• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT3| I Cane, I Saw, I Conqu- YOU DIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robot Pants

CO-OP INFO:
» GAF Passcode (Quote to View)
» GAF PSN Exchange List (Quote to View)

» Changelog
Version 1.02
-Fixes the issue of not being able to obtain the "Lunarium Key" once the user partakes in online multiplayer as a co-operative guest by using the "Small Resonant Bell" or as a hostile guest by using the "Sinister Resonant Bell" in the area, "Forbidden Woods".
-Fixed Duplication Bug
-Bug fixes

Version 1.01
- Add online functionality
- Game performance and stability improvements.
- Bug fixes

13rlk5.png

227zei.png

3mgxwy.png

4umyr3.png

5ybltv.png

6c7a7r.png

7h6u87.png

reviewsytkf5.png

trophiesfosvp.png

All trophies acquired. Hats off! (Platinum)

Yharnam Sunrise
You lived through the hunt, and saw another day.
(Gold)

Honouring Wishes
Captivated by the moon presence, you pledge to watch over the hunter's dream.
(Gold)

Childhood's Beginning
You became an infant Great One, lifting humanity into its next childhood.
(Gold)

Yharnam, Pthumerian Queen
Defeat Yharnam, Blood Queen of the Old Labyrinth.
(Gold)

Hunter's Essence - Acquire all hunter weapons. (Gold)

Hunter's Craft - Acquire all special hunter tools. (Gold)

Weapon Master - Acquire a weapon of the highest level. (Silver)

Blood Gem Master - Acquire an extremely precious blood gem. (Silver)

Rune Master - Acquire an extremely precious Caryll Rune. (Silver)

Cainhurst
Gain entry to Cainhurst, the lost and ruined castle.
(Silver)

The Choir
Gain entry to the realm of the Choir, the high stratum of the Healing Church.
(Silver)

The Source of the Dream
Discover the abandoned old workshop, the source of the hunter's dream.
(Silver)

Nightmare Lecture Building
Gain entry into the Byrgenwerth lecture building, that drifts within the realm of nightmare.
(Silver)

Father Gascoigne
Defeat the beast that once was Father Gascoigne.
(Bronze)

Vicar Amelia
Defeat the beast that once was Vicar Amelia.
(Bronze)

Shadow of Yharnam
Defeat the Shadow of Yharnam.
(Bronze)

Rom, the Vacuous Spider
Defeat Great One: Rom, the Vacuous Spider.
(Bronze)

The One Reborn
Defeat the One Reborn.
(Bronze)

Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
Defeat Micolash, Host of the Nightmare
. (Bronze)

Mergo's Wet Nurse
Defeat Great One: Mergo's Wet Nurse.
(Bronze)

Cleric Beast
Defeat Cleric Beast.
(Bronze)

Blood-starved Beast
Defeat Blood-starved Beast.
(Bronze)

The Witch of Hemwick
Defeat the Witch of Hemwick.
(Bronze)

Darkbeast Paarl
Defeat Darkbeast Paarl.
(Bronze)

Amygdala
Defeat Great One: Amygdala
(Bronze)

Martyr Logarius
Defeat Martyr Logarius.(Bronze)
(Bronze)

Celestial Emissary
Defeat Great One: Celestial Emissary.
(Bronze)

Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos
Defeat Great One: Ebrietas, Daughter of the Cosmos.
(Bronze)

Blood Gem Contact - Acquire a blood gem that imbues a hunter weapon with special strength. (Bronze)

Rune Contact - Acquire a Caryll Rune that endows hunters with special strength. (Bronze)

Chalice of Pthumeru
Acquire the Chalice of Pthumeru that seals the catacombs that for a web deep below Yharnam.
(Bronze)

Chalice of Ailing Loran
Acquire the Chalice of Ailing Loran that seals the tragic land lost to the sands.
(Bronze)

Chalice of Isz
Acquire the Great Chalice of Isz that seals the home of the cosmic kin.
(Bronze)

1cfu1o.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
2nuuc5.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
30qucc.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
4aiurb.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
54xu8f.jpg

6yhudh.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
7tru5f.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
87uu7i.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
9uduhy.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
10ieuiu.jpg

11tbug4.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
12lqu6g.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
13fvuye.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
148aupp.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
15peu2p.jpg

16l9umy.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
17qcuqi.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
18ajusx.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
19ukuis.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
205xui5.jpg

