped in to Eileen the crow and she attacked me, she used to be my friend but she is now hunting everyone apparently!, I killed her and can now buy the blades of mercy but it's 40000 blood echoes, I'm assuming it's worth it though?
Most certainly. I still like the BOM better than the Chikage bloodtinge build but indeed both were awesome. BOM has the highest damage per endurance bar in the game IMO (obviously this improves the longer your bar is!!!).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I am gearing up for replay of this. Last time 2 years ago I couldn't beat maria and kos and I was using Ludwig. It was too slow.
Any idea what to use for 2nd playthrough? Is cane viable? The range and speed is nice

Gamernyc78

Banned
I am gearing up for replay of this. Last time 2 years ago I couldn't beat maria and kos and I was using Ludwig. It was too slow.
Any idea what to use for 2nd playthrough? Is cane viable? The range and speed is nice

Who dares disturb my slumber? "so the world might be mended".

On a serious note I beat most bosses if not all with the axe. I've also been thinking about replaying this beautiful beast of a game its just tht these games are such huge time sinks (once you start you don't want to stop).

Last edited:
Top Bottom