2150rvk.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
22ozryf.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
23c4qdx.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
24yur6m.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
25j6of9.jpg

26ztqv7.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
27v6q2y.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
28wfpt8.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
297yr97.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
30l8oak.jpg

31b3oky.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
32cfpia.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
3398qjl.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
342jrmr.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
35cfohr.jpg

36krpw6.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
373holl.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
38ncogq.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
39ntonl.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
40nyrjn.jpg

462jqak.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
47wcocw.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
48yuqbr.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
49swq0m.jpg
spacer3kuwd.png
508mrcy.jpg

41gvjcl.png
spacer3kuwd.png
42spj57.png
spacer3kuwd.png
43s8jkg.png
spacer3kuwd.png
44jykkv.png
spacer3kuwd.png
45r7kme.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Beginner's Guide (Thanks to DealWithIt and Afrodium)

» VIdeo by VaatiVidya:
The Beginner's Guide to Bloodborne

Ok, let's try this again:

General FAQ and play advice

R3: "lock onto enemy" It's good to use this to keep track of an enemy. but sometimes it's better to remain unlocked for camera/aiming reasons.

O: Circle performs a roll when not locked on and a dash when locked on. Dashing is essential to the game. dashes and rolls give you a small window of invulnerability to attacks. Dodges are the key to surviving enemies in this game.

Where are my blood vials when I have 20 and I pick up more? Extra vials and bullets go straight into storage. When you die, or visit a lamp they are automatically refilled from your inventory.

How to level up?
Leveling up happens in the Hunter's dream. You talk to the doll. She awakens after you meet the first boss "The Cleric Beast" for the first time. You pay her blood echoes to increase your stats by one point at a time.

What do I do with this gun? Its damage is low: Guns are used for the Bloodborne equivalent of Dark Souls' parry. Shoot the enemy with your gun at close range right before and enemy attacks and they will be stunned. During this stun press r1 to execute a visceral attack for high damage. This is an essential skill for quickly dealing with enemies that hit hard and fast.

Weapon transformations? pressing L1 causes your weapon to transform and have a different moveset. This is especially important when an enemy has a shield. attacking once and then pressing L1 will cause you to perform and guard break transformation attack. Experiment with transformations.

My weapon is broken or its durability is low. There is a workbench where you can reinforce (level up) your weapon or repair. It's in the house by the fire.

Backstabs? to perform a backstab, sneak up behind an enemy and hold R2 to do a charged attack. if it lands the enemy will be briefly stunned. press R1 for a high damage visceral attack animation.

Insight? Insight increases naturally as you explore the game and kill bosses. Insight is consumed when you summon co-op partners to help you in your fight.

Blood Echoes? Blood echoes are the currency of the Bloodborne. You use them to buy items (there is a merchant in the fountain in the Hunter's Dream) and to strengthen your weapon and to increase your stats. Every use of blood echoes is a trade off. Choose wisely!

Where did my Blood Echoes go? I died. Your blood echoes are dropped when you die. If you die again without retrieving them they are lost for good. They will either be in a mark on the ground near where you died (press X to retrieve them) or they will be picked up by a nearby enemy. When you kill this enemy they are regained. It's best to spend your Blood Echoes as soon as you reasonably can. Don't walk around with excess thousands and risk losing your sanguine fortune.

(Feel free to add to this. Can we get this stuff added to the OT or a post near the start? assuming people agree it's a good idea.)

Given the glowing reviews and large marketing campaign, it's safe to assume there's a LOT of newcomers to the Souls (Blood?) series. With the OT moving at a breakneck speed, I thought new players could use a place to post their impressions of the game and ask for any assistance. Are you in love with the game and looking forward to checking out Dark Souls and Demon's Souls next, or are you pissed that you got caught up in the hype and wasted $60? If you're in the latter camp, feel free to vent your frustrations here and maybe someone can give you the advice you need to keep on pushing.

A great beginner's guide can be found here that outlines some information pertaining to classes, weapons scaling, and stats. In addition to that information, I have the following tips.

Blood Echoes don't matter: Don't get too hung up on retrieving your Blood Echoes. I mean, try to preserve them by all means, but understand that losing them is no big deal. Since there's a system in place in which your XP can be lost, the game is balanced around the fact that you won't spend 100% of the XP you gain. If you lose a level or two's worth of Blood Echoes it will suck, yeah, but it doesn't mean you're now under leveled for the rest of the game.

Levels don't beat bosses: Unlike a traditional RPG in which you can beat a boss by simply over leveling it, Bloodborne and the other Souls games don't work that way. If you're stuck on a boss, don't wast hours farming the levels for Blood Echoes in the hopes that you can outlevel it. This won't hurt, but it won't beat the boss alone. If you're stuck on a boss, it's probably because you need to fight better, not because your level is too low.

Shortcuts are the best: I see a lot of new players in the OT asking where the next lantern is. In Bloodborne, you're not going to want to be looking out for lanterns so much as shortcuts. Open every possible door and gate you can and pull every lever and you'll probably find yourself back in a familiar place. The first and second bosses are about 30 seconds away from the same lantern with the right shortcuts opened up.

Improve your weapons: This one is fairly straightforward. Upgrade weapons at the forge. It's just as important as leveling your character. All of the starting weapons improve their scaling levels once upgraded to +2 (Threaded Cane goes from a C in skill to a B in skill, for instance).

Never give up: Goonies never say die

That's all I've got. I'll try to update the OP later with tips from other players. I'd also like to ask that any advice that doesn't have to do with being new to the series (Where do I go after the first boss? What does this key open? Where did the guy in the wheelchair go? etc.) be posted in the OT instead of this topic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chalice Dungeon Beginner's Guide - Thanks to ZangBa
Beginner's Guide to Starting Chalice Dungeons

Alright, I've never done something like this, but I'll try to keep it concise and to the point for anyone asking questions about chalice dungeons. If I miss anything important, and I probably will, let me know. Please don't laugh at my pitiful attempt.

What are Chalice Dungeons?

Chalice Dungeons are optional content you can start doing as soon as you receive your first from the
Blood-starved Beast
. I would recommend starting them as soon as you can, because if you wait until end game, you will end up going through the earlier depth dungeons at a much higher level than intended.

Chalice Dungeons come in several forms: Standard, Root, Sinister, and Defiled.

Standard dungeons can be thought of as the "story" portion of the content. You will need to do these first to obtain better chalices and progress. These are pre-made dungeons by the devs that always have the same loot and bosses.

Root dungeons are randomized in layout, loot, and bosses. This is where you will find things such as uncanny weapons, runes, and powerful gems.

Sinister dungeons are a variant of root dungeons. These dungeons contain bell maidens that summon other players to invade your dungeon. IIRC, these must be purchased inside a standard dungeon of the same depth.

Defiled, well, I think there is only the one, and it is required that you do it while progressing. This cuts your HP in half, and is in my opinion, the most challenging.

In addition, the higher level chalices will require materials that you need to gather inside specific chalices. Eventually, you will be able to purchase most of these through the insight vendor. There are also additional rites that require rare materials found in chalice dungeons. These basically make the dungeon more difficult by spawning certain enemy types or buffing them in some sort of way. I believe the purpose is for better loot, because these enemies generally drop high level gems.

How do I start?

Simply go to any altar and choose to create a chalice. You will also be able to use other players codes at an altar to enter their chalice. You can remove these from your altars at any time, so you have plenty of room to store several favorites if you like sharing. Don't bother sharing standard dungeons, though, as these are the same for everyone.

When inside, your goal is to find lever on each layer to delve deeper. Sometimes in the hallway between layers, you will find a side dungeon. These side dungeons are generally more lucrative, and you will want to do them for the materials that you can find inside chests, especially in Root dungeons. Each layer ends with a boss, and the first 2 are usually pretty easy. Sometimes, the dungeons can go up to 4 layers, with 4 bosses.

Watch out for illusory walls. You will notice some walls seem out of place, and you can attack them to reveal the illusion. You can leave at any point, and your progress is always saved. You won't have to redo bosses, but enemies will respawn.

Why Do Chalice Dungeons?

There are several reasons I would recommend doing them.

1. Some of the best, and most challenging bosses, only appear in there, especially the final boss.
2. Uncanny and lost weapons.
3. HIgh level gems.
4. High level runes.
5. Key Items you can use in the main game,
for example, a ring that allows you to propose to the Vileblood Queen.
6. Apparently NPC's are inside, so if you like lore stuff there's that.
I've seen spider-patches inside and talked to him.
7. Well, I think it's fun.

Common Questions

How do I use the Makeshift Altar and what is it for? You need a key item to use it from I believe, Hintertomb Depth 3. It's for quick searching co-op and pvp in chalice dungeons, and also for finding a random dungeon for you to do.

What is depth? Depth is like a tier of difficulty. D1 is very easy, and D2 is not much more difficult. D3 ramps it up a bit to about level 60ish I'd say at the very least. D4 is about NG+ and D5 is a bit higher than that.

How do I get X Chalice? 3 of them are from the main story, and they drop from these bosses:
Blood-starved Beast, Ebreitas, and Amygdala.
The first Hintertomb chalice is looted in Pthumeru Depth 2. Any other chalice will come from progressing through the "story".

What is the difference between uncanny, lost and normal weapons? They have different gem slots.

What happens to my chalice dungeons when I start NG+? Nothing. They will remain as they were and you will lose nothing. Think of them are being completely separate from the main game.

I tried to use a chalice glyph but it says I don't meet the requirements, what do? You need to create and finish the dungeon type you are searching for first before you can join another. I don't think you need to finish Root dungeons to join random ones.

Woohoo OT3!

Question: I know the game gets harder when u start NG+ but does it get harder yet again when u start NG++? Or is NG+ and NG++ the same in difficulty? (First time completing Souls game)

Kiyo

These threads move too quick.

I just got past the 6th(?) boss
Rom, and past all the respawning mobs. I keep dying to these 3 hunters in this room though.
Any tips or tricks to handling them?

Mendax

Woohoo OT3!

Question: I know the game gets harder when u start NG+ but does it get harder yet again when u start NG++? Or is NG+ and NG++ the same in difficulty? (First time completing Souls game)

it gets harder but the ng to ng+ mode is the biggest gap

Mendax

These threads move too quick.

I just got past the 6th(?) boss
Rom, and past all the respawning trash. I keep dying to these 3 hunters in this room though. Any tips or tricks to handling them?

try to lure 1 back outside and use the corners and fences to your advantage (charge power sweeps etc)

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Jesus, OT 3 already. Can't wait to join in with you all. Just started Dark Souls 1. Once I'm done with those, I plan on grabbing a PS4 for Bloodborne.

Foffy

Banned
Anyone got any tactics on how to deal with
the Watchdog in the Chalice? The second fight where your health is cut in half. He always one shots me if he hits me.

Raonak

Banned
Had 4 good sittings. making good progress each time.
I think i've reached the 3rd boss now, but there's also other places I havent gone back to yet that I should try.

I really love that feeling of opening a shortcut, so fucking satisfying.

mxgt

Banned
Quite surprised with what I played of NG+, in previous Souls games I'd steamroll through most of NG+ but
Cleric Beast took FOREVER even with a +10 holy blade and fire paper

zoobzone

OT3 already? damn that was quick.

Anyway, I had around 20 insight earlier then few hours later with progression my insight dropped to 16 - I didn't consume anything. Where did they go?

NeoGiff

Already?!

I finally defeated B
lood-starved Beast
last night on my fourth attempt. It's great to end a play session on a high note.

I've seen people in the previous threads mentioning their high play times. When I defeated the above boss, my total play time was clocked at about 6 hours. Would that be around average, slow, or fast? The only other Souls game I've finished is Dark Souls itself.

I'm not sure you what you mean by "health is cut in half". I've fought and beaten that boss twice across two different Chalices and I don't recall this.

I think in the chalice dungeons there are variations of the bossfights where you have to fight with half your HP bar?

There were posts in OT2 where people had it happen with other bosses too. Like having to fight
Amygdala
with half HP bar

I'm at the red moon. Fuck all of this. It's just madness at this point. I'm digging my own dementia, I'm drowning in my own nightmare. Patience is getting thin. The game is winning.

I think in the chalice dungeons there are variations of the bossfights where you have to fight with half your HP bar?

There were posts in OT2 where people had it happen with other bosses too. Like having to fight
Amygdala
with half HP bar

Must be in later Chalices. I've done Chalices up to Lower H
intertomb
and never experienced that restriction.

newsguy

This game has me bipolar. One second I'm praising it's atmosphere and tightness of controls, the next I'm shouting at my wife what a fucking piece of shit it is. She's like "I haven't seen you so angry at a game."

I really wish there was some way to
save Gascoigne's kid. :(

I cared more for her than I did the majority of NPCs in the souls series.

jaaz

OT3 already? damn that was quick.

Anyway, I had around 20 insight earlier then few hours later with progression my insight dropped to 16 - I didn't consume anything. Where did they go?

You didn't happen to meet any squid-looking things that sucked your brains out did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom